Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 vs 3500 suspension for towing

RamGuy84

Reaction score
so im trying to figure which to get, price is similar. I did drive a new 2500 with the off road package and really liked how it handled. I owned a 2014 2500 awhile back and for whatever reason I thought it squatted less with my trailer than my last 3500s did that had leaf springs.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
so im trying to figure which to get, price is similar. I did drive a new 2500 with the off road package and really liked how it handled. I owned a 2014 2500 awhile back and for whatever reason I thought it squatted less with my trailer than my last 3500s did that had leaf springs.
I just got a 2500 with air suspension and blew the bag. Be cautious if you go that route. Only good up to 1900 lbs.

archer75

Reaction score
I just got a 2500 with air suspension and blew the bag. Be cautious if you go that route. Only good up to 1900 lbs.
It's fine up to it's rated limited. Your truck just had a low payload due to it's configuration. With a different configuration a 2500 could have much less weight on it and thus much more payload and the bags would be fine. The weight on the suspension isn't just what you're towing but also the engine, options, cab, etc. of the truck too that takes away from that.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
It's fine up to it's rated limited. Your truck just had a low payload due to it's configuration. With a different configuration a 2500 could have much less weight on it and thus much more payload and the bags would be fine. The weight on the suspension isn't just what you're towing but also the engine, options, cab, etc. of the truck too that takes away from that.
I’m doing Longhorn Laramie loaded. Wish FCA would have direct answers. Or # to talk to get answers.

archer75

Reaction score
Can you call me 254-301-6571
Well no, i'm at work. In a cube living the dream. Probably best not to make personal phone calls here.

Even if you called FCA you're just going to get someone who's reading from the brochure.
Dealers lie or don't understand their own product. I've heard all sorts of dumb things from them. Same with RV dealers. You just have to do your own research. With anything really. When I got my truck they said some really stupid untrue things. Out of ignorance. Of course I knew they were wrong but just let them go.

Last edited:

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
Well no, i'm at work. In a cube living the dream. Probably best not to make personal phone calls here.
Ok. Later when you can but trying to decide if upgrade to 3500 with or without airbag suspension. What’s weight limits on those bags. What’s primary?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
@The HOFF . Your original truck was way over ratings...possibly over capacities as well.

In the pic thread another member has a very similar 5th wheel and a 3500 dually. Take a look at that and maybe ask him a question or too.

Also we have a personal message setup for talking one on one with some one.

If I were you, I would get the air suspension and 4.10 from your other questions. Your air suspension failed from all the right things met at all the right times. Your other 2016 truck, luckily never met all those conditions at exactly the right time, it was well overloaded as well.

I would also get the HO Cummins...that is a huge home on wheels you are towing.

I broke down the numbers for your other trucks, we can do that with a new one too.

Good luck with your purchase and hauling/towing in the future.

archer75

Reaction score
Ok. Later when you can but trying to decide if upgrade to 3500 with or without airbag suspension. What’s weight limits on those bags. What’s primary?
Weight limit is the door sticker. Stay within the rated payload limit and it will be fine. That limit is the same with or without them. They supplement the leaf springs.
Ram's site has payload ratings for each model. HOWEVER, the specific options and configuration you order take away from that value so the only way to know the exact payload is for them to build it and put it on a scale. That's why the door sticker is so important.

When I do upgrade I will be getting the 3500 SRW with air suspension. Just a crew cab as I don't want to mess with slide hitches, don't want a mega cab reducing payload(and don't need, crew cab has plenty of room for adults) and the HO cummins. My plan is to tow a future 5th wheel shorter than 35'. Though our plans could change and if we full time i'd likely get a larger 5th wheel and a dually.

Last edited:

B757dr

Reaction score
I almost ordered my 2019 purchase as a 2500. I had an ‘03 3500 sew and my buddy had an ‘05 2500, nearly the same spring packs but my 3500 had overload helpers. When ordering my 2019 I checked the factory tow ratings, big diff between the 2500 and 3500? Turns out ram put the 1500 coil spring set up on the 2500 and the 3500 has a proper leaf spring set up.

