Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Ram HD Builds and orders - Post and discuss your TRUCK order here! ** NEW USERS READ POST #1 **

UhOH

Reaction score
I was reading an interview with the head of stellantis. They were asking about the impact to production with all the chip issues. They said something to the effect of “we’re going to build the higher profit vehicles first”. So…guessing after tradesman the limited megacab is the next highest profit?
Building as many of the ”high chip count” units as they can upfront makes business sense to me, but taking sequence number into account. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to that.

KnightStream

Reaction score
Dang less than 2 months from order to deliver. That’s nuts.
Mine may be the “tinker-toy” version of what I’m seeing y’all order, though. Apart from the snow chief & spray-in bedliner, I think the only things special are the 4.10 and uconnect 5.

James_setz2784

Reaction score
I was reading an interview with the head of stellantis. They were asking about the impact to production with all the chip issues. They said something to the effect of “we’re going to build the higher profit vehicles first”. So…guessing after tradesman the limited megacab is the next highest profit?
You have a link to the article by chance?

Surf2snow1

Reaction score
You have a link to the article by chance?
I was trying to find that to get the exact quote…. But found this one:

This isn’t a quote though and it refers to models only: This means Stellantis is currently prioritising its highest profit models to maximise revenue over its low-volume, small profit vehicles, potentially having to sacrifice stock of certain equipment to benefit the wider business.

edit: found the one: https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/tavares-says-chip-shortage-will-easily-drag-2022
“Tavares said Stellantis will continue to prioritize its highest-profit models with the chips it is receiving, echoing an approach taken by rivals.”

Tyadcock

Reaction score
Just got off the Ram Chat. My 2022 Limited Mega Cab night edition (with sunroof) is in the "Paint" stage. That's seems much further along than I've seen others on this thread.

In a perfect world, how long until it's actually finished? Lol. I'm thinking may

Just got off the Ram Chat. My 2022 Limited Mega Cab night edition (with sunroof) is in the "Paint" stage. That's seems much further along than I've seen others on this thread.

In a perfect world, how long until it's actually finished? Lol. I'm thinking maybe November. Maybe sooner?
Did you get the cummins or the hemi?

Burnandearn

Reaction score
Yay!!!
My 2022 Ram 2500 Tradesman Reg cab is AT THE DEALERSHIP!
After their safety inspection & installation of the running boards, I’ll pick it up on Tuesday!
Sweet! Post some pics when you get it. I was hoping mine would’ve been here or atleast shipped. Was built 8/9 and after final inspection it’s been sitting in js status for a month with no ship date. 3500 tradesman cclb ho Cummins.

Tyadcock

Reaction score
Anyone order a Limited hemi and out of D status yet? Almost worth the extra 10k just to get the truck faster isn't it? Lol.

Tyadcock

Reaction score
Response from stelantas concerning my power wagon order second week of October... so delivery first week in November
14ec3daad97f44fe889153f1821be438.jpg

What are they under on Facebook to find them to send a message? Your picture is blocking it. Is it stelantas? Stelantes north america?..

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Anyone order a Limited hemi and out of D status yet? Almost worth the extra 10k just to get the truck faster isn't it? Lol.
Nope. Still getting Ram's big D. According to the tracker, I don't think any Laramie or higher trims with gas engines have moved past D.

Kubotafreak

Reaction score

So are we assuming "higher profit vehicles" is a maxed out limited, or a base tradesman. From my take they make more selling two trucks with semiconductors to spare than one over the top limited(given current climate). They appear to be trimming the fat already with packages going from 1, 2 to B, C. I think they are still trying to hold firm to limited models specifically because the culture of people buying them wont if they don't get the features that have been around for the past ten years for a 90k vehicle.

I realize that you could have more than one module could have multiple chips in a module but the vast majority of what is it a vehicle is dumb meaning there is no real computing going on just sending voltage here or there or giving a ground connection. Short of what is on the bus network it’s a voltage or resistance reading that is monitored by one of the smart modules like a pcm or tcm. Call me ignorant but a microchip is the cpu. the rest is just a circuit board to carry the voltage or supply grounds and create resistance to achieve a voltage. Don’t really see why you would have as many as some of these claims. Ev having substantially more I understand. I’d like to know why there would be more than one microchip short of what’s needed in the few modules that hold a small memory and actually do any computing. If you can explain im more than happy to hear the explanation.

We can call them modules, chips, little black boxes, whatever we are all referencing semiconductors. Few are consumer brand specific. They are represented as a cpu, but are still small building blocks for a larger unit. They range as you are describing from a 12 function device on that mirror board to a still small(relatively) multi core on your cell phone. The market shifted with everyone buying computers and not vehicles. I have read where some of the big three are trying to move away from some figment of JUST IN TIME by ordering more chips then they need(think toilet paper). The issue is you cant quantify a module as just having one chip. That board with the small components is the cheap way to construct a custom mirror quickly, and for less cost. You could buy a single chip to do all that computing, and simplify the layout at a much higher cost and waste of function. Newer vehicles utilize a differing style of communication topology, where the smaller sub components do reach back to a more logical unit. This is vastly different than a car from the 90's. Mercedes have fiber optic cables running all through the cab. The big issue was JUST IN TIME manufacturing got caught with its pants down and the market wont wait for you to figure your crap out. Everyone still buying got orders in. Chips are part of everything now. Even a phone charge cable has a small processor in the cable end. Manufacturing isn't really ready yet for the electric car. They need so much of the raw materials currently available. Just guessing here, you could probably make an order of ten regular gas vehicles compared to one electric car. These materials are much more finite than any Fossil fuel. No one seems to want to address that issue...

Last edited:

Canman89

Reaction score
Still not sure that’s the case. I honestly think they have a monkey that pulls from a hat every day. I have a 3500 limited level 1 mega on order since May 10th and my estimated production week is the week of November 15th.

blackshoesblackhat

Reaction score

In a perfect world, how long until it's actually finished? Lol. I'm thinking maybe November. Maybe sooner?
What trim level? Big Horn, Laramie....

Steelman2500

Reaction score
Other good news here to put a lot of your questions on delays to rest. My build has the BSM, Ramboxes, adaptive cruise, level one package. Basically every tech central component and it’s officially on the assembly line. Hopefully no delays during assembly. Hopefully this puts some of your fears to bed.

I’m beyond excited to get updates for my new beast!! Hopefully soon all of yours will begin to populate

Users who are viewing this thread