Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
While alone in the desert a few months ago I began thinking about King of the Hammers and how over the past decade I have always wanted to attend. Although I was aware that the event was held in Johnson Valley, California, I was not sure what time of the year, so I promised myself to check as soon as I had cellular service again. A day or so later I had a sniff of weak service at a high elevation and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that KoH would be taking place the last few months in January this year, and there was a high probability I would be only a few hours away. I looked up and smiled to Heaven, thanked the Lord for another amazing adventure, and ordered my ticket!

Men - I have been here at KoH for the past week and would encourage all to join me as the big races are this Friday and Saturday. Estimates suggest there are already 60-80,000 fun loving folks around me camping on BLM land in the valley, and everyone is having fun. With many more adventurers and fans arriving daily, the crowd is expected to surpass 100,000 for the weekend. King of the Hammers is largely centered on an interesting hybrid style of desert racing which includes 100+ mph blasts through the desert, and extreme rock-crawling through areas with names such as Backdoor, Chocolate Thunder, Jackhammer, Sledgehammer, Wrecking Ball, etc.

As others have suggested, KoH is a bizarre combination of the old days of Burning Man and Mad Max with a bit of carefree, reckless, and self-destructive dose Americana spicing it up!!!

Below is a map of the 200-mile Race of Kings and down in the center, slightly off to the left, is Hammertown.
View attachment 68658

Hammertown is the somewhat mythical desert oasis where all things radical and mechanical assemble to spend a few weeks together. Manufacturers include big names like Ford and Toyota, specialty companies like Currie Enterprises, Kenda tires, Optima batteries, and King Shocks. It's like a candy store for big boys who like very cool toys. Side-by-side manufacturers such as Can-Am and Polaris offer free test rides while other companies such as Monster provide an amazing shaded viewing area at the start/finish line with free energy drinks. If you are wondering why you are not here, so am I - there is still time for you to arrive before the big races in a few days.

Some may have noticed the screenshots above and below are from OnX Offroad and not my normal Gaia GPS navigation software. As many of you know, I am always searching for the optimum solutions for my particular style of overland adventure and although I currently am using some of the finest gear available, I am always looking for better pieces, and am willing to consider and experiment with others. OnX was here, and Gaia was not. On top of that, OnX had all of the navigation info for Hammertown and the Race of Kings available for free. After meeting with OnX and discussing their current product line I was very happy to hear that like Gaia, their program would now integrate with Android Auto so I am able to display the map and navigation information on my factory RAM 8.4" Uconnect touch-screen. Decision made, order placed.
View attachment 68659

One of the more interesting parts I was able to examine was this Jesse Haines Fabrication portal set on display at Branik Motorsports. These are an improved portal axle hub based off the original HMMWV design used for the military. It was fun to hang around with the guys at Branik and learn more about axle modifications such as this.
View attachment 68660

Since I was attending as a spectator and not a competitor, my pass would not permit me to explore the pits to interact with the teams and manufacturers supporting them. A few people who I had worked with previously were able to make some changes and presto, I was now in the pits seeing all sorts of cool things and talking to the men who make it all happen. Here is an interesting motorcycle rolling on some massive Mickey Thompson tires.
View attachment 68661

I bumped into the team at Sherpa Motorsports and was invited to an event later that same evening. Between the time I departed and arrived again, they had blown a motor, sourced a replacement, removed the destroyed one, and had the replacement installed and were connecting the last few wires. All this while entertaining myself and others with a tour and food from an amazing overland chef. I wish Sherpa the very best and had a great time with the guys. Thank you Sherp!
View attachment 68662

For those interested - here is an interior shot off one of their rigs - all business in here folks!

Another group who I met with, and was invited to a VIP event, were the folks from King Off-Road Racing Shocks. I didn't bring my camera to the event since I really wanted to focus my time and energy on meeting other race teams and key manufacturers, to listen and learn. I must say, the professionalism at King was at the highest level and I had a great time. It was an open bar combined with the absolute best tacos I have ever had outside of Mexico. I was able to sit down at the table and talk with iconic men that have been competing here at KoH since the earliest days. We shared stories and smiled at the endless similarities between all forms of racing regarding competition, compassion, sportsmanship, and deadly duels on the track. So many great folks everywhere I turned.
View attachment 68663

When the sun goes down, many head to the hills to spectate, and watch others spectators compete in informal competitions. The shots below were at Chocolate Thunder and represents a very small piece of a much larger pie. If I would have zoomed out the picture would have been difficult to understand but there were hundreds of vehicles attempting the climb and countless thousands of spectators lining the rocky hills to the side. In short, it was complete mayhem with engines revving to red line, fans screaming and throwing beer cans, vehicles crashing into and crawling over each other. This was pure and undiluted Americana and it happens every night on multiple hills around Hammertown.
View attachment 68664

