Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 Vinyl floor instead of carpet? Who has it?

P.A.

Reaction score
So I messed up and accidentally ordered my 2500 Big Horn with the vinyl flooring. I guess I thought the box to check was for mats or something..I really don't know. But it's done and I can't change it because I'm already in D1 status with a build date in a couple days I think.

I know may are saying they LOVE it, it's so much easier to clean, etc however, I'm a little worried because I'm afraid it will be noisier and I just like the feel of the carpet on my feet. I'm usually the passenger. Plus this is NOT a work truck it's our everyday driver.

Apparently there isn't the brackets or the things that hold carpet in therefore I can't just put down carpeted floor mats.

So my question is...has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it? Thanks.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
can't help much on the vinyl floors in the newer trucks...had a F550 cab/chassis back in early 2000's and honestly you kinda forgot about them being vinyl... a lot of people immediately remove their carpet floor mats and install some type of all weather vinyl/rubber mat anyway...with that said - it's going to be stuck in yalls heads every time you open the door

think i saw you had ordered from MD..me personally... I know they made you probably sign a "not going to sell for 6 months" statement...guessing there are some on here that ignore that, but generally speaking most are buying the truck for use, not to resell... i'd approach them about ordering another one and "allowing" you to sell the first order...just go through the process...especially since it's such an odd situation...by ordering from MD, you are buying it at a substantial discount, you could drive it for 2 months and sell it when the second order comes in and you would probably come out even or possibly even ahead...if you lost any $$ it'd be minimal...

P.A.

Reaction score
Yes you are correct..we did order from MD. We had the option to cancel order then reorder, but we really didn't want a push back of 6 weeks or possibly more. And yes we did sign a "do not sell" waiver. But even waiting 6 months then selling, we still would have to pay sales tax PLUS excise tax here in Oklahoma on this one then on a new one as well. Could come out ahead but with the price of fuel going up, the value of these trucks may not be so high in 6 months. Who knows!! So we'll just live with it. That's why I was hoping for some ideas of what to do.

PeabodyP

Reaction score
2020 2500 - And I have the vinyl flooring. I am also one of those that will tell you I love it due to the ease of cleaning. Mine is a daily driver and used for hauling our 5th wheel camper, but I have kids and pets, so most of the times the filth is worse than that of a work truck.

Mine DID come with brackets on the floor to add carpet floor mats if you wanted, so maybe that is still something you can do with your layout. Picture attached.

Attachments

• DSfloor.jpeg
    DSfloor.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 89

Thisnthat

Reaction score
right...my point was to ask MD to tear up/cancel/ignore/give you in writing that the 6 month no sell agreement wouldn't apply... allowing you to get out of the vinyl floors before the 6 months is up...meaning it may only be a month or two difference at most between the two trucks...if you had a chance to cancel and reorder...then yeah, you wouldn't be interested in going down that road...good luck with it

Number 7

Reaction score
Had the vinyl flooring in my 2021 2500 gasser and loved it. The 2022 CTD has the carpet.

I do recommend the Mopar floor mats. Work great. I don’t think you’ll notice any noise increase at all.

IowaPW

Reaction score
You've mentioned that your husband says this is a "no go". I'd really suggest working with MD to get an order that you are both happy with. Otherwise, it will always be a point of contention and not leave you satisfied with a $60k+ purchase. Get what you want, if it delays a few weeks...probably best for all involved. :)

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So I messed up and accidentally ordered my 2500 Big Horn with the vinyl flooring. I guess I thought the box to check was for mats or something..I really don't know. But it's done and I can't change it because I'm already in D1 status with a build date in a couple days I think.

I know may are saying they LOVE it, it's so much easier to clean, etc however, I'm a little worried because I'm afraid it will be noisier and I just like the feel of the carpet on my feet. I'm usually the passenger. Plus this is NOT a work truck it's our everyday driver.

Apparently there isn't the brackets or the things that hold carpet in therefore I can't just put down carpeted floor mats.

So my question is...has anyone had this problem and how did you solve it? Thanks.
Another option is to just buy the entire floor carpet after the fact, and swap it out. The OEM carpet is ~$350, and maybe MD can order it for you and you can install it. It’s really not that hard to do- front seats come out, rear seats can stay in, pull lower trim pieces, and the vinyl is just laying on the floor.

IowaPW

Reaction score
Another option is to just buy the entire floor carpet after the fact, and swap it out. The OEM carpet is ~$350, and maybe MD can order it for you and you can install it. It’s really not that hard to do- front seats come out, rear seats can stay in, pull lower trim pieces, and the vinyl is just laying on the floor.
And this here folks...is why Jimmy07...is the man. Great suggestion. Resolves the issue at hand and at a minimal cost. Cheers brother!

billybaloo

Reaction score
I had a 22 with carpet, I have a 21 with carpet. No increased noise with the carpet delete.

