Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7L Gas Cummins

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Good info. They will probably increase the output numbers for consumer trucks as durability is not as high a priority.
Durability is a high priority its one of the reasons most buy diesel as to get more miles out of the truck

WXman

Reaction score
I don’t see the reason to over-complicate this. Ford has a brand new 6.8 and a 7.3 that’s only a couple years old and both are magical because they are stone age simple. Port injection, no turbo, no supercharger, no hybrid system, no cylinder deactivation, none of that crap. Just a simple, reliable, easy as pie to service and repair big bore V8. THAT is what fleets and working guys want in a HD pickup truck. Guys who tow big with the 7.3 say they love it. WHY is it taking Ram so long to respond? The 2023 Ram HD trucks are now using a 14 year old body with a 10 year old engine. 429 lb/ft was decent, not great, but decent a decade ago. It sucks in 2023. I hate to say it but I don’t blame all these guys on the owners groups who are leaving Ram.

thecastle

Reaction score
I think the some people still have the perception that diesels are significantly more durable than gasoline engines. But I second as a fleet owner and operator, that unless you can make money with a diesel, or have towing requirements that require a diesel (your use case). Then diesels no longer make finical sense for many fleet owners. Power isn't really that important to a fleet operator, so long as its sufficient to complete the job. My diesel utility trucks are very slow, I'd guess 0-60 in 40-60second range, empty they weigh in 13-15K lbs, and have 250hp. But damn are the diesels broken a lot and in in expensive ways. I average 16K a year in repairs/maintenance on my diesel vehicles as they age, injectors, glow plugs, egr cooler failures, coking up and transmissions (they last 150K +/-) seem to be the most common expensive repair. When I replace I'm going all gasoline and probably the 7.3L to replace the powejokes. My current Gasoline vehicles are usually under 2K a year in repairs and maintenance and dosn't seem to last significantly less. See plenty of V10s out there with 350-500K miles. The only reason I stick with diesel is the trucks are paid off. It just doesn't make finical sense for most people to buy a diesel (or a pickup for that matter). Then drive them 9 miles to work and wonder why they are re-gening all the time. In that case you buy a diesel because you like it and want to impress your friends, its not a need, and if it made sense 10 years ago finically when there weren't ATM EGR systems, and unreliable SCR systems and diesel was cheaper. Those days aren't today. Most fleet operators know the dirty secret is gasoline makes more finical sense and is less trouble. https://utilityfleetprofessional.co...tter-for-your-medium-duty-truck-applications/ I'm looking forward to seeing what ram does with a good cheap, reliable gasoline engine, and I'm fine with turbocharging, all my diesels are and turbos are the lest problematic part of diesel ownership for me.

Last edited:

WXman

Reaction score
And now, likely in response to Ford announcing a new 6.8 gas to go with the 7.3 gas, GM has responded by announcing an $850M investment to design yet another all new V8. There aren't specs on this Gen VI engine but I guess it will supplement their new 6.6 gas engine in pickup trucks within the next 2-4 model years.

Meanwhile Ram will keep selling a 2009 body with a 2012 engine for astronomical prices. I looked at a 2023 Power Wagon the other day. $82,000 and it still mostly looked and felt just like a 2009 model. Sad day to be a Mopar guy....

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Good info. Things are a changin that's for sure.

jetrinka

Reaction score
The words "gas" and "Cummins" just don't go together IMO LOL! Its so wrong!

thecastle

Reaction score
Its called profits! I hate to be cynical, but pickups are the most profitable vehicles made by the big 3. For some odd reason people seem to gobble up trucks, no matter the price. As long as consumers continue to do so why put any engineering effort in which costs money and erodes profits. Just raise prices, the masses will come with their 72 no I mean 96 month loans. Though I will note ram sales are down significantly, and I'm starting to see rebates return the trucks back to their true value.

I'm surprised GM is considering a new V8 to put in production. Especially when V8s are being abandoned by most manufacturers in favor of turbocharged inline-6's. I won't be surprised if RAM ends up offering their 3.0 turbo-6 in the HD trucks of the future as a base engine. Seems like a logical choice to replace the ancient 6.4v8, unless the 6 is more expensive to make, then the choice will be to keep the v8 because profits! I'm going to be very surprised to see a Cummins gas 6.7 end up in ram trucks, unless its cheaper to make than the 6.4v8, or they think they can charge more for it.. Especially when RAM probably has more profitable options in house.

If we see a Cummins 6.7 non-diesel in a ram; I expect is some alternative fuel, hydrogen most likely (not gas). This to meet 0 emissions targets and range targets in a HD truck, without going BEV But a 6.7 is too inefficient compared to a fuel cell/electric motor setup to make it a reasonable choice with the small amount of hydrogen that you can store in a truck (low energy density). I'm just not seeing where the 6.7 will fit into rams future lineup, unless its really cheap to make, or they turbo it and eliminate the diesels.. Or we could see the 6.7 gas show up as a mid range option as an alternative to the Ford 7.3 and a minor step-up from the 3.0 i6/6.4 v8.

Last edited:

Redfour5

Reaction score
And now, likely in response to Ford announcing a new 6.8 gas to go with the 7.3 gas, GM has responded by announcing an $850M investment to design yet another all new V8. There aren't specs on this Gen VI engine but I guess it will supplement their new 6.6 gas engine in pickup trucks within the next 2-4 model years.

Meanwhile Ram will keep selling a 2009 body with a 2012 engine for astronomical prices. I looked at a 2023 Power Wagon the other day. $82,000 and it still mostly looked and felt just like a 2009 model. Sad day to be a Mopar guy....
I got a 6.4 Hemi 2500 Laramie for I,000 under MSRP in March 2022 MSRP 63600. It did not have power "folding" mirrors as a temporary "level C." I did have quite a few options like off road package, Snow Chief and Sport Appearance packages. I traded and got like 7K equity on my 2021 1500 5.7. I needed the towing capabilities. My very same unit 2500 was up to 70K and change by the time the 2022 Ram build website went down in late November... I got a so so deal in March but 3.24% interest. But, in retrospect, talking right now, I got a killer deal... Decently packaged Power Wagons were under 70K until late 2021. I would have gotten one except was gaining practically nothing on payload vs my 1500...

Last edited:

Truckman

Reaction score
Put that 6.7 gas Cummins in the Heavy Duties instead of the Hemi and I might be forced to buy another new truck.

Users who are viewing this thread