Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3500 continuous, rhythmic bounce on concrete highway

waveslayer

Reaction score
Only ways to fix that would be Deaver Springs, and upgraded suspension

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Grey

Reaction score
Hi yes, first post, mistakenly put in wrong section
Cheap test guy, put about 500 lbs in the bed. Bags of salt, concrete, sand anything, Do a test drive see if you note a difference. Do let me know the result.

Best Regards
Grey

JKSchnoo

Reaction score
I thought concrete roads are poured in sections, are you feeling the seams that separate each sectio?
Yeah they are. It’s strange because it doesn’t feel like I’m feeling each seam, but rather like each section of concrete is a little hill and valley causing the trucks front end to get in a rhythmic rapid up and down bounce.

JKSchnoo

Reaction score
Cheap test guy, put about 500 lbs in the bed. Bags of salt, concrete, sand anything, Do a test drive see if you note a difference. Do let me know the result.

Best Regards
Grey
Yeah I was going to try something like that. Would a heavy duty steel bumper give the same effect?

JKSchnoo

Reaction score
Only ways to fix that would be Deaver Springs, and upgraded suspension

Thanks. I guess from what I’ve had others comment (posted twice mistakenly) that upgrading suspension and springs doesn’t have much of an effect

Power247

Reaction score
It's the road surface. On I-85 theres a section of about 5 miles that does this. Don't notice it in the car or 4runner but sure did with my previous truck ('12 Cummins) and current one ('19 hemi) both 2500s, and only in the front. I plan to level and get new tires and shocks in the spring. I hope that helps some.

Will_T

Reaction score
I'd lay odds on the road. Happens to me all the time.
This for sure. It happens in my truck on a particular new, concrete road here. When pulling the TT it is particularly annoying as it bounces the seat cushions off the the dinette seats and moves some other stuff around that normally stays put.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
The work truck Titan half ton will do the same on concrete, have to speed up when prudent.
It is pretty loaded with work stuff. It has to do with a certain wheelbase length, at a certain speed with road expansion joints set at a particular distance. IMO
If you got a one-ton for any good reason, I wouldn’t mess with it.

Last edited:

waveslayer

Reaction score
Thanks. I guess from what I’ve had others comment (posted twice mistakenly) that upgrading suspension and springs doesn’t have much of an effect
Ha ha guys saying that don't know then. Absolutely does upgraded suspension and Springs will solve that! You have HD springs, get some Deavers they are much better over stock. Suspension also helps because it's upgraded low compression , rebound, etc... all Plat a factor over bolt on cheap suspension

JKSchnoo

Reaction score
It's the road surface. On I-85 theres a section of about 5 miles that does this. Don't notice it in the car or 4runner but sure did with my previous truck ('12 Cummins) and current one ('19 hemi) both 2500s, and only in the front. I plan to level and get new tires and shocks in the spring. I hope that helps some
Yeah I’m starting to understand this. Did you notice any significant difference between the diesel and gas ride quality on concrete like that? From reading dozens of forum posts there are many diesel owners experiencing the same thing. Just hoping I didn’t concede ride quality getting the 6.4L hemi

waveslayer

Reaction score
Yeah I’m starting to understand this. Did you notice any significant difference between the diesel and gas ride quality on concrete like that? From reading dozens of forum posts there are many diesel owners experiencing the same thing. Just hoping I didn’t concede ride quality getting the 6.4L hemi
Won't matter the motor it's the suspension set up. Ride the same stretch in a luxury car, you won't feel it. Ride it in a truck with stiff suspension you will. Same issue with my old chevy, Ford f250, not my Raptor..., did in my Ram, then changed springs and suspension , gone.

scrmblr2

Reaction score
I also have experienced this and it is not all concrete, but certain sections for sure.i have been trying to remedy this as i have a drw 3500 and have played with:
Tire pressure: unloaded i am now running 55f & 35r cold tire pressure. These go up about 5 psi on the highway
Just installed air springs in the rear, gonna play with pressure there to see if it makes any difference
I have bilstein shirts wait to go in for the front and rear if no luck with air spirngs
Threw (4) tube sand 60lb each, in the bed to add more weigh to the rear. I had the lying around from my last truck, she was a 99f350 single rear wheel and only 2wd

I do not get it at all when towing. It may be a losing game I am playing but I hopefully have a whole bunch of time to play with settings. I only have 3500 miles on her right now and the snow seaon is w quickly approaching so now I am waiting to see how a drw does in the snow. At least I now have 4wd. :)

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Won't matter the motor it's the suspension set up. Ride the same stretch in a luxury car, you won't feel it. Ride it in a truck with stiff suspension you will. Same issue with my old chevy, Ford f250, not my Raptor..., did in my Ram, then changed springs and suspension , gone.

A stiffer suspension will no doubt transmit the phenomenon to the cabin in a more profound and jarring way, but guaranteed it isn’t gone to the unsprung parts.
I didn’t notice it much in my Raptor either, but bigger, soft sidewalled tires and a compliant suspension enabled of very little payload capability. He’s not going to make a one-ton’s suspension and tires compliant and still have a one-ton.
I have noticed that the PW while admittedly overloaded with tongue weight and gear/firewood etc, suffers less from the concrete so weight could make a difference, the poundage required to make a 3500 enjoy the same…maybe a pallet of bricks or something?

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
It's the road surface. On I-85 theres a section of about 5 miles that does this. Don't notice it in the car or 4runner but sure did with my previous truck
My car does not do this on the same section of road. I always thought it was related to the wheelbase of longer vehicles combined with something about the way the road was constructed. My old long bed Ford did the same thing.

ranchhopper

Reaction score
Same problem with my 2022 2500 its worse when pulling a loaded trailer behind me. I figured it may be something to do with the coil springs on the 2500 but like it was stated by the OP it stops when going onto the asphalt so its probably the saw cut expansion joints every so many feet.

2001WS6

Reaction score
I'd say it's the roads. I hit sections of that on 81 North and South in PA.

Its bad in the dually and even worse when i'm pulling a trailer. At one point it was so bad I ended up slowing down to 35 mph. If I stayed at the speed limits I'd probably be off the road.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
LIke a couple other comments, it's not just HD trucks. My dad used to have a 2WD 1500 with soft suspension that was horrible on a certain stretch of concrete highway. I've had 3500's that are worse on some roads than others but were capable of a good ride on good road. I had a 3500 that wasn't too bad on I-80 in Iowa but I took a 30+ ft travel trailer across there with it a few years ago, and my ribs were sore when I finally made it to Nebraska.

I've always been convinced it has a lot to do with wheelbase and the length of the concrete slabs. Once it starts, if you can get up to about 100, it'll usually smooth out. I know that's rarely a feasible option, just an observation.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
LIke a couple other comments, it's not just HD trucks. My dad used to have a 2WD 1500 with soft suspension that was horrible on a certain stretch of concrete highway. I've had 3500's that are worse on some roads than others but were capable of a good ride on good road. I had a 3500 that wasn't too bad on I-80 in Iowa but I took a 30+ ft travel trailer across there with it a few years ago, and my ribs were sore when I finally made it to Nebraska.

I've always been convinced it has a lot to do with wheelbase and the length of the concrete slabs. Once it starts, if you can get up to about 100, it'll usually smooth out. I know that's rarely a feasible option, just an observation.
Bumping it from 60 to 70mph stops it with my Titan on the expressways around here.
There are poles sticking out the back on it, when it starts… wocka wocka wocka….

Users who are viewing this thread