Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

dcoelho96

Reaction score
282 days without your brand new truck. A truck that you got to use and enjoy for all of 6 days.

I would like to see someone at corporate explain to you (and all of us) how anyone can deem that even remotely acceptable. You have been utterly failed in every way that a customer can be failed. If I were you, I would be speaking with the Ram regional representative for that area and making some serious demands. If they won’t play ball, I would consider either filing with the NCDS or speaking to an attorney. I can’t even begin to fathom how they could fail this poorly and think it’s acceptable.
oh believe me i have been in contact with an attorney the only “delay” on that end is they dont want to file until this is over saying (logically) it doesnt make sense too file 2 suits the first for the 9 months so far and then again for the remainder until i actually do end up getting it back.

dcoelho96

Reaction score
got the call today from service advisor “trucks done” and SPOILER ALERT it was not. after looking over the exterior and spotting what i hope is just residual transmission fluid from work performed. but more alarmingly the truck also now has a check engine light. long story short threw it back in the spot i got it from and gave the keys back and left in my rental. service manager assures me itll be fixed tomorow

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
got the call today from service advisor “trucks done” and SPOILER ALERT it was not. after looking over the exterior and spotting what i hope is just residual transmission fluid from work performed. but more alarmingly the truck also now has a check engine light. long story short threw it back in the spot i got it from and gave the keys back and left in my rental. service manager assures me itll be fixed tomorow
If this keeps up you may exceed 300 days.
Not that it would be something to celebrate.
That really sucks. Apparently no one looked it over very hard before releasing it to you. But then again, why would they. It’s only been out of service for a 78% of a year.

TroyMcClure

Reaction score
Looks like I got lucky as the dealer had 3 parts in stock where I broke down. The dealership in Port Alberni BC has been awesome to deal with. They had the transmission out today. We’ll see if they get it done tomorrow.

Chrsyler owes me big time for this mistake and not alerting me to get it fixed when they knew about it. I was just in the Yukon for a couple of weeks on the AK highway. Incredibly thankful it did not happen there.

ds18

Reaction score
@mbarber84 Please add me to the list 2022 RAM 3500 SRW, 5502 miles.

1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable): Dec 2021 Laramie 3500 with upgraded HO motor and Aisin
2. Date of manufacture: 10/2022
3. Date you purchased the truck: I received it 11/26/2022
4. Mileage on the odometer at the time of failure: 5502 miles, less than 300 miles total towing
5. Serial Number of failed transmission:: 2J-0075
6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)? TBD
7. Were you towing at the time of failure? Yes, a 5000lb travel trailer
8. Did 1st through 4th gear work? No
9. Did reverse work? Yes
10. What date did the transmission fail? 8/11/2023
11. When was the truck returned to you after repair? TBD
12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts? TBD

Further details and timeline:
  • Aisin blew up 8/11/23 at 2:30PM.
  • Had my family and travel trailer on way home from camping trip in 4 lanes of Friday afternoon rush hour traffic just before Exit 2 on I95 north in NH headed to Maine.
  • Coasted to the side of the road with hazards on pushing other vehicles out of the way as I was 3 lanes over and couldn't risk being stuck in the middle of the interstate.
  • Immediately called Chrysler roadside assistance and my dealer. After two hours on the phone and being charged $750. They completely left us hanging stating we were out of market and no tow providers available, they also said our dealer isn't part of their program or could not be located, IRA CDJR Saco Maine.
  • For safety reasons I sent my family home in an Uber $105
  • I was forced to find a local tow company (National Wrecker) to get my camper home and truck to our dealer. 5 hours stranded on the side of the road and $928 towing fee.
  • 12 days in dealer has no available loaner cars or trucks available
  • 12 days in dealer is struggling with Chrysler to submit information for replacement transmission no ETA
  • Previous to this trip I had scheduled the recall for the diesel grid heater relay to be replaced on 7/12/23 at my dealer IRA CDJR Saco Maine. Two weeks before this appointment I added to the service ticket to inspect the transmission and I provided the dealer the Chrysler TSB information on the K1 snap ring and Ram HD forum information of the failures. I noted my truck build and details fall squarely in the middle of the truck's that are failing, I was worried about towing in the upcoming camping trips and wanted to avoid putting my family in a bad situation. The service manager made me feel paranoid and stated on the ticket customer has been reading forums and worried about the transmission. They updated the ticket sending us on our way citing no issues found and that our VIN wasn't part of the problem.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
@mbarber84 Please add me to the list 2022 RAM 3500 SRW, 5502 miles.

