Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th gen to 4th gen tailgate swap

Longman1

Reaction score
I have a base model 2012 2500 with no factory tailgate electrical. I just put on a 2023 bed from a Bighorn 2500 after a rear end accident. I am currently using the manual release latches inside the tailgate to open it. 1st priority, is there a way to make the electric release button work? 2nd priority and not as important, is there a way to make the remote lock and unlock function work, maybe by linking it to one of the back doors? The Retro Shop hooked me up for the lighting. You can see the bed swap on my Mercenary Construction YouTube channel.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I can’t help with the electric release in general, but I can tell you the new tailgates don’t have a “lock” and “unlock”. In simple terms, when you press the button it asks the computer if it’s supposed to be unlocked and if the computer says yes then the tailgate opens. If the computer says no then it doesn’t.

PRS

Reaction score
In my 2020 the button in the handle supplies a ground signal to the BCM. The BCM decides if things are locked or not and then sends a voltage to the two release mechanisms. Only questions are is the BCM function in the 2012 the same and are the wires there? You could make it work with your own switch and wiring but may not have locking or remote open.
You could install a momentary switch in the cab for locking but that might be a pita for other times.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Not the most elegant way. But running a 12+ and a ground to the tailgate would at least allow you to open it with the switch in the tailgate handle. You can tap into the trailer 7 pin connection wiring for both. One of the widely available taps from Reese or Hopkins would eliminate the need to cut into the existing wiring.

Watched your videos. Nice work.

Last edited:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It can be tied in to the 2013-18 BCM and work properly i know for a fact but im not 100% sure if the 10-12 can do it aswell if/ when jimmy chimes in you will have the answer on how to properly do it

Longman1

Reaction score
It can be tied in to the 2013-18 BCM and work properly i know for a fact but im not 100% sure if the 10-12 can do it aswell if/ when jimmy chimes in you will have the answer on how to properly do it
Thanks. I hear a lot about Jimmy. Sounds like he's the man.

Longman1

Reaction score
Not the most elegant way. But running a 12+ and a ground to the tailgate would at least allow you to open it with the switch in the tailgate handle. You can tap into the trailer 7 pin connection wiring for both. One of the widely available taps from Reese or Hopkins would eliminate the need to cut into the existing wiring.

Watched your videos. Nice work.
I'm already using a Retro Shop tap for the LED tail lights so it might get crowded adding another but soldering a splice is easy. I'll jut have to find the wiring harness diagram for the tailgate. Having a working latch is the biggest part. Lock and unlock would be a bonus. I think I'll move my license plate camera up there as well since there's a hole for it and that would give me a better field of view for the trailer hitch. Thanks for looking up my channel.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
I have a base model 2012 2500 with no factory tailgate electrical. I just put on a 2023 bed from a Bighorn 2500 after a rear end accident. I am currently using the manual release latches inside the tailgate to open it. 1st priority, is there a way to make the electric release button work? 2nd priority and not as important, is there a way to make the remote lock and unlock function work, maybe by linking it to one of the back doors? The Retro Shop hooked me up for the lighting. You can see the bed swap on my Mercenary Construction YouTube channel.
You’re gonna have to use straight up power, ground, and relay on the tailgate switch and latches on your truck. The tailgate switch and latch release circuits don’t exist on your TIPM (2012’s version of BCM). You won’t have a way to “lock/unlock” the handle switch.

Scotty298

Reaction score
You’re gonna have to use straight up power, ground, and relay on the tailgate switch and latches on your truck. The tailgate switch and latch release circuits don’t exist on your TIPM (2012’s version of BCM). You won’t have a way to “lock/unlock” the handle switch.
Can you show a diagram of the latch harness so I know which wire is for what?

Scotty298

Reaction score
Here is a diagram of the tailgate release circuit
Thank you. Let me provide some pics to help clarify. Trying to figure out how to open these latches on a truck bed that is removed. Notice that there are no manual releases like other model latches. Its as is the manual release has been removed but looking at replacement latches from Mopar, they also do not show a manual release. So figured I could provide direct power and ground to the appropriate wires on the connector. The wire harness coming out of the latch has 4 wires. Black, white, blue, and brown. The connector it attaches to going to the handle switch has black, purple, tan/yellow, and black. So not sure which wires to provide ground and power to get them opened.image_67152897.JPGimage_67152897.JPGimage_67168001.JPGimage_67197441.JPGimage_67167233 (1).JPG

superjoe83

Reaction score
It looks like the blue wire would be positive and the brown wire next to it would be the ground for the latch motors.
What year truck is the tailgate from?

Users who are viewing this thread