Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

360 Trailer Surround Camera Install

Webracin

Reaction score
Has anyone installed the 4 camera's on their 5th wheel? I am trying to get ideas on where to mount the front cap camera and how it will look on the display screen. Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

kkerley

Reaction score
I have pictures of the cameras installed but did not take any pictures of the screen displaying the images, I will next time I hook up and add to this post. The front camera is pretty cool looking over your truck from the back. The back camera to me is actually the best image of them all, wish that camera was the one for the tow mode, the tow mode camera to me is too zoomed in.

Attachments

• IMG_9256.jpeg
    IMG_9256.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_9258.jpeg
    IMG_9258.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_9260.jpeg
    IMG_9260.jpeg
    977.4 KB · Views: 176

Webracin

Reaction score
@kkerley so many questions!

I have a fiberglass cap on the front of mine, and am worried that it is all the front camera will pick up.

Also did you use 3m tape or drill holes to mount them. I dont like the idea of drilling 12 holes in the side or roof (depending on how I mount them).

And then I have the awning on the passenger side, so I wonder if that means ALL the cameras need to be mounted on the roof.

The joys of being a tech guy.

Thanks for the pics. Cant wait to see what it looks like on Uconnect.

kkerley

Reaction score
Backed into position and took some screen shots for you, think I need to work on the trailer dimensions on the 360° view to see if it will stitch the images better. I think you’ll be impressed with the FOV of the surround cameras, you will see a lot more than the back of your topper.

I did drill holes to mount the cameras and run wires, I tried thinking of every way possible to minimize holes but I didn’t feel comfortable with mounting them with tape. Putting them on the roof would help hide them or the holes but our roof is one solid waterproof piece or at least welded together, I didn’t want to compromise that so into the sides the holes went. Mine is just a horse trailer, I would have a harder time drilling into a camper or travel trailer.

Pictures show 360° with back camera view, you can select any of the four with the 360° or by themselves. The truck surround view will allow you to pick selected views while driving before timing out, I have not seen that work with the trailer cameras, hope I have just been selecting them the wrong way.

Attachments

• 32E0B922-864C-4A7D-B046-FB497A463DC3.jpeg
    32E0B922-864C-4A7D-B046-FB497A463DC3.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 266
  • 3061FC51-8664-4FA8-93C4-EF44AA1EBFAD.jpeg
    3061FC51-8664-4FA8-93C4-EF44AA1EBFAD.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 5F008165-111F-45C8-8EB6-824E34B7F09D.jpeg
    5F008165-111F-45C8-8EB6-824E34B7F09D.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 253
  • EC56C4B9-8D39-4FBF-BF91-015398D58DC0.jpeg
    EC56C4B9-8D39-4FBF-BF91-015398D58DC0.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 254
  • A47F3F85-C11B-49A3-A24A-073CAC6B7A23.jpeg
    A47F3F85-C11B-49A3-A24A-073CAC6B7A23.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 248

Webracin

Reaction score
Backed into position and took some screen shots for you, think I need to work on the trailer dimensions on the 360° view to see if it will stitch the images better. I think you’ll be impressed with the FOV of the surround cameras, you will see a lot more than the back of your topper.

I did drill holes to mount the cameras and run wires, I tried thinking of every way possible to minimize holes but I didn’t feel comfortable with mounting them with tape. Putting them on the roof would help hide them or the holes but our roof is one solid waterproof piece or at least welded together, I didn’t want to compromise that so into the sides the holes went. Mine is just a horse trailer, I would have a harder time drilling into a camper or travel trailer.

