Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6.7 Engine Air Filter Confusion

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I agree completely. I think the AB is a better / sturdier filter all the way around. Which would stand to reason why it’s used specifically for the diesel. These Cummins trucks demand a lot of air. It’s not uncommon to see a lot of aftermarket inferior filters getting collapsed. If the build quality isn’t there, they won’t hold up. This was posted in a different post / thread a while back:View attachment 58305
Perfect example of why it’s not worth trying to save / skimp a few bucks on something as critical as an air filter. I don’t recall what brand that filter was but it was obviously not up to the task.

Also, the AA is not a supersession for the AB or vice versa. They are, and always have been, two totally independent air filters for two totally different applications. AB is for 2019 and up 6.7 Cummins. AA is for 2019 and up 6.4 Hemi.
My truck (19) is a Hemi and it had an AB filter from the factory, pre covid so that’s not an excuse. They changed the parts at some point in time.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My truck (19) is a Hemi and it had an AB filter from the factory, pre covid so that’s not an excuse. They changed the parts at some point in time.
I tried every Avenue at my disposal to get that information from within Ram / Stellantis but to no avail. I can’t even get documented CFM requirements / Specs for the AA filter. The AB one has the specs printed on the side. No idea when all of the changes happened, or why. But it is certainly the case as of today. They have independent filters for each application.

flan

Reaction score
I’m still running the AA on my CTD (got it from genos during the “supply chain crisis” of 2021) with no issues.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I tried every Avenue at my disposal to get that information from within Ram / Stellantis but to no avail. I can’t even get documented CFM requirements / Specs for the AA filter. The AB one has the specs printed on the side. No idea when all of the changes happened, or why. But it is certainly the case as of today. They have independent filters for each application.
It’s been a PITA to get an AB filter even ordering by PN and not by vin/motor. It’s backordered on Genos.

Im gonna run the AA because my AB is 4 years/30k miles old and that’s what clean filter I have. Should’ve kept the WIX i returned. it looked better than the AA.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m still running the AA on my CTD (got it from genos during the “supply chain crisis” of 2021) with no issues.
It’s very strange how some trucks can run that filter without issue and others, like mine and many others, experienced a noticeable change in both power and throttle response as well as a significant increase in the frequency of regeneration cycles.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s been a PITA to get an AB filter even ordering by PN and not by vin/motor. It’s backordered on Genos.

Im gonna run the AA because my AB is 4 years/30k miles old and that’s what clean filter I have. Should’ve kept the WIX i returned. it looked better than the AA.
I stopped trying to find the AB, as it was more troublesome to find. I’ve had great success obtaining the Fleetguard AF27684 which is an identical copy.

downsc123

Reaction score

I had to wait a while for my AB filter from Geno's but it eventually showed up after about 5 months - I order stuff like that well in advance for this very reason

Riddick

Reaction score
I had to wait a while for my AB filter from Geno's but it eventually showed up after about 5 months - I order stuff like that well in advance for this very reason
This is good advice. I was coming due for an air filter replacement. I went to Geno's only to find out they are backordered. I ended up buying a Wix filter, have had great luck with them on other vehicles. We will see how it holds up, might stick with Wix since it's quite a bit cheaper.

Diller

Reaction score
This is good advice. I was coming due for an air filter replacement. I went to Geno's only to find out they are backordered. I ended up buying a Wix filter, have had great luck with them on other vehicles. We will see how it holds up, might stick with Wix since it's quite a bit cheaper.

I used a Wix filter and it seemed to be part of the cause of excessive regens on my 22 3500 HO. Swapped back to the AB filter from Genos and the regens are still frequent but not as bad.

Riddick

Reaction score
I used a Wix filter and it seemed to be part of the cause of excessive regens on my 22 3500 HO. Swapped back to the AB filter from Genos and the regens are still frequent but not as bad.
Good info, I plan to check dpf gauge and see how it does. About 100 miles on new filter and gauge is still on 0.

