Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
picked up the truck today. They replaced the entire transmission and did the heater grid replay recall. I decided sice its a new transmission it needs to be treated like a new truck. That means 500 mile no towing, and not over 50 mph. We can't get the full 500 on it but we can get 300 before having to tow the 5th wheel. We took the truck form Greely, CO to Breckenridge, CO. Trans temp stayed around 163-170. I used cruise up and down the mountain, no exhaust break. Wanted to give it a good workout. Filled up in Breckenridge, CO and headed back to Greely, after an ice cream cone. I did hte same thing up and over the mountain, but used the tow haul to lock out over drive, and used exhaust break to get the trans to down shift into lower gears and kick the RPMs up. .it wasn't until we got past Denver that I noticed the fuel mileage. Usually the truck would get around 16, we were getting 21-23. Final number when we got back to the park was 23.5 Ill keep an eye on this as it was at 50 mph, but the other trans never got over 16 when I was breaking it in. Matter of fact the truck with the old transmission never got over 18 period, regardless of the speed. Has anyone else seen an increase in fuel milage after a complete transmission replacement? image is while on a down hill run after about 100 miles.

Attachments

• image_50406145.JPG
    image_50406145.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
picked up the truck today. They replaced the entire transmission and did the heater grid replay recall. I decided sice its a new transmission it needs to be treated like a new truck. That means 500 mile no towing, and not over 50 mph. We can't get the full 500 on it but we can get 300 before having to tow the 5th wheel. We took the truck form Greely, CO to Breckenridge, CO. Trans temp stayed around 163-170. I used cruise up and down the mountain, no exhaust break. Wanted to give it a good workout. Filled up in Breckenridge, CO and headed back to Greely, after an ice cream cone. I did hte same thing up and over the mountain, but used the tow haul to lock out over drive, and used exhaust break to get the trans to down shift into lower gears and kick the RPMs up. .it wasn't until we got past Denver that I noticed the fuel mileage. Usually the truck would get around 16, we were getting 21-23. Final number when we got back to the park was 23.5 Ill keep an eye on this as it was at 50 mph, but the other trans never got over 16 when I was breaking it in. Matter of fact the truck with the old transmission never got over 18 period, regardless of the speed. Has anyone else seen an increase in fuel milage after a complete transmission replacement?

Glad you got it back.

You’ll be fine towing since the towing break-in is believe to deal with gears in the rear end.

1ram

Reaction score
Yeah, I was looking at that. I talked to three dealers around the Denver area that said they have 3-4 trucks down each and all were in the 10-20k range. Maybe they were stretching the truth, I just know thats what I was told by three different shops.

I plan on sending a link to the document to District warranty manager I am working with, on Monday. Maybe he can help some of the others that are on there. I fought with RAM Care and the dealer for a week before he got involved. He called me Friday a week ago today. It took him a week to source the transmission, ship it, and have it installed. the dealer called me and said they had every intention of getting it out today, they just ran out of time.
Any details you can provide on this, finding a useful human w/in Ram sounds amazing..

Our transmission went, Stellantis quit attempting to even rescue the vehicle and left us stranded, now can’t get any attention on it (parts were available and work scheduled before it blew, now the parts are not avail), Ram Cares case manager is completely useless and can not get anyone to even respond.

Reaction score
Add another 2022 3500 to the list. Will get the info for your spreadsheet when my blood pressure levels out. Left us stranded on forest service road in northern Minnesota with reverse and a little forward moment at redline rpm. Ended up driving in 4 Low for quite a distance to get cell service. Currently sitting at dealer with our truck camper taken off and also sitting in dealer lot. Trying to get the district warranty rep info but getting the run around.
Ram corporate is an absolute disgusting joke.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Add another 2022 3500 to the list. Will get the info for your spreadsheet when my blood pressure levels out. Left us stranded on forest service road in northern Minnesota with reverse and a little forward moment at redline rpm. Ended up driving in 4 Low for quite a distance to get cell service. Currently sitting at dealer with our truck camper taken off and also sitting in dealer lot. Trying to get the district warranty rep info but getting the run around.
There are a few facebook groups for those in RVs that need help moving around after a truck failure. Look up Switch It Up or Our Road Less Traveled. Post to the group and maybe someone is close enough that can move your camper and or get you home.