Pictures show 360° with back camera view, you can select any of the four with the 360° or by themselves. The truck surround view will allow you to pick selected views while driving before timing out, I have not seen that work with the trailer cameras, hope I have just been selecting them the wrong way.
Wow.....that does look awesome! Thanks again for the pics. Once I get my camper back from the dealer, I will get a writeup done. I at least now have a plan!

kkerley

Reaction score
as to add to the FOV (field of view), the other night I checked this with the rear 360 camera. If I placed an object directly below the back edge of the trailer I could see it in the camera. So on the rear camera the area circled in green is the rear door spring. On the front camera the yellow object circled in green is the gooseneck coupler lock. Basically you can see directly straight down to the ground with these cameras, I was amazed.

Attachments

• IMG_9265.jpeg
    IMG_9265.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_9279.jpeg
    IMG_9279.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_9261.jpeg
    IMG_9261.jpeg
    881.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9280.jpeg
    IMG_9280.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 113

BighornHDRam

Reaction score

Hopefully one day you could actually buy the 360 trailer camera kit 68527709AC-001 as it is still not listed to buy yet from Ram. When I ordered my 2022 3500 Bighorn I could not order the 360 trailer camera's with my build at the time but I got the Tech package which included the 360 camera's on my truck.

BTW your trailer looks great with those camera's.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Hopefully one day you could actually buy the 360 trailer camera kit 68527709AC-001 as it is still not listed to buy yet from Ram. When I ordered my 2022 3500 Bighorn I could not order the 360 trailer camera's with my build at the time but I got the Tech package which included the 360 camera's on my truck.

BTW your trailer looks great with those camera's.
There’s a kit for sale on eBay for 876 right now, and I can guarantee that’s cheaper than what it will be when it’s available to buy from mopar parts suppliers.

BighornHDRam

Reaction score
There’s a kit for sale on eBay for 876 right now, and I can guarantee that’s cheaper than what it will be when it’s available to buy from mopar parts suppliers.
@Jimmy07, I did see that on ebay thanks. I have not committed to a decision if I'm going to get a 5th wheel trailer yet as we all do not know what fuel prices are going to go to.

Until I make a decision to get one the camera's are a moot point at this time.

kkerley

Reaction score
Not a truck mod but a trailer mod, got the 360 degree box mounted and wiring completed.

Attachments

• IMG_9299.jpeg
    IMG_9299.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 172

Johncardozo

Reaction score
How did camera installation go? specifically tie into factory harness and 12" surround view?

isaacsracing

Reaction score
I got a new 3500 a couple of weeks ago and I had ordered with the Trailer 360 Camera, which came with the truck direct from the factory. I am going to leave for a road trip with a 45 foot gooseneck so I finally got to looking at this kit. I've looked over my trailer and I see routes for the rear camera and the front hookups. I'm honestly less concerned with the side and front camera at this moment. but I'll get to those too.
The problem I have is that the truck doesn't recognize the system. I went to the tailgate and wired the entire system up to the truck just to do a test before installing it. But I couldn't get Uconnect to show the trailer camera view. I went to settings, camera, trailer surround camera, and set my dimensions. But still nothing on the screen.
Any clues??

kkerley

Reaction score
Do you have ramboxes? Do you have a connector on the right side of the license plate that matches a connector in the bed of the truck? If no to ramboxes and yes to connectors in both locations, the rear bumper to the right of the license plate and in the bed, did you test plugging the camera harness into both locations? If you have a connector in the bed of the truck the one on the rear bumper will be inactive.

isaacsracing

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
No Ramboxes.
There is a connector for the camera system in two locations - one to the right of the license plate and another inside the bed of the truck on the driver's side next to the 7 way plug.
I had originally tried only the plug inside the truck. This morning I also tried the plug next to the license plate.
- When plugged in next to the license plate, the screen inside the truck has all the trailer camera options greyed out - in other words the truck doesn't see the module at all.
- When plugged in inside the truck bed, the screen does have the camera options (so it allows me to put in trailer dimensions) but I can't get any video from any of the cameras.
So I would say that you are correct in that the plug next to the license plate is inactive.

As another complication, in the bag of goodies that cam with the truck, there was also a single trailer system included. The single camera system does not have a box like the 4 camera system. The single camera has a long wire to route to the truck, but the end that plugs into the truck is not the same end as the 4 camera system and the turck doesn't have a plug to match the the wire. The single camera plug is similar to an RCA jack but is just a little larger. Weird.

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
I've setup the single camera system on our trailer as it is the one that can be used while driving. I haven't tackled the 360 view system yet. It plugs in to the driver's side of the license plate on the rear bumper on my truck.

isaacsracing

Reaction score
Good tip on the plug location for the single camera system - I found it to the left of the license plate as you said. I plugged that it and immediately got an image on the review mirror, which is cool. I think I would have gotten that from the 4 camera system too, but your implying that won't happen and that the two systems are totally separate. I am also most interested in having the rear view from the back of the trailer while on the road. On road assistance is really more valuable to me than a camera to help maneuver when parking. I was thinking that the 360 camera system would really handle both of those situations.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
No Ramboxes.
There is a connector for the camera system in two locations - one to the right of the license plate and another inside the bed of the truck on the driver's side next to the 7 way plug.
I had originally tried only the plug inside the truck. This morning I also tried the plug next to the license plate.
- When plugged in next to the license plate, the screen inside the truck has all the trailer camera options greyed out - in other words the truck doesn't see the module at all.
- When plugged in inside the truck bed, the screen does have the camera options (so it allows me to put in trailer dimensions) but I can't get any video from any of the cameras.
So I would say that you are correct in that the plug next to the license plate is inactive.

As another complication, in the bag of goodies that cam with the truck, there was also a single trailer system included. The single camera system does not have a box like the 4 camera system. The single camera has a long wire to route to the truck, but the end that plugs into the truck is not the same end as the 4 camera system and the turck doesn't have a plug to match the the wire. The single camera plug is similar to an RCA jack but is just a little larger. Weird.
I don’t know this for sure as I don’t use the 360 system - but does your truck need to see the trailer connected (ie, 7-pin plugged in) for it to think it needs to be concerned about 360 view? I’m no expert - just suggesting to try that and see if you get anything. Engineers can overthink stuff sometimes…

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Good tip on the plug location for the single camera system - I found it to the left of the license plate as you said. I plugged that it and immediately got an image on the review mirror, which is cool. I think I would have gotten that from the 4 camera system too, but your implying that won't happen and that the two systems are totally separate. I am also most interested in having the rear view from the back of the trailer while on the road. On road assistance is really more valuable to me than a camera to help maneuver when parking. I was thinking that the 360 camera system would really handle both of those situations.
If you find the 360 handles the rear view as you like, I’d be willing to buy your other camera. My guess is, you’ll really want both. That other camera integrates with the digital rear view mirror and provides an excellent view of what’s behind you (or sneaking up alongside you) while towing!

kkerley

Reaction score
I do think your truck wants to think it is towing before the 360 cameras work. I would plug everything in (7 pin, truck to camera hub, camera hub to all cameras). Then enter your trailer dimensions and give it a few minutes to see if anything shows up. If you want cameras to see behind you while on the road that would be the single camera system to the left of your license plate. The 360 camera system will only display images for a short time when you start moving. Once you are moving pretty sure it greys out again and you can’t select it until you are at a lower speed, like 8 mph. The 360 is for parking maneuvering almost exclusively.

isaacsracing

Reaction score
I'm starting to figure this out.

The Trailer 360 Cameras - The problem that I had was with the plug that inserts into the truck. The orange gasket wasn't on the plug exactly right and because of that the plug hadn't inserted 100%. It was in enough for the truck to recognize the system, but n ot for the cameras to display. Problem solved and the system works.

On the single rearview camera which would display all the time on the rearview mirror, the 15meter cable is a little short for my 45 foot gooseneck. When I test fitted the cable, it went from the back to the front, but then has nothing left to get out of the trailer and to the connection on the truck. That ones going to have to be for a trailer that isn't so massive.

Users who are viewing this thread