Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ram HD Builds and orders - Post and discuss your TRUCK order here! ** NEW USERS READ POST #1 **

pr3dict

Reaction score
For what it's worth...if your vehicle, or what your towing, is more than 80" wide, they should be there - at least that's what my research has revealed.

Technically the lights are only required on the thing that's 80" or wider. So that would only apply to the vehicle itself. The thing you are towing is supposed to have its own set of lights if it's that wide and has an engine in it.

edit: I added the engine in it part

Last edited:

engweld22

Reaction score
Technically the lights are only required on the thing that's 80" or wider. So that would only apply to the vehicle itself. The thing you are towing is supposed to have its own set of lights if it's that wide.
I personally just like the look of the clearance lights. i have them on my 87 F350 dump body and i've seen them on a '22 3500 a client has and it's just like one of those things that tickles my fancy. So for cheap money, i got them.

pr3dict

Reaction score
I personally just like the look of the clearance lights. i have them on my 87 F350 dump body and i've seen them on a '22 3500 a client has and it's just like one of those things that tickles my fancy. So for cheap money, i got them.
Yeah Im hit or miss with it. On one hand I feel like it makes it look symmetrical and idk complete, on the other hand I like the stealth look without them and no glare on the hood. No real right answer.

Turin

Reaction score
Is there a ball-park average on that spreadsheet you made for each stage? If so....please send me a ling or instructions how to make that spreadsheet.
It's in the table at the top of the post. mean = average, median = middle (half of samples above, half below), mode = most common. Substantial differences between the mean and median indicate that outliers are skewing the average.

The mean values match the peaks of the curves in the "distribution of days in state" chart, and the width of the curve shows much variation there is. Come to think of it — I assumed a normal distribution, which isn't necessarily true. I should figure out how to build a histogram using actuals.

Last edited:

engweld22

Reaction score
so my truck:
Ordered: Dec 7th 2022
29 days
Scheduled: Jan 5th 2023
15 days
Production: Jan 20th 2023
3 days
Built: Jan 23rd 2023
23 days
Shipped: Feb 15th 2023
22 days
Delivered: Mar 9th 2023
1 day and counting
Sale: TBD stop sale for relay recall

93 Days total so far.

rodeoridertaz

Reaction score
Yeah Im hit or miss with it. On one hand I feel like it makes it look symmetrical and idk complete, on the other hand I like the stealth look without them and no glare on the hood. No real right answer.
100% up tou you.... I also got them as another visibility (added safety so some idiot can't say..." they didn't see you")....

rodeoridertaz

Reaction score
Looking at the zero deductible/8 years I am tire kicking instead just putting $5000 into a Roth as a dedicated truck repair fund and investing it in broad index funds for the first years and adjusting the investment choices as it grows or putting a trailing stop loss on it in later years. So it would first sit untouched during the 3 year warranty. The principle then can be drawn anytime, the earnings after 5 years. And it would be tax free. And it is good timing for starting it being in a recession currently. Would that beat the warranty in the long run? Don't know, but if I don't use it all, it's my money and any I don't use would compound over time instead of vanishing at 8 years.
Do they tax the roth at the end or during the deposit?

Dodgeboy041

Reaction score
My order tracker stopped showing Delivery dates anyway to get some info on its location it's shipped

brv10

has the scoop
Reaction score
This is a great approach! Basically self-insured and a very sound way to set it up. In my case, I usually sell the vehicle before the extended warranty is up, say 7 years in to an 8-year warranty. Given the up-front cost of $2500 or so, I figure the value of the warranty in selling the vehicle privately is at least $500-$1000 over a similar private sale vehicle with no warranty. So in that case, you do actually recoup some of the up-front cost. Of course if you keep it past the end date, like you said, the value goes to zero.
Mopar warranties get refunded if not used.

Alligator John

Reaction score
Do they tax the roth at the end or during the deposit?
A Roth IRA is funded after taxes. There are no taxes on earnings or withdrawals. A lot of people don't realize you can withdraw the principle anytime at any age without penalty or taxes which makes a roth great for an emergency fund. For what I am suggesting, this is probably more for us older guys. You can't withdraw the earnings without penalty until 5 years and age 59 1/2 or 50 if your a police/firefighter. There is also an income limit to fund one, but if your above that limit, your probably not too worried about an unexpected repair cost hit hurting your monthly budget. Note I am not a financial advisor, so do your own research in case I am wrong on something.

Turin

Reaction score
Come to think of it — I assumed a normal distribution, which isn't necessarily true. I should figure out how to build a histogram using actuals.
And... it isn't a normal distribution. Silly of me to assume that it was. Happily, Google Sheets has a "Histogram" chart type which makes this easy.

The chart below provides a more accurate visualization. It plots the number of days spent in a state against the number of orders which were in that state for that many days. To keep the chart legible I used a bucket size of five days. For example, that first yellow bar represents all the orders that spent 0-5 days in state E (roughly 75).

1678477380703.png

wjburnell

Reaction score
Technically the lights are only required on the thing that's 80" or wider. So that would only apply to the vehicle itself. The thing you are towing is supposed to have its own set of lights if it's that wide.
Interesting, good to know. I guess my line of thinking came from the fact that my RV is 96" wide with no clearance lights on the front of it (only the back). Therefore, my thought was that I was covered by the fact that my tow vehicle had them (for that purpose). You learn something new all the time. :)

pr3dict

Reaction score
Interesting, good to know. I guess my line of thinking came from the fact that my RV is 96" wide with no clearance lights on the front of it (only the back). Therefore, my thought was that I was covered by the fact that my tow vehicle had them (for that purpose). You learn something new all the time. :)

Thats interesting... What kind of RV do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread