Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
so another update for the thread im already on the list entry 97

yesterday (june 2) i received a phone call from the dealer and the tsb kit was installed. truck was put back together and put in reverse…no issues. then they went to put it in forward. all neutrals. they are now waiting to here back from engineering on a plan forward.

i also got bumped up to a gas f350 rental in may
Sounds like they either missed something in the initial diagnosis or made an error of some sort during reassembly. You wouldn’t be the first. Keep me updated! You may end up with a complete new transmission

LSssssss

Reaction score
While this is a step in the right direction, I don’t think this will resolve much. When the snap ring fails, it takes the transmission out. This is a document to help technicians identify causes of the failure and do diagnostics. There’s still no way to know if your truck has the faulty snap ring unless they can pinpoint specific sequence numbers based on build information. I still think this is ultimately going to end in a recall. It’s important to note that the TSB extends in to 2023 model year trucks so to me, that means they’re still trying to identify which trucks are effected.
We have a 2022 Ram 3500 with 14k miles, was pulling our horse trailer with horses and to say it felt like and sounded like we hit a cratwler in the road is an understatement. Had to have truck towed and they called us this morning to say this had happened. My question would be what else did it mess up?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
We have a 2022 Ram 3500 with 14k miles, was pulling our horse trailer with horses and to say it felt like and sounded like we hit a cratwler in the road is an understatement. Had to have truck towed and they called us this morning to say this had happened. My question would be what else did it mess up?
Could be any amount of damage. Each failure is a little different from what I’ve learned. Did your dealer confirm it’s the K1 snap ring failure?

bkphoto

Reaction score
Add me to the list.

Date you ordered it: 2/15/22
Date of manufacture: Mid 22?
Date purchased: 9/14/22
Miles at the time of failure: Aprox. 2600 miles
Towing when it failed? No.
Lost forward gears? No. Still drove forward in limp mode but very clunky and big bangs if it did shift. Luckily I was near home when it all went down.
Reverse still worked? Yes but very hard bang when shifting into reverse.
Date transmission failed? 5/27/23
Serial number of failed transmission: Do not have at the moment
Serial number of replacement transmission: No info. They are saying all parts are back ordered since Feb at my dealer.

bkphoto

Reaction score
Add me to the list.

Lost forward gears? No. Still drove forward in limp mode but very clunky and big bangs if it did shift. Luckily I was near home when it all went down.
Serial number of replacement transmission: No info. They are saying all parts are back ordered since Feb at my dealer.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Add me to the list.

I just added you to the spreadsheet. Please keep me updated when you can. Sounds like the K1 snap ring. Has your dealer confirmed this yet?

Also, please get me your trucks “date of manufacture” and the transmission serial number of at all possible as these are the most important for tracking this problem.
Date of manufacture is on the driver door jam sticker. Serial number for transmission is on a blue stamped metal tag on the side of the transmission itself. It’ll be six characters like “2B-1234”

bkphoto

Reaction score
I just added you to the spreadsheet. Please keep me updated when you can. Sounds like the K1 snap ring. Has your dealer confirmed this yet?

Also, please get me your trucks “date of manufacture” and the transmission serial number of at all possible as these are the most important for tracking this problem.
Date of manufacture is on the driver door jam sticker. Serial number for transmission is on a blue stamped metal tag on the side of the transmission itself. It’ll be six characters like “2B-1234”
yes they confirmed. I will call them and get those for you.

bkphoto

Reaction score
I was just told these are the parts that are on order and of course they are back ordered.
Part: 68637534AA :CLUTCHKIT: AUTOMATIC TRANSMI
Part: 6511777AA :BOLT: HEX HEAD

Can someone conform that the Part: 68637534AA :CLUTCHKIT includes all the parts that are listed in that TSB document?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just told these are the parts that are on order and of course they are back ordered.
Part: 68637534AA :CLUTCHKIT: AUTOMATIC TRANSMI
Part: 6511777AA :BOLT: HEX HEAD

Can someone conform that the Part: 68637534AA :CLUTCHKIT includes all the parts that are listed in that TSB document?
The clutch kit is just a faster way of repairing the issue. It contains all of the necessary parts already pre assembled and ready to drop in. They still have to inspect all other components inside for damage and repair anything that is in addition to the clutch kit.

neutroniens

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. You’re not the first one to have an unsuccessful TSB repair. You’re better off with a whole new complete transmission anyway. It should be a 2023 manufactured unit. When you get it back, check the serial number on the new one. It should start with a “3”. My guess would be “3D” or “3E”
Picked up the truck today 6/9/23 new transmission installed. 3D-2665

Last edited:

Ram It!

Reaction score
Picked up the truck today 6/9/23 new transmission installed. 3D-2665
Add mine to the list
2022 3500 4x4 crew cab
Build date:8/22
Mileage:3882
Vin#3C63R3DL5NG338707
Failed while driving 20mph on dirt road by Greer Arizona
No trailer. 4 hrs from home
Will get Data tag info on transmission

Ram It!

Reaction score
Add mine to the list
2022 3500 4x4 crew cab
Vin#3C63R3DL5NG338707
Moves slow in drive for engine RPM
HAS REVERSE

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Add mine to the list
2022 3500 4x4 crew cab
Vin#3C63R3DL5NG338707
Will do. Please keep me updated as you get more info. Turn around time for repairs has been improving some.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Moves slow in drive for engine RPM
HAS REVERSE
This is likely because it’s only able to utilize 5th and 6th gear. When the snap ring fails, clutches for 1st through 4th are no longer held in position and will not function. The transmission will attempt to use 5th but you’ll have limited power, speed, and torque. If reverse is working fine, it’s very likely this is the K1 failure. Did you get any error messages on the dashboard about 4wd being unavailable, or any check engine lights / DTC’s?

Ram It!

Reaction score
This is likely because it’s only able to utilize 5th and 6th gear. When the snap ring fails, clutches for 1st through 4th are no longer held in position and will not function. The transmission will attempt to use 5th but you’ll have limited power, speed, and torque. If reverse is working fine, it’s very likely this is the K1 failure. Did you get any error messages on the dashboard about 4wd being unavailable, or any check engine lights / DTC’s?
Check engine light, chimes, funny thing is would barely move in 2WD put it 4wd drove it back to the cabin about 5 miles wasn’t right but made it back

jmeyer94

Reaction score
Newbie question here. I just took delivery of a new Ram 2500 Cummins with the 68RFE Transmission. Is this the same transmission that everyone is having trouble with?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Newbie question here. I just took delivery of a new Ram 2500 Cummins with the 68RFE Transmission. Is this the same transmission that everyone is having trouble with?
The 68RFE does Not have the K1 snap ring problem being discussed in this thread. That issue is related only the the Aisin AS69RC transmission The 68RFE does have, and has had, its own history of issues. There’s probably more than a few threads on that transmission here that will give you a ton of insight.

jmeyer94

Reaction score
Thanks...curious but the transmission discussed on this thread is that tranny on the High Out Cummins? Just wondering what trucks get those transmissions?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks...curious but the transmission discussed on this thread is that tranny on the High Out Cummins? Just wondering what trucks get those transmissions?

Yes, all diesel C&C’s/HO’s get the AS69RC built by Aisin and the SO’s get the 68RFE built by Chrysler.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread