Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Agreed!
My dealer told me there is nothing they will do until there is a check engine light and DTC or it breaks down on the road...
with that being said to be fair to the rest of us why these hell are they checking brand new on the lot trucks with no DTCs??
They are not checking them. They know the affected VINs of unsold units. They are replacing them, no need to check. Which tells me they know one of the time frames of affected units.

RAM authorized a brand new transmission for my truck, but is still replacing the K1 clutch in it.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
They are not checking them. They know the affected VINs of unsold units. They are replacing them, no need to check. Which tells me they know one of the time frames of affected units.

RAM authorized a brand new transmission for my truck, but is still replacing the K1 clutch in it.
By “checking” them, I believe he meant running the unsold trucks VIN through DealerCONNECT to see if RSU 23-065 applies. If it does, and the truck gets red flagged, they order the parts and conduct the TSB repair, replacing the K1 assembly. This is all outlined in the revised bulletin released March 8th 2023. IMG_2863.jpeg
IMG_2588.jpeg

Bow & Arrows

Reaction score
Hello again, if I could chime in,
As I said yesterday, I took my 2022 3500HD in with 420 miles just for a simple oil change 6/24/23 after the break in period before I went out of town.
While the service writer in Monrovia was writing it up, he said there were some issues with the trans, he needed to flash the computer.
He was unclear what the issue was at that time.
He called me maybe an hour later and said they needed to pull the trans.
I was pissed, I said don't do anything.
He said if they don't do it, and it fails, it may not be covered in the future.
I did some research, found your Forum and some other info, and called Ram Care,
I called back and said, do what you need to do.
I had no issues when I dropped it off, it drove great, I had no complaints about my truck.
Ram Care suggested that the dealer in Van Nuys that sold me the truck 5/1/23 should loan me a truck.
I called my salesman, he almost immediately said I have a Wagoneer for you, come get it.
My service writer said they had the parts and it should take 2 or 3 days.
6/30/23 I went and checked on it, took some photos (parts everywhere!!},
I spoke to my service writer and my mechanic,
I don't think they have dealt with this before, and neither have I.
I'm pissed, but I'm glad that it did not fail on me,
The mechanic said that my truck would be done today, He needs his hoist back.
I'm out of town untill Wed, we will see what happens?
Also,
I told the service writer that a coworker friend of mine bought a new 2023 3500HD 6 months ago, it has 11k miles on it, He has no complaints about it,
He said have him call me with the VIN and I can tell him if his truck needs the trans fixed.

Attachments

• 20230630_171558.jpg
    20230630_171558.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230630_171701.jpg
    20230630_171701.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 23

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello again, if I could chime in,
As I said yesterday, I took my 2022 3500HD in with 420 miles just for a simple oil change 6/24/23 after the break in period before I went out of town.
While the service writer in Monrovia was writing it up, he said there were some issues with the trans, he needed to flash the computer.
He was unclear what the issue was at that time.
He called me maybe an hour later and said they needed to pull the trans.
I was pissed, I said don't do anything.
He said if they don't do it, and it fails, it may not be covered in the future.
I did some research, found your Forum and some other info, and called Ram Care,
I called back and said, do what you need to do.
I had no issues when I dropped it off, it drove great, I had no complaints about my truck.
Ram Care suggested that the dealer in Van Nuys that sold me the truck 5/1/23 should loan me a truck.
I called my salesman, he almost immediately said I have a Wagoneer for you, come get it.
My service writer said they had the parts and it should take 2 or 3 days.
6/30/23 I went and checked on it, took some photos (parts everywhere!!},
I spoke to my service writer and my mechanic,
I don't think they have dealt with this before, and neither have I.
I'm pissed, but I'm glad that it did not fail on me,
The mechanic said that my truck would be done today, He needs his hoist back.
I'm out of town untill Wed, we will see what happens?
Also,
I told the service writer that a coworker friend of mine bought a new 2023 3500HD 6 months ago, it has 11k miles on it, He has no complaints about it,
He said have him call me with the VIN and I can tell him if his truck needs the trans fixed.
Correct. That’s because the truck should have been addressed before it was sold to you.

