Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 2500 Receiver Hitch Shank Size?

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Can someone please definitively tell me what size the shank is on the 2022 Ram 2500?

Truck due in with in the next week or so.

This is my first 2500 and first diesel.

I have Googled and searched the forum and it's a surprisingly elusive answer.

Seems most people online say it's a 2.5" shank associated with a Class V hitch on the 2500's. And it comes with a 2" adapter.

Texted a guy at the dealer today and he told me it's a 3" shank with a 2.5" adapter.

WTH?!?!?!

I'm ordering a hitch for my new airstream and would like to order the correct size the first time.

Spanks.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Can someone please definitively tell me what size the shank is on the 2022 Ram 2500?

Truck due in with in the next week or so.

This is my first 2500 and first diesel.

I have Googled and searched the forum and it's a surprisingly elusive answer.

Seems most people online say it's a 2.5" shank associated with a Class V hitch on the 2500's. And it comes with a 2" adapter.

Texted a guy at the dealer today and he told me it's a 3" shank with a 2.5" adapter.

WTH?!?!?!

I'm ordering a hitch for my new airstream and would like to order the correct size the first time.

Spanks.

Wait, so that guy is passing 2.5 inches off as 3 inches?

whitexc

Reaction score
Next you shall ask what drop. That is dependent on what you tow, plans for the truck (tires, lift, etc) and how much you want to spend. 8" drop from Bulletproof here and very happy with it.

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device

DougB

Reaction score
Next you shall ask what drop. That is dependent on what you tow, plans for the truck (tires, lift, etc) and how much you want to spend. 8" drop from Bulletproof here and very happy with it.

Sent from my semi-smart telephonic device
I’m waiting for mine to see if I need 6” or 8”. Mine will remain stock so I’m thinking 6” is probably fine for a car hauler and WDH for travel trailer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Ford is the only one to my knowledge who uses a 3” shank which is useless considering its basically the same hitch rating

iflyskyhigh

Reaction score
Okay. So we’re going with 2,5”? Going once….going twice….

My soon to be 2022 2500 has the rear air, not sure what or if that makes a difference in the scheme of things measurement wise?

I’ll be towing a 2022 30’ Airstream Flying Cloud.

I’m looking at the Weigh Safe weight distribution hitch. Any thoughts?

I’m not a rookie tower, but don’t have a ton of experience towing travel trailers. Had a 30’ Keystone about 12 years ago for a year. Pulled a couple other campers here and there over the years but haven’t had to put together a tow system for a very long time. So basically starting from scratch.

Point being I’m open to suggestions.

I know the Airstreams ride low so I’m guessing I should go with the 8” drop”? Is there a down side to getting an 8” drop of only 6” would be needed?

Users who are viewing this thread