2001WS6

Reaction score
So after all this talk of filters I figured I'd change mine.
I was very disappointed to see I actually had the AA filter in there. :(
And my spares are AA :(:(
Could have sworn they were AB's

Ordered a few of the Fleetguard AF27684 that were posted above.

Jmar

Reaction score
I ordered and moper AB filter from geno’s the other day and already received it. I have 22 CTD that I ordered in October 2021 and received it Feb 22. I gambled with buying the AB before checked to see what filter was in the truck. Yesterday I checked and it was the AB filter.

Last edited:

Ram25002021

Reaction score
I ordered an AB filter from Amazon and it showed up as the AA filter but packaged in an AB bag. Ordered a second and returned the first only to end up with the same item. It’s apparent everyone thinks they are interchangeable. I went ahead and ordered the Fleetguard AF27684.

Wholeo

Reaction score
Has anybody tried a washable dry drop in replacement filter from AFE or any other company that might make one? Any problems or just stay away?

DougB

Reaction score
It’s very strange how some trucks can run that filter without issue and others, like mine and many others, experienced a noticeable change in both power and throttle response as well as a significant increase in the frequency of regeneration cycles.
I installed a replacement AB from Geno’s for my factory AB at just over 14k miles. There was a visual difference in the color of the media but everything else looked the same. No code so far but more frequent regens. The DPF % on my iDash goes up very quickly every drive. Strange that the gauge cluster DPF indicator doesn’t register anything until the iDash % is over 50. And once the gauge cluster DPF reaches the middle (iDash at 100%) then a regen starts. This was same behavior as before tho, just an oddity.

Getting regens every 2-6 engine hours where before it was not as frequent. I didn’t track hours between regens before the filter change unfortunately. May try getting a Fleetguard to see if there’s any reduction in frequency. 15k miles on the truck now. Maybe the DPF just gets more and more clogged and the regens cannot fully clean it.

Anyone know when those who didn’t get that one sensor in the system will ever get it??

baker01

Reaction score
I installed a replacement AB from Geno’s for my factory AB at just over 14k miles. There was a visual difference in the color of the media but everything else looked the same. No code so far but more frequent regens. The DPF % on my iDash goes up very quickly every drive. Strange that the gauge cluster DPF indicator doesn’t register anything until the iDash % is over 50. And once the gauge cluster DPF reaches the middle (iDash at 100%) then a regen starts. This was same behavior as before tho, just an oddity.

Getting regens every 2-6 engine hours where before it was not as frequent. I didn’t track hours between regens before the filter change unfortunately. May try getting a Fleetguard to see if there’s any reduction in frequency. 15k miles on the truck now. Maybe the DPF just gets more and more clogged and the regens cannot fully clean it.

Anyone know when those who didn’t get that one sensor in the system will ever get it??
I have tracked hours since my truck was new. All of my regens were at the 24 hour mark. I just changed the original filter (AB). The one I received from Genos (AB) was a little darker in color. I drive 70% highway 30% in town. I have about 13 hours on this new filter with no regens yet. Are you driving a lot of in town/Stop and go?

DougB

Reaction score
I have tracked hours since my truck was new. All of my regens were at the 24 hour mark. I just changed the original filter (AB). The one I received from Genos (AB) was a little darker in color. I drive 70% highway 30% in town. I have about 13 hours on this new filter with no regens yet. Are you driving a lot of in town/Stop and go?
Yeah but my trips haven’t changed after the filter change. Very little highway. Wish I had tracked before. I certainly do not recall the DPF% moving so much during each trip. It’ll go up 20% in a 20 min trip but when I start the next trip the % is lower than what it showed at end of the previous trip. I’ll keep driving and see if anything gets worse to the point a code comes up. Maybe it’s all in my head?!?

steve49

Reaction score
DougB, I see the same thing with my Scangauge II monitor with the up and down %, but I think that's normal since the trucks also do passive regens when driving..., I just drive it and don't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread