Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th wheel hitch looking for some good advice

dougpaper

Reaction score
Recently purchased 2019 ram 3500 dually diesel. 19800 towing capacity with 5500 bed capacity. In the next 3-4 weeks will be purchasing a 16k-19K loaded 5th wheel. Looking at so many options on hitches just would like to hear opinions on which is best. Is one brand quieter towing, less jerking towing, easier to remove from bed? I have the puck system and most likely the hitch will be the trail air system.

thanks in advance

RV_Goose

Reaction score
The towing capacity seems pretty low. Is that the bumper pull max? I would think that the 5th wheel trailer rating would be over 25k. Could be lower rated because of the differential I guess.

I bought the Mopar M25 (made by Curt) with my truck. We do one long mileage trip a year. And several trips under 400 miles.

If I towed more, I would have gone with the TrailAir hitch. I do not believe you can get a smoother ride than the air ride hitches. But they are limited in trailer weights, so I would buy one to match the payload of my truck so I would not have to purchase another one.

dougpaper

Reaction score
The towing capacity seems pretty low. Is that the bumper pull max? I would think that the 5th wheel trailer rating would be over 25k. Could be lower rated because of the differential I guess.

I bought the Mopar M25 (made by Curt) with my truck. We do one long mileage trip a year. And several trips under 400 miles.

If I towed more, I would have gone with the TrailAir hitch. I do not believe you can get a smoother ride than the air ride hitches. But they are limited in trailer weights, so I would buy one to match the payload of my truck so I would not have to purchase another one.
i have the standard cummins and the 373 gearing so maybe thats why. Payload is 5500 but my guide claims max trailer tow is 19800. A rv dealer said you subtract the 5500 off the max towing so i could go to 24K but i am not believing what he is saying.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
i have the standard cummins and the 373 gearing so maybe thats why. Payload is 5500 but my guide claims max trailer tow is 19800. A rv dealer said you subtract the 5500 off the max towing so i could go to 24K but i am not believing what he is saying.

I didn't realize that there was that much difference. I have a HO diesel, Aisin and 4.10. Payload is 5474 and max tow is 33,400. The below is from RAM.com towing spec by VIN.

Attachments

• 3500 Truck Tow Ratings by VIN.png
    3500 Truck Tow Ratings by VIN.png
    40 KB · Views: 31

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently purchased 2019 ram 3500 dually diesel. 19800 towing capacity with 5500 bed capacity. In the next 3-4 weeks will be purchasing a 16k-19K loaded 5th wheel. Looking at so many options on hitches just would like to hear opinions on which is best. Is one brand quieter towing, less jerking towing, easier to remove from bed? I have the puck system and most likely the hitch will be the trail air system.

thanks in advance

If you mean to say the pinbox will be trail-air, then you can't go wrong with the B&W Companion.

I wouldn't mix an air-ride hitch with an air-ride pinbox, they tend to work against each other. Also not recommended to use the Q-series Curt hitches (super flexy head) with rota-flex pinboxes (without lockout) for the same reason. I believe the Mopar 20K hitch is a Q-series, the 30K Mopar is an A-series.

If I hadn't already had the Curt A25 from my old rail mount system (truck didn't have a GN setup), I would have gotten the B&W. A friend has one and loves it, and they are usually the #1 recommended hitch.

The trailersaver is a good option (due to price) if you're not already spending money on an air-ride pinbox.

Please think of your and other's safety and don't consider an Andersen hitch.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Need either the HO or 4.10 gearing to get to 25K or higher.

dougpaper

Reaction score
If you mean to say the pinbox will be trail-air, then you can't go wrong with the B&W Companion.

I wouldn't mix an air-ride hitch with an air-ride pinbox, they tend to work against each other. Also not recommended to use the Q-series Curt hitches (super flexy head) with rota-flex pinboxes (without lockout) for the same reason. I believe the Mopar 20K hitch is a Q-series, the 30K Mopar is an A-series.

If I hadn't already had the Curt A25 from my old rail mount system (truck didn't have a GN setup), I would have gotten the B&W. A friend has one and loves it, and they are usually the #1 recommended hitch.

The trailersaver is a good option (due to price) if you're not already spending money on an air-ride pinbox.

thank you for the information.

