Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 HO Diesel vs Standard Diesel

g00fy

Reaction score
It's the Aisin why people get the HO, not the engine. SO is more than capable but if they give it a few more ponies from the factory, it's a bonus, I'd still get the Aisin even if it was mated to SO. Your talking about marketing and such makes it sound like you're focusing too much on the engine

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
I know the Aisin is a commercial transmission that's supposed to be more sturdy, but most people who don't frequent the forums and aren't enthusiasts are just gonna look at the numbers and think "moar power is moar better!". I'm saying the SO is more than adequate, 68RFE & all, for the majority of people buying a SRW truck.

jetlag

Reaction score
I know the Aisin is a commercial transmission that's supposed to be more sturdy, but most people who don't frequent the forums and aren't enthusiasts are just gonna look at the numbers and think "moar power is moar better!". I'm saying the SO is more than adequate, 68RFE & all, for the majority of people buying a SRW truck.
Agreed

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

And yet we've had a few members post of overheating and slipping issues pulling heavy loads uphill with 68RFE.

Not saying those aren't outliers much like CP4 failures, but it happens.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
And yet we've had a few members post of overheating and slipping issues pulling heavy loads uphill with 68RFE.

I really only see one with a trans issue… the last poster said they replaced the entire trans and still had the same issues…

Rockman

Reaction score
I have had both and pull my toy hauler with them. The standard output gets better mileage unloaded… loaded it burns more than HO engine for me. The HO gets maybe 1-2 mpg worse unloaded but gets better mileage loaded. The standard output struggles a little more at highway speeds but I also have 35” tires. The HO does not struggle or downshift at 70mph when a hill is approached. I’m going to say this and it’s my opinion.. Why have any regrets just get the 3500 with high output and pull whatever you want lol

loveracing1988

Reaction score

This. The 68RFE is known to have a weak overdrive clutch. If I am towing I don't want to have to worry if the gear I am pulling in is going to give up going up a mountain or even on flat ground. With the Aisen I don't have to care about anything. Just hit tow haul and go.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
I found a. Comparison on line that summed it up this way, " if you test drive the SO and HO unloaded, you'll buy the SO. If you test drive the SO and the HO with a 10k trailer hooked to it, you'll buy the HO. "
I don't understand this. I never drove a SO only a HO but I have no complaints how it shifts loaded or unloaded. From what everyone said I was expecting it to shift like a dump truck but it's been smooth since the day I bought it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a doofus RAM 1500 owner say to me, "I test drove a RAM Cummins and it was slow compared to the Ford."

I replied, "I bought mine to tow, not to drag race." Adding, "The torque management holds it back until you hook a load to it, then it passes Fords."

GPurcell01

Reaction score
I found a. Comparison on line that summed it up this way, " if you test drive the SO and HO unloaded, you'll buy the SO. If you test drive the SO and the HO with a 10k trailer hooked to it, you'll buy the HO. "

This. I have a HO SRW. My father has a SO SRW. He prefers how his 68rfe drives. I must be weird but I like the lackadaisical ways of the Aisin unloaded. You can definitely feel the power difference between the two.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Ive owned both. They are both lazy and shift slowly unloaded. The shift strategies between the two transmissions is VERY similar.

The main difference in "feel" is not in either transmission, but the felt power and torque. The HO has more power and it is easily noticeable unloaded or loaded.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
My 2013 2500 diesel with the 68RFE. My 2020 3500 diesel with Aisin tranny also has the 4.10 rear axle. So the 3500 feels more like a tug monster than the 2500 did. But my 2500 had no issues with a 12K toyhauler even in the mountains. I bought the 3500 in preparation of buying a new 5th wheel that would be 15-16k which was too much for my 2500.

anderson0172

Reaction score
I've had both configurations, I had a 2020 3500 SRW with the SO/68 and I now have a 2021 3500 DRW with the HO/Aisin. I tow a 42' 15k lb 5th wheel andI prefer the Aisin, it's more clunky around town but I like it, and towing it is by far the better transmission with much better upshifts and downshifts. The power difference is not huge in daily driving but when towing it is highly noticeable. My HO gets up to speed much quicker, accelerates faster for passing and holds speed uphills much better.

Rampingup

Reaction score
Had a doofus RAM 1500 owner say to me, "I test drove a RAM Cummins and it was slow compared to the Ford."

I replied, "I bought mine to tow, not to drag race." Adding, "The torque management holds it back until you hook a load to it, then it passes Fords."
My last company truck was a Ford Powerstroke. It was chipped when the company bought it. It ran like a striped ape, could literally smoke all 4 tires. I towed 17k gooseneck from KC to Denver, no problem holding 70. My boss took the truck to Tulsa, While driving back, tore the transmission out of it. Couldn't get it rebuilt without being dechipped. $1500 to dechip & around $9k for the rebuild. Never ran as good. That being said, I am waiting on my 2022 3500 Limited HO to be built and delivered. I can't wait for the big engine/tranny. I probably will never tow anywhere near its limits, but I also won't worry about making it up or down the Colorado Rockies. The difference between the in price between SO and HO, about $1200, made it a no brainer for me. Just my opinion, your mileage may differ.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
So your best unloaded MPGs will be 15-16mpg not in the 20s like a Non-HO engine will. Sure the added power is great... but for the sacrifice of the money I spend each day, I should have bought a Non-HO with the 4.10 gears and I would have been perfectly happy.

I was right at 18 with my HO unloaded before it got cold and I had to start warming it up each day. And that was a mix of roughly 80% hwy and 20 city. Hwy I usually take has 68mph speed limit and I usually go @ 70. When I stay @ 60 or under, mpg goes over 20.
SRW 3.73 rear end.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GPurcell01

Reaction score
To get their added power numbers, Cummins dropped the compression ratio and altered the camshaft profile which puts the engine in boost ALL THE TIME... even unloaded. So your best unloaded MPGs will be 15-16mpg not in the 20s like a Non-HO engine will. Sure the added power is great... but for the sacrifice of the money I spend each day, I should have bought a Non-HO with the 4.10 gears and I would have been perfectly happy.
Different strokes for different folks I guess... I'm averaging over 17mpg easy on the highway leveled on 37's... 18mpg when stock and not even broken in. I'm still under 10k miles so I have some improvement to come still.

I love how it runs. Builds boost and just goes. The Aisin can be clunky if you want it to be - depending on how you drive. Smooth and firm shifts for me.

hognuts1960

Reaction score
My 2013 2500 diesel with the 68RFE. My 2020 3500 diesel with Aisin tranny also has the 4.10 rear axle. So the 3500 feels more like a tug monster than the 2500 did. But my 2500 had no issues with a 12K toyhauler even in the mountains. I bought the 3500 in preparation of buying a new 5th wheel that would be 15-16k which was too much for my 2500.
That's why I traded my 2018 2500 SO for a 2021 3500 HO DRW. I have a 40' 17k lb toy hauler and there is no comparison on stability and more torque on hills.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Nick

Reaction score
I have had both a 14 and the 20 I presently have. towing the same 5th wheel about 14 k . Get the HO ,if for nothing else the tranny . Towing up the same grade when I leave my house from dead stop about 5mph better the key is it gets up to speed quicker and the tranny just works better towing . Stays much cooler in 90 + temps when towing in stop and go traffic . A no brainer considering what you are towing.

tchur1

Reaction score
I just ordered a HO for the same reasons as others have stated. I live in the mountains and wanted to better tranny. I will never touch the limits of what my truck can tow but I like the piece of mind and bullet proof nature of that setup (knocking on wood).

Considering the price difference I would rather spend an extra $2500 on the engine and tranny and leave off some other options personally.

Users who are viewing this thread