Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'2023 6.4L Power Increase?

ClawSS

Reaction score
For 2023, has anybody heard if there was an increase in power in the 6.4 (given the new hood design) and maybe some compression ratio changes? I may have missed an article somewhere. Kinda like me missing the fact that the Hemi has become a "bargaining chip" when it comes to trim packages in the Crew Cab.

If they change spark/timing + compression to boost it up to 430+ or so, that could cause the 6.4 to only want to drink Premium Fuel...which would suck.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
For 2023, has anybody heard if there was an increase in power in the 6.4 (given the new hood design) and maybe some compression ratio changes? I may have missed an article somewhere. Kinda like me missing the fact that the Hemi has become a "bargaining chip" when it comes to trim packages in the Crew Cab.

If they change spark/timing + compression to boost it up to 430+ or so, that could cause the 6.4 to only want to drink Premium Fuel...which would suck.
Nope, same engine/specs since 2014.

ClawSS

Reaction score
There was a guy at work that mentioned a need for 93 octane on the new 6.4's. I doubted his source and was attempting to verify.

I know we have flip-flopped on the 19's possibly saying 87, then we had a couple of years of 89 mentioned in the owner's manual....my '22 says 87. Who knows. The '23 may flip back to 89 again.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Frickin frackin piece of stupid crap - where in the heck did I think I saw in my OWN manual 89 was specified??!! I had to go check and now I am pissed I've been wasting money on 89 for a freaking year now!

Once again Jimmy's steel trap of a mind is correct... I feel super dumb but my wallet thanks you.....

Lerker

Reaction score
I would never question Jimmy07 given his fame and reputation on this forum, but I am left confused.

If I download the 2020 owners manual, it clearly lists 87 octane. Publishing mistake? But sure as shat, if I go look at the paper version in my truck, it lists 89.

I periodically go back and forth, and have yet to notice any difference in power, milage, or sound. I always just kinda figured the engineers specified 89, the marketing guys heard customers griping about mid-level fuel, and management sided with marketing. But who knows?????

o_O

Jimmy07

Reaction score

Lerker

Reaction score
Yup, no debate that that site's manual lists 89 octane, but mopar.com's manual lists 87. Assume mopar would be the official source? I'm too dumb to be able to link a manual like that haha

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Yup, no debate that that site's manual lists 89 octane, but mopar.com's manual lists 87. Assume mopar would be the official source? I'm too dumb to be able to link a manual like that haha
That’s exactly where I pulled the manual link from.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I'm curious what they changed in the tune from '20 to '21, and how it affected the dyno curve.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
My '19 specifies 89 "for best performance"... so it's 87 around town and 89 when towing.
There is certainly no change in mileage...

ClawSS

Reaction score
But we are all in agreement that the '23 6.4L is not going full supreme unleaded 91-92-93+ octane, right?

Redfour5

Reaction score
I would never question Jimmy07 given his fame and reputation on this forum, but I am left confused.

If I download the 2020 owners manual, it clearly lists 87 octane. Publishing mistake? But sure as shat, if I go look at the paper version in my truck, it lists 89.

I periodically go back and forth, and have yet to notice any difference in power, milage, or sound. I always just kinda figured the engineers specified 89, the marketing guys heard customers griping about mid-level fuel, and management sided with marketing. But who knows?????

o_O
Corporate siding with the marketing pukes over the engineers? I am aghast. But then again, I remember my 2004 Subaru Forester as a tow beast with my 1900 lb pop up camper. Then Subaru hired a marketing guy as CEO. By 2007, and my next (same gen) Forester, they had changed the engine so it would go faster getting on the highway for all the soccer moms but murdered its towing to a degree at the upper end (manual tranny), forcing me to drop 6mph at a lower gear going up the Ike. They changed the wheel to wheel turns on the wheel so responsiveness sucked and softened the ride so I had to get WRX Pinks springs to compensate for the drop and wallow... So, I guess I'm not surprised. I can just see the conversation.... CEO to engineers at FCA... Will it work on 87? Engineers, Well, yes but... CEO - No buts, 87 it is... Passive aggressive engineers leaving 89 in some places like old hard copy books... And DON'T let the bean counters enter the fray or your product is doomed. Oh and the Marketing pukes are still angry they lost the towing argument with the engineers on the SAE J2807 standards... They wanted to tell us we could tow the Empire State Building with the six cylinder...

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Of coarse the below statement does not apply if the recommended gas should be premium. If you look at the posted octane number for any gasoline at the pumps, it can change in certain region's or State's to a lower standard number.

For my generators, Harley and lawn tractor I use only Premium (what ever the octane is). For my gas powered cars/trucks, I use Regular gas (whatever the octane is). If a high milage trip is planned, I'll fill the tank with Premium before the trip and fill the second tank on the trip with Premium. After that I go back to Regular. The Premium helps in keeping the system clean by burning a little hotter with the higher octane. I also like to run an additive that helps in cleaning injectors on those Premium filled tanks.

Toyota has an excellent injector cleaner, that blows away the crap in the auto parts stores. Instructions specify not to leave in the tank, and to fully use the tank of fuel, If I have a quarter of a tank after the trip, I'll refill the tank to dilute the remaining cleaner.

Redfour5

Reaction score
When going into a mountain state, I just can't bring myself to use the "85" stuff... Fortunately, I live in MT and we don't sell that stuff irrespective of the altitude...

jsalbre

Reaction score
Of coarse the below statement does not apply if the recommended gas should be premium. If you look at the posted octane number for any gasoline at the pumps, it can change in certain region's or State's to a lower standard number.

For my generators, Harley and lawn tractor I use only Premium (what ever the octane is). For my gas powered cars/trucks, I use Regular gas (whatever the octane is). If a high milage trip is planned, I'll fill the tank with Premium before the trip and fill the second tank on the trip with Premium. After that I go back to Regular. The Premium helps in keeping the system clean by burning a little hotter with the higher octane. I also like to run an additive that helps in cleaning injectors on those Premium filled tanks.

Toyota has an excellent injector cleaner, that blows away the crap in the auto parts stores. Instructions specify not to leave in the tank, and to fully use the tank of fuel, If I have a quarter of a tank after the trip, I'll refill the tank to dilute the remaining cleaner.
Premium doesn’t burn any “hotter” than regular. Octane is only resistance to pre-ignition.

The most logical reason for the change, without a change in power, is that the engine was already designed to run on regular for this generation but they typoed and put 89 in the initial manuals.

Users who are viewing this thread