Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel hitch looking for some good advice

foneguy

Reaction score
i have a curt 20K in my 2500 seeing curt makes the mopar and i didnt have that dealer up charge! paid around $800 through e trailer

NWWIRAM

Reaction score
Ok, most new 5th wheels have a rounded fronts; they know many folks tow with a short bed now and are trying to make them compatible as much as possible.

I use an Anderson Ultimate Hitch and they are designed to work with short beds. Not everyone likes the design but we have found they work very well; solid and quiet.
I don't have experience with sliding hitches so cannot comment on how well they work. My only dislike is that they can be very heavy.

B
I am also using the Andersen Ultimate Hitch as my 3500 SRW payload rating is very low. I have, however, made some changes to improve the system. I will post a photo of the in-bed setup and I just wanted to mention that I placed a 3/8" shim between the pin box plate and the Andersen adapter block. That shim supports the extended end of the adapter block and prevents any damage caused by the flexing of the pin box plate. After weighing in around 3300 lbs. of pin weight on one of my earlier trips, I have been trying to load the fifth wheel to keep it around 2800 lbs. of pin weight. It has been working great so far but these aren't for everybody.

IMG_0357Crop.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
In my experience i have found on these newer taller trucks its better to have an air ride pin box i have the air ride 5th wheel hitch and while it did work well in my old 2nd gen my new truck is far to tall to use the hitch with it inflated as it takes the trailer off level to much putting more weight on the trailers rear tires the air ride pin box can be adjusted to ride level when inflated just my .02 cents so buy the curt 5thwheel puck system hitch and you will be much happier in my opinion

JC82 HD2500

Reaction score
I have a 2019 6.7L Laramie Sport, puck system, 6'4 bed, 3.73 gears. I am using a B&W companion (no slider) for my 5th wheel (2014 Grand Design Solitude) and have no complaints. I remove and install it myself, just take it apart (hitch from base) before moving it and it's much easier.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

kobra

Reaction score
That thread was locked for a reason. Let's not let this one devolve again with a bevy of snarky comments. "Trolling" is against the site rules.
Agreed, as was the post that I responded to.

Edit: Next time I will just report the offender. Sorry that I didn't do that in the first place.

B

Last edited:

Aketay

Reaction score
b&w companion puck setup for me, third truck and towed over 200,000+ miles. Still quiet and confidence inspiring. Towing commercially, I am probably a little more abusive to hitches than most.

Attachments

• 3BE3F919-DB8F-4AEF-8FA9-5D0AD6495C66.jpeg
    3BE3F919-DB8F-4AEF-8FA9-5D0AD6495C66.jpeg
    680.5 KB · Views: 49

carlrx7

Reaction score
b&w companion puck setup for me, third truck and towed over 200,000+ miles. Still quiet and confidence inspiring. Towing commercially, I am probably a little more abusive to hitches than most.
Where'd ya get that lube plate?

M109R

Reaction score
Go down to AUH on this forum and see many Anderson hitch failures.

kobra

Reaction score
@M109R - as to AUH, that thread was already referenced and moderator basically said let that sleeping dog lie.

But, I'm curious about your goose box... how do you like it? How heavy is your 5th wheel?
I've heard it's a pain to hookup; have you figured out a good system for that?

I like the concept and apparently it is warranty approved by lippert.

BTW, is your username a bike reference?

B

M109R

Reaction score
I confirmed that is was lippert approved and it is not to bad at all to back up to, with a little practice with bed camera about 1/2 the time i get it first time some times it takes me a couple of tries. If i wasn’t so lazy and used my eyeball camera which magnets to the front of the hitch i can get it first time every time. Remember you only have to be half of the ball diameter it will slide on, no chucking or anything with air bag and shocks it just sets back there and follows. my camper is 2600# pin weight Jayco listed it as 1900# but cat scales says differently. The rear axles have 12000# on them.

Yep M109R is my suzuki with 109 cubic inch engine.

M109R

Reaction score
Here is a picture of it today no air in bag just had to get weight off the landing gear to install JT Strong arms.

Attachments

• 3397BB50-8F3F-472A-B3C3-74A4354E950E.jpeg
    3397BB50-8F3F-472A-B3C3-74A4354E950E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22

kobra

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

Is that a 317RLOK?
We had a 2018 and it was a great floorplan. Nice looking rig!

B

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I confirmed that is was lippert approved and it is not to bad at all to back up to, with a little practice with bed camera about 1/2 the time i get it first time some times it takes me a couple of tries. If i wasn’t so lazy and used my eyeball camera which magnets to the front of the hitch i can get it first time every time. Remember you only have to be half of the ball diameter it will slide on, no chucking or anything with air bag and shocks it just sets back there and follows. my camper is 2600# pin weight Jayco listed it as 1900# but cat scales says differently. The rear axles have 12000# on them.

Yep M109R is my suzuki with 109 cubic inch engine.
Thanks for the info.

And enjoy the bike. Have a couple of friends who have serious miles on that model. One over 100k with usual maintenance only. His "local" Harley is built for nitrous fed.

Users who are viewing this thread