Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Power Wagon Build

jrmudder

Reaction score
Howdy, y'all some of you may have seen me on Instagram "jrmudder" or Facebook, but I want a place where I can share my build process/ progress. So bear with me as I start from the very beginning to where I am now.

A little bit about me: I come from a long line of land cruisers 6+. and an off-roading background. I sold my most recent Land Cruiser Builds - 50 shades of gray, 2011 Land Cruiser Build. Then, I went after a childhood dream of mine of owning a power wagon. I remember getting the Nat Geo magazine and them having info for the 2005+ re-release of them and cutting them out and placing them on my walls.

So, after I sold my 200 series, I knew I was switching to a power wagon. But didn't know how hard it would be to find the right spec one. If I'm dropping this kind of money, I'm going to get exactly what I want, and I will not settle! I'm in NC and looked all over the East Coast and a 500-mile radius, but still, nothing that was exactly what I wanted. So, I set up alerts on some websites, letting me know if one pops up. Fast forward a week early, "May 2022," and I got a hit. A listing with no pictures but a brief description of the truck and saying it was in transit to the dealer from Mexico. The only real issue was it was just outside of Portland, Oregon. I called the dealer and asked them to send me the window sticker to ensure this was the one! To my surprise, it marked everbox. Talking with them, they said the listing had brought a ton of call-ins about it and had only been up for a few hours. But I knew this was the one for me and placed a deposit for them to hold until it came to the port.

Fast forward to early "June 2022," I get a text with a picture of the truck in the port. So now came the time to decide whether to do the smart thing and ship the truck or make this a killer trip. The next thing I knew, I was booking flights from NC to OR. On June 7, 2022, we landed in OR, had our salesman waiting for us, and drove us to the dealership.

Side Note* This was my first time on an airplane and going to the West Coast. I've never left the East Coast. So, this was a whole new world for me.
IMG_6850.PNG
Resized_20220603_141500.JPEGtempImageld1AzS.jpgtempImage3Lt4h7.jpgtempImagepIKjiv.jpgtempImage3AWlL0.jpg

Last edited:

jrmudder

Reaction score
So now, with the truck in hand, we immediately headed two hours in the opposite direction to the West Coast. It's pretty wild seeing mountains and a beach in the same spot. Our first detour was Yellowstone, and it was totally worth the extra driving. Old Faithful, the waterfalls, and the bison; it all far exceeded my expectations. Our following detour was to Colorado to see my old Land Cruiser. I feel confident that I left it in the hands of great people. We backtracked it West and put the Power Wagon through a shakedown run. It surpassed everything I thought it could do, and I only got a few new scratches as we made our way back home through hundreds of miles of farmlands and wind turbines.
That trip was a very eye-opening experience for me. I can't wait to get the time to do it again and spend even more time out there.tempImagebO2KrG.jpgtempImageXRqyhX.jpgtempImageLxdR5m.jpgtempImagecaJnxE.jpgtempImage4dmXnX.jpgtempImageDumTWy.jpgtempImage5bnCWY.jpgtempImagefL7Yqs.jpgtempImagei3UUEp.jpgIMG_8590.jpg

Last edited:

jrmudder

Reaction score
When we got home from our trip, I had a couple of boxes waiting for me. Switch-Pros RCR-FORCE-12 Kit, Built A-Pillar Light Mounts, Radiance Pod XL, WeBoost, Front Runner rack, NH overland mount, Twin ARB compressor, ARB zero fridge, Proclip, Ram Ball Mount. Then, I had the windows tinted and cut off the resonator. There is nothing like having a brand-new truck and drilling holes into the roof. For the fridge, we took out the rear driver-side seat and made a platform for it to live there.

tempImageDwpG0P.jpgtempImageMtDLoR.jpgtempImagegIMF1Z.jpgtempImageci2MmD.jpg
tempImageI2mF3O.jpg
tempImageZd2Ppm.jpg
tempImageDpfIEo.jpgtempImagetzjCOa.jpg

Last edited:

jrmudder

Reaction score
By far, the biggest part of this build is the Alu-Cabin. Asheville Vehicle Outfitters Did all the heavy lifting. Snorkel, Dual battery, Solar. We added 37s Geolander with Bora wheel spacers and had the trim Bead lock rings powered coated bronze.

