Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 2500 Receiver Hitch Shank Size?

DougB

Reaction score
Okay. So we’re going with 2,5”? Going once….going twice….

My soon to be 2022 2500 has the rear air, not sure what or if that makes a difference in the scheme of things measurement wise?

I’ll be towing a 2022 30’ Airstream Flying Cloud.

I’m looking at the Weigh Safe weight distribution hitch. Any thoughts?

I’m not a rookie tower, but don’t have a ton of experience towing travel trailers. Had a 30’ Keystone about 12 years ago for a year. Pulled a couple other campers here and there over the years but haven’t had to put together a tow system for a very long time. So basically starting from scratch.

Point being I’m open to suggestions.

I know the Airstreams ride low so I’m guessing I should go with the 8” drop”? Is there a down side to getting an 8” drop of only 6” would be needed?
I have an Equalizer for my 36’ Rockwood. It’s fine for what I’ve done so far locally. Noisy in turns but works well. Have the extended shank (2” size for the ‘06) so I can lower my tailgate. I’m going to try it with the new truck and see if it’ll work but I suspect it won’t have enough drop. If not I’ll check out the Weigh Safe one since it comes in 2.5” so don’t need adapter, is long enough to allow tailgate to be lowered, and offers 6” or 8” drop.

There’s a good video on YT by wandering weekends comparing several WDHs.

whitexc

Reaction score
I have an Equalizer for my 36’ Rockwood. It’s fine for what I’ve done so far locally. Noisy in turns but works well. Have the extended shank (2” size for the ‘06) so I can lower my tailgate. I’m going to try it with the new truck and see if it’ll work but I suspect it won’t have enough drop. If not I’ll check out the Weigh Safe one since it comes in 2.5” so don’t need adapter, is long enough to allow tailgate to be lowered, and offers 6” or 8” drop.

Good call on the extended shank. I went that route with the Bulletproof unit I have with their WDH adapter and it is so nice to not have to worry about the tailgate.

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score

Thanks. Yea. Saw that. The written reviews online are sparse. There are people poo pooing it, but those people also haven’t used it so I take their opinion with a grain of salt.

The guy on you tube seemed pretty honest about all his hitch reviews and he loved it. He liked the pro pride more, but that’s also a $3000 hitch. BUT most of these YouTube guys get this stuff for free and no how impartial they say the are I’m still always on the skeptical side.

That being said the weigh safe still is the most interesting hitch of all the legit competitors available right now.

mcspeed

Reaction score
I run a weigh safe 180 hitch on my truck. 2.5” shank with 8” drop. Easy height adjustment for pulling g different trailers. Comes with 2” and 2 5/16 balls…..just flip it over.

Design looks much more robust than competitors. 20,000 rating if I remember correctly. Ball portion can be moved to behind the shank when not towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
There are a couple of good hitch discussions on the forum.

NewRamMan

Reaction score
Does the 2022 Ram 2500 come with the 2” reducer, and if so, where is it stored?

jetrinka

Reaction score
From what I’ve heard they are supposed to. Under the rear seat. Mine never came with one. I just bought a 2.5” hitch instead

DougB

Reaction score
Does the 2022 Ram 2500 come with the 2” reducer, and if so, where is it stored?
Yes, it’s included. Not sure where factory stores it during transit. I had it on my checklist so the dealer had it out already.

NewRamMan

Reaction score
Found it under rear seat compartment on driver‘s side under the grill cover. Thanks all for the help

Users who are viewing this thread