Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7's First Oil Change - I did not see that coming....

davidh1329

Reaction score
My 3500 was due for its first oil change and being cheap I decided to do it myself. I have changed lots of oil over the years. One of my first jobs was changing tires and oil at a Kmart. Over the years, I started paying someone else to do it because I am just so messy it was not worth the effort. Today being cheap won out.

I carefully made sure my catch container was big enough, 15 qt is bigger than 12 qt = we're good. It is one of those round pans with the sloped top that hold the oil until you are ready to pour it out the spout. Me and the catch pan are under the truck and I remove the plug. Wow! That came out fast and splashed everywhere! Then the top of the container is filling up faster than it drains into the bottom, again everywhere. I am now laying with my finger stuck in the oil pan drain hole waiting on the container to catch up......my gosh! A bag of cat litter later and I think it will be okay. Overall, still better than paying a dealer and made for a funny memory. I'll have a better pan for next time :)

The fuel filter change yesterday went surprisingly better than expected.

flan

Reaction score
Take a sharp utility knife and cut the top out of that pan, leaving the ridge where the tray portion meets for next time. 12 quarts of warm oil comes out in a hurry and with the tray missing you can see any glitter or worse with the only opening being the small hole it’s a guessing game.

Rudy35

Reaction score
Agree, open up, fill a 5 qt jug, close and get another empty jug, open up etc. Works great!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I put a cardboard box with the top and bottom open between the oil pan and catch pan to reduce the splashing. It doesn’t take much spillage to make a mess.

jetrinka

Reaction score
A man hasn't truly lived until he's completely bathed in diesel oil. Then assert your authority by going into the house and giving your loving wife a big old hug and kiss - it really makes them happy in my experience.

CforHD

Reaction score
I found a YouTube video where a guy used one if those Craftsman red & black locking totes. Total game changer; zero mess.

jebruns

Reaction score
Same thing happended to me on my first oil change. Spilled oil everywhere. I ordered a Fumotomo oil drain plug online. Best ivestemt I have make for my 2012 CTD 2500. Fumotousa.com.
I put the fumoto valve on my 18 Ram Cummins. Being this was not my first diesel, I had it in hand before the first oil change. Worked well, but I didn't like how it stuck down in the middle of the oil pan. Just looked too exposed. So I replaced it with a "No Spill" compact oil drain valve on the next oil change. I like that design better, but either are way better than the OEM plug.

Rudy35

Reaction score
I put the fumoto valve on my 18 Ram Cummins. Being this was not my first diesel, I had it in hand before the first oil change. Worked well, but I didn't like how it stuck down in the middle of the oil pan. Just looked too exposed. So I replaced it with a "No Spill" compact oil drain valve on the next oil change. I like that design better, but either are way better than the OEM plug.
Interesting product. The Fumoto does stick down from the middle of the pan. I put one of the plastic locks on mine to hopefully prevent any issues.

John Jensen

Reaction score
My 3500 was due for its first oil change and being cheap I decided to do it myself. I have changed lots of oil over the years. One of my first jobs was changing tires and oil at a Kmart. Over the years, I started paying someone else to do it because I am just so messy it was not worth the effort. Today being cheap won out.

I carefully made sure my catch container was big enough, 15 qt is bigger than 12 qt = we're good. It is one of those round pans with the sloped top that hold the oil until you are ready to pour it out the spout. Me and the catch pan are under the truck and I remove the plug. Wow! That came out fast and splashed everywhere! Then the top of the container is filling up faster than it drains into the bottom, again everywhere. I am now laying with my finger stuck in the oil pan drain hole waiting on the container to catch up......my gosh! A bag of cat litter later and I think it will be okay. Overall, still better than paying a dealer and made for a funny memory. I'll have a better pan for next time :)

The fuel filter change yesterday went surprisingly better than expected.
Get a Fumato valave

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Get a Fumato valave

There are very few reported issues, but as a guy who has had sticks on USFS roads dent/damage oil pans I’d just be too nervous running anything but a flush mount plug.

The icing on the cake is the fake oil pressure gauge. You won’t know your pressure is dropping until 30 seconds after it’s below 6 psi. 10 psi is the minimum pressure at idle, so you’re pretty much screwed.

Insurance would probably cover a rebuild for a collision with an object that ripped an easy drain plug out of the oil pan, but is the down time worth it.

15K/12 month oil changes just aren’t frequent enough to warrant anything but the easy to use OEM plug, IMHO.

John Jensen

Reaction score
There are very few reported issues, but as a guy who has had sticks on USFS roads dent/damage oil pans I’d just be too nervous running anything but a flush mount plug.

The icing on the cake is the fake oil pressure gauge. You won’t know your pressure is dropping until 30 seconds after it’s below 6 psi. 10 psi is the minimum pressure at idle, so you’re pretty much screwed.

Insurance would probably cover a rebuild for a collision with an object that ripped an easy drain plug out of the oil pan, but is the down time worth it.

15K/12 month oil changes just aren’t frequent enough to warrant anything but the easy to use OEM plug, IMHO.
I hear ya. I've had Fumato valves on three trucks that were driven over logging roads, forest roads and raw desert travel. Have never had a problem. That said, if you have a history of denting oil pans I'd definitely stay with the OEM.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear ya. I've had Fumato valves on three trucks that were driven over logging roads, forest roads and raw desert travel. Have never had a problem. That said, if you have a history of denting oil pans I'd definitely stay with the OEM.

I think the worst part is that I never heard the impact when the oil pans got dented. One on my 05, and one on an older Toyota. Stuff just happens.

flan

Reaction score
How far does the fumoto or similar stick up into the pan? There’s already a little lake of oil left when pulling the factory plug, if the new valve sticks into the pan a few threads there’s even more left behind. Not a large amount in the big picture, but with the rush of oil streaming out with factory plug it’s bound to carry out any contaminants or sludge type stuff sitting in the bottom of the pan. The slower draining valve type may leave it behind. A bit anal, yes. These are the things that cross my mind haha.

superjoe83

Reaction score
How far does the fumoto or similar stick up into the pan? There’s already a little lake of oil left when pulling the factory plug, if the new valve sticks into the pan a few threads there’s even more left behind. Not a large amount in the big picture, but with the rush of oil streaming out with factory plug it’s bound to carry out any contaminants or sludge type stuff sitting in the bottom of the pan. The slower draining valve type may leave it behind. A bit anal, yes. These are the things that cross my mind haha.
The same thing crossed my mind, so I measured how tall the internal nut is and took a grinder and cut a small notch in the drain valve threads down to that measurement, now it will drain down as far as it did originally

relbus

Reaction score
I am on my 6th Ram Cummins and have always dealt with the mess and Rush of oil when you pull the plug. This truck I bought the fumoto and it has completely solved my messy oil change issues. Don’t wait, grab one of these valves and you will be glad you did!

Users who are viewing this thread