Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 Engine Air Filter Confusion

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Do passive regens show up on the DPF screen? I have been monitoring it for a couple of months. I did note an active regen at around 500 miles at around 40% just running around town. The DPF gauge was at 0 when I started my trip. I towed a heavy 5th wheel 1700 miles over 35 hours, mostly interstate. The gauge never moved off 0 and I never noticed a passive regen. No active regen either but didn't expect to see one towing the fiver. BTW I am using a WIX air filter with NO glue strips.

The only indication of a passive regen is the DPF gauge reduces without an “active regen” message.

With a monitor, like the CTS3, you can see passive regen on the regen % PID (sometimes, depends on soot loading and time since last active regen), as well as with EGT3 temp (temp exiting DPF).

Towing the 5th wheel will reduce the chance of a soot loading based active regen, but it won’t have any effect on the 24 hour regen.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting.
Mine is a 2022 HO 3.73 DRW CCLB

It’s usually pretty difficult for me to achieve noticeable passive regeneration under about 75mph.

Same, it doesn’t go up much at 70-75 but also doesn’t go down much. This is what I’ve noticed about passive regen when empty, stole from another thread.

Speed really varies, but what I have seen is that at 22+ mpg there isn't any passive regen, 18-22 mpg is more of a net neutral, and anything less than 18 mpg will have continious passive regen. Below 12 mpg and you're cleaning it failry quickly.

If I want to jump on the interstate and try to reduce the DPF gauge it takes 10-15 miles at 85 mph empty to reduce it.

I do get some passive regen at 35-45 mph, despite the mpgs, due to the extremely low rpms causing a higher EGT and thus a hotter DPF.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
It won’t fit in there upside down and doesn’t have room to spread out in the air box. The media is obviously too thin to be able to stand up to the amount and velocity of flow these engines have. That’s what the glue strips are supposed to control. Those filters have more pleats and are closer together than the Mopar and FleetGuard filters.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Looks exactly the same as that made in Mexico Wix that someone posted here somewhere a few weeks ago, which also just changed from what he would normally receive.
Yep, that was me. That looks exactly like the new Wix I posted up.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
we need to find out what the “EEUU” stamp indicates. I’m assuming it’s a plant / factory identifier. Whichever plant it is, it’s in the USA and it’s manufacturing the same filter for Fleetguard, Microgard MGA46930 and the old version of the WIX / NAPA 6930. All three have the exact same stamp and are made the exact same way. IMG_4012.jpegIMG_4011.jpegIMG_4424.jpeg

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I haven’t heard back from the rep yet since he emailed me last. It would not surprise me if the plant that used to manufacture the filters we have been using has changed ownership or been consolidated into something else. Oil filters in the auto sector have been having big changes and not for the better. Ironically the best constructed oil filters are being made in China, Korea and Vietnam. This fortunately has not affected the heavy duty sector yet. FleetGaurd, Donaldson and Baldwin are holding their own so far.
Maybe when we get the MAF or MAP sensor issues figured out, it won’t matter what filter we use in these trucks. I’m going to clean my sensors and see if there’s any change in performance or regen frequency.

Last edited:

superjoe83

Reaction score
we need to find out what the “EEUU” stamp indicates. I’m assuming it’s a plant / factory identifier. Whichever plant it is, it’s in the USA and it’s manufacturing the same filter for Fleetguard, Microgard MGA46930 and the old version of the WIX / NAPA 6930. All three have the exact same stamp and are made the exact same way. View attachment 65422View attachment 65423View attachment 65424
I believe that is just the Spanish translation for USA
Screenshot_20231116_220418_Google.jpg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Just adding this in here for the sake of discussion / information for the future. 2024 HD Cummins trucks are being shipped with Mopar 53034051AB from the factory. Had a friend of mine confirm for me today. Just got his 2024 Dually. To me, this further reaffirms that 68517554AA isn’t some “improved” or “better” filter (If youre in here Gary, thanks for checking for me I appreciate it!)IMG_4443.jpegIMG_4444.jpegIMG_4446.jpeg

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Donaldson P616743 ? Looks just like the FG 27684 and the Mopar 53034051ab filter.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Donaldson P616743 ? Looks just like the FG 27684 and the Mopar 53034051ab filter.
I have not had one in my hands, but I fear what you’ll find with that filter is that it, like many of the others, was once manufactured in the same factory as the FG / Wix / MG etc. but has now been outsourced as well. I found this one on eBay just now. Not sure if it’s legitimate or if it’s yet another “fake” but you can clearly see glue strips on it. I have a lot of good connections that use Donaldson filters heavily. I’ll reach out to them and see if they can connect me with their Donaldson contacts. IMG_4463.png

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I haven’t seen one up close but the one you showed does say made in Mexico. I looked it up on the Donaldson website and it says made in USA but they do mention that their products are made in various places and could be sourced from somewhere else.
Still haven’t heard back from the FG rep.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah it looks like all of the ones made in Mexico are of the same style / construction. Probably one plant producing them all. Same must hold true for the American made ones. They all looked the same just different numbers and brands.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Yeah it looks like all of the ones made in Mexico are of the same style / construction. Probably one plant producing them all. Same must hold true for the American made ones. They all looked the same just different numbers and brands.
Here is a direct quote from our global air filtration product manager:

“As of right now, we have not made any changes to the physical product. There have been some packaging changes, but the filter itself should be the same. We are exploring a potential alternate sourcing, but that has not been determined yet.”
This is what I’ve found out so far.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I got the exact same line from technical support on the phone.

“We didn’t change anything with the filter”

The package did indeed change. It says “Source: MX” instead of “Source: US”

The alternate sourcing has already taken place. Sounds like their information is about a month behind.

Makes you wonder how disconnected things are within these corporations.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
He also said he was going to contact the sales team that interacts with Geno’s and see what he can find out.
Keep us all posted. Would love to get some real answers. FG is a backbone company for these trucks. They really need to step up to the plate here.

Users who are viewing this thread