Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

22 RAM 3500 HO, FCA restricted list due to modifications, transmission issues

Vardoz

Reaction score
To make a long story long, I built and ordered a 2022 RAM 3500 with the HO. Took over 9mos to receive and noticed an immediate issue with the trans on my way home from receiving it. Took it to the dealer and had to make an appt. In the meantime I had a Carli lift installed with a 37” wheel set up.
Once I took it in, they claimed it was a faulty fuel control actuator. Problem persisted and took it in numerous times after.
After 5 visits for trans issues, FCA finally came out and claimed it’s due to “modifications”. Now I’m stuck, the trans blew on the highway. Had it towed to the dealer and they are refusing service.

If anyone has advice, please let me know. Trans blows because of a 3” lift with 37”? GTFO!

I only have 9,000 miles on it!!!

FCA has not reached out but did confirm there is a claim. Attorney will be contacted.

Attachments

• IMG_4752.jpeg
    IMG_4752.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4758.jpeg
    IMG_4758.jpeg
    677.6 KB · Views: 64

BikePilot

Reaction score
Big tires without regearing does put added strain on the transmission. However given that it's a '22 HO it probably has a defective snap ring grove in the transmission that let go, and that has nothing to do with load or tire size. They should cover that under warranty. If you smoked the clutches or torque converter those probably would not be covered.

Vardoz

Reaction score
What symptoms would you feel if there was a faulty snap ring? From the beginning prior to any mods, truck had huge delay, crazy shift points & lack of power.

mountainears

Reaction score
The sequencing of your original post seems to mention that you took it to the dealer with the issue PRIOR to having the lift and tires installed. Is that correct? If so there should be paperwork with dates that they inspected the issue and other paperwork with the install of the lift / tires. Should be pretty easy with that, I would certainly escalate those facts with the local dealership first (if you haven’t already).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vardoz

Reaction score
The sequencing of your original post seems to mention that you took it to the dealer with the issue PRIOR to having the lift and tires installed. Is that correct? If so there should be paperwork with dates that they inspected the issue and other paperwork with the install of the lift / tires. Should be pretty easy with that, I would certainly escalate those facts with the local dealership first (if you haven’t already).

The problem is that walk in visit was to make the initial appointment. I got the lift done the following week since the appointment was 2 weeks out. Only got the lift done quickly because CJC off-road had a long waiting period and they got me in due to a cancelation.

BikePilot

Reaction score
What symptoms would you feel if there was a faulty snap ring? From the beginning prior to any mods, truck had huge delay, crazy shift points & lack of power
It's more all or nothing. Might explain it failing entirely.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
The snap ring failure issue takes out gears 1-4 for sure and reverse too iirc. You would still have 5th and 6th and some guys have noted limping down the road in overdrive to get off the road, get home, etc. There's a major thread on the issue. FCA knows about it, they've already replaced several transmissions with new units.

mountainears

Reaction score
The problem is that walk in visit was to make the initial appointment. I got the lift done the following week since the appointment was 2 weeks out. Only got the lift done quickly because CJC off-road had a long waiting period and they got me in due to a cancelation.

Ah. That’s a bummer. Would have been good documentation.

When you made the appointment did you tell them the issue? Maybe that got recorded somewhere?

In any case. My thinking would be to get them to see what actually failed and then they would need to prove the larger tires and or lift caused it. That said, you’ll probably have to pay out of pocket and hope to recoup. The other option of course is to try another dealer but since it is already in the system that could be an issue.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
What symptoms would you feel if there was a faulty snap ring? From the beginning prior to any mods, truck had huge delay, crazy shift points & lack of power.

That plus 9K miles doesn't really scream K1 snap ring failure to me.

Doesn't the dealer have a record of the date the appointment was made (your walk-in?) Seems like they're avoiding a warranty claim on a technicality.

snopro

Reaction score
To make a long story long, I built and ordered a 2022 RAM 3500 with the HO. Took over 9mos to receive and noticed an immediate issue with the trans on my way home from receiving it. Took it to the dealer and had to make an appt. In the meantime I had a Carli lift installed with a 37” wheel set up.
Once I took it in, they claimed it was a faulty fuel control actuator. Problem persisted and took it in numerous times after.
After 5 visits for trans issues, FCA finally came out and claimed it’s due to “modifications”. Now I’m stuck, the trans blew on the highway. Had it towed to the dealer and they are refusing service.

If anyone has advice, please let me know. Trans blows because of a 3” lift with 37”? GTFO!

I only have 9,000 miles on it!!!

FCA has not reached out but did confirm there is a claim. Attorney will be contacted.
Odd that Ram offers its own 2.5 in. factory leveling kit..had one put on my 2011 2500, 6.7..And one is ordered for install on my new 2023, 3500 HO...hmmmm

Riddick

Reaction score
There should be documentation showing when you originally scheduled the appointment, you can compare this to the receipt of when you had your lift installed. This will clearly show you had in issue prior to the lift.

The issue your going to have is the bigger tires do in fact put more strain on your drivetrain. I hope you get this resolved but they will more than likely fight you on this.

As they say, if you give them any reason to potentially void your warranty.................. they will.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Odd that Ram offers its own 2.5 in. factory leveling kit..had one put on my 2011 2500, 6.7..And one is ordered for install on my new 2023, 3500 HO...hmmmm

Factory installed or dealer installed? There is a huge difference.

I’ve never seen an option to order a factory leveling kit for a Ram, not in a brochure or on an order sheet.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Dealer installed.

If it's factory as claimed, please provide the sales order code from your POC.

Riddick

Reaction score
Lift should not void the drivetrain warranty, its the 37" tires Stellantis is using as grounds to deny coverage. I think its complete BS and 100% believe they are responsible but its a gamble we take when we mod our brand new trucks. Keep us updated OP.

snopro

Reaction score
Factory installed or dealer installed? There is a huge difference.

I’ve never seen an option to order a factory leveling kit for a Ram, not in a brochure or on an order sheet.
Mopar performance P5155497 factory performance 4" lift 2010-2014

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
And the difference is???

The difference is stated in the reply.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

FCA doesn't offer factory (plant) installed lift kits on pickup trucks. All MOPAR lift kits are dealer installed. MOPAR is in effect, just another aftermarket manufacturer. If you want a warranty on them, you have to purchase a specific lift kit warranty. I know FCA did offer Maxcare on lift kits at one time, perhaps they still do - for a price.

Just because you can buy a MOPAR crate motor, doesn't mean you can order one installed by the factory or have it covered under the factory bumper-bumper or powertrain warranty.

Bottom line, you've been claiming "factory installed" when there simply is no such thing as a factory installed lift kit.

Users who are viewing this thread