Djeazie

Reaction score
I almost ordered my 2019 purchase as a 2500. I had an ‘03 3500 sew and my buddy had an ‘05 2500, nearly the same spring packs but my 3500 had overload helpers. When ordering my 2019 I checked the factory tow ratings, big diff between the 2500 and 3500? Turns out ram put the 1500 coil spring set up on the 2500 and the 3500 has a proper leaf spring set up.

The 2500 has rear coils. But NOT the same coils as the 1500. I own one of each and can tell you the 2500 springs are ALOT more beefy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
I love my 3500 with Leaf springs and air ride leveling system. Great ride. Tried the 2500 with air ride and payload was not good at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

User_1648

Just installed an Air Lift 7500XL system that includes the bags, air compressor and associated hardware over the weekend. I had installed a Carli suspension lift that included an add-a-pack feature to my rear leaf springs. In order to install that part of the lift, I had to remove the overload spring (2019 3500). The first time I put my 5th wheel or my car hauler trailer on the rear end it sagged more that I would prefer. The new air bag system is phenomenal! I experimented with both trailers yesterday and the Air Lift system definitely works as advertised. Zero sag after inflation.

In case anyone is interested, I have the Wireless One (2nd gen) system. It came with a remote or I can use a phone app.

Tim

Aketay

Reaction score
I haul campers for a living and have done so for the last fifteen years. Absolutely love the coil sprung rearend. Less chatter on bad roads, less sway from the trailer and quieter as it gets older. I have Airlift 5000 air bags to level the headlights and preserve the front tires. The only knock (sic!) is when the sway bar links go bad, the sound it produces makes you think the front end is coming apart. $140 fix every 150,000 miles. On the ball hitch, tongue weight can be as high as 1900lbs with park models. On fifth wheels, pin weight can be as much as 3000lbs before the tires are physically overloaded. That said, I don’t even want to think about going back to leaf springs again.

U

User_1648

Hooked up my car hauler trailer this past weekend to deliver my Mustang to a guy up in Chicago who had just bought it from me. With the Mustang on the MaxxD trailer, the back end of the truck sagged almost 2 inches. Using the new Air Lift system I installed, I was able to bring the back end up to level and the ride to Chicago was flawless. I couldn't be more pleased with the results of this addition to my suspension.

BTW - brought this back with me...20200418_133718[1].jpg20200419_164436[1].jpg

U

User_1648

You can not park that car in that garage. That garage is car is for real vehicles... Cobras!
(I have an 03 SVT Terminator/vert)

I know...it's killing me (notice the signs on the wall...). But...this is actually a present for my lovely wife who just received a huge promotion. I'm looking at a GT500 at the moment.

Kimo7

HDRams' Official Greeter
Reaction score
Just installed an Air Lift 7500XL system that includes the bags, air compressor and associated hardware over the weekend. I had installed a Carli suspension lift that included an add-a-pack feature to my rear leaf springs. In order to install that part of the lift, I had to remove the overload spring (2019 3500). The first time I put my 5th wheel or my car hauler trailer on the rear end it sagged more that I would prefer. The new air bag system is phenomenal! I experimented with both trailers yesterday and the Air Lift system definitely works as advertised. Zero sag after inflation.

In case anyone is interested, I have the Wireless One (2nd gen) system. It came with a remote or I can use a phone app.

Tim
Are you still happy with the Air Lift? I know it’s a only been a month or so but just curious if you had a chance to use it enough to give some feedback. Thanks

U

User_1648

Are you still happy with the Air Lift? I know it’s a only been a month or so but just curious if you had a chance to use it enough to give some feedback. Thanks

@Kimo7 - Yes! I have used the Air Lift system several times since I installed it...including a long haul to Chicago and back. Works as advertised! I have the optional remote and it's a breeze to use.

Users who are viewing this thread