Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 Engine Air Filter Confusion

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Where were you last winter? Or the one before? :)

I've been here since 1992 and we sure do get below zero. Dec 2022 set a record low -24.

I'd say we get between a couple 2-3 and 5-6 below zero days almost every winter. It's certainly not sustained, but they exist.

FWIW, I run T6 5w-40 since I only change every 12 months.

I think if these current weather patterns hold, this winter isn't likely to be extremely cold, but it will bring extremely heavy snowfall.
That’s true, we have had a few cold winters. My truck gets plugged in on a timer at home and at the job so I don’t notice as much when it drops below 30 degrees. But my truck was in the shop when we had those super cold ones.
Usually we have a few that dip below 0.

I’m thinking we’ll have a lot of snow too… Sucks because I’m still on junk stock shoes… I might see how she does once it flies. My last new HD I could only stand the firestones for 20k before I yanked em. Anyway lol. Not to go sideways on the thread….

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s true, we have had a few cold winters. My truck gets plugged in on a timer at home and at the job so I don’t notice as much when it drops below 30 degrees. But my truck was in the shop when we had those super cold ones.
Usually we have a few that dip below 0.

I’m thinking we’ll have a lot of snow too… Sucks because I’m still on junk stock shoes… I might see how she does once it flies. My last new HD I could only stand the firestones for 20k before I yanked em. Anyway lol. Not to go sideways on the thread….

Mine stays plugged in on an automated outlet unless it's parked at the airport.

I was away on a work trip when we had one of those extended -10 spells and it wouldn't start parked in the DIA garage. Thought it had gelled fuel or the CP4 had given up. All it needed was a jump. Junk batteries compared to my 04 that lasted 13 years.

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
OK here is my .02. I have a 21 HO Aisin. It started getting P0299 codes at about 12K miles. Reset and then maybe 2 or 3 thousand more miles it would come back. Then it started getting them even more often. It was a pain in the ass at one point. I was 99% sure the truck came with a yellow filter. I had replaced it with another yellow Mopar filter that had glue strips. So this is my final deduction after 65K miles:

Yellow mopar filter with glue strips you get P0299 codes. Lots of them.

Using the White filter with glue strips I get NO codes and have a noticable boost in Power.

I have not used the Yellow filter with NO glue strips, but I suspect it will work fine.

But the white ones have been flawless so far for something like 35K miles. Plenty of power, no excessive regens noted and great fuel mileage and NO Codes.

There is a TSB out and it DOES note that the Glue Strips can set the P0299 code. So, I suspect THAT is the bottom line for the yellow filters. In fact that is the one shown in the TSB that should not be used. But the White non oiled filter has the glue strips and no issues. It looks like a synthetic media and I suspect it flows really well. I still have 2 more to use up and after that I am going to try a yellow Mopar filter no glue strips. A couple years from now.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
OK here is my .02. I have a 21 HO Aisin. It started getting P0299 codes at about 12K miles. Reset and then maybe 2 or 3 thousand more miles it would come back. Then it started getting them even more often. It was a pain in the ass at one point. I was 99% sure the truck came with a yellow filter. I had replaced it with another yellow Mopar filter that had glue strips. So this is my final deduction after 65K miles:

Yellow mopar filter with glue strips you get P0299 codes. Lots of them.

Using the White filter with glue strips I get NO codes and have a noticable boost in Power.

I have not used the Yellow filter with NO glue strips, but I suspect it will work fine.

But the white ones have been flawless so far for something like 35K miles. Plenty of power, no excessive regens noted and great fuel mileage and NO Codes.

There is a TSB out and it DOES note that the Glue Strips can set the P0299 code. So, I suspect THAT is the bottom line for the yellow filters. In fact that is the one shown in the TSB that should not be used. But the White non oiled filter has the glue strips and no issues. It looks like a synthetic media and I suspect it flows really well. I still have 2 more to use up and after that I am going to try a yellow Mopar filter no glue strips. A couple years from now.
Your experience seems to go against the grain of what others have had. I didn’t know that the yellow filter (0451ab) ever had the glue strips. I hope this gets figured out soon. I have 5100 miles on my 22’ and so far no problems at all. I want to order a replacement filter but I want to know what I get will work without any problems. Have you been having to change your air filter every 15k miles or less? Some reported having to change them pretty often.

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
I can go 15K miles with the white Mopar filter and no issues. I would say it is not too dirty at that point with the driving I do. Mostly towing a 10K Lb race car trailer enclosed.

I cannot remember if I specifically had glue strips on my Yellow filters. My OEM and the replacements I used were all Mopar and I can recollect Glue Strips for certain at one point in the past. But could have been my 18 Ram HO Aisin. So maybe I had some of the supposed over oiled Mopar filters and now that I am using the dry white filters I am good. I hate codes so I likely will stay with what is working good in my Truck. But if they drop this filter I will use the new yellow one. Has to be Mopar in my Truck.

Pic and note from the TSB:

NOTE:
Air filter with glue strips can potentially cause this DTC.
Remove the Air Filter and inspect for excessive debris causing a restriction.

Untitled.jpg
c

Last edited:

OLEJOE

Reaction score
I can go 15K miles with the white Mopar filter and no issues. I would say it is not too dirty at tha point with the driving I do. Mostly towing a 10K Lb race car trailer enclosed.

Pic and note from the TSB:

NOTE:
Air filter with glue strips can potentially cause this DTC.
Remove the Air Filter and inspect for excessive debris causing a restriction.

View attachment 60014
Thanks for the info.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I added info to my response.
Do you happen to have the link to that TSB or a copy of it for reference? Or at least the TSB number I can Google? I’ve never had the opportunity to read it myself, but have heard it referenced from time to time.

It’s interesting you’re experiencing no issues with the white and black mopar filter with the glue, my experience with that filter was directly opposite. Lowered power, especially during acceleration and more frequent regeneration cycles.

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
Do you happen to have the link to that TSB or a copy of it for reference? Or at least the TSB number I can Google? I’ve never had the opportunity to read it myself, but have heard it referenced from time to time.

It’s interesting you’re experiencing no issues with the white and black mopar filter with the glue, my experience with that filter was directly opposite. Lowered power, especially during acceleration and more frequent regeneration cycles.
I am sorry, I was quoting from the shop manual diagnosis for the P0299 code. Not a TSB. But I did want to update you that there is a TSB out that deals with this code. I have NOT had it done to my Truck yet and may never do it.

I will tell you that I had noticably more power when I put the white filter in my Truck. But I may have gone from an over oiled Yellow filter to the white filter. Honestly I think the White filter flows more. Not sure why you guys think it would'nt. When I put the white filter in I could feel way more harmonics set up in the frame of the truck when it is building boost and pulling hard. You know, the "THING" we all like about the Cummins.

One other thing I want to point out through my whole experience with this truck. I have NEVER got a warning that the air filter is dirty. The Truck has it. So why would you ever ger a Turbocharger Low Boost code and not have a dirty air filter. So the truck is obviously stingy on the Boost calculation and the TSB likely addresses this. But I keep clean filters in the truck. Even if I do not change it I still remove it and knock all the dabris off it and vacuume it.

NUMBER: 18-093-22 GROUP: 18 - Vehicle Performance DATE: May 10, 2022

RAM TSB.png

Ostracize

Reaction score
More data for the discussion.... I found this odd (see attached)
The far left 7754AA was just replace out of my rig @ 12k~15k of use, no codes or anything of note on regens with interval right around the 24hr marks. Middle and right are new/unused.
Rig is '21 3500 HO not much towing this oil change interval.
20230724_144859.jpg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
More data for the discussion.... I found this odd (see attached)
The far left 7754AA was just replace out of my rig @ 12k~15k of use, no codes or anything of note on regens with interval right around the 24hr marks. Middle and right are new/unused. View attachment 60056
That far right Wix 6930 looks like the old style which is identical to the OEM 53034051AB and the Fleetguard AF27684. The last two times I went to purchase one of those Wix / Napa 6930’s, the design had changed twice in a period of less than 2 years. (Old original 6930 on the left, first revision on the right). There was another design revision after that one that I don’t have a pic of. Note the glue strips on the revised one but not the original. Both are Wix 6930’s IMG_0386.jpegIMG_0387.jpegIMG_0388.jpegIMG_0389.jpeg

Ostracize

Reaction score
And... That after running all fingers inside intake flexpipe... It's super clean.
Truck has 40k on the odo

Attachments

• 20230724_150031.jpg
    20230724_150031.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 9

Ostracize

Reaction score
That far right Wix 6930 looks like the old style which is identical to the OEM 53034051AB and the Fleetguard AF27684. The last two times I went to purchase one of those Wix / Napa 6930’s, the design had changed twice in a period of less than 2 years. (Old original 6930 on the left, first revision on the right). There was another design revision after that one that I don’t have a pic of. Note the glue strips on the revised one but not the original. Both are Wix 6930’s View attachment 60057View attachment 60058View attachment 60059View attachment 60060
Fair enough, I just found it odd the pleat count being different on all 3 and specifically the 2 "same" Mopar ones.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I just found it odd the pleat count being different on all 3 and specifically the 2 "same" Mopar ones.
I agree, I find it very odd the two mopar filters with the same part number would have different specs. I don’t have the mopar or fleetguard filter to be able to count pleats. Next time I will, but I do think I have pics of originals. Top is mopar 53034051AB and bottom (right) is fleetguard AF27684

Looks like 46 for both

IMG_0751.jpegIMG_0665.jpeg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
had the aa filter was doing regen every 100 miles changed to the ab filter drove 200 miles and gauge only at 1/8 runs a lot better also. 2022 ho 3500 dually 20000 miles
Same experience I had with my 22 HO DRW. With the AA installed, the truck couldn’t get out of its own way when trying to merge on the interstate and it was constantly regenerating. I had the dealership take it back and reimburse me. Switched to the Fleetguard and the truck runs like it did when it was new.

Woodywoodpecker

I'M NOT YELLING
Reaction score
Same experience I had with my 22 HO DRW. With the AA installed, the truck couldn’t get out of its own way when trying to merge on the interstate and it was constantly regenerating. I had the dealership take it back and reimburse me. Switched to the Fleetguard and the truck runs like it did when it was new.
what p/n on the fleetguard please

Users who are viewing this thread