Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Ram HD

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
ZF trans with lifetime filter and extended fluid, lol no thanks… and a silly electic shift knob…. probably similar garbage to the ZFs they ran in the 1500s. Or like the crap ZF PS pumps in the early 3rd gens.

A passenger side 10” screen becuse a 14.5” one in the front isn’t enough. You have gotta be kidding me. More garbage…

The possible plug in 2000 watt power station kinda sounds cool for a contractor type or camping.

I guess order a 24 before your stuck with more nonsense

As usual, you add nothing meaningful to the thread.

UglyViking

Reaction score
So, I am really really hoping they don't go with the shifting dial on the new ZF. When the new trucks started coming with that I thought it was even the Cummins trucks, and I never even looked at one because of it. It wasn't until we were buying my wife a new wrangler that I poked into the cummins cab and saw the column shifter. That fateful day lead me on a journey here.

Similarly, I do not, for the life of me, understand why every mid size truck puts in console shifters. These trucks are small enough and yet they stuck a giant shifter right in the console storage space? What gives?

Enve46

Reaction score
Having the dial shifter in my PW is really not a big deal as I thought it would be. Certainly a few times I went to grab it and turned the volume hahaha but it’s not a deal breaker. I much prefer the colum shifter but Ram can’t figure out how to make those so they won’t loosen and cause other issues like my 2019 and 2022 had. I’d certainly deal with the dial shifter to have the 8 speed behind a Cummins, it’s a fantastic transmission. Let’s just hope Ram doesn’t find a way to screw it up with tuning.

Riccochet

Reaction score
I don't understand the point of a column shifter with modern transmissions. There's no linkage, it's all electronic. Dial, push buttons, something else, is all perfectly fine with me. Just no console shifter. I do like the open console for storage.

I do hope they put an 8 speed behind the Cummins.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I don't understand the point of a column shifter with modern transmissions. There's no linkage, it's all electronic. Dial, push buttons, something else, is all perfectly fine with me. Just no console shifter. I do like the open console for storage.

I do hope they put an 8 speed behind the Cummins.
Starting to wonder if I'm hitting a certain point in my life where I just hate change. That said, I think there are a number of reasons, the most obvious being guys who plow. Those knob shifters must be absolute nightmares. I'm sure there are other options, but the column shifter gives you a very clear gated function (when designed well) that allows you to select gear without having to pay attention to the selector really. I suppose it may be close enough with the knob or something else, I've never given it a shot, but I just never felt like the column got in the way or was a poor option.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I mean I'm sort if used to it now...but a few times when I first got the truck I went to turn the volume down without looking and almost need a new tranny! lol

Now I find myself looking for that damn knob when I'm driving other cars. All the same, I would prefer a column shifter... but I'm definitely an old curmudgeon, now get off my lawn! :p

MarkCO1

Reaction score
One of the reasons I bought the 2022 is that they keep adding more and more "stuff" to these that I don't want. In my mind, the 6.4L with the 8 speed is the powertrain I wanted, and at least around here, the used ones were always priced too high. The glut of new 2023 and 2024s on the lots depressed the price on used enough that I found what I wanted for the price I could live with. I consumed all the data I could on the new Hurricane motors, even saw one in person that was doing a tow test up I70.

It seems to me, that all HDs should have rear wheel well liners and 4 corner mud flaps, but such an easy add. I guess I'm not wishing for anything in the 2025 since I got what I wanted in the 2022, or close enough that the adds-ons were simple enough for me to do, so far.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I agree on the new tech. I'm at a point where I really don't want much new tech, even though some of it looks really cool. Like the new digital cluster looks super cool, but knowing how the uconnect works, I'm highly suspect of it. I also really dig the 12" uconnect screen, but the lack of full screen android auto and lack of physical temp controls (AC, heated seat, etc.) is an annoyance. I also dig the digital rearview mirror for use with a cap/canopy, and the 360 cameras have been shockingly nice and thus far (knock on wood) no issues.

All that stuff is super cool, but it generally adds on a bunch of stuff I don't want, and it's rocketed the price of these trucks from high to insane. I bought my 19 back in 2020 and paid 60k OTD. I thought that was all the money in the world for a truck, and now that same truck would retail for around 80k, which is just not going to happen for a mid tier HD truck for me. In fact often times I wish that I had found a Tradesman or Bighorn and just added on some of the features I wanted, rather than paying the upcharge for the extras out of the gate. A bit of a niche use case for me though since my truck is non basically a daily driver and dedicated "diesel power wagon" for off road trips.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
In fact often times I wish that I had found a Tradesman or Bighorn and just added on some of the features I wanted
It took me a while to come to terms with the BigHorn being the "best bang for the buck" for me. Coming from a 1500 Longhorn that had everything. Adding about $2K of aftermarket stuff was better than paying $7K more and not liking half of that. I have bought the Aux panel and factory wiring kit, but I am going to make sure I have a nice 3 or 4 days and warm weather before I tackle that.

Riccochet

Reaction score
You can spec a bighorn to be about 98% of what a Laramie is, minus the leather seats. If I could have found a bighorn with the options I wanted I'd have bought it. I really didn't want my Longhorn, but it popped up for sale at a smokin price, so here we are.

Even tried ordering a Bighorn specced how I wanted it, but the dealers all wanted to gouge on pricing. Because they wanted to sell me what they had on the lot, none of which was what I wanted, with their stupid laundry list of dealer add-on's that they refused to take off.

jkempken

Reaction score
I mean I'm sort if used to it now...but a few times when I first got the truck I went to turn the volume down without looking and almost need a new tranny! lol

Now I find myself looking for that damn knob when I'm driving other cars. All the same, I would prefer a column shifter... but I'm definitely an old curmudgeon, now get off my lawn! :p
I'm not 100% sure but I believe you have to have your foot on the brake in order to shift with the dial so hopefully that prevents blowing up a trans.
The thing I did not like with the dial is that you cannot drive forward or reverse with the driver door open, so many times I do that in my current truck and was glad I got the ability to do it when I upgraded to the 3500.
I still get in my brothers truck which is a 1500 and go for the column shift but just get air lol.

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I believe you have to have your foot on the brake in order to shift with the dial so hopefully that prevents blowing up a trans.
The thing I did not like with the dial is that you cannot drive forward or reverse with the driver door open, so many times I do that in my current truck and was glad I got the ability to do it when I upgraded to the 3500.
I still get in my brothers truck which is a 1500 and go for the column shift but just get air lol.
Well...I would hope it doesn't explode, but I certainly dont want to find out, lol. My luck it'll be the one idiot-proof feature they didn't do. ;)

Definitely agree in the door thing. Makes trailer parking frustrating...well, MORE frustrating lol

Riccochet

Reaction score
I believe you can open the door while in gear with the seatbelt buckled. Just clip that sucker behind you if it's an issue.

Can't say I've tried to use the gear selector dial while moving. I have gone to put my Gladiator in gear and turned the radio volume up.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
for the majority of driving, the dial I guess works fine, but I don't like using it one bit. I'd hate to have to try and "rock" the truck while being stuck with the dial vs a column shifter. was with my daughter driving our 21 6.4 and she pulled out into traffic a little too far and attempted to back up and instead put the truck into park. very little room for "error" when changing gears.

dieselscout80

Reaction score
for the majority of driving, the dial I guess works fine, but I don't like using it one bit. I'd hate to have to try and "rock" the truck while being stuck with the dial vs a column shifter. was with my daughter driving our 21 6.4 and she pulled out into traffic a little too far and attempted to back up and instead put the truck into park. very little room for "error" when changing gears.
I really like my ZF8 speed, but I have wondered how to rock the truck back and forth if stuck. Going from reverse to drive is easy, but not sure how going from drive to reverse will/would work.

The owners manual says:
NOTE:
 For trucks equipped with an 8–speed transmission, shifts between DRIVE and REVERSE can only be achieved at wheel speeds of 5 mph (8 km/h) or less. Whenever the transmission remains in NEUTRAL (N) for more than two seconds, you must press the brake pedal to engage DRIVE or REVERSE.

 Push the ESC Off switch, to place the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system in “Partial Off” mode, before rocking the vehicle. Refer to “Electronic Brake Control System” in “Safety” for further information. Once the vehicle has been freed, push the ESC Off switch again to restore “ESC On” mode.

Last edited:

Enve46

Reaction score
I really like my ZF8 speed, but I have wondered how to rock the truck back and forth if stuck. Going from reverse to drive is easy, but not sure how going from drive to reverse will/would work.

The owners manual says:
NOTE:
 For trucks equipped with an 8–speed transmission, shifts between DRIVE and REVERSE can only be achieved at wheel speeds of 5 mph (8 km/h) or less. Whenever the transmission remains in NEUTRAL (N) for more than two seconds, you must press the brake pedal to engage DRIVE or REVERSE.

 Push the ESC Off switch, to place the Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system in “Partial Off” mode, before rocking the vehicle. Refer to “Electronic Brake Control System” in “Safety” for further information. Once the vehicle has been freed, push the ESC Off switch again to restore “ESC On” mode.
What is this yall referring to rocking the truck back and forth? Like if you’re stuck in mud/snow?

Users who are viewing this thread