Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8-speed trans oil pan

wolfpack

Reaction score
So just crawled under my brand new 2500 with the 8-speed trans. Disappointed to see the pan is plastic. There’s got to be an aftermarket replacement that’s made of something known as metal. I’ll be looking to swap out at the first trans service. Anyone else do this or have any recommendations?

Christofo

Reaction score
Not sure on a replacement pan but FYI the manual says the fluid in the 8-speed is good for life of the vehicle and requires no maintenance.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Not sure on a replacement pan but FYI the manual says the fluid in the 8-speed is good for life of the vehicle and requires no maintenance.
Also fyi. ZF says differently, on their information I believe it's 60-80k under heavy use and 100k if normal use. I'd have to look again to be sure on mileage. But it isn't lifetime according to them. And they make it.

flan

Reaction score
That’s what ford said about the PTU oil in my wife’s explorer, needless to say with 70k on it I just ordered a new one at the tune of $700. Lubed for life is bogus, except if the manufacturers mean until the warranty is expired.

Aaandroger

Reaction score
So just crawled under my brand new 2500 with the 8-speed trans. Disappointed to see the pan is plastic. There’s got to be an aftermarket replacement that’s made of something known as metal. I’ll be looking to swap out at the first trans service. Anyone else do this or have any recommendations?

Quick google search, but I have no experience swapping in a metal pan. I have done a pan drop and multiple drain and fills on he zf transmission though. It is definitely not filled for the life of the vehicle.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Also fyi. ZF says differently, on their information I believe it's 60-80k under heavy use and 100k if normal use. I'd have to look again to be sure on mileage. But it isn't lifetime according to them. And they make it.
I suppose that would be relevant if ZF built the trans used on the Hemi HD Rams, but they don’t.

wolfpack

Reaction score
Until a rock pokes a hole in it and then it does require maintenance! ;)

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I suppose that would be relevant if ZF built the trans used on the Hemi HD Rams, but they don’t.
Enlighten me.
ZF designed and made it until ram could setup production line. Even if they don't make it. Who do you trust more the engineers who designed it. Or the engineers who got the pdf from ZF and took it to corporate bean counters?

I guarantee ZF is the better schedule to follow. All they care about are transmissions. Ram just cares on saving production costs and keeping customers running long enough to be through warranty.

wolfpack

Reaction score

Quick google search, but I have no experience swapping in a metal pan. I have done a pan drop and multiple drain and fills on he zf transmission though. It is definitely not filled for the life of the vehicle.
I like the looks of that one. Guess I’ll go with it and it’ll be an excuse to put Amsoil ATF in it at an early age!

I’m still an old school guy on trannies. 30k miles. Don’t care what the book says. I’ve had all my slushboxes go 250k miles. They might’ve gone more, don’t know, unloaded the vehicles at that point.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
I like the looks of that one. Guess I’ll go with it and it’ll be an excuse to put Amsoil ATF in it at an early age!

I’m still an old school guy on trannies. 30k miles. Don’t care what the book says. I’ve had all my slushboxes go 250k miles. They might’ve gone more, don’t know, unloaded the vehicles at that point.
That's what I hate about not having a dip stick. Had to do my wife's suburban at 55k. But you know. I could check it without crawling under the thing and monitor it easy.

el_barto

Reaction score
Enlighten me.
ZF designed and made it until ram could setup production line. Even if they don't make it. Who do you trust more the engineers who designed it. Or the engineers who got the pdf from ZF and took it to corporate bean counters?

I guarantee ZF is the better schedule to follow. All they care about are transmissions. Ram just cares on saving production costs and keeping customers running long enough to be through warranty.
Pretty sure the ZF 8HP75 on the HD trucks is made by ZF. The “TorqueFlight” 8-speed is licensed by ZF for Chrysler to manufacture.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
Pretty sure the ZF 8HP75 on the HD trucks is made by ZF. The “TorqueFlight” 8-speed is licensed by ZF for Chrysler to manufacture.
That was my understanding. I was replying to the other guy (jimmy07) who said my info wasn't useful because zf didn't make the trans. I was confused by that.

wolfpack

Reaction score
because I added a skid plate. Stock they do not have any protection even on Power Wagons.
Copy that. There is no skid plate on my stock 2500. The plastic pan is just hanging out there waiting to be punctured by anything that’s harder than plastic (ie - just about anything).

JimKIII

Reaction score
because I added a skid plate. Stock they do not have any protection even on Power Wagons.
Did you make the skid plate or buy a package? If a package, do you have a link to a web site?

Users who are viewing this thread