Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Wheel Hitches

Bakaruda

Reaction score
I have been going over old post and not found anything about what hitches people like and don't like. I'm going to buy one for my 2022. It is equipped with the 5th wheel prep package. So please give me your good, bad, and uglies about what is out there.

mguebert

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with anything other than the hitch I bought. I used the Gen Y Executive Goosneck pinbox (replaces the factory pinbox on the 5th wheel) it was a little more expensive but all I need to do in drop in the B&W ball and safety chain pucks and hook up (which is quick) and Im towing. It tows great with my truck.

G Mcpherson

Reaction score
Might be good to know what you have for Bed Length. I use a B&W in my long bed 3500. Factory Puck System.

BSN81

Reaction score
I have the Demco Autoslider 18k and the Demco Hitch prep bracket. Installation was rather easy but due to the weight of the Autoslider hitch, you'll need some help lifting it into place.
Cons- the hitch is on the heavier side of hitches and without a hoist or another set of hands, it's not easy to lift out. Demco makes a lifting bracket that can be attached to a hoist for easy removal and install. The other con would be the size of the hitch. It's really big especially with the hitch prep bracket. This doesn't bother me though, and I have just left the hitch in the truck full time, which has been helpful when carrying smaller items in the bed, because they won't slide up to the front of the bed. So it also acts like a cargo organizer.
Pros- You don't have to worry about the front cap of the trailer hitting the back of the truck when making turns. You also don't have to get out the truck and pull any levers to make sharp turns. You can just drive and let the hitch do the work. It automatically adjust as you make turns. Towing can be stressful enough, and sometimes things happen suddenly or you might have to make a sharp turn to get in/ out of spaces or camp spots. The "auto" feature lets you focus on driving and your surroundings without worrying about hitting the truck. Connecting the hitch to the trailer is rather easy. The only inconvenience is adjusting the capture plate and bolts on the head of the hitch. But I find this to be a minor inconvenience. The hitch is more expensive than most hitches, but the cost of the damage to the truck if the trailer hits it will be way more expensive. Hope this helps.

Limey

Reaction score
I have the Demco Autoslider 18k and the Demco Hitch prep bracket. Installation was rather easy but due to the weight of the Autoslider hitch, you'll need some help lifting it into place.
Cons- the hitch is on the heavier side of hitches and without a hoist or another set of hands, it's not easy to lift out. Demco makes a lifting bracket that can be attached to a hoist for easy removal and install. The other con would be the size of the hitch. It's really big especially with the hitch prep bracket. This doesn't bother me though, and I have just left the hitch in the truck full time, which has been helpful when carrying smaller items in the bed, because they won't slide up to the front of the bed. So it also acts like a cargo organizer.
Pros- You don't have to worry about the front cap of the trailer hitting the back of the truck when making turns. You also don't have to get out the truck and pull any levers to make sharp turns. You can just drive and let the hitch do the work. It automatically adjust as you make turns. Towing can be stressful enough, and sometimes things happen suddenly or you might have to make a sharp turn to get in/ out of spaces or camp spots. The "auto" feature lets you focus on driving and your surroundings without worrying about hitting the truck. Connecting the hitch to the trailer is rather easy. The only inconvenience is adjusting the capture plate and bolts on the head of the hitch. But I find this to be a minor inconvenience. The hitch is more expensive than most hitches, but the cost of the damage to the truck if the trailer hits it will be way more expensive. Hope this helps.
I too have the Demco Autoslider. This ^ post is verbatim what I would have written if BSN81 hadn't got there first! :D

CdnHO

Reaction score
I needed a 30K. There are not a lot out there rated that high so I opted for the Heavy Tow Package which came with a 30K installed. Made by Curt. Most seem to like the B&W.

Bakaruda

Reaction score
First question was "bed length". I have a 6'4" bed. The trailer I'm looking at is dry around 10500lbs. I'll check those two out, Thanks.

CharlieL

Reaction score
First question was "bed length". I have a 6'4" bed. The trailer I'm looking at is dry around 10500lbs. I'll check those two out, Thanks.
I also have the 6'4" bed in my 2500. I decided to go with the Pullrite SuperGlide, which is an autoslider. This is my first 5th wheel, and it works superbly. The unit is the 2315, which is what Pullrite showed on its website as OE Puck compatible for the truck. It's designed for up to 24K trailer, which is overkill for my 9k gross 5th wheel. After I bought it, I saw the install instructions were also for 2700 and 2900 series, which I think either of which might have worked (16K and 20K rated). In retrospect, I should have called Pullrite and spoke to them first before ordering (they are very helpful), and might have saved about 100 lbs of payload weight. The hitch weighs 270 lbs; can't remove it by myself without using a hoist.

amauri

Reaction score
I used a Curt A25 non slider hitch and Reese Sidewinder pinbox for a few years and was very happy with that setup on a short bed 2500 and 11k 5th wheel.

