Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 3500 Order Guides with MSRP and Invoice Pricing

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
My build MSRP came out to about 86k. I'm going about as full send as feel comfortable with. I'm also hoping to be able to get a 5th wheel RV as soon after s possible as well, so I have to leave some room in the budget for it. And since I want the 5th wheel, 3500 is about the only way to go. Gonna need close to 4k payload for the rolling mansion I want.....

Atteberryrc

Reaction score
My build MSRP came out to about 86k. I'm going about as full send as feel comfortable with. I'm also hoping to be able to get a 5th wheel RV as soon after s possible as well, so I have to leave some room in the budget for it. And since I want the 5th wheel, 3500 is about the only way to go. Gonna need close to 4k payload for the rolling mansion I want.....

I got my current ‘22 2500 Laramie 6.4L to pull a forest river Arctic wolf. The truck pulls it fine but if I ever get anything bigger I’ll want the bigger truck so I’m doing the truck now while I can still get mega cab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
I love the mega cab. Extra storage behind the rear seat and a little bit more wheelbase. I can always get one of those sliding hitches that move as you turn since they only come with the standard bed. And I want the truck I get to be able to pull just about anything with 2 axles, up to roughly 16k GVWR. While I know the gasser will do it, I like the idea of having the diesel exhaust brake too. I want to start really traveling and don't want to have to worry about mountains, especially coming back down them....

Atteberryrc

Reaction score
I love the mega cab. Extra storage behind the rear seat and a little bit more wheelbase. I can always get one of those sliding hitches that move as you turn since they only come with the standard bed. And I want the truck I get to be able to pull just about anything with 2 axles, up to roughly 16k GVWR. While I know the gasser will do it, I like the idea of having the diesel exhaust brake too. I want to start really traveling and don't want to have to worry about mountains, especially coming back down them....

I like how you think. I’m excited for a mega cab. I currently have a short bed and a slider hitch. Works great but I almost never use it.

pr3dict

Reaction score
Megacab all the way. I am scared though as my current lease ends in November. I can only extend it 2 months to January and it doesnt seem like I'll get the truck in time even if I'm first to order.

MajikMD

Reaction score
I'm really bummed to see that all the rumors about a new transmission (instead of the AS69RC) were apparently just rumors :( That was the one thing I was really hoping for....

BigPapaBang

Reaction score
I'm really bummed to see that all the rumors about a new transmission (instead of the AS69RC) were apparently just rumors :( That was the one thing I was really hoping for....
Same here. More likely with the '24 refresh than this '23 update according to other rumors. Was able to wait a couple months from '22 to '23 to order but I definitely can't wait for a '24

Txcharlie

Reaction score
I noticed something odd on the guide. I'm build a 3500 Laramie and there is a option for chrome bumpers. On the Ram build and price page for the 2022, there is an option for painted bumpers. Did they switch to painted as standard and chrome as an option? I wouldn't be surprised as it has to be more expensive to chrome a bumper vs painting it.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
I agree, I was hoping for an upgraded Trans as well. I think 8 or 9 gears would help the Cummins stay in its power band better than the 6 speed, but still not a deal breaker for me. I just hope that the surround view camera systems are still available for the Laramies when actual production rolls around. I also wish the digital rear view cameras were an option for the Laramies, but you can't win them all. And @Txcharlie, looks like painted bumpers are standard on Laramie and up. The last few pages of the build sheet package shows standard options for each trim level.

Atteberryrc

Reaction score
Thoughts on the 6.4 hemi. I have it in my current 2500 with a 9k lb 5th wheel. Have no complaints. I’m planning to up grade to a 14k lb toy hauler. The 3500 mega cab with the 6.4 can tow 16k. Am I going to wish I had the Cummins?

ETX Ram

Reaction score
Thoughts on the 6.4 hemi. I have it in my current 2500 with a 9k lb 5th wheel. Have no complaints. I’m planning to up grade to a 14k lb toy hauler. The 3500 mega cab with the 6.4 can tow 16k. Am I going to wish I had the Cummins?

You might well regret not getting the oil burner when coming off of a mountain unless you have hydraulic disc breaks on your fiver. Even then I'd still want the diesel. I've owned two 2500s with the 6.4 and 68RFEs and can speak from experience. Currently have a 21 2500 with the 6.7 SO and wound up with a bigger 5th wheel than originally planned so I'm looking at a 3500 build.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score

This is just my opinion of course,

we have a 38ft montana fifth wheel, and then pull a 20ft walleye boat behind that so we come in around 18,000lbs and change for that particular rig, as well have a 40ft gooseneck that we use for the welding business but it also hauls equipment at times and it weighs in close to 22-24,000lbs. The last 3-4 years we've been pulling that with a 07 ram 3500 dually 5.9 w/ G56 and well, yep that truck was out classed, and you had to really be on youre game when pulling hills or decending. Previously we were running a 15 ram limited dually which to date has been my most favorite truck of all time that thing was a beast.

after so many years of hauling what i would consider moderately heavy loads for camping and the business for ME id never be without a dually in my scenerio. Having said that iam a 100% advocate for being overkill to a minor extent. I feel having too much truck when towing longer/heavier fifth wheels or even goosenecks to provide an extra safety factor is smart. Again not to bash the 6.4, but ram saying itll haul 16,000LBS is fine and dandy but i seriously feel thats a real world on a perfectly flat road with no head wind lol. Another thing you should be seriously paying attention to is payloads. On a 14,000LB camper which is about where our montana sits at 14,600LBS GVWR we have a pin weight of about 3600lbs. So youre seriously going to suck up the capability of a SRW 3500 real quick. Which on a side bar makes no sense to me, why these manufacturers say a SRW 3500 can haul 20,000lbs when it most certainly cant handle the pin weight 20,000lbs brings with it. I seriously researched moving to a 2022 srw 3500 for our camping needs but in no scenerio would it fit for our montana/boat combo payload wise unless i opted for a reg cab work truck long box lol. It is seriously sad how little payload a well apointed laramie 3500 srw has. So i scraped that idea, and decided to order a 5500 laramie to facilitate as our new welding rig and family vehicle for hauling camper etc, and frankly to give myself peace of mine to never have to worry myself with payload numbers again.

anyway again just my opinion 14,000 and up should absolutely be dually territory all day. From a payload reserve, overall stability, and towing performance perspective. But even at 14,000lbs with a dually and correct pin weight on the trailer youre still only going to have MAX 2000lbs reserve left for fuel, passengers, toolbox, fifth wheel hitch etc You would be shocked to see how quickly it disappears. In canada anyway, if your overloaded and get into an accident you have zero insurance.

As far as the cummins goes, frankly i think you would be seriously disappointed with not going with a cummins versus a 6.4. the towing comparison is not even in the same universe. Again just my opinion, but for a more efficient, safe, reliable tow. Id set that mark at 10,000LB and up would be cummins all day.

pr3dict

Reaction score
This is just my opinion of course,

we have a 38ft montana fifth wheel, and then pull a 20ft walleye boat behind that so we come in around 18,000lbs and change for that particular rig, as well have a 40ft gooseneck that we use for the welding business but it also hauls equipment at times and it weighs in close to 22-24,000lbs. The last 3-4 years we've been pulling that with a 07 ram 3500 dually 5.9 w/ G56 and well, yep that truck was out classed, and you had to really be on youre game when pulling hills or decending. Previously we were running a 15 ram limited dually which to date has been my most favorite truck of all time that thing was a beast.

after so many years of hauling what i would consider moderately heavy loads for camping and the business for ME id never be without a dually in my scenerio. Having said that iam a 100% advocate for being overkill to a minor extent. I feel having too much truck when towing longer/heavier fifth wheels or even goosenecks to provide an extra safety factor is smart. Again not to bash the 6.4, but ram saying itll haul 16,000LBS is fine and dandy but i seriously feel thats a real world on a perfectly flat road with no head wind lol. Another thing you should be seriously paying attention to is payloads. On a 14,000LB camper which is about where our montana sits at 14,600LBS GVWR we have a pin weight of about 3600lbs. So youre seriously going to suck up the capability of a SRW 3500 real quick. Which on a side bar makes no sense to me, why these manufacturers say a SRW 3500 can haul 20,000lbs when it most certainly cant handle the pin weight 20,000lbs brings with it. I seriously researched moving to a 2022 srw 3500 for our camping needs but in no scenerio would it fit for our montana/boat combo payload wise unless i opted for a reg cab work truck long box lol. It is seriously sad how little payload a well apointed laramie 3500 srw has. So i scraped that idea, and decided to order a 5500 laramie to facilitate as our new welding rig and family vehicle for hauling camper etc, and frankly to give myself peace of mine to never have to worry myself with payload numbers again.

anyway again just my opinion 14,000 and up should absolutely be dually territory all day. From a payload reserve, overall stability, and towing performance perspective. But even at 14,000lbs with a dually and correct pin weight on the trailer youre still only going to have MAX 2000lbs reserve left for fuel, passengers, toolbox, fifth wheel hitch etc You would be shocked to see how quickly it disappears. In canada anyway, if your overloaded and get into an accident you have zero insurance.

As far as the cummins goes, frankly i think you would be seriously disappointed with not going with a cummins versus a 6.4. the towing comparison is not even in the same universe. Again just my opinion, but for a more efficient, safe, reliable tow. Id set that mark at 10,000LB and up would be cummins all da

I think typically the 3500 SRW cargo capacity is typically in the 3000-4000 range depending on configuration. A pin weight of 3600 on any configuration is too much for a SRW, or atleast definitely close where you can't have any cargo, including the hitch....

To generalize that anything over 14k lbs is too much is not a great way to look at it. I'd argue there is no way to cut corners in figuring out the right match between trailer and truck. All parameters must be taken into account, which is why we are given all of them.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
A 3500 Mega Cab SRW usually ends up with 3800-4000 lbs of payload, maybe a little less with the HO engine. If you hold close to the 20% rule for pin weight, 16k puts you at around 3200 lbs pin weight. Granted that's close to the max, but enough for a few passengers. And for the record, the test for the rings are done in worst case scenarios. There's one towing test up a specific mountain pass that can't be run unless the outside ambient temp is over 100 degrees.

Would you regret not having the diesel, maybe not if you haven't driven one. The gas will do it, just not as well as the diesel. I want the diesel myself as much for the ability of the it to slow the rig down as getting it going.

Ctate

Reaction score
I agree with you guys about the trans. Im ready for a new truck for 23 and am not brand loyal. I just buy the truck I like best and I'm leaning towards a f350 for 23. It's been a ram the past three trucks I've owned. The new incoming cab and other refreshes on the Superduty will be nice. Only thing I'll miss from the ram is the tire fill alert. Love that, but once ram decides to upgraded their transmission, I'll look at it again.

Mikerob14

Reaction score
Here is a pretty good break down of weights I’ve found for the MY 22. I’ve towed a lot and most of that has been DRW. Most of that is 12,000 boats and other equipment associated. I am currently waiting on 23 orders to open up. We will be buying a 5th wheel camper soon and the reason I’m going with a 3500 over a 2500 is payload. After reading the above I’m getting uneasy about a SRW but I won’t be towing that often or that long of a distance. I now lean on the experience of y’all above and ask this, would 6 passengers plus pin weight and some random tools be too much for a SRW 3500? Payload with HO on a RamBox Mega SRW is 3970 and on a HO standard box Mega SRW it’s 4130. 6 passengers at 180 lbs each is 1080. That leaves 2890 for payload left in the truck. How heavy are the pins and hitches y’all are dealing with?

Attachments

• Ram_HD_D2 4x4 Weight & Tow_MY22.pdf
    197.2 KB · Views: 23

pr3dict

Reaction score
Here is a pretty good break down of weights I’ve found for the MY 22. I’ve towed a lot and most of that has been DRW. Most of that is 12,000 boats and other equipment associated. I am currently waiting on 23 orders to open up. We will be buying a 5th wheel camper soon and the reason I’m going with a 3500 over a 2500 is payload. After reading the above I’m getting uneasy about a SRW but I won’t be towing that often or that long of a distance. I now lean on the experience of y’all above and ask this, would 6 passengers plus pin weight and some random tools be too much for a SRW 3500? Payload with HO on a RamBox Mega SRW is 3970 and on a HO standard box Mega SRW it’s 4130. 6 passengers at 180 lbs each is 1080. That leaves 2890 for payload left in the truck. How heavy are the pins and hitches y’all are dealing with?

3 things.

#1 figure out what trailer you want first. Then back into a truck that can pull what you're looking for.

#2 those tow numbers on the spreadsheets like that are all guesswork. Every truck is different. I'd buying off the lot look at the door sticker to find out what's listed based on the configuration and options if they truck... If you are building and can't see the truck then ask someone with a similar configuration to let you know what their sticker says. For instance I guarantee a limited with all the options will be significantly less payload then 3900-4100 listed above.

#3 - hitches are like 150-200lbs. 1100 lbs of payload in just people is a lot. But regardless add it all up plus your tongue weight of the trailer you want and match it with a truck.

Fred_Cage

Reaction score
@Mikerob14, A good way to get an idea of what the payload would be on the truck you want is to find a similar one for sale and put the vin # into Rams payload/ towing site https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing/towing-guide.html#/landing/bytowing. It will tell you the stats for that truck as it left the factory. Like @pr3said, find the trailer you like and match it to a truck that fits your needs. Use about 22% of the trailers GVWR to figure the pin weight of the trailer and add it to the load you would have in the truck. From the sounds of it you will probably need a DRW. Also, I don't think you can do the rambox with 5th wheel. The rambox may make the bed too narrow. I know that the build configuration won't let you get the 5th wheel prep pkg and rambox together.

Pressure_welder

Reaction score
Pin weight certainly varies with what youre towing for sure. But "advertised pin weight" on campers is generally always dry weight so never go by that, you always want to go by your GVWR when calculating your pin, as was stated above, generally your looking at 22 to 25% of overall weight. About the only true method is to get to the scale. For example for a toy hauler or even a mid size camper in that 35-37ft range you would be minimum 14,000lbs GVWR likely higher. Our montana is just over 14,000lbs and were sitting at 3600lbs and change pin weight, so were closer to that 25%. Even if were being incredibly generous and you hit 3000lbs pin for a moderate size camper which is low.... based on your best case scnerio mega cab numbers of 4130lbs youll have 1130lbs to play with for people, tools, fuel, hitch. Which is really not alot of remaining payload youll suck that up in no time. and id put money on that being a low trim level mega cab. As soon as you get into laramies or limiteds that seems to remove 500lbs payload immediately.... somehow.

I feel for you sir! as i can relate to this problem 100%. In May i researched truck configurations until i was blue in the face which all related to payload numbers. I had thought going to a SRW might be nice for a change as a daily driver as ive driven duallies for the last 14 years. As hard as i tried and all the numbers i crunched i couldnt make it work for my scenerio i was always coming up short, or trying to convince myself to buy a smaller camper, or convince myself i didnt need to carry this or that to make the numbers JUST come within spec of legality. Until one morning over coffee i was calculating again.... and told myself this is completely stupid what am i doing. So i called my dealer and by the next morning i had put in my order for my 5500, and it was like a massive weight "no pun intended" was lifted off my shoulders. Because now i DO NOT care about pin weights or payload, or numbers any longer, while not "massive" i do have a fairly good weight/safety buffer. For example ill have a 4000lb fully outfitted welding bed on the truck, and 3600lbs of pin weight for the camper... that leaves me about 3300lbs of payload remaining for fuel, people, hitch etc which then would likely have me around 2300lbs remaining. Seems like alot? yes. But i am also an advocate for having that safety buffer.

To me your in a perfect scenerio at the moment.... i see so many people at the lake buy the carriage before the horse, they show up with their brand new 38ft rig and the bumper of there 3/4 ton or 1 ton srw scraping the ground figuring that the truck pulled it so well. When in reality their rear axle, tires, and overloads are screaming. More often than not they head home and buy a dually as there so incredibly overloaded but they just dont realize. The camper dealers sure dont care to share that information!

So again just my opinion, but if youre buying a truck before a camper/trailer buy a bit overkill for what you need. Because even a dually in moderate size camper world is not exactly going to have an excess of payload remaining especially if you buy higher trim levels. Also! please for the love of god dont get into the mindset of
" i dont pull very far or very often " i mean sure if youre pulling to a seasonal once a year then fine. But if your on the hwy often then give yourself a peace of mind with a truck that is overly capable. Alot of people are afraid of duallies as a daily driver but really there simple.

pr3dict

Reaction score
based on your best case scnerio mega cab numbers of 4130lbs youll have 1130lbs to play with for people, tools, fuel, hitch.

Ive always been under the impression that CCC of a truck includes a full tank of fuel in the calculations...

Users who are viewing this thread