Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Tow/Haul Senior Moment

1FstGPa

Reaction score
So I had a "Senior Moment" towing the fifth wheel 30-40 miles without the tow/haul engaged after one of our many-many stops we had to do to keep the on-board crew pacified. The amazing thing was the transmission never showed on the gauge that it was running anything but the normal temperature (167-170).

This little mis-adventure got me to thinking about this 'much needed' necessity to haul some weight around. If Chrysler gave thought to this, the need for tow/haul would be there after a stop to save on destroying the transmission. More appropriate than to be concerned about the need the other way around.

So here's my question: Is there a work around to stop and start and to keep the tow/haul engaged until one pushes the button again to dis-engage? If there is and based on my forgetfulness, lately, I would sure like to know about it! On the other hand, maybe it's not possible?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
It is possible with tuners, could also be possible with AlphaOBD.
How big is your trailer? When I had mine, which was in about 4000-4500# range, I didn't need no tow/haul.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
It and the EB (if equipped) should stay the way you set them as long as the trailer stays plugged in. Maybe the hemi is different.

1FstGPa

Reaction score
It is possible with tuners, could also be possible with AlphaOBD.
How big is your trailer? When I had mine, which was in about 4000-4500# range, I didn't need no tow/haul.
Fifth wheel that is around 10,500 when fully loaded and it was fully loaded. Yes, I thought it might involve a tuner. Unfortunately, I did talk myself out of buying a tuner for this ride. My last truck - the 1500 Ram I traded in for this one - had a tuner until the dealership decided they wanted to steal it for themselves. Long, interesting story, but one where I decided to make use of one, if I needed one, from other sources.

1FstGPa

Reaction score
It and the EB (if equipped) should stay the way you set them as long as the trailer stays plugged in. Maybe the hemi is different.
All diesel power and no the tow/haul kicks out after a stop and restart. The eb on the other hand stays in.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Its hit and miss for most of us from what i have gathered on here

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Heres the thing back in the day tow haul was needed to lock out OD to keep the revs high and temps down not so much anymore it just changes the shift pattern so tow haul is not a biggie like it used to be with the 47re and 48re

jeffn

Reaction score
10,500 is not a heavy load, I’m not sure I would even bother with tow/haul unless I am in hill country. If the transmission is not hunting for gears, it is a good indication you don’t need tow/haul activated.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
FWIW, my tow/haul and EB has to be turned back on every time I stop and start the truck. I do have the CTD but no Aisin?

flan

Reaction score
I’ve had a tow haul senior moment, I hit tow haul instead of the exhaust brake a few times. Took me a couple stop and go’s before figuring why my rpms were running out and wasn’t slowing down as I expected

stinson87

Reaction score
I wish the tow haul and EB was a toggle... Mine has to be reset every time!
I currently only use it to record towing miles vs non towing. my trailer is 3800lbs behind the HO/aisin/4.10 so I don't really need it, but like to record miles.

only way mine auto starts is when my wife is in the truck :D she always wants to see the 3 lights on, TOW, EB, REAR Sensor disable. so she toggles the EB to auto and the TOW on every time we start the truck.

1FstGPa

Reaction score
I wish the tow haul and EB was a toggle... Mine has to be reset every time!
I currently only use it to record towing miles vs non towing. my trailer is 3800lbs behind the HO/aisin/4.10 so I don't really need it, but like to record miles.

only way mine auto starts is when my wife is in the truck :D she always wants to see the 3 lights on, TOW, EB, REAR Sensor disable. so she toggles the EB to auto and the TOW on every time we start the truck.
That's not a bad idea. Make it her responsibility to set tow/haul after every stop. ;) A solution? Hmmm? The only question I have is, what happens when you're out there without her? Yikes! LOL!

I've given this some thought and was wondering if there would be any harm (long or short term) re-routing the tow/haul switch to battery vs. ignition? It would stay engaged, through-out the road trip, unless I am missing something in my thought process and how tow/haul actually works?... Otherwise, why would the factory insist it to be disengaged after each stop???

ckreef

Reaction score
With a Hemi, tow haul mode will disengage Eco (4 cylinder) mode. What I really want is to toggle switch the Eco mode. I wish they didn't even have an Eco mode.

1FstGPa

Reaction score
With a Hemi, tow haul mode will disengage Eco (4 cylinder) mode. What I really want is to toggle switch the Eco mode. I wish they didn't even have an Eco mode.
How I hated MDS in my 2008 Ram 1500! I ran it by switching it off with a tuner. It was absolutely worthless in city and mountain driving. Come to find out, the early versions were creating problems with the higher mileage HEMIs (I forgot exactly what it was, but I know I read something about it somewhere)). Here's an article about it if you want to learn a little more about this feature > https://www.iwflsports.com/how-to-disable-mds-on-hemi/

stinson87

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea. Make it her responsibility to set tow/haul after every stop. ;) A solution? Hmmm? The only question I have is, what happens when you're out there without her? Yikes! LOL!

I've given this some thought and was wondering if there would be any harm (long or short term) re-routing the tow/haul switch to battery vs. ignition? It would stay engaged, through-out the road trip, unless I am missing something in my thought process and how tow/haul actually works?... Otherwise, why would the factory insist it to be disengaged after each stop???
You could do this aftermarket. by using an arduino or microprocessor to trigger a "button press" that is spliced into the switches and triggered each time based off the previous state, but id rather it just be an OEM option :/

stinson87

Reaction score
How I hated MDS in my 2008 Ram 1500! I ran it by switching it off with a tuner. It was absolutely worthless in city and mountain driving. Come to find out, the early versions were creating problems with the higher mileage HEMIs (I forgot exactly what it was, but I know I read something about it somewhere)). Here's an article about it if you want to learn a little more about this feature > https://www.iwflsports.com/how-to-disable-mds-on-hemi/
it causes excessive cam wear due to low oil pressure.

stinson87

Reaction score
Heres the thing back in the day tow haul was needed to lock out OD to keep the revs high and temps down not so much anymore it just changes the shift pattern so tow haul is not a biggie like it used to be with the 47re and 48re
in the 47 and 48re the problem wasn't OD... it was the entire transmission unit :rolleyes::D

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
in the 47 and 48re the problem wasn't OD... it was the entire transmission unit :rolleyes::D
The 48re certainly wasn't a great stock transmission, but it can be built for higher HP than the 68rfe. Some of the big HP guys even end up replacing the 68 with a 48. My 48re held up great in my 2007. Programmed with 37s on it for it most of its life. I kept waiting for it to die so I could go full billet with it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
All of mine lasted fine in stock form my 05 i just rebuilt at 170k miles only needed the accumulator seal but i figured why not do it all that was with a programer on 35s and a lot of towing.... still shifted strong i just had to let off the throttle for the 1-2 shift

RV_Goose

Reaction score
While connected to a trailer, I have to turn on the tow haul and EB everytime I stop and start my 2020 3500 Tradesman diesel dually. Are other trims different?

Users who are viewing this thread