Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 3500 - does having camera plugs equate to functionality enabled?

kamos

Reaction score
Howdy -

So, I'm new to the forum - my apologies if this has been discussed previously. I've done many searches and can't quite get my particular question nailed down.

I've just purchased a Limited 2024 3500. Before doing the deal I asked the dealer to confirm that I would be able to use tow cameras via the rearview mirror and the main display. The response was "the plugs are there in the bumper and box - as soon as you plug in the cameras you'll be good to go"...

I've been searching thru the settings etc. and the digital rear view mirror does not show the trailer view as an option - I'd expect it to say "no camera" but there's just no option. On the main display, there is no trailer surround softkey but there are two Aux camera buttons. When I go to configure them I get a message "wireless cameras not enabled". Which I find even more puzzling as everything I've read to date makes it clear that the rear trailer camera and the surround trailer cameras are "wired" only.

My suspicion is that the plugs being there to not in fact mean I have the functionality. The window sticker does not explicitly call out the tow camera packages, but I've been told by some dealers that the "limited 1 package" which I have includes these features.

At this point, I have a lot of conflicting information and I'm resigned to being stuck with my Furrion backup camera - but I'd really like to know what if any trailer camera functionality I might have.

Again, my apologies if I'm being redundant and this is answered somewhere else on another post/thread
Thanks again for any help!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Does your truck have the 360° surround view camera option?

Do you have the digital rear view mirror?

kamos

Reaction score
Howdy - The truck does have the digital rear view mirror and the 360 surround view camera system as part of the "Limited Level 1 Equipment group", however there is no specific 'trailer tow' package other than the 5th wheel towing prep package

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
With both those packages you should be partially prepped for the additional trailer 360° camera and the single DRVM trailer camera. Not sure about the ‘24’s but the seconds DRVM camera hasn’t been available for the ‘23’s.

Last edited:

kamos

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

hmmm, so you're suggesting that all I need to do is chase down the camera kits, hook them up and I'd be good to go? Given that, where do I look for the camera kits?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure about the 2024’s, but I do know that somewhere around the middle of 2022 production, Ram changed the way they offered the trailer surround feature. From the change forward, the truck only came with the trailer surround soft key if it was specifically ordered with the trailer 360 surround camera system. If it did not have that soft key, it would not be compatible with the trailer surround and it wasn’t something a dealer could install or flash upgrade after the truck was delivered. Perhaps they are still doing it this way on the 24’s?

@Jimmy07 are you able to provide some clarity on this issue? (And confirm what I said above is accurate based on our previous conversations?) Thanks!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure about the 2024’s, but I do know that somewhere around the middle of 2022 production, Ram changed the way they offered the trailer surround feature. From the change forward, the truck only came with the trailer surround soft key if it was specifically ordered with the trailer 360 surround camera system. If it did not have that soft key, it would not be compatible with the trailer surround and it wasn’t something a dealer could install or flash upgrade after the truck was delivered. Perhaps they are still doing it this way on the 24’s?

@Jimmy07 are you able to provide some clarity on this issue? (And confirm what I said above is accurate based on our previous conversations?) Thanks!

I believe the ability to enable the 360° trailer camera can be done on the late 22+ trucks.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
On the main display, there is no trailer surround softkey but there are two Aux camera buttons.
If you have aux 1 and aux 2 camera soft keys, then the truck is not configured for trailer surround view. You are also not complete on the truck side with components for trailer surround view. You would need to add the trailer gateway in the dash behind the start button, and use alfaobd to enable the trailer surround view feature.
hmmm, so you're suggesting that all I need to do is chase down the camera kits, hook them up and I'd be good to go? Given that, where do I look for the camera kits?
Once you do what I mentioned above, THEN you can plug the trailer surround view kit into your 12 way bumper port.
As far as I know, neither of these kits are available to buy separately from ordering a truck that includes them. The trailer surround view kits show up often on here in the classifieds from owners who don’t want them, and on eBay.

Clv22p

Reaction score
I’ve got the camera plug ( the soft key aux 1 and 2) in the back what do I need to make a single camera for the back of the trailer work?

kamos

Reaction score
Howdy Folks - thanks for the discussion and info, very much appreciated!!

@Jimmy07 So it would seem that the 12 pin, even tho is wired up in the bumper and box, is missing some major components to make it work... :( What are your thoughts on the DRVM? I have the DRVM, and here again I have the plug on the bumper that would take the camera kit (if it were available). Do you think I'm missing things for the DRVM to work if I could find the camera kit and hooked it up?

Regarding the trailer surround view - "You would need to add the trailer gateway in the dash behind the start button, and use alfaobd to enable the trailer surround view feature." Where might I obtain the trailer gateway? I'm unfortunately ignorant regarding the "alfaobd" - what is it and how would I use it to enable the trailer surround view?

Sorry to be such high maintenance! I'm moving from a 2013 Ram 3500 to this new 2024 3500 - tons of new features etc. to slueth thru! :)

Thanks again for all the info!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve got the camera plug ( the soft key aux 1 and 2) in the back what do I need to make a single camera for the back of the trailer work?

You can use 1 or 2 analog cameras with the AUX1/AUX2 (non surround) setup. Even with the surround, AUX2 is analog AFAIK.

I believe you still cannot source the RAM 12-pin trailer umbilical, but you CAN buy the Ford cable and modify it. That's what I and several others have done.

The MOPAR factory analog camera image quality is utter sh*t, so you're better off rolling your own.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Howdy Folks - thanks for the discussion and info, very much appreciated!!

@Jimmy07 So it would seem that the 12 pin, even tho is wired up in the bumper and box, is missing some major components to make it work... :( What are your thoughts on the DRVM? I have the DRVM, and here again I have the plug on the bumper that would take the camera kit (if it were available). Do you think I'm missing things for the DRVM to work if I could find the camera kit and hooked it up?

Regarding the trailer surround view - "You would need to add the trailer gateway in the dash behind the start button, and use alfaobd to enable the trailer surround view feature." Where might I obtain the trailer gateway? I'm unfortunately ignorant regarding the "alfaobd" - what is it and how would I use it to enable the trailer surround view?

Sorry to be such high maintenance! I'm moving from a 2013 Ram 3500 to this new 2024 3500 - tons of new features etc. to slueth thru! :)

Thanks again for all the info!

Slucia

Reaction score
Howdy -

So, I'm new to the forum - my apologies if this has been discussed previously. I've done many searches and can't quite get my particular question nailed down.

I've just purchased a Limited 2024 3500. Before doing the deal I asked the dealer to confirm that I would be able to use tow cameras via the rearview mirror and the main display. The response was "the plugs are there in the bumper and box - as soon as you plug in the cameras you'll be good to go"...

I've been searching thru the settings etc. and the digital rear view mirror does not show the trailer view as an option - I'd expect it to say "no camera" but there's just no option. On the main display, there is no trailer surround softkey but there are two Aux camera buttons. When I go to configure them I get a message "wireless cameras not enabled". Which I find even more puzzling as everything I've read to date makes it clear that the rear trailer camera and the surround trailer cameras are "wired" only.

My suspicion is that the plugs being there to not in fact mean I have the functionality. The window sticker does not explicitly call out the tow camera packages, but I've been told by some dealers that the "limited 1 package" which I have includes these features.

At this point, I have a lot of conflicting information and I'm resigned to being stuck with my Furrion backup camera - but I'd really like to know what if any trailer camera functionality I might have.

Again, my apologies if I'm being redundant and this is answered somewhere else on another post/thread
Thanks again for any help!
My 2024 came with its own wireless camera and I have not hooked it up but that’s what that error is (I think)

I have the 360 cameras and when I plug them in, I get the 360 view but thru aux 2 which makes it hard to use it as it’s supposed to work

I have been researching this as well and I finally got the following response from the dealer:

I have reached out to see what options we have available. I have been researching and it does not look like we can add what is needed through the factory. You are correct, in it appears that the truck was not built with what is needed for the camera system to operate.

The only direction that I can point you to on your end would be to contact customer care with ram at 1-866-932-3878.

Good luck!

CortexM0

Reaction score
My 2024 came with its own wireless camera and I have not hooked it up but that’s what that error is (I think)

I have the 360 cameras and when I plug them in, I get the 360 view but thru aux 2 which makes it hard to use it as it’s supposed to work

I have been researching this as well and I finally got the following response from the dealer:

I have reached out to see what options we have available. I have been researching and it does not look like we can add what is needed through the factory. You are correct, in it appears that the truck was not built with what is needed for the camera system to operate.

The only direction that I can point you to on your end would be to contact customer care with ram at 1-866-932-3878.

Good luck!
If your 2024 is like my 2023, there are two things you'll need to get this working as it's supposed to. The first is to enable the "TSVCM Trailer Surround View Camera Module" using AlfaOBD. And the other is a gateway module (if your truck doesn't already have one). On my 2023, the part number I needed was 68509331AB.

More details can be found in this thread:

Users who are viewing this thread