Nick

Reaction score
Since you are spending all that money on that setup you may as well go with the best hitch IMHO. With your size rig you need a Hensly BD5 . I have had one for 11 years no problems . Your trailer just glides along and you ,your wife and truck will enjoy a much smoother and safer ride . They are expensive but so is your truck and trailer . Google them and watch the Video .

geektoad

Reaction score
if you have the 8ft bed, and you're spending money on a pinbox for the camper, check out the Reese Goosebox. It pulls smooth as butter, and it gives you your bed back. That was a game changer for me. I had the B&W companion slider in my shortbed, and it's a fantastic hitch, built like a tank, but it was also almost 300 pounds to pull out of the bed when i needed to use it.

dougpaper

Reaction score
thanks all i appreciate the information that is exactly what i am looking for. Great forum

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
I changed my pinbox out for a reese goosebox and I will never go back. Not only does it tow better and is quiet, It takes 30 seconds to install the BW ball and the same to remove it. I then have full use of my bed. The goosebox has 2 big shocks on it and an air blatter and rides silky smooth.

kobra

Reaction score

Ah yes, here we go... always has to be someone in a hurry to spread misinformation

B

kobra

Reaction score
Please elaborate.

Sure, many have dismissed the Anderson Ultimate hitch as being unsafe. But there is no evidence that I have seen to indicate that.
For awhile, on a few RV sites, there was a picture going around of a collapsed leg on an Anderson hitch. The photo has been removed from several of the sites, and it turns out the story kept changing as to what happened. In the end, it was found out that the hitch failed during an accident.
But, that one incident was enough for the rumor mill to get going, and on many sites there still is this "Anderson hitches are unsafe!", "I'm an armchair expert, and you should listen to me when I say there is no way that thing is strong enough, no one should ever use that thing", or the current dire warning that I quoted...

If someone can genuinely provide some facts that the Anderson Ultimate Hitch is unsafe, I'm listening. But, when I've presented that challenge on other forums, so far no one can provide facts to support why they say they are unsafe.
ie, to just casually throw that warning out there without facts is spreading misinformation...

HtH
B

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, many have dismissed the Anderson Ultimate hitch as being unsafe. But there is no evidence that I have seen to indicate that.
For awhile, on a few RV sites, there was a picture going around of a collapsed leg on an Anderson hitch. The photo has been removed from several of the sites, and it turns out the story kept changing as to what happened. In the end, it was found out that the hitch failed during an accident.
But, that one incident was enough for the rumor mill to get going, and on many sites there still is this "Anderson hitches are unsafe!", "I'm an armchair expert, and you should listen to me when I say there is no way that thing is strong enough, no one should ever use that thing", or the current dire warning that I quoted...

If someone can genuinely provide some facts that the Anderson Ultimate Hitch is unsafe, I'm listening. But, when I've presented that challenge on other forums, so far no one can provide facts to support why they say they are unsafe.
ie, to just casually throw that warning out there without facts is spreading misinformation...

HtH
B

I grew weary of posting the dozen or so pics and many first hand accounts of AUH failures, including ball shear failures I have at my disposal, only to be cancelled by the fanbios. There are many more "incidents" than the single one you are citing.

I don't express my negative opinion of them lightly and have facts, stories, posts and multiple images to back it up. In one case, I've conversed directly with the owner because he was selling his pinbox that was damaged (and subsequently repaired) by the use of an AUH that failed (bent) more than once under normal use.

I wouldn't be so dismissive of one's opinion based on an assumption that it's unfounded, or so quick to claim it's spreading misinformation.

IOW, Challenge accepted. Awaiting your comments in the other thread.

ETA: So this thread doesn't get any more adulterated, I started a new thread and will update as I have time. There's enough posted at this time to get anyone to think really hard about using an AUH.

Last edited:

St.Pete Ron

Reaction score
I have a question, I have the air lift 5000# air bag helper suspension, I also have a 2020 2500 with the 6.7 cummins in it with 3.73 gears and the 6'4" bed. I will be looking for a 5th wheel hitch and would like some suggestions on them. Will I need a slider hitch? I also have the factory puck system in my truck, thanks in advance.

St.Pete Ron

Reaction score
We have not made a definite decision on which one yet, probably between a impact 311 and a forest river xlr boost.

kobra

Reaction score
Ok, most new 5th wheels have a rounded fronts; they know many folks tow with a short bed now and are trying to make them compatible as much as possible.

I use an Anderson Ultimate Hitch and they are designed to work with short beds. Not everyone likes the design but we have found they work very well; solid and quiet.
I don't have experience with sliding hitches so cannot comment on how well they work. My only dislike is that they can be very heavy.

B

Users who are viewing this thread