Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 SRW suspension

jenninr

Reaction score
I test drove a 22 3500 SRW short bed with air suspension. I was impressed with the ride and put a deposit down to buy it but the dealership had to fix a couple things first. After 3 months they never got it fixed and sent it to auction and refunded my deposit. I can't find another similar truck close to me but did find one with everything I want except the air suspension that is 8 hours away. Is the difference in the ride as significant as I suspect between the two suspensions? I can't find a 3500 SRW near me to test drive and compare myself. I have driven a 3500 drw with standard suspension and it's too harsh for my purpose but I suspect the dual wheels is a big part of that.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I find the difference substantial and the auto-level suspension is a must have for me.

It took me months to find the 2018 I bought used, but I finally found one.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
IMO air suspension makes a huge difference. Especially if you vary loads, trailers or drive empty. If you load your truck, or keep it loaded it would probably be fine with just leafs. I actually think an empty 3500 with air is a very close feel to an empty 2500 with coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO air suspension makes a huge difference. Especially if you vary loads, trailers or drive empty. If you load your truck, or keep it loaded it would probably be fine with just leafs. I actually think an empty 3500 with air is a very close feel to an empty 2500 with coils.

My experience is that the 3500 auto-level rides better than the coil sprung 2500’s.

Khsgt

Reaction score
If you don’t mind waiting, there are multiple dealerships around the country willing to order at a substantial discount (search these threads and they will come up, Mark Dodge in Lake Charles is one). I ordered my 2022 3500 SRW SO and could not be happier with the decision. Get exactly what you want without any of the crap you don‘t. (Laramie Bench Seat with Air ride/18 inch rims for ride comfort). Fly in, drive out, save $10k+….seems like a no brainer

Last edited:

roegs

Reaction score
For the 3500's, air suspension and rear tire pressure both play big parts in ride quality. When I test drove 3500's I always asked the sales person if I could drive alone. I carried a tire pressure gauge with me and after a few blocks I pulled over and aired down the rears to 35 lbs. Driving an empty 3500 with 80 psi in the rear tires is going to always be rough. As Khsgt mentioned, order your truck and get exactly what you want. I did that also and could not be happier.

jebruns

Reaction score
If you don’t mind waiting, there are multiple dealerships around the country willing to order at a substantial discount (search these threads and they will come up, Mark Dodge in Shreveport is one). I ordered my 2022 3500 SRW SO and could not be happier with the decision. Get exactly what you want without any of the crap you don‘t. (Laramie Bench Seat with Air ride/18 inch rims for ride comfort). Fly in, drive out, save $10k+….seems like a no brainer
Mark Dodge is in Lake Charles, way down in far south Louisiana. I was just in Lake Charles a couple of days ago, but didn't have time to check them out. I ordered mine from Granger up near Des Moines. Same basic deal as Mark Dodge.

On the 3500's, the air suspension has no effect on empty truck driving. It takes about 600lbs of load in the bed to compress the suspension enough to engage the bags. But I believe the leaf spring stack is a bit softer on them, so that may give a better unloaded ride.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
On the 3500's, the air suspension has no effect on empty truck driving. It takes about 600lbs of load in the bed to compress the suspension enough to engage the bags. But I believe the leaf spring stack is a bit softer on them, so that may give a better unloaded ride.

There is a huge effect on empty driving with auto-level.

The two main leaves are much softer on an auto-level truck than a standard suspension 3500, which give a huge improvement in the empty ride.

There are also two large overloads that become engaged in alternate ride height.

CdnHO

Reaction score

The two main leaves are much softer on an auto-level truck than a standard suspension 3500, which give a huge improvement in the empty ride.

There are also two large overloads that become engaged in alternate ride height.
I find my dually rides really nice empty with the rear tires at 35 psi. A number of people that have rode in the truck have commented on the surprising nice ride. Loaded of course the tires go back up to 65 psi. And the air suspension is really nice when I drop the 5000 pound pin weight on the hitch when towing the fiver. Nice and level with alternate trailer height.

Khsgt

Reaction score
I have a 3500 SRW with air ride and 18 inch wheels that I ordered specifically for the best ride quality. Last truck was a 2017 Ecodiesel 1500 that I still own and leave at another property. I wish I could speak to whether it is better then a non air ride equipped but I have never driven one. The air ride is much harsher then the 1500. Tire pressure is a huge factor in ride quality (I run 55 front, 35 rear). The seats are also more firm then my 1500…. Overall happy with my decision to go with the 3500, but some days I do miss the ride comfort, that is for sure. Mine is mostly a highway daily driver, lots of toys being hauled (motorcycles, bicycles, small trailers for housework), and tow a 15k fifth wheel a few times a year.

Last edited:

jenninr

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will hold out for a truck with the air suspension. This truck will be a daily in addition to towing several times a year so empty ride is important and the one I test drove rode fine for daily driving. It did have fox shocks on it so that may have helped too.

I have ordered a truck from Mark Dodge for a non profit I volunteer with but when I ordered the discount was not as good as people are reporting here so I figured ordering would be out of my budget but since the discount is better now I will look into that.

jebruns

Reaction score

The air part of the suspension has no effect on empty truck driving, as I said. And I mentioned the different leaf springs.

As a good example, the alternate ride height function has no effect on an unloaded 3500, since, as I said, the air suspension is not in play w/o a 600+lb load in the bed.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The air part of the suspension has no effect on empty truck driving, as I said. And I mentioned the different leaf springs.

As a good example, the alternate ride height function has no effect on an unloaded 3500, since, as I said, the air suspension is not in play w/o a 600+lb load in the bed.

Sorry, but that’s just nonsense. It appears you don’t have much experience or knowledge with the auto-level system, yet are making some pretty false statements about it.

The air suspension is in play 100% of the time the truck is being driven.. otherwise bed lowering mode wouldn’t do anything (as the simplest example of it being used all the time while driving).

BilletWilson

Reaction score
Sorry, but that’s just nonsense. It appears you don’t have much experience or knowledge with the auto-level system, yet are making some pretty false statements about it.

The air suspension is in play 100% of the time the truck is being driven.. otherwise bed lowering mode wouldn’t do anything (as the simplest example of it being used all the time while driving).
The bed lowering function does nothing on an empty 3500 with factory air assist until there's 600+ lbs of added weight. They have a better factory ride since air assist equipped trucks include lighter leaf springs. The bags do slightly affect the ride as they aren't 100% empty when driving empty. The only negative I've experienced with the factory air setup is the rear end can buck/kick due to the bags when hitting something sharp like a poorly repaired seem in the road. I've owned multiple 3500's and this is my first factory air assist. My 21 3500 non factory air rode like a 1 ton. My 23 air equipped rides like a 2500 but at times will remind you you're in a 1 ton. I had CJC Offroad install Cali's 3.25" fully optioned lift on my 23 that replaces the rear leaf pack and it completely eliminated the kick the factory setup had.

Attachments

• Steve Kane 23 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Cab.JPG
    Steve Kane 23 Ram 3500 Limited Mega Cab.JPG
    665 KB · Views: 21

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The bed lowering function does nothing on an empty 3500 with factory air assist until there's 600+ lbs of added weight.

Mine does something empty, so does dads. So that’s not correct.

The same was true on my 18, but it didn’t have bed lowering mode so you had to use transport mode to dump the air out of the bags.

It takes 600+ lbs, more like 750, to engage alternate ride height but that’s not the same as bed lowering.

They have a better factory ride since air assist equipped trucks include lighter leaf springs. The bags do slightly affect the ride as they aren't 100% empty when driving empty. The only negative I've experienced with the factory air setup is the rear end can buck/kick due to the bags when hitting something sharp like a poorly repaired seem in the road. I've owned multiple 3500's and this is my first factory air assist. My 21 3500 non factory air rode like a 1 ton. My 23 air equipped rides like a 2500 but at times will remind you you're in a 1 ton. I had CJC Offroad install Cali's 3.25" fully optioned lift on my 23 that replaces the rear leaf pack and it completely eliminated the kick the factory setup had.

My 18 would occasionally have a jarring feel over large speed bumps and such, but the 22 never has. I wouldn’t call it a kick thou, that’s how I describe the odd feeling of the 5 link rear over bad road seams.

BilletWilson

Reaction score

The same was true on my 18, but it didn’t have bed lowering mode so you had to use transport mode to dump the air out of the bags.

It takes 600+ lbs, more like 750, to engage alternate ride height but that’s not the same as bed lowering.

My 18 would occasionally have a jarring feel over large speed bumps and such, but the 22 never has. I wouldn’t call it a kick thou, that’s how I describe the odd feeling of the 5 link rear over bad road seams.
The only way adjustments can be experienced empty is when your bags have more air in them than what they're suppose to have. If that's the case your ride is harsher empty than what it's designed to be. 3500's are air assist which means they only come into play under load. The system is not meant or designed to ride on air when driven empty. Read the owners manual which states most 3500's will not lower to alternate ride height when empty. The reason is there's not enough air in the bags when empty to lower the rear even more.

BilletWilson

Reaction score

After reading your comments again is sounds like you're referring to the system in the 2500's. Do you have a 2500 or 3500?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The only way adjustments can be experienced empty is when your bags have more air in them than what they're suppose to have. If that's the case your ride is harsher empty than what it's designed to be. 3500's are air assist which means they only come into play under load. The system is not meant or designed to ride on air when driven empty. Read the owners manual which states most 3500's will not lower to alternate ride height when empty. The reason is there's not enough air in the bags when empty to lower the rear even more.

It still has air in the airbags empty, it has to. There is a minimum pressure the bags have to be at for empty driving.

Drop your tailgate and measure the height. Then go into bed lowering mode (not alt ride height) and measure again. The truck will be lower, not much, but lower. That’s because there is air in the bags empty in normal ride height.

Yes it takes some weight to get into alternate ride height, that’s also due to the minimum pressure in the bags.

Try to engage alt without any payload, the truck will lower, pause, raise, and tell you insufficient payload. It lowered because there is air in the bags for normal ride height.

Bottom line, the bags are not fully deflated under normal empty conditions, period.

After reading your comments again is sounds like you're referring to the system in the 2500's. Do you have a 2500 or 3500?

3500 (in sig), and no… I’m describing the 3500 system and how it works, and has worked for me for 4+ years on 4 different 3500’s.

Last edited:

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
It still has air in the airbags empty, it has to. There is a minimum pressure the bags have to be at for empty driving.

Drop your tailgate and measure the height. Then go into bed lowering mode (not alt ride height) and measure again. The truck will be lower, not much, but lower. That’s because there is air in the bags empty in normal ride height.

Yes it takes some weight to get into alternate ride height, that’s also due to the minimum pressure in the bags.

Bottom line, the bags are not fully deflated under normal empty conditions, period.

3500 (in sig), and no… I’m describing the 3500 system and how it works, and has worked for me for 4+ years on 4 different 3500’s.

This is exactly how mine works. 2022 HO Mega, empty bed will drop almost an inch in “lowering mode”.

BilletWilson

Reaction score

3500, and no… I’m describing the 3500 system and how it works, and has worked for me for 4+ years on 4 different 3500’s.
You can press all the buttons you want in my truck and nothing will happen unless there's a load on the truck. The bags have just enough air for them not be completely empty as that can damage the bags. You are suppose to be able to easily press your thumb into them when they're empty and see them give 1/2" or so. Under load you're not pressing your thumb into them at all. 3500's are meant to ride on the leafs not the bags.

Users who are viewing this thread