jfab6969

Reaction score
I personally like the Anderson Ultimate. I know there have been some issues and mixed reviews. I have been using for 5 years, I tow a 22k lb 5th wheel, about 20k miles per year spread out over 28 weekends. I have not had any major issues, and can turn almost 90* with a 2018 Megacab DWR. I particularly like that I can remove quickly and easily at 45lbs and do not have to "unlock the slider". I was concerned about emergency maneuvers, but last month coming thru Reno we had a car cut in front of us and then slam on their brakes. I put truck into full antilock mode and thought for sure I was about to drive thru a small SUV. Fortunately my 5er has disc brakes and we went from 65 to a stop in a much shorter distance that I would have thought. I pulled over to clean out my shorts and check the hitch and interior of 5th wheel. The hitch held up just fine, the dishes cupboards not so much.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Andersen, Reese Goosebox or Gen-Y if you need your bed space back often. B&W, Demco if you don't need your bed space back. Sliders are heavy. Without a cherry picker or overhead hoist they're not a 1 man operation to remove.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Andersen, Reese Goosebox or Gen-Y if you need your bed space back often. B&W, Demco if you don't need your bed space back. Sliders are heavy. Without a cherry picker or overhead hoist they're not a 1 man operation to remove.
Leave em hang on the trailer when you take em out of the bed just lift it out with the trailer. And any gooseball setup you don't gain much bed space really as you need the room around the ball for the hitch to pivot and turn

Riccochet

Reaction score
Leave em hang on the trailer when you take em out of the bed just lift it out with the trailer. And any gooseball setup you don't gain much bed space really as you need the room around the ball for the hitch to pivot and turn

That's fine if you are somewhere you don't mind leaving your hitch dangle from the trailer. A lot of people keep their RV's in storage lots. I wouldn't be leaving $1500+ hanging there that's easily stolen.

Sponge60

Reaction score
I've used an auto slider and the Andersen Ultimate, both on short bed trucks. I am very happy with the Andersen Ultimate. One of the main reasons is that it is very easy to remove, Both were sturdy and did what I needed. Clearance is not an issue for me with the Andersen, but the auto slider certainly takes a little of worry away in tight turns. The slider is very heavy and most likely can't be installed or removed with just one person. After having both types in a few different trucks, I am solidly an Andersen Ultimate fan.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's fine if you are somewhere you don't mind leaving your hitch dangle from the trailer. A lot of people keep their RV's in storage lots. I wouldn't be leaving $1500+ hanging there that's easily stolen.
Fair, i keep mine at my house and i leave 4600$ dangling from it well it was 4600$ back many years ago. But at 365lbs i Dont have many other options by myself Here we don't have much theft except for snowmobiles

Last edited:

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
B&W Companion 3600 rvk. Factory puck on my 2021 Ram 2500 sb Laramie. I've used thos same hitch on my 14 ram 2500 srw, 2015 ram 3500 sb drw, and now on my 21 2500. Never neeed a slider, and we've traveled to all lower 48 states (lots of campgrounds) and its worked perfect. As a retired mechanic, welder I can appreciate the quality of this hitch.

RichM752

Reaction score
Installed this on the Arctic Fox we purchased last week. I have zero experience towing 5th wheel, but have towed my gooseneck dump up and down the interstate many miles.
Towing the 5th wheel home last week was a breeze. On some really rough sections of the 101, I opened rear window and it was total silence back there.

tempImageFwsEK9.jpgtempImageFgLFMZ.jpg

Icky

Reaction score
I also have the 6'4" bed in my 2500. I decided to go with the Pullrite SuperGlide, which is an autoslider. This is my first 5th wheel, and it works superbly. The unit is the 2315, which is what Pullrite showed on its website as OE Puck compatible for the truck. It's designed for up to 24K trailer, which is overkill for my 9k gross 5th wheel. After I bought it, I saw the install instructions were also for 2700 and 2900 series, which I think either of which might have worked (16K and 20K rated). In retrospect, I should have called Pullrite and spoke to them first before ordering (they are very helpful), and might have saved about 100 lbs of payload weight. The hitch weighs 270 lbs; can't remove it by myself without using a hoist.
I have the same hitch as above, and agree with most of the statements about auto sliders. They're love and hate, hate them because they're big and bulky, love them because they make things simple. I believe the pullrite version slides further back them the demco unit, which I why I chose it.

One more draw back to the pullrite, maybe the demco as well. When you're making a sharp turn going forward, let the trailer straighten out before you accelerate hard, otherwise you'll get a loud bang and jolt.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
I’ve been pretty happy with my AUH, enjoying the same benefits other have stated. I have a 150 series Reflection which is on the light side for a 5ver so I have zero concerns about failures, I’m under 50% of the AUH’s rated capacity. Having said that, I’m close to pulling the trigger on the GenY Executive (currently the only replacement option for the Turning Point). I can’t help but feeling a little cushioning of some sort would be kinda nice, I seem to consistently travel some pretty rough roads.

As info, I have a CCSB and can pretty much turn 90* with the AUH set in the “forward” position.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Heres my old faithful they are just awesome to tow with id recommend it to anyone. It could do with a coat of paint but its pretty good for a 18 year old hitch

This would be the newest version of it

(Yes i know the bed is a mess its been a busy week)

4B09BE4E-1A67-4EA5-B431-4C72DFD9F426.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread