Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 ram 3500 EOH brake issue/hot wire issue

Korey killian

Reaction score
Good morning guys.
I’m stumped now

Got a 2022 ram 3500 i use it to hot shot.

I had a 40 foot big Tex that worked decent with the brakes.

Now a 44ft diamond c with eoh

Everything on all the trailers i tow have worked.
Trailer brakes trailer lights all the signals
including all the generators that i tow

Now i have a brand new trailer with EOH disc brake

So what I’ve checked and came to conclusion
The fuses f30 i switched for another 30 amp
All the other fuses that have trl i checked.

In screen i changed to eoh heavy

Now I’m getting 6.5 volts on the hot at the bumper plug
9.5 volts at the bed plug. (Which i know is the issue) hooked up a 2014 jeep Cherokee and was able to get my trailer pump to turn on (hot wire is at 13.6 volts) integrated brake control also.

Now the volts gain from bumper to bed is confusing me.

I have an appointment with my dealer tech Tuesday but he doesn’t seem to thrilled to search for a short.

Has any one had this similar issue what was your fix?
I will be putting the truck on a lift this afternoon to get a better look at the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CdnHO

Reaction score
What brand is the brake pump? I have Dexter on fifth wheel and no issues.

PrescottNorm

Reaction score
What brand is the brake pump? I have Dexter on fifth wheel and no issues.
Dexter Brakerite EHB Actuator, had to install the adapter for low speed braking 0 - 25 mph with Ram OEM brake controller

CdnHO

Reaction score
Dexter Brakerite EHB Actuator, had to install the adapter for low speed braking 0 - 25 mph with Ram OEM brake controller
My pump is a Dexter EH-1600 so that might be why I don't seem to have any issues. Your link appears the adaptor is for Ford and GM vehicles. Doesn't mention Ram. However the OP mentioned a voltage difference when measured at the bed plug and bumper plug which makes no sense. Since it is a new truck, corrosion is unlikely. OP does your truck indicate a trailer is connected?

Last edited:

PrescottNorm

Reaction score
I purchased my 5th Wheel disc brake system from Performance Trailer Braking in Norman, OK. Yes, adapter states Ford/GM, but Performance stating it would solve my issue with newer RAM OEM controller, which it did.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I purchased my 5th Wheel disc brake system from Performance Trailer Braking in Norman, OK. Yes, adapter states Ford/GM, but Performance stating it would solve my issue with newer RAM OEM controller, which it did.
So you had no brakes at low speeds only? Are you set at "Heavy over Hydraulic"? Were brakes OK at higher speeds? Crazy trucks have too many computers now. LOL

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
FYI, You won't likely measure full power at low speeds as the voltage applied is PWM (Pulse Width Modulation).

Only the 12V accessory power (charge) lead is going to have a measurable 12V. That's what's on F30.

PrescottNorm

Reaction score
So you had no brakes at low speeds only? Are you set at "Heavy over Hydraulic"? Were brakes OK at higher speeds? Crazy trucks have too many computers now. LOL
Correct, no brakes at lower speeds and "Heavy over Hydraulic). I also have a sliding 5th wheel hitch that requires me manually apply the trailer brakes and move truck forward for operation, when OEM brake controller was manually applied to 100%, there was not enough voltage to activate the EOH pump (no brakes even while stopped), adapter fixed that as well.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Interesting. I can lock up the trailer brakes to do a pull test when I hook up. The difference must be in the Dexter pumps and their compatibility with OEM controllers. My trailer is a heavy 2008 Newmar with factory hydraulic discs.

Users who are viewing this thread