tempImagew2c1SP.jpg
tempImageYc6B3C.jpg
tempImage3H906w.jpgtempImage39oCvQ.jpgtempImage1D4d4g.jpgtempImagezw1iQs.jpgtempImageSinU8B.jpgtempImagezBMbKN.jpgtempImageTK6yIV.jpgtempImagewMEWhT.jpg

Last edited:

jrmudder

Reaction score
For the next part of the build, we added Airlift bags with Daystar cradles, Thurn rear track bar, Ham Radio, ARB diff breather kit and did all 4, 50in light bar dual color.

tempImagenjpM19.jpgtempImage6Wnb6I.jpgtempImageg7VqyW.jpg
tempImage9VWoTZ.jpgtempImagenJcHXg.jpgtempImageXd1WVL.jpgtempImageUjK7AM.jpg

Last edited:

jrmudder

Reaction score
The truck has been great to me. There were a few issues. My starting battery craped the bed with about 35k, but I wanted a bigger one, so with some "light" cutting, I got a bigger one to fit haha. Also, my front drive shaft started flinging grease. It was replaced under warranty, but the new one is doing the same thing now, so I will be looking at upgraded options. Here lately, I've been having to hit my starter with a hammer to get it to start, so I'll be looking at getting that fixed. Besides these few things, all has been going well. It's about to flip over to 50k, so I need to do some maintenance front, rear, and transfer case fluid change. Will probably upgrade to AEV diff covers at this time to make everything in the future easier.

All oil changes are AMs oil signature series. with Mopar SRT filter

tempImageOcjbFU.jpgtempImage98rv4T.jpgtempImagegPV1Xy.jpg

Last edited:

jrmudder

Reaction score
So this is where we stand today with updated pictures. We have added rotopax to the doors and added a house grade 315-watt solar panel on top. And a hot water shower. I also got a killer deal on a rigd tire swing out.

tempImagevfd61z.jpgtempImageMLmTln.jpgtempImagedj9tc5.jpgtempImageFwxM6V.jpgtempImage1zJ3gQ.jpgtempImageaXqPcm.jpg

Last edited:

Etoimos

Reaction score
Looks like you are having fun with the build, can't wait to see where all you take it.

UglyViking

Reaction score
Quick question. You're the first person I've seen with that tablet ram mount on the passenger side. How is the space for the pass seat with it installed? Does it take up a ton of room or not bad?

rdaled

Reaction score
Awesome build, ready for lots of adventures!

I like what you did with the factory "beadlock rings". How much did that run?

Etoimos

Reaction score
Quick question. You're the first person I've seen with that tablet ram mount on the passenger side. How is the space for the pass seat with it installed? Does it take up a ton of room or not bad?
Not my build or thread, but I run a tablet in the same location on my truck. My wife can sit there, but she does not like the amount of room it takes up. Mine is mounted on an aluminum rod, so I can pretty easily bend it around as needed. I also have the bench seat, so no center console to deal with either.

index.php

jrmudder

Reaction score
It does take up some legroom, but it's not bad. This is also a laptop holder just change the top part.
tempImage5wdpz7.jpg

stancedeuros

Reaction score
Awesome story. Out of all our vehicles, the ones with a fun purchase story and “extra” adventure are the best memories. Living in Greenville, SC, I hope sometime I’ll see this beast on the forest roads in Pisgah or DuPont.

jrmudder

Reaction score
Here are some of my favorite Pictures, all older ones. Unfortunately, my new camera quality is too high to post them here. But I'll wrap it up here till I add something new. See my updated post above to see where I stand today!

IMG_2378.jpgIMG_1442.jpgIMG_1277.jpgIMG_1053.jpgIMG_1016.JPGIMG_0993.jpgtempImage4tO3VZ.jpgIMG_3386.JPG
index.php
tempImage0wKoLF.jpg

Attachments

• tempImageKIUacx.jpg
    tempImageKIUacx.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 286

Kauffmj1

Reaction score
Beautiful truck and awesome shakedown run. I'm jealous of your travels.

Those rzeppa joints are the same they use on my Jeep Wrangler JK. I got sick of replacing them on my Jeep and finally went with a custom driveshaft from Adams Driveshaft. No issues since then. Those rzeppa joints hold up well to stock use and flex, but throw big tires and new driveshaft angles at them and they grenade pretty quickly. Rzeppas are great for low noise and maintenance in a stock vehicle and can be very strong. Its usually the boots not up to the task with binding and extra strain.

Users who are viewing this thread