Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

87 octane vs 89 octane, fuel economy differences

techman

Reaction score
Using a slow burn fuel or high(er) octane rated fuel has no more energy than fast burn low(er) octane.

Octane is just a rating of gas stability or its detonation point.

Use what the manual says....otherwise it is just a drag on your wallet.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
What would be my purpose in lying here? Do people really lie about these things for internet fame?
Did you recalibrate for the larger tires?
Ice got 53K Mike's on my PW with 35s and recalibrate.
I've seen 16 MPG once, but was averaging about 50 MPH due to traffic.

flan

Reaction score
What would be my purpose in lying here? Do people really lie about these things for internet fame?
People always lie about fuel mileage. I hate talking to competing truck brand owners at the diesel pump they always get 10mpg more than me, then act surprised when I tell them what I actually get. Not saying you’re lying. Just having fun.

Enve46

Reaction score
Did you recalibrate for the larger tires?
Ice got 53K Mike's on my PW with 35s and recalibrate.
I've seen 16 MPG once, but was averaging about 50 MPH due to traffic.
Yup used Jscan. I already said I average a little over 9mpg cause Im 99% city, short drives etc. But can get up there on the highway. Its so odd that people think its a lie when my average is atrocious.

Last edited:

Enve46

Reaction score
People always lie about fuel mileage. I hate talking to competing truck brand owners at the diesel pump they always get 10mpg more than me, then act surprised when I tell them what I actually get. Not saying you’re lying. Just having fun.
Yea I get it. I dont know why its a point to lie about when there's data out there on Fuelly that will tell the truth. As I mentioned, I get low 9s right now with what I do. My 2019 Mega cab on 37s, deleted, tuned would get mid to high 11s. Not significant to justify it. Nevermind the things you have to think about and deal with being a diesel.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Yup used Jscan. I already said I average a little over 9mpg cause Im 99% city, short drives etc. But can get up there on the highway. Its so odd that people think its a lie when my average is atrocious.

No one cares what happens on the highway -- this is why poeple give others crap about these outlandish numbers.

Hell, my dually HO on 35's will do 20mpg on the highway for 30 seconds on flat ground at 55 mph if I try real hard.

The real way to measure your MPG is to first ensure your tires are calibrated to your speedo. Then reset your trip meter to 0 and fill up your tank at that gas station. Drive the truck until E and then go back and fill up. Take your total trip miles and divide by how many gallons you used.

This is "overall" hand-calculated MPG and is the only real measure.

I can promise you -- you won't be at 16-17mpg.

Enve46

Reaction score
No one cares what happens on the highway -- this is why poeple give others crap about these outlandish numbers.

Hell, my dually HO on 35's will do 20mpg on the highway for 30 seconds on flat ground at 55 mph if I try real hard.

The real way to measure your MPG is to first ensure your tires are calibrated to your speedo. Then reset your trip meter to 0 and fill up your tank at that gas station. Drive the truck until E and then go back and fill up. Take your total trip miles and divide by how many gallons you used.

This is "overall" hand-calculated MPG and is the only real measure.

I can promise you -- you won't be at 16-17mpg.
Yup, this is the way my Dad taught me at a young age, before you know, on board computers told us all the lies! My tires are calibrated and is dead nuts with GPS speed. I reset Trip A every fill up and Trip B is for oil change. That trip was all highway, 72 mph cruise set and was in between 16-17, I dont recall the exact figure as I didn't think this was some anomaly. My 2016 with the 6 speed, 373s and 37s with do low 15s on the highway in North Carolina regularly, so I didn't think this was some one off occurrence.

I will say my onboard lie-o-meter is pretty accurate for around town. It says 9.1 and last tank was 9.2. My 2019 was the worst onboard lie and my 2022 was close to accurate as well.

ollicat

Reaction score
As a daily driver mostly around town, I get around 12.5 to 13.5 mpg in my 2023 Megacab 4 x 4.

Dodgeman

Reaction score
On a similar note, I’ve never heard about anyone going to Las Vegas and losing money.

oppizzippo

Reaction score
As a daily driver, mostly running to DQ for lunch and longer highway drives on the weekends to the "big" city. I average 11.5 according to the computer, I don't hand calculate because I'm lazy. I had a 2015 PW and the manual said 89, so I'm still in the habit of doing 89 or higher when I buy gas. I like the warm fuzzy feeling I get buying premium for her once in awhile....or is that a light wallet feeling? It's hard to tell the difference sometimes... I always told people my PW averaged 12MPG loaded or empty, seems this truck is doing about the same.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Man, I wish I could get those kinds of numbers.
City is 9 on a good day.
All Highway is between 12.5 and 13.5

I did find out that anything over 75 MPH doesent matter, the MPG is the same.
Anything under and it will make a difference. Lower the speed, better the MPG.
This is with all highway driving.