Bow & Arrows

Reaction score
I agree, 100%
How can they release, sell, these trucks knowing that there is a huge chance of trans failure?
My Salesman at Van Nuys says that they checked, and only found 1 "recall" and fixed it,
(The dip stick thing, which I need to confirm, someone mentioned that should not have applied to my truck)

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, 100%
How can they release, sell, these trucks knowing that there is a huge chance of trans failure?
My Salesman at Van Nuys says that they checked, and only found 1 "recall" and fixed it,
(The dip stick thing, which I need to confirm, someone mentioned that should not have applied to my truck)
I’ve spoken to several owners who recently went through the failure. More than a few of them said the dealer never mentioned anything about the RSU check or the truck being repaired preemptively. In the background, they have given me their VIN’s and I’ve had them cross checked against the RSU. Some of the ones that failed did get flagged for the RSU, while others did not.

Bow & Arrows

Reaction score
I appreciate all the info and research from you guys,
you can add me to your chart if it will help,
and my VIN is 3C6-3RRJL3NG-426534

1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable) - n/a

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date)) - at dealership

3. Date you purchased the truck - 5/21/23, (picked it up 5/24/23 with 27 miles after dealer prep)

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure - did not fail, at first oil change - 420 miles, they advised to do the trans repair

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345" - at dealership

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable) - not replacing entire trans

7. Were you towing at the time of failure? - did not fail

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work? - n/a

9. Did reverse work? - n/a

10. What date did the transmission fail? - did not fail

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair? - Not yet, maybe 7/5/23 ?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts? - repairing non-failed trans with new parts

sludge

Reaction score
Just adding my opinion. I really think Ram is dropping the ball on how they are handling this issue. It's been over a year since this first started popping up and is obviously a big problem based on the number of trucks having this occur at such low mileage. IMO it's pitiful that they haven't narrowed this down yet. If they are intentionally holding out on this for some reason, it will only add to the discontent of owners. Things break, it happens, but if they are knowingly letting these fail at their convenience, man that would piss you off.

Personally, I have a 5500 built in January of 22 with a December of 21 transmission. Knock on wood, I hope I have a transmission that slipped in just before the issue started popping up, but who knows? I purchased the truck and installed a flatbed for carrying an Arctic Fox truck camper. I now have almost 12000 miles on it and 95% of the miles have been with the camper.

Until they release a VIN range for the trucks with the issue, this is causing a lot of heartburn for us. I have another 4000 mile trip planned in a few weeks, but I have to admit, this issue makes me uneasy every trip. Having a complete transmission failure a thousand miles from home while hauling a camper would not be fun. Hope for the best, I guess.

By the way, talking to my dealer's service department, they also claim to know no more than what's been stated in this thread.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Just adding my opinion. I really think Ram is dropping the ball on how they are handling this issue. It's been over a year since this first started popping up and is obviously a big problem based on the number of trucks having this occur at such low mileage. IMO it's pitiful that they haven't narrowed this down yet. If they are intentionally holding out on this for some reason, it will only add to the discontent of owners. Things break, it happens, but if they are knowingly letting these fail at their convenience, man that would piss you off.

Personally, I have a 5500 built in January of 22 with a December of 21 transmission. Knock on wood, I hope I have a transmission that slipped in just before the issue started popping up, but who knows? I purchased the truck and installed a flatbed for carrying an Arctic Fox truck camper. I now have almost 12000 miles on it and 95% of the miles have been with the camper.

Until they release a VIN range for the trucks with the issue, this is causing a lot of heartburn for us. I have another 4000 mile trip planned in a few weeks, but I have to admit, this issue makes me uneasy every trip. Having a complete transmission failure a thousand miles from home while hauling a camper would not be fun. Hope for the best, I guess.

By the way, talking to my dealer's service department, they also claim to know no more than what's been stated in this thread.
I agree with you. But there are rumors RAM is about to do to Aisin as Ford did to International. Aisin may be the one not paying back warranty claims. I have also heard, not reliable, that RAM is dropping Aisin in 24 or 25 for Allison. the 6.7 and allison are already used in school busses.

I know there are 7 distract warranty managers. one for each US district. If you can get one of them on the phone, maybe they can get you more information. I know for a fact they have engineers in and out of these dealers ever time a transmission shows up dead. They disassemble them and study each one. From talking to the warranty manager in the Denver district, it seems like there is more to the story than a lose snap ring.

viper428

Reaction score
Case closed for me! The truck was fixed and returned to me on 25 May. The dealership rebuilt the transmission instead of replacing it. The transmission Serial Number is 2J-0028. I elected to not get a Chrysler funded rental car, but Chrysler did just paid out for my monthly car payment while the truck was down. They also paid to cover a couple hundred dollar expense I couldn't avoid with the truck down and with no rental substitute - still cheaper for them than paying for an equivalent rental. Thank you everyone here for the help!

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Case closed for me! The truck was fixed and returned to me on 25 May. The dealership rebuilt the transmission instead of replacing it. The transmission Serial Number is 2J-0028. I elected to not get a Chrysler funded rental car, but Chrysler did just paid out for my monthly car payment while the truck was down. They also paid to cover a couple hundred dollar expense I couldn't avoid with the truck down and with no rental substitute - still cheaper for them than paying for an equivalent rental. Thank you everyone here for the help!
Great to hear! I will get the updated information on the spreadsheet. Let me know if you have any issues with the transmission in the future. Thanks for updating!

CJM1123

Reaction score
Great to hear! I will get the updated information on the spreadsheet. Let me know if you have any issues with the transmission in the future. Thanks for updating!
Just got my truck back as well. The new trans showed up the next day.

The old trans serial number was: 2I-3688
New trans serial number: 3E-3990

Stellantis is offering a settlement for the amount of time my truck was down. Hopefully they will take care of everyone else as well!

lordbond

Reaction score
MY truck went into the dealership on Wednesday. First dealership I took it too said he couldn't diagnose it for a few weeks. After it was there for a week RAM Care was able to find another dealer that could work on it sooner. Had to pay to have the truck towed to the new dealer. Service manager called me and said he knows exactly what the issue is and that he has the parts in stock. He said my truck should be finished the middle to end of next week. Lets hope that my transmission is repairable and this fixes the issue. I don't want to be on another trip and have this happen again. It cost me around $4k this time and I was only 500 miles away from home. My truck only has 6169 miles on it and purchased in February.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
MY truck went into the dealership on Wednesday. First dealership I took it too said he couldn't diagnose it for a few weeks. After it was there for a week RAM Care was able to find another dealer that could work on it sooner. Had to pay to have the truck towed to the new dealer. Service manager called me and said he knows exactly what the issue is and that he has the parts in stock. He said my truck should be finished the middle to end of next week. Lets hope that my transmission is repairable and this fixes the issue. I don't want to be on another trip and have this happen again. It cost me around $4k this time and I was only 500 miles away from home. My truck only has 6169 miles on it and purchased in February.
I’m assuming they confirmed it was the K1 snap ring?

lordbond

Reaction score
I can add you. Just need the following information (or as much as you can provide right now, and then update more later)
1. Date you ordered the truck - N/A

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date)) - At dealer

3. Date you purchased the truck - 2/4/23

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure - 6169.2

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345" - At dealer

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)

7. Were you towing at the time of failure? - No

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work? - No

9. Did reverse work? -Yes

10. What date did the transmission fail? - 6/16/23

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair? - Still there

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts? - Still being worked on

@mbarber84

lordbond

Reaction score
I’m assuming they confirmed it was the K1 snap ring?
The dealer received my truck @8:43am on 7/5/23. Dealer called me @ 10:43am and told me he knew what was wrong with my truck and he had the parts in stock. Today, Friday 7/7/23 @ 1:40pm dealer called me and said my truck was fixed. The work that was done was removed the transmission and replaced the K1 clutch/Input shaft assembly.

They mention 21-00-0A-91 4.60, 21-00-0A-61 0.30, 21-00-01-69 0.60, 21-00-0A-60 1.20. That might be time worked, not sure.

The technician removed skid plates, DEF tank, Transfer case and transmission. Reassembled everything and road tested. Total hours 6.7 for the job. The first dealer I took it to had it for 2 weeks and told me they wouldn't have time to look at it for another 2 weeks. That is why I paid to have the vehicle towed to a different dealer. RAM roadside assistance made me pay both times to have it towed to the two dealers.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
@mbarber84
Old transmission serial number. 2F-4731
New transmission serial number 3E-1064
Failure mileage. 20,667

Ram sent a new transmission to the dealer today, they got it installed. They have to road test it Monday. repair should be complete as of Monday

IMG-5743.jpgIMG-8046.jpg

Blythkd1

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread