Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 High mileage motor failures?

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I follow a few threads here and a couple of YouTube channels. One channel in particular has a guy with a fleet doing hotshot work. He has around 30 trucks, 8 of them 2022’s. It doesn’t sound like he’s had any transmission issues like some of us have, but all of his 2022’s are near the 100k mark for miles. And here’s the thing, he’s been having motors fail. Yeah, three or four of them.
The issue seems to be with lubrication in parts of the top of the motor. I don’t want to start a “what kind of oil” thread…
I’ve heard Paul (YouTuber in question) uses Schaeffer, and sticks to the recommend viscosity. He claims (I’ve no reason to doubt, he’s full of experience and information without arrogance) that they change oil at or less than 10k intervals.

With the fright and pain of the transmission failure in mine near new, this has got me worried about longevity of the truck I plan to work me into retirement. I don’t do long hauls, but it still means I’ll need the truck to go to around 300k. And it should, as Paul has a ‘14 with more than 500k on it.

So how many of you have a lot of miles on your 22’s? What oil do you use and do you use a mileage interval or trust the gauge? Have you had any odd codes get thrown for cylinder misfires? Any cold start compression knock? (All issues Paul says he has on the 3 motors that have died)

Curious, as mine is a baby with just below 8000 miles yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woolfman

Reaction score
I was about to start this same post. I'm a little worried about my 22. here is one of his videos about it

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I was about to start this same post. I'm a little worried about my 22. here is one of his videos about it

That’s what I was talking about. Paul is a good dude.

jebruns

Reaction score
Should be noted, these are the HO motors. Sure seems like there is a bad run of them in the early 22 builds, considering how many other years he has of the same basic trucks.

Riddick

Reaction score
I saw this video last night and it leaves a lot to be desired on what's really going on. I would be slightly concerned if you have an early 22 HO as I think he clearly has an issue, especially since he has had the same issue with multiple trucks. I stated his video leaves a lot to be desired because we don't know what the issue is. You mentioned above a possible lubrication issue in the top end but that's pure speculation. From my computer chair I would venture to say its bearing related in the bottom end. Again, pure speculation.... I would love to see him pull the oil filter and cut it open for inspection so we can see what's really going on inside the engine.

His theory of different suppliers using different metals/materials could have merit as well. We all know the pandemic put a hurting on the supply chain, I wonder what parts manufacturers were impacted and what changes they had to make to keep their production line rolling. The majority of the parts on our truck are outsourced to the lowest bidder so there is no telling what impact that has on longevity.

Did he mention what the soft engine lights were, I wanna say they were misfire related but not 100%?

The1adman

Reaction score
I watch Paul's video's from time to time and think he is definitely a fair individual. Paul usually leans very pro Ram and Cummins. I have no doubt there is a issue with those trucks that is not related to misuse, abuse or lack of service. In another thread about switching to solid lifters, the pictures of ''Made In China'' stamped on the front of the timing cover might explain something. Also, I don't think 100K miles is high mileage for this kind of failure.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
He says he has a bunch with the same issue but never says what the cause is… at most it would be a valve job id assume not much else to go wrong.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
He said the cams, pushrods and rocker arms were bad. He said he thinks it's tune related. I'm a bit puzzled how a tune could wreck those parts. Seems more like a lubrication issue, which theoretically could be related to excessive idling, I guess? Just hoping my CTD Lite is immune! Evidently it has a different cam, if that makes any difference.

slvrsix7

Reaction score
Interesting, but 5 trucks is a very very small sample of all the 2022 HO's out there. Think if there was an actual issue that is causing engines to go bad at 100K we'd hear more about it.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I hear ya but '22's are not very old yet and the average '22 doesn't have many miles on it yet. I thought this Paul guy said he'd had 4 fail, maybe it is up to 5, but out of 8 total? That's starting to seem like a pretty fair sample, imo.

Nick

Reaction score
Outside of Hotshots which is a small percentage relative to all HD 's sold you are going to see very few with that kind of mileage in a year .Best thing to do if you idle is kick it up to 1000 k . I remember when Ford 6.2 's were dying like flies back in 05 and 06 . I think that is when they started making their own motors .

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
To many idle hours. If you saw the trucks screen he had 1832 hours I believe in a one year old truck. 1870 driving hours.

I think so too. He has (or allows) drivers to idle them while they sleep. Still, this isn’t a new practice for him for just 22’s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I watch Paul's video's from time to time and think he is definitely a fair individual. Paul usually leans very pro Ram and Cummins. I have no doubt there is a issue with those trucks that is not related to misuse, abuse or lack of service. In another thread about switching to solid lifters, the pictures of ''Made In China'' stamped on the front of the timing cover might explain something. Also, I don't think 100K miles is high mileage for this kind of failure.

I don’t think 100k miles is a lot for one of these trucks either, but it definitely is for a truck around a year old. And with the expectation that these should go double that before needing something minor, an engine rebuild or replacement at this point is a big deal.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Interesting, but 5 trucks is a very very small sample of all the 2022 HO's out there. Think if there was an actual issue that is causing engines to go bad at 100K we'd hear more about it.

That’s the point of my inquiry… there’s probably not many trucks with at or near this mileage out there. BUT, will we start seeing issues when we do have our trucks getting there in 4-5 years?

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Outside of Hotshots which is a small percentage relative to all HD 's sold you are going to see very few with that kind of mileage in a year .Best thing to do if you idle is kick it up to 1000 k . I remember when Ford 6.2 's were dying like flies back in 05 and 06 . I think that is when they started making their own motors .

This right here is my question as well. With hydronic lifers at normal idle speed, not enough lubrication gets to the top end of the engine. However, my 22 doesn’t always go into high idle if the temps outside are moderate. It will at cold temps, but even then not always. I always kick it into high idle if it will be sitting more than a minute or two. So is that part of his issue? I’ve messaged him to see if drivers always kick the high idle on. It’s possible that the newer engines have tighter tolerances than previous years and parts wear faster with less lubrication. As another poster mentioned, this is all speculation until it’s confirmed. In any case you’d think the tune would have it kick into high idle consistently.

Cseybert

Reaction score
That’s the point of my inquiry… there’s probably not many trucks with at or near this mileage out there. BUT, will we start seeing issues when we do have our trucks getting there in 4-5 years?

Not necessarily it’s the idle hours not the mileage, this is severe severe duty. The average person will never put these idle hours on any engine my 1997 probably has maybe 100 idle hours.

unclelala

Reaction score
Not necessarily it’s the idle hours not the mileage, this is severe severe duty. The average person will never put these idle hours on any engine my 1997 probably has maybe 100 idle hours.
Hot Shotters have been using 3500 Rams for a lot of years with plenty of idle times with mostly no issues, so it seems to me or IMO its got to more of a 2022 thing.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score

No way it’s 100…I’m not saying idle hours have nothing to do with it, but that on these newer engines high idle is needed. My 2022 already has 100 hours with just 8000 miles in the books. I plug it in if it’s cooler than 30 degrees overnight and only let it warm up for about 5 minutes before driving. I think idle hours are counted any time the wheels aren’t moving (so stop lights included). If I math right I’ll hit around 1000 hours of idle at around 80k, so for him having 100k on his he’s not terribly off of what one of us might see at that mileage.

Here’s a pic of my hours on my truck.
bb9dfbdf40722e154c78cb818b5fc666.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread