Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram HD Builds and orders - Post and discuss your TRUCK order here! ** NEW USERS READ POST #1 **

MrTaz

Reaction score
I like the look of painted better, but I’ve had painted ones on my 2015 limited since new, and it has been a PAIN to keep them looking decent. Front bumper has been wrapped 3X and repainted once, rear has been repainted once and wrapped once. Even now there’s some stuff that’s gotten through the PPF and scratched the front bumper and I can see some rust starting again. Drives me crazy. Chrome ones coming on mine…
I see you have seen the light. I had problems keeping paint on my Hellcat front bumper. That was enough for me. I had to take the Hellcat on the interstate because it was the only place I could open it up. I paid the price in paint though.

ABigBearRam

Reaction score
What did you do for a leveling kit and what size tires?

Just a leveling spacer in the front to clear the 35” tires until I get home to California and have either a Carli or Thuren springs installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owdiss78

Reaction score
Good things come to those who wait.

And before the mirror comments start I have always run with the moose ears out beginning with my very first 2003 3500 Dually………. I’ve heard all the ghost trailer comments and I really don’t care how they look when they are out, you can just plain see better with them up and that’s all that matters to me!

I like the mirrors up also besides you see better I like them in parking lots I found people park farther away from my expensive trucks That I don’t like people next too!!!! And when some one else starts paying for it I will also do as I want

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
Man, same here! I priced a BH and Laramie and felt the Laramie was the way to go. When NE was no longer available, the wife gave me the thumbs up to explore Limited. I asked her what she thought about the all black Limited I had built, she said it just didn’t suit me, and that “black out” is just a fad (still not sure about that). I put together a LH and she said that “looks like a Texas truck that compliments your character”, so I went with that. I don’t think she’ll end up trying to drive it though, she hates duallies, and says my current Mega Cab is too big.

I appreciate you sharing pics, it is a beautiful truck and reminds me why I’m waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had a similar situation. We ended up going with the Megacab Limited 3500 SRW after the Laramie Night Edition wasn't available.

Rockman

Reaction score
That's a lot of work just to keep a fob in the truck, I don't trust the app very much and it would be easier to clone the fob signal.
If I can’t find this with alpha my plan is to open the horn circuit with aux 1 switch and a relay. If I need to use my horn I can turn aux one on.. will also wire normally closed so that when truck is off the horn will work with lock and panic features.

Thebuilderman

Reaction score
Thanks! Old fart. I kinda knew that. I just never saw that color and didn’t know it came on a 2500 diesel. I thought that was what they called olive green but it’s metallic so I’m wondering. I thought the olive green was on the Power Wagon and it was a flat color.
I just checked that color. Couldn’t find it anymore. I just didn’t know they offered it. It was curiosity on my part.

Last edited:

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Thanks! Old fart. I kinda knew that. I just never saw that color and didn’t know it came on a 2500 diesel. I thought that was what they called olive green but it’s metallic so I’m wondering. I thought the olive green was on the Power Wagon and it was a flat color.
I just checked that color. Couldn’t find it anymore. I just didn’t know they offered it. It was curiosity on my part.
They did have it available, but at some point discontinued it. Bummer too, I wanted it on mine.

Coonhound

Reaction score
That Olive Green looks pretty good. Sometimes it's hard to picture these colors until you see them in person or at least a good quality photo. The royal blue looks way better than I imagined it would. I'd love to have a black truck but that wouldn't work very well as a work truck and occasional off road vehicle.
I really wanted the low volume orange color but it wasn't available at the time. Call me crazy but with dark tinted windows, a lot of chrome and polished aluminum wheels, that orange would look sharp.

CJM

Reaction score
Can you powder coat over Chrome? I thought it would bot stick.

No, it’s gotta be stripped or sandblasted first so the coating will stick.

Of course you can powder coat over chrome!

As long as it is a good quality chrome and it is not peeling it can be coated. Chrome just has to sand blasted to
etch the surface. The only chrome items that are not worth powder coating is chrome wheels that have the finish
peeling and the cheap aluminum running boards that have the cheap chrome plating.

Scubaz66

Reaction score
Everyone seems to be worried about their trucks and how the paint/chrome is going to hold up. We all regret that first paint chip, parking lot ding or scratch from a bush or tree limb including me! The fact is these trucks are going to deteriorate in the environment regardless of how well we take care of them. No amount of PPF, Ceramic coating, tons of polish/wax and wraps are going to resist the environment. I believe you should purchase what you feel is "Candy to Your Eyes" as this is what is going to put that big smile on your face while driving. Don't get me wrong, if you have the money to add PPF or want to Ceramic coat your truck go for it, but don't expect it to last for years. I myself personally purchased a truck Sport Appearance package because painted bumpers and black wheels is what's in today, therefore I would expect to be able to resale at a better value in today's market. Then again, I don't need to keep up with the Jone's and will probably keep this truck, Lord willing, for 15-20 years. My 2004 Avalanche is still in awesome shape inside and out because I take care of my vehicles.

briggDD

Reaction score
Painted bumpers are fairly easy to address if you are worried about chips. My 2020 3500 truck was purchased out of state and the chips drove me nuts on my 2013 3500 so I knew it was going to be an issue. I purchased temporary PPF off of Amazon, took it with me on the flight to pick up the truck, the wife and I installed it in a parking lot (looked bad but served it’s purpose) and drove 1200 miles home. Once I was home I had a local PPF shop install PPF on the bumper, he said it’s the first time he had seen a painted bumper with no chips. I will do the same on my 2022.

Users who are viewing this thread