P.A.

Reaction score
You've mentioned that your husband says this is a "no go". I'd really suggest working with MD to get an order that you are both happy with. Otherwise, it will always be a point of contention and not leave you satisfied with a $60k+ purchase. Get what you want, if it delays a few weeks...probably best for all involved. :)
After we found out for sure my mistake meant no carpet, I contacted MD and confirmed that I couldn't change since I was in D1 status. My husband and I discussed it further and read many comments on FB about it being great and he agrees to accept it. We were given the option to cancel the order and reorder but he said no we'll just go with it. I do know however that we will want some kind of carpet in it even if temporary kind when we're on longer trips.

But you are right, these prices of these trucks should be everything you want, and I thought it was, although we did go without a couple things to save some money. But we did get the most important things. All in all, it's a truck, a very expensive truck, although not as expensive as some are building. The truck doesn't define us, it will pull our 5th wheel (we still have to buy that) and it will be fine. We're retired and won't have a note on it so we had to let go of some things. Carpet being one of them. LOL!!:D

At this point I'm just happy that my family and I are alive and healthy and am grateful to be able to purchase this truck and we will enjoy each day that GOD gives us.:)

P.A.

Reaction score
And this here folks...is why Jimmy07...is the man. Great suggestion. Resolves the issue at hand and at a minimal cost. Cheers brother!
That's an idea. I will certainly look into that if nothing else works. Thank you for that recommendation.

P.A.

Reaction score
The vinyl is very thick and insulated - it's just as quiet as a carpeted one if you ask me and I have driven in both. The vinyl does have the factory connections to attach rubber or carpeted mats. Here are the connectors:

index.php

Here are my Husky mats:

index.php
I wonder why my salesman at MD said she talked to the foreman in parts I think it was and he said the mats won't work on vinyl as they could slip and cause a hazard while driving. Those Husky's look nice. We have similar in our F150 now but we bought carpet mats to put over them. LOL!!

kevin588127

Reaction score
Get some weather techs and you will like it. I have vinyl in my 2014 1500 and love it. It didn't come with retention hooks for the mats and that is the only thing I don't like. The vinyl in the new trucks is better than what is in mine. It has retention hooks and has much more insulation under it. It also has a smoother texture which should make it even easier to clean. Vinyl floor was pretty high on my list when I ordered my 22 and mine isn't a work truck, it is a toy hauler. I have kids but like to keep my stuff clean. Vinyl is the only way to go for me.

Basser53

Reaction score
Most everyone buys a carpeted truck and puts vinyl floor mats down to cover the carpet.. nothing wrong with a vinyl floor, it's easy to clean.. our work trucks always had vinyl , there should be padding under it..

dynocompe

Reaction score
HI there, I remember seeing your post about this in the ordering thread. My mother has a Ford Limited Super duty, and it came without rubber flooring! No carpet at all. She loves it. you put some floor liners in there and you wont even notice! Looks like the drivers side at least has the clips for floor mats, for other areas, you could use heavy duty velco, if it holds bedrugs in place ontop of spray in bed liners, I think it would work for you! You can get this primer stuff by 3m to help it stick better if needed too. Its what holds side mouldings on cars for the life of them, its pretty strong, so just use it to hold the velcro in place! And as others have mentioned, you can always buy the carpet after and get it installed. I know rockauto has aftermrket options for full carpet jobs for other vehicles, never tried a new ram! I dont think it will be so bad! Tirefoam sure shines up a rubber floor nicely too, quick and easy!

P.A.

Reaction score
HI there, I remember seeing your post about this in the ordering thread. My mother has a Ford Limited Super duty, and it came without rubber flooring! No carpet at all. She loves it. you put some floor liners in there and you wont even notice! Looks like the drivers side at least has the clips for floor mats, for other areas, you could use heavy duty velco, if it holds bedrugs in place ontop of spray in bed liners, I think it would work for you! You can get this primer stuff by 3m to help it stick better if needed too. Its what holds side mouldings on cars for the life of them, its pretty strong, so just use it to hold the velcro in place! And as others have mentioned, you can always buy the carpet after and get it installed. I know rockauto has aftermrket options for full carpet jobs for other vehicles, never tried a new ram! I dont think it will be so bad! Tirefoam sure shines up a rubber floor nicely too, quick and easy!
Thank you for this information. Really anxious to get this truck so I can see!! I will definitely look into these suggestions. :D

AJ608

Reaction score
I have it in my current truck and it's great. I didn't see it as an option to get in the truck I ordered or I would have

P.A.

Reaction score
I have it in my current truck and it's great. I didn't see it as an option to get in the truck I ordered or I would have
It was an option on the 2500 build. Do you happen to have a pic of your vinyl floor? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread