Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 High mileage motor failures?

unclelala

Reaction score
I think idle hours are counted any time the wheels aren’t moving (so stop lights included).
bb9dfbdf40722e154c78cb818b5fc666.jpg
Interesting, I wonder if thats true, I wonder if its like you say when the wheels stop rolling OR its when ever its out of Park ?

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Interesting, I wonder if thats true, I wonder if its like you say when the wheels stop rolling OR its when ever its out of Park ?

Curious… I suppose I could test it. I’d have to keep track exactly for a while how much I idle it in park. And compare it to whenever I start it. I think it would make sense that any time the axels aren’t moving it’s idling. So any time the motor isn’t actually doing work. That’s the only way I can figure I have so many hours on mine already though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Baloo

Reaction score
I found this in the owners manual for my 2022.

Take it as you want, but RAM doesn't recommend prolonged periods of idling.

Attachments

• RAM 2022 Owners Manual on Idling.pdf
    243.1 KB · Views: 53

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I found this in the owners manual for my 2022.

Take it as you want, but RAM doesn't recommend prolonged periods of idling.

That’s nothing new. Cummins has considered more than 10 minutes of idle per hour of operation (16.6%) excessive as long as I have been around them. I’ve read that idle hours being shown on the vehicle is a way to hold owners accountable to their idle hours should an issue arise.

The old adage of diesels like to idle is based on difficulty starting. Cylinder washdown has always been a diesel issue.

chuck4x4nc

Reaction score
I follow a few threads here and a couple of YouTube channels. One channel in particular has a guy with a fleet doing hotshot work. He has around 30 trucks, 8 of them 2022’s. It doesn’t sound like he’s had any transmission issues like some of us have, but all of his 2022’s are near the 100k mark for miles. And here’s the thing, he’s been having motors fail. Yeah, three or four of them.
The issue seems to be with lubrication in parts of the top of the motor. I don’t want to start a “what kind of oil” thread…
I’ve heard Paul (YouTuber in question) uses Schaeffer, and sticks to the recommend viscosity. He claims (I’ve no reason to doubt, he’s full of experience and information without arrogance) that they change oil at or less than 10k intervals.

With the fright and pain of the transmission failure in mine near new, this has got me worried about longevity of the truck I plan to work me into retirement. I don’t do long hauls, but it still means I’ll need the truck to go to around 300k. And it should, as Paul has a ‘14 with more than 500k on it.

So how many of you have a lot of miles on your 22’s? What oil do you use and do you use a mileage interval or trust the gauge? Have you had any odd codes get thrown for cylinder misfires? Any cold start compression knock? (All issues Paul says he has on the 3 motors that have died)

Curious, as mine is a baby with just below 8000 miles yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just sold my 22 with 194,000. No issues Ram dealership for all oil, transmission and fuel filters.

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
My truck also has a lot of idle hours for only 8,000 miles….took delivery February 2022. I remote start it usually for a few mins right before I drive away going to and coming home from work to get the AC and/or heat started….I can count on one hand how many times it’s hit the 15 min shutoff.

It must be counting by under a certain RPM while in drive.

Mine are:

Drive: 266
Idle: 137

I have a short drive to work (6 miles) but it doesn’t seem right that it would be a 1:2 ratio.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
My truck also has a lot of idle hours for only 8,000 miles….took delivery February 2022. I remote start it usually for a few mins right before I drive away going to and coming home from work to get the AC and/or heat started….I can count on one hand how many times it’s hit the 15 min shutoff.

It must be counting by under a certain RPM while in drive.

Mine are:

Drive: 266
Idle: 137

I have a short drive to work (6 miles) but it doesn’t seem right that it would be a 1:2 ratio.

I believe it counts under a certain speed, not certain rpms.

That being said, I’m willing to get the idling from remote start is your biggest contributor to idle time.

You have 34% idle time, which is just over double what Cummins considers excessive at 10 minutes per hour of operation.

2001WS6

Reaction score
So, this thread had me curious what I had for Idle hours.
I've done at least 20 or more 1600 mile trips hauling trailers and the rest of it stop and go town driving.

auILjjQ.jpg

Aketay

Reaction score
If the wheels aren’t printing money, the truck isn’t running.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 28

Jimmy Dean

Reaction score
I believe it counts under a certain speed, not certain rpms.

That being said, I’m willing to get the idling from remote start is your biggest contributor to idle time.

