Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7's First Oil Change - I did not see that coming....

RTillery

Reaction score
After nearly a half million miles of 15-40 oil changes on my good old 04, I thought I had it down pretty pat. I pulled that big plug out of my 19 HO the first time, and the 5-40 was slightly warm. Holy crap, it's a Black Tsunami. Seemed so much thinner and went everywhere. Splashed up out of my big drain pan, on the floor, down my arm, all over my face, hair and shop coat. I looked like Tar-Baby. I came out from under there cussing, but laughing at the same time.
I ordered the Finger Touch valve from Genos and got the screw on cap, and the tube extension. I cut a piece of hose that fits a few inches down into a 2 1/2 gallon DEF jug and it holds just the right amount for a drain. Slip the jug under the hose and open the valve. It takes a little longer to drain, but I don't spill a drop. I start working on the filter while it drains. I like it because it has the screw on cap for a little insurance. Probably unnecessary but it doesn't rob any clearance and gives a little piece of mind. No more black bath for me.

downsc123

Reaction score
After nearly a half million miles of 15-40 oil changes on my good old 04, I thought I had it down pretty pat. I pulled that big plug out of my 19 HO the first time, and the 5-40 was slightly warm. Holy crap, it's a Black Tsunami. Seemed so much thinner and went everywhere. Splashed up out of my big drain pan, on the floor, down my arm, all over my face, hair and shop coat. I looked like Tar-Baby. I came out from under there cussing, but laughing at the same time.
I ordered the Finger Touch valve from Genos and got the screw on cap, and the tube extension. I cut a piece of hose that fits a few inches down into a 2 1/2 gallon DEF jug and it holds just the right amount for a drain. Slip the jug under the hose and open the valve. It takes a little longer to drain, but I don't spill a drop. I start working on the filter while it drains. I like it because it has the screw on cap for a little insurance. Probably unnecessary but it doesn't rob any clearance and gives a little piece of mind. No more black bath for me.
Did you need to buy the seperate o-ring or did it come with one?

bamorris2

Reaction score
I leaned my lesson after my 1st oil change at home, where my driveway looked like the aftermath of the Exxon Valdez. Next time I used a 5 gallon Homer bucket. Had to trim an inch or two from the top rim, but now it fits perfectly under the oil pan. Open the fill cap, remove the drain plug, and it fills the Homer bucket very cleanly. Just have to fish the drain plug out with a magnetic stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
The same thing crossed my mind, so I measured how tall the internal nut is and took a grinder and cut a small notch in the drain valve threads down to that measurement, now it will drain down as far as it did originally
I did the same, except I cut 4 notches deeper than the original. Works well.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I put the fumoto valve on my 18 Ram Cummins. Being this was not my first diesel, I had it in hand before the first oil change. Worked well, but I didn't like how it stuck down in the middle of the oil pan. Just looked too exposed. So I replaced it with a "No Spill" compact oil drain valve on the next oil change. I like that design better, but either are way better than the OEM plug.
They are great systems makes changing the oil in the transports a breeze aswell! I put a fumoto on my 19 but my 01 has the no spill

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
OP you can do it very cleanly with the OEM plug if you put a shop vac on the fill hole and then pull the plug no oil comes out until the vacuum is turned off and if you need to pause the oil draining just fire the vaccum back up

davidh1329

Reaction score
Take a sharp utility knife and cut the top out of that pan, leaving the ridge where the tray portion meets for next time. 12 quarts of warm oil comes out in a hurry and with the tray missing you can see any glitter or worse with the only opening being the small hole it’s a guessing game.
I think the glitter would have been easy to spot with the oil spread thinly across the driveway!

BTroupe

Reaction score
I put a valvomax on mine, didn't spill a drop last oil change. Now that rear fuel filter on the other hand, lol I've gotten better but I don't think there's a way to not spill any.

Last edited:

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
I put a valvomax on mine, didn't spill a from last oil change. Now that rear fuel filter on the other hand, lol I've gotten better but I don't think there's a way to not spill any.
Here's the answer to the rear filter change:

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I hadn't had much trouble with mess until....

2nd change, I was in a hurry, that was my first mistake. Then I got all pissed about how buried the oil filter is. I was still steaming about that when I started dumping oil. Good thing I can only carry 2 jugs at once. When returning from grabbing the 3rd jug, I saw something under the truck that didn't look right. I leaned down to see an oil slick about as wide as the truck. My drain pan easily holds a change of oil but obviously doesn't hold a change of oil plus 2 gallons. I've been doing this for 40+ years and if I've ever dumped in new oil before reinstalling the drain plug, I don't remember it.

This was going to be my last change of 10W-30 then switch to 5W-40. Good thing I already had the 5W-40 on the shelf, I just stepped up my timeline for the switch. So $50 worth of oil on the floor plus all the floor dry in my bin plus another bag of kitty litter that I rustled up from the house later, I got to start on the fuel filters, so that didn't help my mood.

Bottom line, I was able to drain the oil without making a mess. I'll likely just stick with my OEM drain plug.

Lesson learned for me, hopefully. Just thought some of you all might get a laugh out of it.

Last edited:

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Stuff happens …my fork-ups have always happened when in a hurry or being distracted by my wife or kid. o_O

Nick

Reaction score
I put a valvomax on mine, didn't spill a drop last oil change. Now that rear fuel filter on the other hand, lol I've gotten better but I don't think there's a way to not spill any.
A member showed how to make a rear fuel filter removal tool . simple and it works ! Just search for it .

jj1101

Reaction score
I hadn't had much trouble with mess until....

2nd change, I was in a hurry, that was my first mistake. Then I got all pissed about how buried the oil filter is. I was still steaming about that when I started dumping oil. Good thing I can only carry 2 jugs at once. When returning from grabbing the 3rd jug, I saw something under the truck that didn't look right. I leaned down to see an oil slick about as wide as the truck. My drain pan easily holds a change of oil but obviously doesn't hold a change of oil plus 2 gallons. I've been doing this for 40+ years and if I've ever dumped in new oil before reinstalling the drain plug, I don't remember it.

This was going to be my last change of 10W-30 then switch to 5W-40. Good thing I already had the 5W-40 on the shelf, I just stepped up my timeline for the switch. So $50 worth of oil on the floor plus all the floor dry in my bin plus another bag of kitty litter that I rustled up from the house later, I got to start on the fuel filters, so that didn't help my mood.

Bottom line, I was able to drain the oil without making a mess. I'll likely just stick with my OEM drain plug.

Lesson learned for me, hopefully. Just thought some of you all might get a laugh out of it.

Well, you are not the only one. I did the exact same thing but dumped 3 gallons of oil and my additive of Archoil too. That was $120 worth. Then on top of that I forgot to close the drain in the fuel filter housing while swapping it and dumped about 3 gallons of diesel on the floor. That was a bad day. Wish I hadn't gotten out of bed that day.

flan

Reaction score
I’ll never forget a friend doing that with 3 gallons of royal purple in his 12 valve. What an expensive mess to clean up...

Mikeyram

Reaction score
My 3500 was due for its first oil change and being cheap I decided to do it myself. I have changed lots of oil over the years. One of my first jobs was changing tires and oil at a Kmart. Over the years, I started paying someone else to do it because I am just so messy it was not worth the effort. Today being cheap won out.

I carefully made sure my catch container was big enough, 15 qt is bigger than 12 qt = we're good. It is one of those round pans with the sloped top that hold the oil until you are ready to pour it out the spout. Me and the catch pan are under the truck and I remove the plug. Wow! That came out fast and splashed everywhere! Then the top of the container is filling up faster than it drains into the bottom, again everywhere. I am now laying with my finger stuck in the oil pan drain hole waiting on the container to catch up......my gosh! A bag of cat litter later and I think it will be okay. Overall, still better than paying a dealer and made for a funny memory. I'll have a better pan for next time :)

The fuel filter change yesterday went surprisingly better than expected.
David I’m almost ready for my first oil change. I feel prepared. I am thinking about not changing my fuel filters. I can’t see them being restricted so soon. Should I just on a recommendation from Ram. Thank you, I need advise it’s my first Fidel truck

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles on the current filters? How old is the truck?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
David I’m almost ready for my first oil change. I feel prepared. I am thinking about not changing my fuel filters. I can’t see them being restricted so soon. Should I just on a recommendation from Ram. Thank you, I need advise it’s my first Fidel truck
I would change the filters at the 15k miles like it states in the manual

Mikeyram

Reaction score
How many miles on the current filters? How old is the truck?
Only six months old 5000 miles. I thought filter were supposed to be changed at ever oil change. My bad I guess. I have trouble finding nderstanding things sometimes. Thank y’all for input

Users who are viewing this thread