1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable): Dec 2021 Laramie 3500 with upgraded HO motor and Aisin
2. Date of manufacture: 10/2022
3. Date you purchased the truck: I received it 11/26/2022
4. Mileage on the odometer at the time of failure: 5502 miles, less than 300 miles total towing
5. Serial Number of failed transmission:: 2J-0075
6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)? TBD
7. Were you towing at the time of failure? Yes, a 5000lb travel trailer
8. Did 1st through 4th gear work? No
9. Did reverse work? Yes
10. What date did the transmission fail? 8/11/2023
11. When was the truck returned to you after repair? TBD
12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts? TBD

Further details and timeline:
  • Aisin blew up 8/11/23 at 2:30PM.
  • Had my family and travel trailer on way home from camping trip in 4 lanes of Friday afternoon rush hour traffic just before Exit 2 on I95 north in NH headed to Maine.
  • Coasted to the side of the road with hazards on pushing other vehicles out of the way as I was 3 lanes over and couldn't risk being stuck in the middle of the interstate.
  • Immediately called Chrysler roadside assistance and my dealer. After two hours on the phone and being charged $750. They completely left us hanging stating we were out of market and no tow providers available, they also said our dealer isn't part of their program or could not be located, IRA CDJR Saco Maine.
  • For safety reasons I sent my family home in an Uber $105
  • I was forced to find a local tow company (National Wrecker) to get my camper home and truck to our dealer. 5 hours stranded on the side of the road and $928 towing fee.
  • 12 days in dealer has no available loaner cars or trucks available
  • 12 days in dealer is struggling with Chrysler to submit information for replacement transmission no ETA
  • Previous to this trip I had scheduled the recall for the diesel grid heater relay to be replaced on 7/12/23 at my dealer IRA CDJR Saco Maine. Two weeks before this appointment I added to the service ticket to inspect the transmission and I provided the dealer the Chrysler TSB information on the K1 snap ring and Ram HD forum information of the failures. I noted my truck build and details fall squarely in the middle of the truck's that are failing, I was worried about towing in the upcoming camping trips and wanted to avoid putting my family in a bad situation. The service manager made me feel paranoid and stated on the ticket customer has been reading forums and worried about the transmission. They updated the ticket sending us on our way citing no issues found and that our VIN wasn't part of the problem.
I’m really sorry to hear all of this. I keep getting branded as a tinfoil hat wearer myself. I guess people think I’m making this all up? Not sure. The very reason I’ve continued doing this spreadsheet and keeping up with the 6 different online platforms where I have this data presented is to hopefully prevent the very situation you just found yourself in. Unfortunately it’s hard to convince some of these dealerships, or Ram for that matter, that this issue is serious enough that it demands further attention. As I mentioned in a previous comment here, I also tried to speak with NHTSA on this matter but was given the cold shoulder.
Because it is a small percentage of the total number of trucks built, it just doesn’t “look” like a big enough issue I guess. There have been (as far as I know) no injuries or property damage from this failure, so that helps “their” cause along and belittles the issue even further. I’m glad no one has been hurt but I still think it’s a matter of time before there’s a serious accident as a result of this failure.

In any case I truly appreciate the information and I’ll get you on the spreadsheet. If you need any additional info, please feel free to reach out. The one good thing I can report is that it does seem like they’re getting better and repairing these in a timely fashion. The most recent trucks returned to service were all repaired around the 20-30 day mark, give or take.

Thanks for sharing and glad you and your family are safe.

dcoelho96

Reaction score
well folks. it happened. i finally am back in my truck. picked it up this afternoon after visiting the dealership to get an update on the situation which is as follows (this isnt over yet)

so the tranny fluid appears by all accounts to just be what i expected they just couldnt be bothered to clean up after themselves and it was residual from the work done.

check engine light was on for a dpf sensor, not sure if you all got the letter i just got a couple weeks ago but its addressing this very concern, i swear to god im pretty sure the letter says the sensor was never installed from factory and once they updated my truck during this process now the ecu registers there is a missing sensor and throws a code.

so of course they want to perform both outstanding recalls (heater grid) but the parts for the dpf sensor are not in stock and will be about a week…of course im sick of waiting and my truck is driveable so i said screw it give me it back call me when parts show up to schedule the repairs and thats where we are now

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
well folks. it happened. i finally am back in my truck. picked it up this afternoon after visiting the dealership to get an update on the situation which is as follows (this isnt over yet)

so the tranny fluid appears by all accounts to just be what i expected they just couldnt be bothered to clean up after themselves and it was residual from the work done.

check engine light was on for a dpf sensor, not sure if you all got the letter i just got a couple weeks ago but its addressing this very concern, i swear to god im pretty sure the letter says the sensor was never installed from factory and once they updated my truck during this process now the ecu registers there is a missing sensor and throws a code.

so of course they want to perform both outstanding recalls (heater grid) but the parts for the dpf sensor are not in stock and will be about a week…of course im sick of waiting and my truck is driveable so i said screw it give me it back call me when parts show up to schedule the repairs and thats where we are now
Glad to hear you got it back finally. Please let me know if there are any issues moving forward. So final final verdict was the replaced the transmission entirely correct? If so, could you get me the serial number from the new transmission?

You are correct. You’re getting a check engine light because they flashed your PCM as part of the repair. When they flashed the PCM, it uploaded the latest iteration of the powertrain programming to your truck. Now that the Y43 recall is out for the 2022 pickups, the latest pcm flash will have the programming for the Particulate matter sensor. Your previous version of the PCM software did not contain that programming because your truck was shipped from the factory without the particulate matter sensor. You should have received written notice of this at the time of purchase. Your truck has the latest flash and is looking for a particulate matter sensor that currently isn’t installed on your truck. Once they get the sensor in and perform the Y43 recall, you’ll have the sensor and the issue with the check engine light should be resolved.

This is a noteworthy realization for people to pay attention to as this will be the fate of anyone who chooses not to have the Y43 recall performed on their truck. If they ever need a service in the future, and they don’t get the sensor installed under recall, they’ll find themselves in the same situation you are in now.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
@dcoelho96 also i need your trucks date of manufacture, the date the transmission failed, and transmission serial number. Both the replacement and the original trans if you have them or can get them.

Rotornut

Reaction score
Be sure to let us know how it turns out
UPDATE: made it home after 2.5 hour trip. I was able to talk to the transmission tech. He told me this was his 8th vehicle to repair with the snap ring/clutch Kit. Told me he hasn’t had any of them back (failed) as of yet. Truck transmission ran a little sluggish (more hesitation in shifting that I remember) for the first 10-15 miles. I ran through the gears and tranny seemed to get better the more I pushed it.

I will get the transmission SN tomorrow for or the spreadsheet. FINGERS CROSSED.

dcoelho96

Reaction score
@dcoelho96 also i need your trucks date of manufacture, the date the transmission failed, and transmission serial number. Both the replacement and the original trans if you have them or can get them.

yes trans was completely replaced in the end, and as for the recall i literally just got the letter a week ago for the y43 in fact when i brought the letter to the dealer this was the first any of them had heard of it. might be a canada/usa recall paperwork issue but definitely new up here

trans failed nov 11/2022
truck was manufactured 7-22
i can get the info on the replacement if u can tell me where to find the info on it the original unfortunately i cant help with

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
yes trans was completely replaced in the end, and as for the recall i literally just got the letter a week ago for the y43 in fact when i brought the letter to the dealer this was the first any of them had heard of it. might be a canada/usa recall paperwork issue but definitely new up here

trans failed nov 11/2022
truck was manufactured 7-22
i can get the info on the replacement if u can tell me where to find the info on it the original unfortunately i cant help with
I appreciate the updates everyone. Glad you’re getting your trucks back after much time without them.

Transmission serial number is stamped on a blue metal tag that is on the (drivers?…can’t remember for sure) side of the transmission itself. It’ll be a six character serial like “2A-1234”. Whatever info you can get is fine. Just please specify when you report back wether the serial is from the new transmission or the original transmission. Thanks!

Rotornut

Reaction score
UPDATE: made it home after 2.5 hour trip. I was able to talk to the transmission tech. He told me this was his 8th vehicle to repair with the snap ring/clutch Kit. Told me he hasn’t had any of them back (failed) as of yet. Truck transmission ran a little sluggish (more hesitation in shifting that I remember) for the first 10-15 miles. I ran through the gears and tranny seemed to get better the more I pushed it.

I will get the transmission SN tomorrow for or the spreadsheet. FINGERS CROSSED.

Serial Number on Aisin transmission is: 2I-0201

TroyMcClure

Reaction score
Update, I’m back on the road, quick turn around, feeling lucky.

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair? 08/24/23
12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts? Repaired, no new transmission.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Update, I’m back on the road, quick turn around, feeling lucky.

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair? 08/24/23
12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts? Repaired, no new transmission.
Wow! Repaired and returned in less than a week. You must be living right! Congratulations and thanks for the update.

dcoelho96

Reaction score
OKAY so been out on the road putting some miles on my truck since getting it back but im noticing a rather concerning CLUNK which seems to be originating from the rear.

i can reproduce it pretty easily it seems to do it when “shocking” the drivetrain either by tapping the gas at low speeds (think lope tune) or if im using the exhaust brake then touch the throttle itll buck- like i mentioned above it does feel and sound like its coming from the back this time not the trans but what are the chances something was installed wrong?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
OKAY so been out on the road putting some miles on my truck since getting it back but im noticing a rather concerning CLUNK which seems to be originating from the rear.

i can reproduce it pretty easily it seems to do it when “shocking” the drivetrain either by tapping the gas at low speeds (think lope tune) or if im using the exhaust brake then touch the throttle itll buck- like i mentioned above it does feel and sound like its coming from the back this time not the trans but what are the chances something was installed wrong?
Could be something they did with the driveline or T-case when they reassembled everything or maybe when the transmission broke / clunked etc could have been a shock to the driveline? Not sure. And very hard to guess without being there and seeing / hearing it personally

Users who are viewing this thread