Reaction score
There are a few facebook groups for those in RVs that need help moving around after a truck failure. Look up Switch It Up or Our Road Less Traveled. Post to the group and maybe someone is close enough that can move your camper and or get you home.
Thanks, will check those out if this drags out.

CaptainMike

Reaction score
Thanks, will check those out if this drags out.
Same thing with the same circumstances happened to me on Father's Day weekend. Fortunately, there was a great dealership close by and they had the transmission fixed in 2 weeks. The fact that my camper was taking up 2 spaces on their small lot put me to the top of their priority list. Good luck going forward.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
No problem I completely understand. Do your thing and send me the info whenever you get the time. Glad you’re safe. No place to be stranded.

Reaction score
Here is the info on my truck
VIN 3C6-3RRJL5NG-341808
Date ordered 5/22
Date Built 8/22
Date purchased 10/22
Mileage at failure 9870
S/N of failed Trans ?? At dealer 300 miles away, will update at some point
Towing- yes plus 4500 lb slide in camper in bed
1-4 gears- no
Reverse- yes
Date of failure 6/30/2023
Still @ dealer
Looking to repair not replace

Trying to be patient with the servicing dealer, I understand the parts and worker issues, but would like honest answers and less blowing smoke. Have also engaged the dealer I purchased the truck through.

Have owned every generation of Ram/Cummins and this is the first large issue I’ve had. Really like the 2022, hopefully we can get through this issue and rebuild the trust in the truck.

jacob410

Reaction score
Just adding my opinion. I really think Ram is dropping the ball on how they are handling this issue. It's been over a year since this first started popping up and is obviously a big problem based on the number of trucks having this occur at such low mileage. IMO it's pitiful that they haven't narrowed this down yet. If they are intentionally holding out on this for some reason, it will only add to the discontent of owners. Things break, it happens, but if they are knowingly letting these fail at their convenience, man that would piss you off.

Personally, I have a 5500 built in January of 22 with a December of 21 transmission. Knock on wood, I hope I have a transmission that slipped in just before the issue started popping up, but who knows? I purchased the truck and installed a flatbed for carrying an Arctic Fox truck camper. I now have almost 12000 miles on it and 95% of the miles have been with the camper.

Until they release a VIN range for the trucks with the issue, this is causing a lot of heartburn for us. I have another 4000 mile trip planned in a few weeks, but I have to admit, this issue makes me uneasy every trip. Having a complete transmission failure a thousand miles from home while hauling a camper would not be fun. Hope for the best, I guess.

By the way, talking to my dealer's service department, they also claim to know no more than what's been stated in this thread.
I have similar set up, 22 Ram 5500 with CM flatbed, stable camper boxes and 2023 Arctic Fox 1150. My truck was built December of 21. Trans serial number is 1L-0658. Please let me know how do I find out the transmission build date.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I have similar set up, 22 Ram 5500 with CM flatbed, stable camper boxes and 2023 Arctic Fox 1150. My truck was built December of 21. Trans serial number is 1L-0658. Please let me know how do I find out the transmission build date.
Your transmission was manufactured very early December 2021. “1” = 2021, “L”=December, “0658” is the sequence number. I’ve seen sequence numbers into the 5000’s so based on that, 0-2500 is first half of the month, 2501-5000 is second half.

Your truck was built very early in the 2022 production run. Generally speaking, the earlier built trucks do not seem to be as plagued by this K1 failure issue.

sludge

Reaction score
Mine is 1L-2705. Hopefully December of 21 was a good month!

gprguy

Reaction score
@mbarber84 Brutal_HO mentioned you may be interested in my trans serial number. I have a build date of Dec 3rd 2022, 2 days after the supposed last bad date according to the TSB. My serial is 2K-2699 if it helps.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
picked up the truck today. They replaced the entire transmission and did the heater grid replay recall. I decided sice its a new transmission it needs to be treated like a new truck. That means 500 mile no towing, and not over 50 mph. We can't get the full 500 on it but we can get 300 before having to tow the 5th wheel. We took the truck form Greely, CO to Breckenridge, CO. Trans temp stayed around 163-170. I used cruise up and down the mountain, no exhaust break. Wanted to give it a good workout. Filled up in Breckenridge, CO and headed back to Greely, after an ice cream cone. I did hte same thing up and over the mountain, but used the tow haul to lock out over drive, and used exhaust break to get the trans to down shift into lower gears and kick the RPMs up. .it wasn't until we got past Denver that I noticed the fuel mileage. Usually the truck would get around 16, we were getting 21-23. Final number when we got back to the park was 23.5 Ill keep an eye on this as it was at 50 mph, but the other trans never got over 16 when I was breaking it in. Matter of fact the truck with the old transmission never got over 18 period, regardless of the speed. Has anyone else seen an increase in fuel milage after a complete transmission replacement? image is while on a down hill run after about 100 miles.

Glad you got it back.

You’ll be fine towing since the towing break-in is believe to deal with gears in the rear end.

Break in on a Cummins truck is for rear gears. You are at least 22K miles past your break in. ;-)

Best break in for the trans is to drive it like you're going to work it so it learns quicker.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
@mbarber84 Brutal_HO mentioned you may be interested in my trans serial number. I have a build date of Dec 3rd 2022, 2 days after the supposed last bad date according to the TSB. My serial is 2K-2699 if it helps.
I believe…..key word “believe”…..the “2K” Aisin’s are in the clear. There are quite a few trucks on my spreadsheet that have had replacement transmissions installed. Of those, 7 of them are “2K”’s with no reported issues after replacement. I don’t have enough data to say for sure, but I think the 2K units were the start of the revised snap ring assemblies. I’ll keep watching the data as it comes in. The unfortunate thing here, is that I don’t have complete data for every truck on the spreadsheet. That would very likely give me a much better snapshot as to what’s actually going on.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Well, if it's of any interest to you, I have a March 22 build with a 2B-3406 transmission with 40k trouble free miles on it now. If it's not interesting, just ignore it. If mine is bad, it has to be a record!

flan

Reaction score
Well, if it's of any interest to you, I have a March 22 build with a 2B-3406 transmission with 40k trouble free miles on it now. If it's not interesting, just ignore it. If mine is bad, it has to be a record!
Now you went ahead and done it. See you back in this thread in a couple days :p

joace

Reaction score
This weekend just finished a short 100 mil round trip camping, thanks god, that timer bomb didn't strand us, I'm tracking my trips to see how far we can go.
My track built in 08-2022, and tranny S/N is 2E-3255, I just finger crossed to hope the failure happens when not towing and close to a dealership, if it eventually comes, prefer early, so we don't hesitate to plan any cross country trips.

And planning to schedule the recall appointment for grid heater relay next week, will check with dealership whether they get any updated instructions to proactively perform TSB even without real failure.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
This weekend just finished a short 100 mil round trip camping, thanks god, that timer bomb didn't strand us, I'm tracking my trips to see how far we can go.
My track built in 08-2022, and tranny S/N is 2E-3255, I just finger crossed to hope the failure happens when not towing and close to a dealership, if it eventually comes, prefer early, so we don't hesitate to plan any cross country trips.

And planning to schedule the recall appointment for grid heater relay next week, will check with dealership whether they get any updated instructions to proactively perform TSB even without real failure.
I find it very interesting that you have an August-built truck with a May-manufactured transmission in it. Usually the pair is at most one month apart, with the transmission being manufactured a month prior to the truck assembly. I would have expected your truck to have either a “2G” or “2H” serial code.

joace

Reaction score
I find it very interesting that you have an August-built truck with a May-manufactured transmission in it. Usually the pair is at most one month apart, with the transmission being manufactured a month prior to the truck assembly. I would have expected your truck to have either a “2G” or “2H” serial code.
Not sure how RAM plans and schedules their production line, according to current tracking list, the failure does span the wide range of tran build date, including mine, your efforts are really appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread