Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 Trucks and the Missing Emissions Sensor

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
For those who have taken delivery of your 22 Cummins trucks, have you been given any information on what to expect in regards to how the truck will act without the emissions sensor in place? I picked my truck up about two weeks ago and have noticed so far that the truck seems to be getting rather lousy fuel economy. I’ve been using the dashboard to monitor the DPF levels and the fuel mileage seems to tank when the truck is cleaning itself out. Mileage gets better once the DPF reads clean or empty. I realize the fuel mileage should improve as the engine breaks in, just curious what others are seeing in their trucks. Also, I checked to see if there’s any recall information relating to that DPF sensor and as of yet it says no active recalls.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffn

Reaction score
that missing sensor has no effect on mpg. Based on what was published, the sensor checks to make sure the emissions equipment is fubctioning.

RAM will do a recall when the part is available in sufficient quantities

DougB

Reaction score
Are we certain this sensor was not installed per original communications? I only have 514 miles and haven't looked at the DPF screen to see what's going on.

Here's the original text I got from Sandi when I ordered.

1639149436123.png

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Are we certain this sensor was not installed per original communications? I only have 514 miles and haven't looked at the DPF screen to see what's going on.

Here's the original text I got from Sandi when I ordered.

View attachment 27666

I am not sure. I haven’t gotten any information to say that it was installed. I’m still operating under the assumption that the sensor isn’t in the truck since that was the original paperwork I was shown when I ordered. I started this thread in the hopes someone would be able to give us more info. I’m happy to crawl under the truck and see if it’s there, just don’t know exactly where it is located on the DPF. I guess I could start looking for plugged or capped ports under there….

DougB

Reaction score
I reached out to Aaron at Mark Dodge. He said parts are still short. Thus, I assume no trucks are coming with them. Perhaps regens are done on a time or mileage basis in the absence of the proper hardware.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I reached out to Aaron at Mark Dodge. He said parts are still short. Thus, I assume no trucks are coming with them. Perhaps regens are done on a time or mileage basis in the absence of the proper hardware.

It would seem that is the case. I picked mine up on the 29th of November and I currently have about 600 miles on it. The DPF was reading about 25% full the first few hundred miles and seemed to clean itself out as it now reads zero. The fuel mileage suffered initially but now seems to be improving. I assumed the increased fuel consumption was a result of the truck cleaning itself out.

agtcovert

Reaction score
Regens can be either soot load or time based. Every 24 hours of runtime will trigger a regen no matter what. On my new '22 though, I haven't seen the DPF screen show anything, and my '20 did, especially if I had a few short trips, that sort of thing.

Haven't gotten any recall notice, and Aaron didn't say anything about it (and that's the guy who shipped me license plate screws so I didn't have to go get them), so who knows. If it's missing, I'm assuming we'll be notified when parts are around in 2025.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
When it regens it burns hot to clean the DPF it is normal to use more fuel at that time

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
My DPF gauge is definitely reading. I had a 1 hour run yesterday after work. All highway speed 70+mph. I checked the gauge before I started the trip and it was reading around the 1/4 full level. Just checked it again after arriving at work this morning and it’s now showing around an 1/8. Not sure if this data is accurate, or if the missing sensor has anything to do with the info I’m seeing.
cf25833a6b729214ac75b3defe9e6e82.jpg

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My DPF gauge is definitely reading. I had a 1 hour run yesterday after work. All highway speed 70+mph. I checked the gauge before I started the trip and it was reading around the 1/4 full level. Just checked it again after arriving at work this morning and it’s now showing around an 1/8. Not sure if this data is accurate, or if the missing sensor has anything to do with the info I’m seeing.
cf25833a6b729214ac75b3defe9e6e82.jpg

Thats interesting you see that much activity on the gauge, is yours a HO? I have 42,000km on my SO and only once have i seen anything on the gauge when it read 1/8 after a few hard throttle take offs it cleared…. I always leave it on the DPF page as for the longest time i thought it may not be reading

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats interesting you see that much activity on the gauge, is yours a HO? I have 42,000km on my SO and only once have i seen anything on the gauge when it read 1/8 after a few hard throttle take offs it cleared…. I always leave it on the DPF page as for the longest time i thought it may not be reading

Yep it’s a 22 HO 3500 DRW.

I’ve seen it go as high as 1/4. My weekly driving is a mix of highway and local so it seems to clear itself. I wasn’t sure if the gauge was even going to work due to the 22’s being shipped without that one DPF sensor. I have almost 1,100 miles on the truck so far.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yep it’s a 22 HO 3500 DRW.

I’ve seen it go as high as 1/4. My weekly driving is a mix of highway and local so it seems to clear itself. I wasn’t sure if the gauge was even going to work due to the 22’s being shipped without that one DPF sensor. I have almost 1,100 miles on the truck so far.

I think the HO trucks see more action on the gauge plus i run mine pretty hard and depending on where i am driving the throttle is more like an ON/OFF switch until i set cruise on the highway lol

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the HO trucks see more action on the gauge plus i run mine pretty hard and depending on where i am driving the throttle is more like an ON/OFF switch until i set cruise on the highway lol

I usually restrict mine out of 6th gear below 55mph. Where I live the terrain changes. Lots of rapid little hill changes and very little flat except highway. Seems to do better as it’s not seeking last gear all the time. I can tell the transmission is still learning. I try not to idle the truck anymore than I have to. So far the emissions system seems to equal what I experienced on my 2017.

spib

Reaction score
With my new truck, (2022 cummins powered tradesman, build date 11-21 on door jamb) burried in the paperwork was this:
I have been notified that I will receive an emissions recall notice, at a future date, to return the vehicle for installation of the exhaust particulate filter sensor
I asked but nobody at the dealership knew what this was about. The guy at the service counter checked for recall notices and said there were none, and said he didnt think it appled to my truck.
I crawled underneath I think I found the part in question? Not sure, if this is it and the picture isnt great but there is a black thing above the two pipes with wires attached.
exhaustthingy.jpg

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
With my new truck, (2022 cummins powered tradesman, build date 11-21 on door jamb) burried in the paperwork was this:
I have been notified that I will receive an emissions recall notice, at a future date, to return the vehicle for installation of the exhaust particulate filter sensor
I asked but nobody at the dealership knew what this was about. The guy at the service counter checked for recall notices and said there were none, and said he didnt think it appled to my truck.
I crawled underneath I think I found the part in question? Not sure, if this is it and the picture isnt great but there is a black thing above the two pipes with wires attached.
View attachment 28601
Pictured below is the sensor that would be missing, and it’s module that it plugs into:
F53E67C1-6B73-4C4D-BBDB-2079F8807A77.jpeg
ACC12409-57DE-431F-B08E-CD3CE23181AB.jpeg

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Pictured below is the sensor that would be missing, and it’s module that it plugs into:
View attachment 28648
View attachment 28649

Thanks for posting this Jimmy. I will have to crawl under my truck and take a peek at this. Can you explain specifically what this missing hardware does when it is installed and functioning properly? And perhaps what the truck is programmed to do in the absence of said sensor? Thanks!

Will_T

Reaction score
The DPF was reading about 25% full the first few hundred miles and seemed to clean itself out as it now reads zero. The fuel mileage suffered initially but now seems to be improving. I assumed the increased fuel consumption was a result of the truck cleaning itself out.

Interesting to see all those with readouts on the DPF. My truck is a 2021 SO but I have never seen the DPF above 0%. Many others have posted the same thing, never seeing any reading on the DPF gauge. Odd that trucks would differ so much like that. My truck does do a regen every 24 hours though, on the dot. I looked at the status once at about 23-1/2 hours since the last regen. Still showed 0%. Then regen then started anyway as soon as it hit 24 hours.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this Jimmy. I will have to crawl under my truck and take a peek at this. Can you explain specifically what this missing hardware does when it is installed and functioning properly? And perhaps what the truck is programmed to do in the absence of said sensor? Thanks!

It’s part of the DEF system, and it was added in 2019 for emissions. It helps determine how much DEF gets used to knock down nox by measuring soot load. This added sensor for emissions requirements is why the 2019+ use more DEF than previous years. BUT, it being gone from the 2022’s is no reason to “celebrate” a missing emissions device. I’m guessing since they got a variance to sell 2022’s without it, they had to show that they could compensate for it via programming- which is probably a calculated dose of DEF based on other parameters, and it would probably be more on the side of heavier doses.

spib

Reaction score
Jimmy thanks for the picture and explaination. My truck seems to be missing that part. The sensor isnt there:exhaustthingy2.jpg
Looks like the module isnt there either, but I couldnt get my phone up in there to take a picture of the empty spot next to the thing that the blue cable plugs into.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I haven't looked to see if Iam misting this part... probably is...
On about a 500 mile sounds trip I used about 2 gallons of DEF...About what I used in my 2019.

I would have never known this if I had not come across this thread....

I suspect my dealer knows nothing as well

Users who are viewing this thread