Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 SRW suspension

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
You can press all the buttons you want in my truck and nothing will happen unless there's a load on the truck. The bags have just enough air for them not be completely empty as that can damage the bags. You are suppose to be able to easily press your thumb into them when they're empty and see them give 1/2" or so. Under load you're not pressing your thumb into them at all. 3500's are meant to ride on the leafs not the bags.

Go do it, what I told you is how they work. Something absolutely happens when you press the button, it won’t hold alt but it will lower and raise before telling you the payload is insufficient. If yours doesn’t move with what I mentioned then something is wrong with your truck.

I’ve owned 2 of the auto-level 3500’s and dad has owned 2, they all work the same. It’s not rocket science.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
You can press all the buttons you want in my truck and nothing will happen unless there's a load on the truck. The bags have just enough air for them not be completely empty as that can damage the bags. You are suppose to be able to easily press your thumb into them when they're empty and see them give 1/2" or so. Under load you're not pressing your thumb into them at all. 3500's are meant to ride on the leafs not the bags.

What year and model is your truck? To be clear, “lowering mode” only works parked. As soon I as move the bed comes back up. And on my truck, any weight I add in the bed sees the truck adjusting the bags. I can put 200 pounds of tile in my bed and when I close the gate the bags adjust. They also try to maintain level, so parking on different hills I can hear them adjust as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Go do it, what I told you is how they work. If yours doesn’t move with what I mentioned then something is wrong with your truck.

Make sure to hit bed lowering mode while parked.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
Go do it, what I told you is how they work. If yours doesn’t move with what I mentioned then something is wrong with your truck.
Nothing is wrong with my truck. Your bags just have more air in them than what they're suppose to have. It's a fact that 3500's come off the assembly line out of adjustment which is why you see all kinds of different feedback on the way air assist trucks ride. The more air the bags have empty the harsher the truck will ride empty. The system is not designed to ride on air unless loaded.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
What year and model is your truck? To be clear, “lowering mode” only works parked. As soon I as move the bed comes back up. And on my truck, any weight I add in the bed sees the truck adjusting the bags. I can put 200 pounds of tile in my bed and when I close the gate the bags adjust. They also try to maintain level, so parking on different hills I can hear them adjust as well.

23 3500 Limited Mega cab.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with my truck. Your bags just have more air in them than what they're suppose to have. It's a fact that 3500's come off the assembly line out of adjustment which is why you see all kinds of different feedback on the way air assist trucks ride. The more air the bags have empty the harsher the truck will ride empty. The system is not designed to ride on air unless loaded.

No, my bags have the minimum air in them that they are supposed to.

If you don’t lower empty in bed lowering mode then your system is not working as it’s designed. It doesn’t lower much, but it will lower on truck that is working properly.

Yes plenty of trucks have sensors out of whack, but that doesn’t change how a properly operating truck will work.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
No, my bags have the minimum air in them that they are supposed to.

If you don’t lower empty in bed lowering mode then your system is not working as it’s designed. It doesn’t lower much, but it will lower on truck that is working properly.

Yes plenty of trucks have sensors out of whack, but that doesn’t change how a properly operating truck will work.
Sorry, and I don't mean this in a negative way, but you are not educated on this subject.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 1.00.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 1.00.58 PM.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 40

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, and I don't mean this in a negative way, but you are not educated on this subject.

Dude, read the posts. Talking about bed lowering mode.

You know that bed lowering mode and alternate ride height are two different things, right?

I’ve said the same thing as you on alternate ride height every time.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
Dude, read the posts. Talking about bed lowering mode.

You know that bed lowering mode and alternate ride height are two different things, right?

I’ve said the same thing as you on alternate ride height every time.
I fully understand but there's not enough air in the bags to affect the height empty.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I fully understand but there's not enough air in the bags to affect the height empty.

Then you don’t understand this system, and certainly haven’t messed with your truck enough to tell other people how it’s supposed to work.

The main leaves are too soft to support the empty weight without sagging onto the overloads. Air in the bags improves the ride by keeping you off the overloads under empty driving conditions. That’s how the system was designed.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
Then you don’t understand this system, and certainly haven’t messed with your truck enough to tell other people how it’s supposed to work.
And you're wrong. There is only enough air in the bags for them not to be completely empty, not to provide load heigh in any way shape or form. You can select bed lowering mode or alternate height empty and it does absolutely nothing. Why? Because the bags are not under load of the wight of the truck in any way as its resting on the leafs.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
And you're wrong. There is only enough air in the bags for them not to be completely empty, not to provide load heigh in any way shape or form. You can select bed lowering mode or alternate height empty and it does absolutely nothing. Why? Because the bags are not under load of the wight of the truck in any way as its resting on the leafs.

You obviously haven’t done it.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score

So would you like a video or something? Because bed lowering mode totally lowers the bed with no weight in the bed.

It’s feeling like the horse has been dead for a while. Either you’re experiencing something completely different and programming changed from 22 to 23, or your perception is different. The only way any of us can be “wrong” is if one of the engineers of the system is in here and tells us so. None of us have the exact same truck, but 2 of us definitely have different experiences.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
You obviously haven’t done it.
I absolutely have done it. I did it the day I purchased it. I did it when I was setting up my hitch and after I had the Carli lift installed. If you would like me to go make a video I would be glad to do so.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I absolutely have done it. I did it the day I purchased it. I did it when I was setting up my hitch and after I had the Carli lift installed. If you would like me to go make a video I would be glad to do so.

3/8” over the axle is what I’ve always seen for normal to empty bags, and what I measured again today.

Let’s see this video of your truck not doing what it’s supposed to, but you’re not running the stock leaves so your measurement will be different.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score

That would be nice actually. Seems like there’s a bit of an argument here, and if the system is programmed differently now that would be the way to tell.

I have to wash my truck and hitch up in a couple hours. So I can make a video as well. However, my bed is not empty. I have a 35 gallon fuel tank that I just filed. So there’s about 325 pounds in the bed. I can still do a video, but it’s not exactly empty.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
3/8” over the axle is what I’ve always seen for normal to empty bags, and what I measured again today.

Let’s see this video of your truck not doing what it’s supposed to, but you’re not running the stock leaves so your measurement will be different.
Let me upload the video then I'll post it here once its ready.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Let me upload the video then I'll post it here once its ready.

Sweet. Put something static next to the truck like a stool or trailer hitch so we can easily see any difference or not. You could measure the axel space too, but getting the accurate measurement on video could be tricky there.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
The bed lowering function does nothing on an empty 3500 with factory air assist until there's 600+ lbs of added weight. They have a better factory ride since air assist equipped trucks include lighter leaf springs. The bags do slightly affect the ride as they aren't 100% empty when driving empty. The only negative I've experienced with the factory air setup is the rear end can buck/kick due to the bags when hitting something sharp like a poorly repaired seem in the road. I've owned multiple 3500's and this is my first factory air assist. My 21 3500 non factory air rode like a 1 ton. My 23 air equipped rides like a 2500 but at times will remind you you're in a 1 ton. I had CJC Offroad install Cali's 3.25" fully optioned lift on my 23 that replaces the rear leaf pack and it completely eliminated the kick the factory setup had.

Wait, you had the factory rear springs replaced? It’s possible that spring and air bag combination could yield you a different experience that what stock guys have. Your video may show your truth, but that won’t tell us if that’s how factory would act.

BilletWilson

Reaction score
Wait, you had the factory rear springs replaced? It’s possible that spring and air bag combination could yield you a different experience that what stock guys have. Your video may show your truth, but that won’t tell us if that’s how factory would act.

I did but my truck functioned the same with the factory suspension. My video is currently sitting at 5% uploaded so it might be a bit until it's ready to post. I'll share it once its ready to go.

Users who are viewing this thread