Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Wheel Hitches

Bakaruda

Reaction score
I appreciate all the help. I have been looking for the Anderson to check it out and everything I find is for a Gooseneck style not plate, am I missing something? I had no clue how much these hitches were. Again, thanks I now have allot of reading to do. One more thing I don't understand, slider... How does this operate, fixed or actually moves on it's own?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help. I have been looking for the Anderson to check it out and everything I find is for a Gooseneck style not plate, am I missing something? I had no clue how much these hitches were. Again, thanks I now have allot of reading to do. One more thing I don't understand, slider... How does this operate, fixed or actually moves on it's own?
The anderson is a joke i would not let my worst enemy tow with one….. sliders can be manual with a lever or auto sliding if the traller turns a certain amount it will release the locks to let it slide

amauri

Reaction score
I'm not 100% convinced the Anderson is a safe design, from an engineering point of view, looking at how it distributes the load... I don't trust it.
But that's just me, lots of people use it and have no issues. The company seems to be reputable.

Icky

Reaction score
A capture plate is attached to you pinbox, that keeps the trailer from pivioting in the hitch. When you turn it turns the head of the hitch which slides in the grooves shown in the pictures below. As it slides it moves away from the cab.
20220901_073144.jpg20220901_073136.jpg

Khsgt

Reaction score
I use the Pullrite 2600. Same general concept as the Anderson, but I think the design is much better. CCSB, and provides good turning radius when in rear position. Also only 55lbs, so easily removable and it hangs on the wall in thr garage when not in use.

Attachments

• 18179652-E01E-45BD-8660-C79F6A3F0F8C.jpeg
    18179652-E01E-45BD-8660-C79F6A3F0F8C.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 18

Riccochet

Reaction score
I can only find one instance where an Andersen was damaged, and that was due to the trailer getting hit. And it only bent slightly. Andersen replaced it for free.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I can only find one instance where an Andersen was damaged, and that was due to the trailer getting hit. And it only bent slightly. Andersen replaced it for free.
I have seen tons of broken AUH pics with written off trucks simpily because they had to do an emergency stop and usually way under the rating … @Brutal_HO has a nice gallery of them here

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Any company that jumps up and replaces hitches for free are usually running insane profit margins because the product is made cheaply, or B) covering up their inferior product…. Any well made product is usually defended by the manufacture and they place the blame on the improper use of the end user… i have had my 5th wheel hitch for over 15 years no need to have the the manufacture replace it, just the odd greasing and it has been faithful for almost 2 decades and i see no reason why it would not be around far after im in the ground. I can guarantee no AUH will last that long… aluminum fatigues much faster than steel… at the end of the day saving weight is not worth the risk. My hitch is 365LBS with the 85lbs adapter its rock solid!

Riccochet

Reaction score
Any company that jumps up and replaces hitches for free are usually running insane profit margins because the product is made cheaply, or B) covering up their inferior product…. Any well made product is usually defended by the manufacture and they place the blame on the improper use of the end user… i have had my 5th wheel hitch for over 15 years no need to have the the manufacture replace it, just the odd greasing and it has been faithful for almost 2 decades and i see no reason why it would not be around far after im in the ground. I can guarantee no AUH will last that long… aluminum fatigues much faster than steel… at the end of the day saving weight is not worth the risk. My hitch is 365LBS with the 85lbs adapter its rock solid!

That's a broad statement that holds zero truth in the real world with companies that back their products and support their customers using them. I build a lot of Wranglers and can name quite a few companies that produce extremely well build suspension components, and have zero problem replacing a clearly abused part. Metal Cloak comes to mind immediately.

Supporting your customers in that way has nothing to do with profit margins. Sell 10,000 units a year and replace a few? I'd be more leary of a company that did not. Word of mouth advertising of good customer service is the cheapest form of advertising a company can have.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
That's a broad statement that holds zero truth in the real world with companies that back their products and support their customers using them. I build a lot of Wranglers and can name quite a few companies that produce extremely well build suspension components, and have zero problem replacing a clearly abused part. Metal Cloak comes to mind immediately.

Supporting your customers in that way has nothing to do with profit margins. Sell 10,000 units a year and replace a few? I'd be more leary of a company that did not. Word of mouth advertising of good customer service is the cheapest form of advertising a company can have.
You AUH cult are all the same just ignore the facts to save a little bit of weight…

I have never seen any other hitch with anywhere near the amount of failures that the AUH has so there is clearly an issue. If you choose to bury your head in the sand and ignore it thats on you but i am never going to put my truck/trailer at risk to save some weight…

Users who are viewing this thread