You have 34% idle time, which is just over double what Cummins considers excessive at 10 minutes per hour of operation.
Yea it was mildly on my radar but hearing that makes me think I shouldn’t be starting it early at all. I’ve always let my gas trucks run for a second before taking off but with a short commute it’s probably doing more harm than good eh?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea it was mildly on my radar but hearing that makes me think I shouldn’t be starting it early at all. I’ve always let my gas trucks run for a second before taking off but with a short commute it’s probably doing more harm than good eh?

Build oil pressure and drive easy until they are warm. I rarely idle more than 30 seconds before putting my truck in gear.

It does happen where I idle longer or use remote start, but not a regular practice.

Diller

Reaction score
It would be interesting if there are any TSBs circulating around RAM. I have a 22 that was having some frequent regens and while in the dealership the tech noted "abnormal engine noise". They went ahead and replaced the rockers and push rods. I hadn't noticed any excessive noise (came from a 2006 3500 so everything is smoother compared to that).. Seems interesting they would have the authorization to move that quickly on a repair like that.

JayRay12

Reaction score
It would be interesting if there are any TSBs circulating around RAM. I have a 22 that was having some frequent regens and while in the dealership the tech noted "abnormal engine noise". They went ahead and replaced the rockers and push rods. I hadn't noticed any excessive noise (came from a 2006 3500 so everything is smoother compared to that).. Seems interesting they would have the authorization to move that quickly on a repair like that.
What kind of mileage is on your truck and can you share the build date please.

JayRay12

Reaction score
Disheartening to hear of the Cummins HO issues as of late on the 2022 models. I've had a 2002 and 2004.5 Cummins Ram and no issues whatsoever. Now that I'm in the market for a new version I am now a little skeptical on what to do...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Disheartening to hear of the Cummins HO issues as of late on the 2022 models. I've had a 2002 and 2004.5 Cummins Ram and no issues whatsoever. Now that I'm in the market for a new version I am now a little skeptical on what to do...

I wouldn’t lose to much sleep over it.

The VP44 was the pump with the highest failure rate until the CP4, and even then it may have had a higher failure rate but it didn’t take out the fuel system.

The 04.5 had the weakest pistons of any Cummins in a Ram and they were more prone failure.

Point being, everything made by man has a failure rate. All in all I would stack up the current HO against any engine of the past and not lose any sleep over buying one.

Last edited:

ddionne1500

Reaction score
I hear ya but '22's are not very old yet and the average '22 doesn't have many miles on it yet. I thought this Paul guy said he'd had 4 fail, maybe it is up to 5, but out of 8 total? That's starting to seem like a pretty fair sample, imo.
5 out of 8 is a pretty good indication that its a user issue and not a manufacturing issue. Vast majority of engines are not as well lubricated at low RPM and 1800 Idle hours in just over 100,000 miles is absolutely absurd. If you noticed in his video the truck literally has the same amount of idle hours as it does drive hours. 100% user fault IMO. My 2022 has just over 200,000 on it now and has less than 300 idle hours. These engines are not designed to idle for nearly 6 hours a day, 5 days a week which is actually less that what his have idled for.

ddionne1500

Reaction score
The cummins don't have any new issues. There's the typical intake bolt issue which is nothing new. The guy in question had 5 out his 8 engines go bad, pretty good indication it's a user issue. The truck in his video has 1800 idle hours in a year. 1800. Thats nearly 8 hours of idle every day, 5 days a week for a year. For perspective, my 2022 has 200,000 on it now, and has less than 300 idling hours.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
5 out of 8 is a pretty good indication that its a user issue and not a manufacturing issue. Vast majority of engines are not as well lubricated at low RPM and 1800 Idle hours in just over 100,000 miles is absolutely absurd. If you noticed in his video the truck literally has the same amount of idle hours as it does drive hours. 100% user fault IMO. My 2022 has just over 200,000 on it now and has less than 300 idle hours. These engines are not designed to idle for nearly 6 hours a day, 5 days a week which is actually less that what his have idled for.

I'm like you, very low idle hours and very high avg speed. But that doesn't change my opinion that an engine should be able to idle indefinitely without suffering a mechanical failure. Emissions failures? Absolutely. But valvetrain failures? No. Not too many years ago, a Cummins could idle its life away.

I guess it's not as big a deal as long as the owner knows not to idle for excessive periods of time. But then what's excessive? More than 10 minutes? 20? 30? 2 hours? Who really knows? Since the beginning of the trucking industry, drivers have idled their trucks all night for heating and cooling with no issues. If these newer engines aren't designed for extended idling, that just did away with running your truck at night for comfort, and/or survival. Seems unnecessary. The hotshot industry has been dominated by Dodge/Ram for years but I suppose that could change.

Users who are viewing this thread