Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2500 - GVWR and payload

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Don’t think so, all the 19+ trucks aside from the PW get the 12.0” housing. Not all of them get the 12.0” R&P, only the HO’s.

This is the opposite of how the 11.8/11.5 worked.
Well if thats the case i was told opposite no biggy just means more axle capacity lol. I thought you had told me that before o_O

Blythkd1

Reaction score
The chassis cab is a 3rd member style axle with a full banjo housing.
What's that mean? I don't follow. I thought it was the same rear as other trucks except with different spring perch spacing?

Edit: Oh I got it now. My 3500 C&C has the standard rearend. Maybe it's just the 4500/5500 C&C trucks that have the 3rd member setup? Wonder if they're also an AAM or Spicer?

Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What's that mean? I don't follow. I thought it was the same rear as other trucks except with different spring perch spacing?

Edit: Oh I got it now. My 3500 C&C has the standard rearend. Maybe it's just the 4500/5500 C&C trucks that have the 3rd member setup? Wonder if they're also an AAM or Spicer?

Do you have the Max Tow package?

I think they are the same housing on the 3500 C&C too.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I do not. I have the low HP engine, I know that.

All C&C get the same engine, but there is a max tow package on the 3500 C&C that gets your the 12.0” R&P and 4.10’s.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
The axles are rated at 10,900lbs from the manufacture so you wont be at risk of a terrible failure i personally would have no issue pulling that load with a good set of airbags i have towed my buddys momentum by grand river and it is 16k gvwr and it was loaded down heavy i had no issues and never any uncomfortable feeling and it towed quite nicely
Do you have a link to this 10k rating?

UglyViking

Reaction score
I have never seen a actual spec sheet from the manufacture with these ratings. Not saying it doesn't exist, I've just not been able to find it previously. I've heard numbers ranging from 10k up to 11.5k for the axle rating. I think that an important consideration with this is, even if it's true that the axle is rated to 12k (for sake of argument), there is no way of knowing if it's "up to" 12k, or a static 12k. Not every OEM is going to purchase the top level spec of every item from the manufacturer, especially if it's not needed.

Past that, I've always been told that the GAWRs are to include wheel, tire, and suspension, not just the axle rating. So while your axle may be capable of supporting 10k in the default configuration, it's guaranteed that your tires are not, just as a single example.

Again, this discussion is about as old as time. Some guys want 50% overhead on their payload/GAWR numbers. Some guys are comfortable going 50% over. Some guys don't even look at the numbers and say fun quotes like "don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon".

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Well if thats the case i was told opposite no biggy just means more axle capacity lol. I thought you had told me that before o_O

Yes, definitely more than the 10,912 we’ve known about for years. Even the 11.5” was improved in the 07 era.

It’s a strong axle, and not the weak link.

The easiest way to tell the different axle housings is the diff cover. 11.5” is the 03-18 cover pattern and
I have never seen a actual spec sheet from the manufacture with these ratings. Not saying it doesn't exist, I've just not been able to find it previously. I've heard numbers ranging from 10k up to 11.5k for the axle rating. I think that an important consideration with this is, even if it's true that the axle is rated to 12k (for sake of argument), there is no way of knowing if it's "up to" 12k, or a static 12k. Not every OEM is going to purchase the top level spec of every item from the manufacturer, especially if it's not needed.

Past that, I've always been told that the GAWRs are to include wheel, tire, and suspension, not just the axle rating. So while your axle may be capable of supporting 10k in the default configuration, it's guaranteed that your tires are not, just as a single example.

Again, this discussion is about as old as time. Some guys want 50% overhead on their payload/GAWR numbers. Some guys are comfortable going 50% over. Some guys don't even look at the numbers and say fun quotes like "don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon".

I called AAM a long time ago and was told the 10,912lbs (4,950kg) rating for the 11.5” housing.

GAWR is a combo of everything. On the SRW it’s the wheel/tire combo. On the DRW it’s likely suspension or frame.

Users who are viewing this thread