Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram HD Builds and orders - Post and discuss your TRUCK order here! ** NEW USERS READ POST #1 **

johnsontoddr

Reaction score
Gearing does nothing for payload, two unrelated things. It does allow for a higher tow rating though, assuming you don't first run out of payload.
Then it sounds like my hypothesis is wrong. I have been comparing VINs and finding that very mega cabs with similar trim have max payloads from around 4000 pounds to just over 5000 and other than the 4.10 I cannot see a consistent difference that would account for the difference in max payloads. I've asked Sandi at Mark Dodge about this... hopefully she can help.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Can you post VINs of two trucks where you're seeing a big disparity?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
That payload would work for us. We would like Laramie Level B and the sunroof (not my idea, but I've got to keep the wife and kids happy). From what I've seen by comparing payloads, I'm guessing that the 4.10 ratio adds about a 1,000 pounds of payload. Why did you decide to go with the HO? I'm still debating that one. It does add to max towing, but doesn't seem to affect max payload.

Our current 5th wheel toy hauler is 36 ft and 14k gvwr... we use every bit of that 14k when loaded down.

We plan to upgrade to a 44' unit with a gvwr of over 17k lbs so i wanted the most effortless towing experience possible. 430hp/1075 lb/ft from the factory made it an easy choice.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Yeah, if you are planning to tow near the max limit of the HEMI them you might want to jump to the Cummins. SO or HO.

johnsontoddr

Reaction score
Can you post VINs of two trucks where you're seeing a big disparity?
I test drove this one yesterday: 3C63RRNL4MG617369 Detailed specs on ramtrucks.com new inventory search shows Max Payload of 3,990 pounds. Look up my vehicle shows 5,168 pounds. I could not find the sticker on this vehicle--must have been looking in the wrong place, because it should be there. All I found was the axle rating sticker.

Here is the second VIN: 3C63RRNL3MG647253 Detailed specs says 5,520 pounds. Look up my vehicle says 5,340 pounds.

I've compared dozens of VINs now looking for differences in config that might account for the 4K vs. 5K max payload. Only the 4.10 seems to consistently predict the difference on the ramtrucks specs. I'm not sure whether to believe Look up my vehicle, even after the lawsuit.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Look up my vehicle is accurate. It matches my sticker perfectly.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
I test drove this one yesterday: 3C63RRNL4MG617369 Detailed specs on ramtrucks.com new inventory search shows Max Payload of 3,990 pounds. Look up my vehicle shows 5,168 pounds. I could not find the sticker on this vehicle--must have been looking in the wrong place, because it should be there. All I found was the axle rating sticker.

Here is the second VIN: 3C63RRNL3MG647253 Detailed specs says 5,520 pounds. Look up my vehicle says 5,340 pounds.

I've compared dozens of VINs now looking for differences in config that might account for the 4K vs. 5K max payload. Only the 4.10 seems to consistently predict the difference on the ramtrucks specs. I'm not sure whether to believe Look up my vehicle, even after the lawsuit.
One is the HO Cummins with 14k GVWR.

Build sheets attached.

Attachments

• BuildSheetServlet (4) (4).pdf
    11.4 KB · Views: 37
  • BuildSheetServlet (4) (5).pdf
    11.3 KB · Views: 19

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
FYI - In case you need to lookup the full build sheet for a VIN.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score

Like said before, the look up my vehicle numbers are correct. Payload = GVWR minus the base vehicle weight plus full fluid as the vehicle rolled off the line. Nothing else is involved in determining the payload number on the sticker. Both of those trucks have GVWR of 14,000 lbs. The first truck is built with 172 more pounds of “options” than the second truck.

johnsontoddr

Reaction score
One is the HO Cummins with 14k GVWR.

Build sheets attached.
Yes, and that is the vehicle showing 3,990 pounds max payload. But other vehicles with the HO show over 5,000. The second vehicle has the air suspension. Not sure if that affects max payload or not. It is odd that Ram makes it so difficult to get a solid number prior to ordering.

johnsontoddr

Reaction score
Like said before, the look up my vehicle numbers are correct. Payload = GVWR minus the base vehicle weight plus full fluid as the vehicle rolled off the line. Nothing else is involved in determining the payload number on the sticker. Both of those trucks have GVWR of 14,000 lbs. The first truck is built with 172 more pounds of “options” than the second truck.
Detailed specs shows GVWR of 11,400 pounds for both trucks. Curb weight on the first is 8,409 and the second is 7,533. Subtracking curb weight from the stated GVWR doesn't match any of the reported numbers. THe difference in curb weights between the two also seems to have no relationship to the differences in max payload shown in the detailed specs or look up my vehicle. It may be that the Detailed specs numbers are just plain wrong and the Look up my vehicle numbers are correct. I'm just a bit (ok, a lot) concerned about ordering when I can't be sure of the max payload.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Detailed specs shows GVWR of 11,400 pounds for both trucks. Curb weight on the first is 8,409 and the second is 7,533. Subtracking curb weight from the stated GVWR doesn't match any of the reported numbers. THe difference in curb weights between the two also seems to have no relationship to the differences in max payload shown in the detailed specs or look up my vehicle. It may be that the Detailed specs numbers are just plain wrong and the Look up my vehicle numbers are correct. I'm just a bit (ok, a lot) concerned about ordering when I can't be sure of the max payload.
This is starting to become an Abbott and Costello routine lol. The two VIN numbers you posted are of 2021 mega cab DRW trucks with GVWRs of 14,000 lbs (check the build sheets under optional equipment). NO ram truck is going to weigh 10,000+ lbs rolling off the build line. Payload = GVWR minus curb vehicle weight. A DRW Ram typically weighs between ~8-9000 lbs. ANY payload number for a DRW ram is going to be 5000+ lbs.
Check into this thread- https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/please-post-payload-sticker-from-drivers-door-jamb.218/

Last edited:

johnsontoddr

Reaction score
This is starting to become an Abbott and Costello routine lol. The two VIN numbers you posted are of 2021 mega cab DRW trucks with GVWRs of 14,000 lbs (check the build sheets under optional equipment). NO ram truck is going to weigh 10,000+ lbs rolling off the build line. Payload = GVWR minus base vehicle weight. A DRW Ram typically weighs between ~8-9000 lbs. ANY payload number for a DRW ram is going to be 5000+ lbs.
Check into this thread- https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/please-post-payload-sticker-from-drivers-door-jamb.218/
LOL. It certainly feels like an Abbott and Costello routine. Unsure why the numbers are so far off on the detailed Specs.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

They are not 11,400 trucks if they are dually's... which they are.

They are 14k GVWR trucks and both have payloads well over 5000 lbs.

Reaction score
Anyone pre order from a dealer on the east coast yet, Florida north? Having no luck locally or even in surrounding states. I'm either being told they can't/won't order a '22 yet or they are only doing it for MSRP. Can't even find a Ram dealer near me that does the Costco program either.

I've done trips further than Mark Dodge a handful of times in the past couple years for work. But if there is anything closer, any savings could end up being a wash when it comes to adding up a flight and wages lost from work.
Ordered one in Florida. Lakeland CDJR

johnsontoddr

Reaction score
They are not 11,400 trucks if they are dually's... which they are.

They are 14k GVWR trucks and both have payloads well over 5000 lbs.
Your exact match between Look up my vehicle and your sticker indicates that the Detailed Specs listing is off. Perhaps they are assuming SRW instead of DRW. I found a mega cab locally showing 3,990 in detailed specs and over 5000 on look up my... I called and have asked the dealer to confirm based on the sticker. From the Post Your Payload sticker thread above, it also looks like the specs may just be based on SRW.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Your exact match between Look up my vehicle and your sticker indicates that the Detailed Specs listing is off. Perhaps they are assuming SRW instead of DRW. I found a mega cab locally showing 3,990 in detailed specs and over 5000 on look up my... I called and have asked the dealer to confirm based on the sticker. From the Post Your Payload sticker thread above, it also looks like the specs may just be based on SRW.

Do what? I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the build sheets and payload.

johnsontoddr

Reaction score
Do what? I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the build sheets and payload.
To see if the door sticker matches the Detailed Specs or the Look up my vehicle payload. I don't see any weights on the build sheets. If I am misunderstanding them or the payload, please explain.

DougB

Reaction score
Strange. That does look like it’s 1% under invoice. That EP number has been roughly what we’ve been getting.
I pinged Sandi and she corrected my discount 11.5% under MSRP.

MSRP $81.2k
Price $71.8k (about $500 below EP)

She explained why they request the non-refundable deposit because if they don’t deliver sold orders quickly as expected they get dinged and too many dings results in restrictions or halts on custom orders.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
To see if the door sticker matches the Detailed Specs or the Look up my vehicle payload. I don't see any weights on the build sheets. If I am misunderstanding them or the payload, please explain.

Dually trucks are 14k GVWR. Payload is equal to the vehicle's GVWR minus the weight of the truck. Nothing more, nothing less. No build sheets, no "detailed specs", no spec guides, forget all of that nonsense.,

When talking payload all you need to know is the trucks GVWR and its weight. That's it. The 2 trucks you posted are dually's which have a known 14k GVWR from Ram. You can then take their "look up my vehicle" payload info and figure out the curb weight.

Using my truck as an example, 14,000 lbs GVWR-(minus) 5284 lbs payload = 8716 lbs vehicle weight.

Users who are viewing this thread