In this scene, a girl jumped out of the blue truck and hopped up onto the surround rock to confront a male spectator who had thrown something into the rig and apparently struck her. Once the offender was identified, she hauled back and punched him so hard in the face he collapsed and tumbled down the rock - the crowd went wild. She and her boyfriend hopped back into the truck, revved the engine, and lurched up over the obstacle spitting smoke, sand, and rock.
View attachment 68665

In this scene - a truck had been crawling up an obstacle and after being unsuccessful in several attempts, the crowd began to boo and taunt the driver, shining flashlight into his eyes and dazzling him with lazers to distract him. It appeared the driver became frustrated and really put the hammer down which resulted in his truck pointing to the sky and rolling over. I'm not sure if he was strapped in but when he crawled out it was obvious he was in a fight or flight scenario where his brain stopped working while his arms and legs took over like an unthinking animal - he crawled out over top of his wife and collapsed to the ground just outside the truck. The look on his face was unforgettable. Immediately, the crowd organized a rescue exercise and within a few more minutes the truck was successfully being recovered by anonymous fans.
View attachment 68666

Here is my closing shot for now of the truck being driven out by a random bystander. At King of the Hammers, you are simultaneously able to view the most intense competition where lives are literally at stake, just a few feet in front of you, while at the same time, watching people who have never met or spoken with each other, risk their lives to perform dirty, dangerous, and potentially deadly acts of compassion. Here are two short videos (one and two) that provide some additional insight into just what goes on here in Johnson Valley.

I encourage you to come to Hammertown, hang out with super-cool people, and for once in your life, see things that others have only dreamed of seeing.
View attachment 68667
That motorcycle belongs to “ grindhardplumbing “ searchable on YouTube or insta

flan

Reaction score
Interesting event. The part where the lasers and flashlights came out was kind of disheartening. One would think the community would come together and help the guy pick a line instead of taunt, but I’ve been witness to mob mentality at large motor vehicle events in the past and once derailed that’s a train that’s tough to get back on the tracks.

mryak

Reaction score
Hey ramblinChet, just discovered your adventures. Then after reading for an hour to see you at KOH really made me think this guy is living right!
I’m building a ‘23 RAM 3500 for overlanding. Been offroad jeeping for 35 yrs, even raced KOH in ‘16. So far I’ve installed a winch bumper, warn 16.5, Carli 2.5 pintop lift and 37-12.5-20 Nitto Trail Graplers. The stock 8’ bed comes of next replaced with an aluminum flatbed. My pop up camper goes on the bed, I’ll build out the side storage boxes soon as I finish building the press brake to be used for bending the aluminum.
I’m retired, no kids and plan on wandering mainly in the west, living in northern Colorado now.
You have my full admiration! Thanks for all you have shared with your posts. Maybe some day in the middle of nowhere we’ll cross paths.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Hey ramblinChet, just discovered your adventures. Then after reading for an hour to see you at KOH really made me think this guy is living right!
I’m building a ‘23 RAM 3500 for overlanding. Been offroad jeeping for 35 yrs, even raced KOH in ‘16. So far I’ve installed a winch bumper, warn 16.5, Carli 2.5 pintop lift and 37-12.5-20 Nitto Trail Graplers. The stock 8’ bed comes of next replaced with an aluminum flatbed. My pop up camper goes on the bed, I’ll build out the side storage boxes soon as I finish building the press brake to be used for bending the aluminum.
I’m retired, no kids and plan on wandering mainly in the west, living in northern Colorado now.
You have my full admiration! Thanks for all you have shared with your posts. Maybe some day in the middle of nowhere we’ll cross paths.

I really enjoyed meeting with you at KoH and am looking forward to sharing a trail someday soon. Make sure to start a thread and share details and pictures of your build!

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
My recent adventure along the 137 mile Joshua Tree Adventure Route was partially a musical journey into the past. Some of you may remember that in the 1970s and early to mid-80s, we purchased complete albums from a band and listened to all the songs. The complete album itself was an experience, and the way songs were arranged, and complimented each other, was an art that I believe is largely unrecognized in today's world.

My time as a young man in 1987 is associated with this album: U2 - The Joshua Tree.

The Joshua Tree Adventure Route is another off-road route where you will be spending much time alone and without any cellular service. There are many signs along the route that state "PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. WARNING: DEEP SAND AND ROCKS. STRANDED DRIVERS HAVE DIED FROM HEAT EXPOSURE ON PARK ROADS. ROAD IS NOT MAINTAINED OR PATROLLED. FOUR WHEEL DRIVE ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT." The previously mentioned album began playing in my head, I closed my eyes and let my foot off the brake - I was rolling into yet another experience that few have the pleasure of knowing.
JTAR 01.jpg

My initial entry into Joshua Tree National Park began at the north-east corner of the park near many old and abandoned mines. I stopped at a few and peered straight down into the blackness of a deep vertical mine wondering who the men were that chipped away at the rock in search of treasure. Where did they come from and how did they view this area? What drove them to risk life and limb a century or more ago to work and live in these harsh conditions? What thoughts raced through their minds as they fell asleep listening to packs of coyotes yipping? The night before, I fell asleep nearby listening to descendants of those tricksters yelping and howling at the stars in the sky. I said my prayers and drifted off to a wonderful night's sleep being rocked by moderate winds.
JTAR 02.jpg

This road was tricky, at some points it was sandy and you were able to travel at 15-20 mph. At others, your movement forward was reduced to a 1-3 mph crawl. Looking up into the sky towards the sun I reminded myself that I was alone, in the desert, and despite recent successes, I had best keep my head on straight and respect the unfamiliar area I was in. I was deep into the heart of Joshua Tree now - what a strange and beautiful world I was exploring for the first time.
JTAR 03.jpg

Roads in the area have interesting names such as Gold Crown Road, Old Dale Road, Brooklyn Mine Road, Ok Mine Road, etc. This was part of the Dale Mining District and there is so much additional history and remains of buildings and mines in this particular area I have not even begun to scratch the surface. If you spend a bit of time performing some research, and plan appropriately, this are alone can easily support two to three days or more of adventure. As a father I think back to when my children were young and how I wish I had taken them more often into the wild. Sure, there are challenging sections of the trail that require you to stop and plan your route over an obstacle, but this is always a great time to empty the vehicle and let the kids stretch their legs.
JTAR 04.jpg

Although I began this trail in the Mojave Desert, I spent the night camping for the first time in the Colorado Desert in the Coachella Valley. Geographically, this is an interesting area since two very different ecosystems converge - the Mojave and the Colorado deserts. My goal was to sleep right on top of the southern section of the San Andreas Fault but it was just a few miles too far away. Maybe next time.

As my luck would have it, during the middle of my route, I encountered road closures at Berdoo Canyon Road and Geology Tour Road. After reversing my direction and partially exiting the park to regain cellular service, I discovered the roads were closed that morning due to a very recent rainstorm that damaged and washed out sections. This is part of overlanding though, coming upon a washed out bridge, an extremely muddy section that is impassable, or a closed road. It was time to break out the maps and explore go-arounds or parallel trails. Much to my disappointment, there were none and the ranger office had no idea when the roads would reopen. Time to slow down the process and think of a few options.
JTAR 05.jpg

My alternate plan was to spend the night at White Tank Campground near Arch Rock. The West Entrance Station of Joshua Tree NP is where it seems most visitors enter and depart the park so be prepared to be delayed 15-30 minutes or possibly longer during the weekends. Back to camping at White Tank - there was no water, electricity, or cellular service at this location but there were trash bins and a vault toilet. When I am out on the trail I take advantage of every chance I get to fill up on gas, water, or dispose of trash.

I hiked the surrounding area as the sun fell and the stars came out. As I walked back into camp I stopped to chat with a gentleman from British Columbia who pointed to the top of a rock and said if I really needed cellular reception I could climb up top and maybe be rewarded with a sniff of connectivity. After talking a bit more, I thanked him and headed over to my Four Wheel Camper to fix some warm soup on this cold night. On a cool night it is always good to eat a warm meal late since you are eating something warm, and your digestive system will be working late which also helps keep you warm. Later, a skoolie with a young lady rolled in and after parking, walked over to say hello and talk for a bit. It's always fun meeting different folks from all over the globe who share a common passion.
JTAR 06.jpg

The next morning I awoke early and decided that if Berdoo Canyon and Geology Tour roads were open, I would complete my adventure. If not, I would turn myself north, stock up on supplies, and head to King of the Hammers, in Johnson Valley, for the next ten or so days. I like to keep life simple and make as many binary decisions as possible - heads means this, tails means that. As men, we must eliminate overthinking, make decisions, and deal with any unexpected outcomes. As I drove by Geology Tour Road I noticed the "road closed" signs still up so I stopped by the ranger office on the way out, just in case they were planning to open within the next hour. Negative. Johnson Valley, here I come.

<break>

Ten days later I returned to complete the Joshua Tree Adventure Route and as soon as I jumped back in, it felt as if I had never left. While on the trail, my mind instantly switches into adventure mode and the rest of the world disappears. I suspect this is a good healthy way to live compared to the normal state of mind that is largely chaotic for most of the time these days.
JTAR 07.jpg

Here is your standard 3/4 glamor shot with all the lights on. One thing to consider while roaming in the desert is the fact that depending upon where you are, there may be some high-speed folks blasting through and they may be smaller and more difficult to see. Most of them have all their lights on so I am a proponent of running lights, even during the day, in many situations. From what I have observed in the desert - lights increase safety during the day or at night.
JTAR 08.jpg

As I have mentioned previously, the desert has a strange beauty of its own. As the sun was setting during my final few hours on the trail I stopped, rolled the windows all the way down, turned my truck off, and just sat for some time and watched. The only sound was the occasional whisper of a light wind. The only smell was faint but natural. The only thing I was able to see no matter where I looked was created by God. Some man made structures are impressive and some I even consider beautiful - but there is something special about natural beauty. Get out and enjoy nature for yourself no matter where you are or what the conditions are.
JTAR 09.jpg

This is my parting shot for my time having fun along the Joshua Tree Adventure Route. I never imagined thirty-seven years ago that I would be exploring Joshua Tree Natural Park in an overland vehicle but I am sure happy I ended up here. I wonder if those miners from 150 years ago ever imagined digging holes in rock searching for gold, when they were young. Or maybe they flipped a coin and had the courage to begin their own adventure without overthinking the situation. I wonder what my future will be? I think it's fun not knowing and just taking a chance...
JTAR 10.jpg

Etoimos

Reaction score
I just spent the better part of the work week reading though your adventures and found them very entertaining. Thanks for sharing them with us. I was nice to see someone doing some overlanding back east. You don't often get to see what the east has to offer, it was both refreshing and inspiring.

Hopefully our paths will cross someday as we appear to have quite a bit in common from a military background, a love of photography, a little bit of space geeks and possibly even musical tastes.

If you ever find your self along the Front Range in Colorado, let me know.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
If you are in southern California and are interested in a 220 mile adventure that will last 4-6 days while showing you a little bit of everything the desert has to offer, then the Anza-Borrego Discovery Trial should be top on your list. This trail earned my respect as one of the few which requires you to constantly be on top of your game mentally. The open desert had me searching for roads during a sandstorm, the flat sandy washes kept me scanning to avoid soft wet spots, the rocky and rugged sections required me to navigate obstacles below me, and sometimes to the sides, or above, simultaneously. And since progress was slow and there were no major cities nearby, I was constantly recalculating fuel use and revising plans to exit the trail and refuel if necessary. After 4-1/2 days on the trail I decided to take a full day and just camp at a disbursed camping location in the desert to relax and recover.

The nearby Salton Sea, deserves it's own story since it was "formed in the early 1900s after a dam broke and flooded the Imperial Valley with water from the Colorado River." For the past five or so decades the area has been transformed into a post-apocalyptic wasteland as residents fled, and the sea filled with "nearby farm runoff, which includes fertilizer, heavy metals and toxins like arsenic and selenium." Here is an awesome 17 minute video telling the story about California's Miracle in the Desert. Just a few hours more and I rolled into Ocotillo, disappeared into the desert, and my adventure began!
ABDT 01.jpg

After initially traveling for a few hours in the dark I found a place to bed down for the night along an abandoned rail line that winds through Goat Canyon. It rained most of the night and although the sun shined brightly, the gusting winds reminded me that conditions will be rough over the next few days. The Anza-Borrego State Park is at the northern end of the Sonoran Desert and contains over 600,000 acres and contains "washes, badlands, slot canyons, mud palisades and palm oases." After I crawled through this area I parked atop a hill and could see for many miles in every direction. No man-made objects were visible, only nature.
ABDT 02.jpg

I took a break after successfully driving my AEV Prospector through the tight and twisty Piepkorn Slot and then played a bit at Diablo Drop Off. It is important to note that this trail is designed to be run from south to north since there are two one way sections, one of which is Diablo Drop Off. As you travel northbound, you will descend both drops so it is rather easy for most any 4x4 vehicle with a driver of average ability. Since it was during the week and no one else was using the area I wanted to test my ability to crawl up the 30° moguls which turned out to be rather easy.
ABDT 03.jpg

One thing I really enjoyed about Anza-Borrego was the fact that as you move towards the north you pass through many different types of desert environments. Just hours ago I was in the mountains on rocky trails and now I find myself in washes with sandy bottoms and tall mud walls. Speaking of mud, I did take time to explore the Arroyo Tapiado Mud Caves although I urge you to be cautious since years ago a young man died in the them on Easter Sunday when the caves collapsed and trapped him.
ABDT 04.jpg

Sandstone Canyon is reported to be one of the most photographed locations in the park so although it is an optional spur, I was unable to resist. This is a slot canyon that is unlike anything I have ever been able to drive into previously. This alone is worth the trip and as I drove through slowly I couldn't help stretching out my window and looking up. Although I was the only one in the canyon for the entire time I was there, I have read where this area becomes somewhat congested during the weekend. Maybe I'm selfish but I enjoyed having it all to myself for just a bit.
ABDT 05.jpg

Part of my journey was on a trail that had been used since the 1700s and was later named the Great Overland Stage Route of 1849. Mark Twain described traveling along this route in a horse and carriage as "swinging and swaying cage" and "an imposing cradle on wheels." The section depicted below was hours north of the area described by Mr. Twain but as you can see it was flat and sandy for as far as my eyes were able to see. I found an area to bed down for the night between the Gas Domes and the Pumpkin Patch and woke up to a sandstorm. I drove for hours barely moving forward with my eyes straining to see what once was a road. Although Gaia GPS helped to keep me in the general area it was easy at times to wander off into the desert only to realize I was off the road.
ABDT 06.jpg

Here I am climbing up more rocky and narrow shelf roads that were in a somewhat tight and twisty section just north of Slot Canyon. I elected not to stop and hike the Slot Canyon since I plan to return to this location again at some point in the future. There were a few other memorable locations I skipped such as Wind Caves since I want to see these places for the first time when I return someday.
ABDT 07.jpg

Earlier I mentioned that Sandstone Canyon was one of the most photographed locations in the park - well this is the most visited and photographed location: Fonts Point. "Fonts Point provides a spectacular 270 degree view of the badlands that surround it below. The badlands are especially impressive when as the sun rises from the east and sheds its light on the creases and crevices of barren landscape below." Next time I visit I plan to watch the sun rise, and set, at this very location. As I stood on the edge of the point I was speechless - it felt as if time stood still as I looked hundreds of feet below to the badlands.
ABDT 08.jpg

Here is an example of a 25+ foot mud wall that recently collapsed blocking the trail. After scouting the nearby area I located a safe go around. A day or two earlier, I encountered a massive chunk of a mud or rock wall that was larger than my vehicle and had broken off to block the trail. I guess the moral of the story is be prepared for the unexpected when passing trough areas such as this. A fallen tree or washed out shelf road back east is one thing, but mud slides and vehicle sized rocks blocking the trail are somewhat new to me.
ABDT 09.jpg

I figured I would save the money shot for the final picture in this report. This is me squeezing through an obstacle in Sandstone Canyon. Prior to attempting this I performed research and found many pictures and videos of Jeep and Toyotas passing through but I was unable to find any example of a full sized rig with a camper making it through. Yes, I it was necessary to fold my mirrors in for a bit and no, I was not able to open my doors more than a few inches once I was in there. After this picture was posted at another location, I discovered that there was another driver in a full size rig with a camper who has also squeezed through a year ago - I only wish I had know that going in since I would have felt a bit better knowing someone else has already successfully navigated this obstacle. Nonetheless, this was fun but I just can't express how much of a good time the overall adventure was. Happy trails!
ABDT 10.jpg

flan

Reaction score
How was coming out of that obstacle in the canyon, that driver side boulder looks like it would put your camper into the passenger side wall!

Awesome trip report as usual :cool:

mryak

Reaction score
Nice trip summary. I like that passenger tire off the ground in that tight spot. Nothing wrong with using the sidewall to get traction. I made a wrong assumption before I purchased my '23 3500. I thought for sure there would be a locker for the front AAM 9.25 axle. Apparently the '23 version had changes to it from the '22 axles making it not compatible with the ARB or Yukon lockers. Now I know there isn't one and probably one won't be developed. The rear has factory limited slip. So how limited do you think the truck will be. I'm so use to my jeeps that have front and rear lockers. Getting stuck has been a major aversion in my off roading. Buyers remorse, but I'm stuck with the truck.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
The Kofa Pioneer Trail is a 243 mile overland route that will take you deep into the 665,400 acres of the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge. This 4-5 day adventure is comprised of graded gravel roads, sandy washes, and rocky Jeep trails and since your average speed on the route will be approximately 10 mph, you should plan on departing the trail at some point to refuel or alternatively, carry 5-10 gallons of spare fuel. The western sections of the trail are the most frequently traveled but once you dive into the heart of Kofa, you may not see another person for several days. The name Kofa originates with the King of Arizona mine which was operational in the late 1800s. They tagged all of their property "K of A" which became Kofa to locals.

Aside from fuel concerns I would strongly suggest you perform a pre-adventure check on your vehicle with specific attention paid to tires, fluids, etc. The next most critical life-saving resources are water and food and I always pack two to three times what I believe I will need. For example, if I am expecting a five day adventure, I will make sure to have ten to fifteen days worth of supplies. And if anything happens, just stay with your vehicle since it provides a steel cage of protection for you and all of your supplies. Plus, it's a hell of a lot easier to spot a vehicle from the air compared to a human wandering around the desert.

Also, don't be surprised if you hear explosions in the distance since Kofa boarders the US Army Yuma Proving Ground and you will be required to drive through a portion while on the trail.
KOFA 01.jpg

Previously I mentioned this trail is composed of graded gravel roads, sandy washes, and rocky Jeep trails. You will be happy to hear that only a small amount of your time will be spent on graded gravel roads while the majority will be spent on rocky and sandy trails more suited for Jeeps or side-by-sides. When you jump onto a graded gravel road that is five miles long and pick up your speed to 25 mph, you will be off and crawling again within minutes.
KOFA 02.jpg

Along the trail there are several homesteads which serve as camping or gathering points for other adventurers. In this instance, I met Scotty from AZOFFROAD.NET, who was having troubles with his 1994 Grand Cherokee ZJ. Since I have owned, wheeled, and worked on many Jeeps since the early 1990s to include my personal CJ, TJ, XJs, and ZJ, I stopped to see if I could help out. The engine was cranking but not firing so after a bit of electrical and mechanical diagnostics, she fired and everyone was back on the trail. Scotty has a great site with many trails available so if you are going to be in Arizona, make sure and check his site out.
KOFA 03.jpg

Here is the Wilbanks Cabin where I camped one night. The cabin is always open and has two single steel beds in it and all are welcome to sleep in the cabin - there is also a wood stove inside also. What was most memorable to me was falling asleep next to a cabin that was built in the 1930s while listening to the windmill occasionally turn and pump water in the soft evening breeze. It was so quiet at times I could hear my heart beat. The cabin is just off of a wash and is surrounded on all sides by small hills - there are many trees and shrubs surrounding the area so it may be one of the most peaceful and serene sleeps you will ever encounter. Make sure to go alone and imagine what it was like to live out here around a century ago.
KOFA 04.jpg

Oh those beautiful mountains. Along the way I stopped to take dozens of pictures of mountains - like a pretty girl, they all had their own look, but were beautiful in there own special way. The best time to view them is in the morning or evening when the sun is low and colorful, and you can really study their shape and texture. During the middle of the day, the sun is high and strong with many details being washed out. It's for this reason I routinely take long breaks on the trail during lunch. The desert is still pretty during mid-day, just not as pretty as earlier or later. Night time in the desert is like being on another planet.
KOFA 05.jpg

Just a simple man and his truck, roaming the desert...
KOFA 06.jpg

I am beginning to become better at spotting springs in the desert. When traveling for days in the desert you become accustomed to seeing certain types and vegetation within a normal range of density. And then you take a turn into an oasis and immediately recognize a wide variety of vegetation that is concentrated in a small area. There is so much fun to be had in the desert you really need to see for yourself.
KOFA 07.jpg

When spending time alone in the desert with virtually no cellular reception you have much time to think. What I have noticed is that in our daily lives were a literally polluted with synthetic man-made sights and sounds while being bombarded with false information. Let me tell you man, out in the desert you go through a detoxification and your mind becomes clear. Everything you touch, feel, see, smell, hear, and sense...is real, and made for us by our one and only God. My only concern is that most people prefer the make believe world, and not the real.
KOFA 08.jpg

When you live outside, your body becomes more synchronized and regulated with nature - the sun begins to go down, the temperature falls, and you begin to prepare for sleep. In the morning, with the sun still below the horizon, the twilight is my alarm clock. I have taken up a new hobby, waking up during astronomical twilight and watching the sun slowly progress through nautical then civil twilight, and then smiling as a new day has been born.
KOFA 09.jpg

Have you ever cleared your mind and stopped to think that most everything you have been taught, and believe, has been a lie?

Dein Atem kalt, so jung, und doch so alt...
KOFA 10.jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
The Sonoran Desert Traverse spans 320+ miles using the Godwin Jeep Trail, Bradshaw Truck Trail, and Agua Caliente Road to link the Salton Sea, in California, with greater Phoenix, in Arizona. My amazing adventure lasted six full days although it could have easily lasted a few longer and been even more enjoyable - there is just so much to see along the way!
SDT 01.jpg

This morning I am many miles deep into the desert and I am expecting to travel another day without seeing anyone else. There's something special that you feel traveling alone in the desert so far away from the rest of humanity. If you are male, female, young, old, etc., I would encourage you to venture into the unknown natural world, alone. This was an unexpected tight spot in a wash just south of Box Canyon. It was so tight that both of my mirrors were folded in and the Maxtrax on the side of my Four Wheel Camper were less than an inch from a section of the wall. It was an easy obstacle to clear provided you crawl through.
SDT 02.jpg

Sunsets in the desert seem to distort time. Everything slows down as the sun dips below the horizon and those final few rays of light reflect off the atmosphere racing towards a darkness they will never reach. This will be another night sleeping alone in the desert - I can't explain how peaceful and relaxing it is sleeping in a remote area where there is no noise or man made objects to clutter the surroundings. To me, large cities represent the greatest failure of all mankind.
SDT 03.jpg

Venturing deep into Red Canyon after dark was a surreal experience. The mud canyon walls were easily 100+ feet tall and my primary concern was the remote possibility of a section breaking off. There are so many nooks and crannies to explore in hear I could have spent an entire day. Next time I visit I plan to camp down in here for at least a few days.
SDT 04.jpg

Camping high on a hill overlooking the desert twenty-five miles west of Quartzsite, Arizona, the day prior to arriving at one of two upcoming adventure events. The desert has begun to bloom in some areas and the colors are beautiful. You know I'm a crawlin' king snake baby, and I rules my den...
SDT 05.jpg

Once I passed the Red Canyon and continued east, the roads smoothed out and my pace through the Sonoran Desert picked up. In many areas I was able to cruise through the desert at 20-25 mph. My plans included stopping in Quartzsite, Arizona, to attend the 2024 Truck Camper Adventure Rally and Desert Rendezvous which were one week apart! I had an amazing time at both events, examined hundreds of rigs, and met so many wonderful happy people.
SDT 06.jpg

After stopping in Quartzsite I jumped onto a section of the Arizona Peace Trail to a point where I would rejoin the Sonoran Desert Traverse to complete the miles I have remaining. This photo is of a section of the Arizona Peace Trail which passes under I-10 east of Quartzsite. Maybe a stock full size truck could squeeze through but my AEV Prospector and FWC combo could not. Fortunately, I found an old barbed-wire gate nearby and used it to continue moving eastward.
SDT 07.jpg

I slept in the Gila Bend Mountains last night and took time this morning to prepare myself a fine breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice and milk. Earlier, my eyes slowly opened as the sun began to rise - I listened to birds and insects begin their daily chores. It was a cool but comfortable night, it is becoming warmer now as we move towards spring. For lunch I stopped in this wash, chased lizards, and took time to enjoy a fine and relaxing meal. One of the things I enjoy most about overland adventure is no longer rushing to squeeze in a meal - my meals are healthier and I now have the time to enjoy every single one. Slow down and enjoy life - you deserve it.
SDT 08.jpg

I stopped to explore another ghost town, this one is named Sundad and served as a sanitarium for tuberculosis patients a century ago. This may sound funny but I am beginning to consider rusty shot-up metal objects in the desert a type of art. I would guess that this art form exists mostly in these United States since few other nations respect our God-given right to defend ourselves and our property.
SDT 09.jpg

Once I completed the trail I resupplied and began to quickly head east to complete another trail and attend my third Starship launch - the first two were two much fun! I stopped to sleep at Texas Canyon in New Mexico. Just a few miles south of here in the Dragoon Mountains is where legendary Apache warrior Cochise fought his final battle. He is buried "in the rocks above one of his favorite camps...now called the Cochise Stronghold." I will return someday to sleep in those same mountains.

After spending the past few months exploring the Sonoran Desert it feels strange knowing that I have begun my departure. The desert is slowly waking up after hibernating for the winter and now I am saying goodbye. I will return and I will remain longer next time - I hear some never leave. If you have an aversion to pin-striping you might want to avoid travel in the desert. I guess I'm indifferent to dents or damage on my Prospector although I do make a reasonable effort to minimize it. The payoff is worth it in spades though considering the places I have visited that few others have ever seen.
SDT 10.jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Some company on the trail?

View attachment 70088

You have very good eyes!

This was Pipeline Road just west of Quartzsite and that was a vehicle approaching in the opposite direction. Since it was a white truck I suspected it was a field worker but when they passed it turned out to be an older couple with another in the backseats. My guess is they towed a fifth-wheel into camp at Quartzsite and were off exploring for the day. On the other side of the hill I encountered three side-by-sides and pulled over the let them pass.

When you are on the trail and begin to encounter others more frequently, or there are power lines running along the trail, you can be sure you are closing in on an occupied area.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Part 1 of 2

Some time ago, I began my travel along the 1,358 mile Five Tribes Overland Trail that stretches from the mountains of the Lincoln National Forest in New Mexico to the gulf shores in Freeport Beach, Texas. A few months ago I met Todd Greenberg from Go Native Overland in Arizona and he suggested next time I was passing through Texas to consider following FTOT west to east. We talked for some time about the trail and since Todd was the creator, he was the best to answer all of my questions. I'll be honest, although it would be one of the longest overland trails I have traveled it sounded like one of the easier ones regarding technical difficulty. By the end of this story you will see how wrong I was and the valuable lesson I learned.
FTOT 01.jpg

I woke up on top of a mountain in the Lincoln National Forest just north of the Mescalero Apache Reservation in New Mexico. After a nice breakfast or eggs, bacon, orange juice and milk; and watching the sun rise and the mountains begin to wake up, my adventure began. Early on I drove through a road in Lincoln, New Mexico, that President Rutherford B. Hayes once called, "the most dangerous street in America." Fifty or so men were killed along this short stretch of road with another two hundred in the surrounding area. I stopped in the middle of town to ponder just what has happened to our once great nation. Recently, it has become common for guys to act, dress, and even claim they are women. Most of the remaining certainly promote their feminine side and fail to act like a man when called upon. It's always been about 3% of males who are actually men while the others are various types of guys.