Enve46

Reaction score
Man, I wish I could get those kinds of numbers.
City is 9 on a good day.
All Highway is between 12.5 and 13.5

I did find out that anything over 75 MPH doesent matter, the MPG is the same.
Anything under and it will make a difference. Lower the speed, better the MPG.
This is with all highway driving.
Are you in elevation? I’m in Nashville area so there’s lots of hills but nothing major. My 9.2 is also with lots of remote starts and warm up time.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I was at sea level, flat roads. I'm now at 5200 ft in the mountains.
After leaving Cali, I've noticed my mileage has gone up some. But I've driven down into Baja with it. Thru AZ, all over Nevada and Cali.
Mileage has been about the same everywhere.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Using a slow burn fuel or high(er) octane rated fuel has no more energy than fast burn low(er) octane.

Octane is just a rating of gas stability or its detonation point.

Use what the manual says....otherwise it is just a drag on your wallet.
As been mentioned the ignition timing will affect the power output and fuel economy if the engine is tuned to take advantage of higher octane fuel.
My wife's got an Infiniti SUV and the manual calls for a minimum of 87 but recommends premium. We get noticeably more miles per tank of premium and power output / responsiveness is much better on premium.
With my work being away for a month every 2nd month, I can always tell which fuel is in the tank when I get back home and jump into it.

Enve46

Reaction score
I was at sea level, flat roads. I'm now at 5200 ft in the mountains.
After leaving Cali, I've noticed my mileage has gone up some. But I've driven down into Baja with it. Thru AZ, all over Nevada and Cali.
Mileage has been about the same everywhere.
Interesting. I remember my 2016 changing quite noticeably after 13k miles. Better economy, better power. I sure hope this one doesn't get worse hahaha Im only at 1200 miles.

techman

Reaction score
We get noticeably more miles per tank of premium and power output / responsiveness is much better on premium.

Can you quantify this? Do you have real world numbers or is this a seat of your pants evaluation?

ClawSS

Reaction score
Anyone run the numbers on a Daily Driven "something else" vs just running your truck? You are now paying for fuel, maintenance (tires-oil-shocks, etc), & insurance on another vehicle + what you are paying on the truck.
If you needed to buy the "other" outright then that could have been used to offset the cost of just driving your truck.
If you kept your old vehicle and bought the truck, are you running the risk that the truck just sitting could cause those "lot-rot" demons to pop up (ex...heater core clogging due to lack of use, sticky lifters, wiped cams due to low oiling from sitting around)?

I bought my truck to drive as my daily. 110mi round trip every day. Right at 25-28k per year. I have not and will not tow with it and only have hauled around my 37" spare in the bed. Why would I want to have to maintain another car?

On Topic, I get 12.6-13.4 mpg on my routine....on 37's with 4.10s. Always run 87....this is the cheapest to operate vehicle I own considering everything else is modified.

whitexc

Reaction score
Anyone run the numbers on a Daily Driven "something else" vs just running your truck? You are now paying for fuel, maintenance (tires-oil-shocks, etc), & insurance on another vehicle + what you are paying on the truck.
If you needed to buy the "other" outright then that could have been used to offset the cost of just driving your truck.
If you kept your old vehicle and bought the truck, are you running the risk that the truck just sitting could cause those "lot-rot" demons to pop up (ex...heater core clogging due to lack of use, sticky lifters, wiped cams due to low oiling from sitting around)?

I bought my truck to drive as my daily. 110mi round trip every day. Right at 25-28k per year. I have not and will not tow with it and only have hauled around my 37" spare in the bed. Why would I want to have to maintain another car?

On Topic, I get 12.6-13.4 mpg on my routine....on 37's with 4.10s. Always run 87....this is the cheapest to operate vehicle I own considering everything else is modified.

I’ve had (the luxury if you will) a truck and some sort of knock around be it something cool and burnout-ish to my current puddle jumper daily for the last 20+ yrs. It’s built into the budget and I like options. Same could be said for the 5er that sits way more than it’s used and two sleds in an enclosed trailer that are an Uber waste of funds.

I think if we get into that equation the topic goes way sideways real quick. Yes, those funds would have done wonders to support the truck and additional goodies.

Sent from me

Users who are viewing this thread