Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 6.7 Cummins DEF Fluid and regens

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I recently tried something different in my driving style lately. My drive to work is only 4.5 miles for a total of 9 miles. The highest speed limit is 55 mph for only a 1/4 mile, my average speed is 40mph. I always warm up the truck before I drive it, for at least the 10 min period of the remote start timer, sometimes longer. Anyway I used to drive in 4th gear because the RPM's are to low, in my opinion, so I like 1500 rpm for an average. I recently just let the trans run at whatever gear its want to be in and no EB. The DPF monitor level seems to fill slower, it was going into a regen once a week as an average. I'm now on my third week with the monitor at the first notch.

I think the CTD needs to run at higher rpms, 1800 rpms for power/cruise ratio, to help in the torque management for the most part. In the city when running at 1500 rpm and you need to get on it for driving strategy, getting in the right lane when you are losing a lane or avoiding the right turn lane only. Your response with the throttle is a lot quicker when at higher rpm's.

sstoner911

Reaction score
I use about 2.5 gallons every 1000 miles towing. Never really tracked it unloaded but right now I have maybe 500 miles and used 1/4 tank of DEF.

Looking at the DPF screen is like watching paint dry.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I use about 2.5 gallons every 1000 miles towing. Never really tracked it unloaded but right now I have maybe 500 miles and used 1/4 tank of DEF.

Looking at the DPF screen is like watching paint dry.
What are you towing? I just drove across the US (1800 miles one way) with my 5ver and went through three 2.5 DEF bottles.

sstoner911

Reaction score
What are you towing? I just drove across the US (1800 miles one way) with my 5ver and went through three 2.5 DEF bottles.
I tow a travel trailer at 10K. I towed a 5th wheel which was 16K, and it ate probably a jug and half of DEF over 1000 miles - but there was a lot of uphill grades going out of California then in to Northern Arizona

PRS

Reaction score
Just did a 1500 mile trip in western Colorado and northeast Utah pulling an 18k 5th wheel. Mixture of high passes and normal Colorado terrain. Averaged 2.5% DEF to fuel use. We are post HPFP recall.

thecastle

Reaction score
I used about 8 gallons of DEF round trip from Houston->Colorado Springs towing. I think I used approximately 240 gallons of diesel in the 2056 mile round trip, so about 3% DEF to diesel. Just estimates based on indicated fuel economy of 8.6 mpg for the trip. The truck was full of wifi gear and the trailer is a 23ft travel trailer that weighs about 6000lbs.

kennelpj

Reaction score
I recently tried something different in my driving style lately. My drive to work is only 4.5 miles for a total of 9 miles. The highest speed limit is 55 mph for only a 1/4 mile, my average speed is 40mph. I always warm up the truck before I drive it, for at least the 10 min period of the remote start timer, sometimes longer. Anyway I used to drive in 4th gear because the RPM's are to low, in my opinion, so I like 1500 rpm for an average. I recently just let the trans run at whatever gear its want to be in and no EB. The DPF monitor level seems to fill slower, it was going into a regen once a week as an average. I'm now on my third week with the monitor at the first notch.

I think the CTD needs to run at higher rpms, 1800 rpms for power/cruise ratio, to help in the torque management for the most part. In the city when running at 1500 rpm and you need to get on it for driving strategy, getting in the right lane when you are losing a lane or avoiding the right turn lane only. Your response with the throttle is a lot quicker when at higher rpm's.
My experience has been similar. I WFH most of the time, so my weekly driving usually consists of running errands during the week with short trips, and stretch its legs on the weekends. Usually regen before hitting 150 miles if only city driving and the regen still takes approx 20 min even if off the highway. I'll usually drive in 4th or 5th gear until my oil temps are 185+. Seems like it will take a while to get the first indication on my DPF screen, but once its there i'll just from 1/8 to 1/2 pretty quick. I have about 12k miles, maybe 320 hours, 50-60 are at idle.

I also use hot shots secret EDT each fill up, and diesel extreme as directed, for what that's worth

Users who are viewing this thread