Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 HO Diesel vs Standard Diesel

dec@ag1974

Reaction score
Ordering a new 2022 Ram 3500 4x4 with 8’ bed to pull a 35‘ Solitude S Fifth Wheel. Can someone suggest which powertrain option I should go with. I see confusing information regarding the HO that indicates I may not need the higher HP and torque. Help please and thank you.

Phil T

Reaction score
Ordering a new 2022 Ram 3500 4x4 with 8’ bed to pull a 35‘ Solitude S Fifth Wheel. Can someone suggest which powertrain option I should go with. I see confusing information regarding the HO that indicates I may not need the higher HP and torque. Help please and thank you.
The HO is amazing. Do it. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hognuts1960

Reaction score
So the fuel economy is better in the Reg Diesel with 68RFE trans
Maybe. 4.10 rear end only comes with HO.
I get 9 mpg pulling 17k trailer. I'm happy with the performance and fuel usage.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovegolf44

Reaction score
I have the SO SRW and have no problems with power nor the tranny. Towing 14500 GVWR fiver. Just my $02.

MtnRider

Reaction score
The SO will pull that 35' 5th wheel no problem. Biggest difference is going to be the transmission between the 2. I'd say if you are pulling full time (or a lot) go for the HO so you can get the Aisin. If it's just an occasional puller I think I would get the SO with the 68, it seems to have a little better daily driving manners. Disclaimer, I own a 68 and have only test driven the Aisin so by no means an expert on it, but that seems to be the consensus from what I have read as well.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Yolo. Get the big motor. Send it.

Truth. If youre spending big bucks, why not buy the best?

However, it's worth noting the SO motor will pull just about anything you plan to hook to it. They are NOT short on power.

Like said earlier, many folks buy the HO for the upgraded Aisin trans. I bought the HO/Aisin and have absolutely zero ragrets.

gadiver370

Reaction score
I have a ‘21 3500 SRW bighorn megacab and tow a 38’ fifth wheel camper that weighs about 15,500 lbs. I opted with the SO since this is my third Cummins truck with the 68 transmission since 2010. The 68 has been good to me for towing and everyday driving. I tow pretty frequent between the camper, 25’ boat, and farm trailers. I leave the truck bone stock except I’ll put 35” Toyo RT tires on them for added traction. The 68 shifts smoothly when not towing and when towing, there’s a difference when it shifts from 3-4 gear, but that occurs when I just ease into the throttle. It’s not noticeable if you just send it. That’s the characteristic of the 68, it doesn’t mean it’s bad. I’ve driven a 2018 3500 that had the AISIN and it shifted more firmly while not under load. Can’t speak on towing with a AISIN.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
SO will max out at around 18,000 lbs tow weight.
HO can roughly tow twice that (config depending).
My HO srw can tow about 25,000 lbs.
Not really the SO can pull way more than that hell my 2500 SO is good for 19k i believe in some 3500s it goes up to 23K….

g00fy

Reaction score
SO will max out at around 18,000 lbs tow weight.
HO can roughly tow twice that (config depending).
My HO srw can tow about 25,000 lbs.

I'd really like to see a TFL where they do a direct comparison of a 3500 SRW SO vs 3500 SRW HO to see how much of a difference there actually is in real world towing performance. I feel like the power difference is just marketing, since the 4500 & 5500's are de-rated a little (only 800ft/lbs) vs the SO (850ft/lbs) yet they have wildly high weight capacities. Even the Aisin vs 68RFE who knows if it's really that much better since I've seen people disappointed with both, and I've seen people praise both.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
I'd really like to see a TFL where they do a direct comparison of a 3500 SRW SO vs 3500 SRW HO to see how much of a difference there actually is in real world towing performance. I feel like the power difference is just marketing, since the 4500 & 5500's are de-rated a little (only 800ft/lbs) vs the SO (850ft/lbs) yet they have wildly high weight capacities. Even the Aisin vs 68RFE who knows if it's really that much better since I've seen people disappointed with both, and I've seen people praise both.

So to recap:

Differences between 68rfe/Aisin AND SO/HO Cummins are negligible and are really just marketing.

I like your style... this oughta go over well!

MEGA HO

Reaction score
It's not the engine, it's transmission that limits the max tow weight of HO vs SO. 4500/5500 engines are derated but they they come with Aisin and much lower final gear ratio, and most likely with much beefier rear suspension.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Not really the SO can pull way more than that hell my 2500 SO is good for 19k i believe in some 3500s it goes up to 23K….
I'm talking about factory numbers. Sure it will pull more but so will the HO.

g00fy

Reaction score
It's not the engine, it's transmission that limits the max tow weight of HO vs SO. 4500/5500 engines are derated but they they come with Aisin and much lower final gear ratio, and most likely with much beefier rear suspension.

I know the 4500 & 5500 are rated as high as they are because of gearing and chassis differences. I was just trying to point out that they do it with even less power than the SO to highlight the point that the HO hp & tq numbers are more about marketing than anything else.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I know the 4500 & 5500 are rated as high as they are because of gearing and chassis differences. I was just trying to point out that they do it with even less power than the SO to highlight the point that the HO hp & tq numbers are more about marketing than anything else.
It's the Aisin why people get the HO, not the engine. SO is more than capable but if they give it a few more ponies from the factory, it's a bonus, I'd still get the Aisin even if it was mated to SO. Your talking about marketing and such makes it sound like you're focusing too much on the engine

Users who are viewing this thread