After dropping down out of the mountains I began to see what a large part of my journey would look like - forever flat. My primary concern early on centered around the availability of fuel. In the past I had spent time roaming this part of New Mexico with a young skinny read headed filly and was very aware that although she never ran out of energy, my adventure vehicle would often be running on fumes as I searched for gasoline in the middle of nowhere. With that in mind I took time to pinpoint dozens of gasoline stations along my route that were within a few dozen miles of the trail. In this part of New Mexico and moving into western Texas, the few towns are often measured in hundreds of residents and gas stations and grocery stations are somewhat uncommon.
FTOT 02.jpg

What was not uncommon were "private property" signs, barbed wire, and livestock gates. There are many times along this journey that you feel as if you are driving through property owned by another man, and most likely, you are. In New Mexico approximately 47% of land in public but in Texas only about 4% is. With that in mind, every single time I drive up to a livestock gate I read the signs, checked my map, opened the gate, drive through, closed it, and continued on. Many large sections of private land have county roads passing through and although some land owners post signs that would discourage some guys, there is no problem with a man following a county road through private land. Just remain on the road and leave the gate exactly as it was found. Simple.
FTOT 03.jpg

Here is the most extreme example I have yet to encounter regarding a public road passing through private land - how about driving into a corral directly in front of a house? What was funny is that fact that this is literally out in the middle of nowhere and the home is built maybe thirty feet off of the road and the area around the home functions as a corral. This horse greeted me and stood firmly at the gate as I drive up and I was concerned that as soon as I opened the gate he would run. I passed through the gate, backed him up, and then drive into the corral and out the other end. Horses are funny animals - he was curious since this was the first time he had ever seen an AEV Prospector and Four Wheel Camper.
FTOT 04.jpg

Just east of Roswell, New Mexico, is Mescalero Sands North Dune Off-Highway Vehicle Area. Of course, I spent time in Roswell to learn more about the 1947 UFO crash, and even considered visiting the International UFO Museum and Research Center downtown. I had other space related plans on my mind and time was critical so next time I am visiting the area I plan to spend more time. If it's any consolation, I did drive through the middle of White Sands Missile Range a few days prior.

Anyway, I stopped into the OHV area since there were sports to camp but it was too early to shut down for the day, strike one, and while exploring the area I discovered this unfortunate vehicle buried up to the frame rails, strike two. Truth be told - this vehicle is stuck in a designate OHV area that was specifically set aside for these types of activities so instead of screaming into the heavens and cursing the wild and reckless driver I smiled, recalled my youthful adventures of which some were very similar, wished them well, and continued on. Too many slaves in this world die by torture and pain...
FTOT 05.jpg

An example of a common road in western Texas - at times it felt as if I was driving on another planet. Since I had many days and countless hours to think I spent must time contemplating what early settlers though of the area. My take away is that the modern male is at best a shell of what men once were. My hypothesis is that this downward decline in masculinity can be broken down as to how frequently two single syllable words are used. Yes, or no.

Modern guys says yes to absolutely everything without hesitation. Someone is offended so you must change who you are and how you behave, yes sir! Your wife or girlfriend wants to spend a girls night out without you - oh yes baby! Another man disrespects you or your family and instead of knocking him out cold you submit, lower your head, and walk away like a little girl.

If you want to become more masculine, learn to say no.

And there is no need for you to explain anything additional - just say no.

“Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway!” ~ John Wayne
FTOT 06.jpg

I'm not letting you off the hook that easy man, stop being submissive and learn to say no. And after you say that beautiful word, don't say another thing - just look at the other person and let them mumble for a few seconds. After that, kick a door open and change the conversation to another topic. Here's an example...

guy: Hey Chet, I need to you tone down the voice in your trip reports, some guys are becoming triggered and sending me messages.

Chet: No.

guy: But, we should respect what everyone else says and submit to their woke blah, blah, blah...

Chet: Tell me about the last time you camped alone in the desert, mountains, or forests and what you discovered...

FTOT 07.jpg

Crossing the Salt Fork Brazos River just west of Peacock. Just over a century ago, this small town was destroyed by a tornado strong enough to blow the feathers off of chickens. Although it had over three hundred residents in the 1920s, there are maybe one hundred nowadays.
FTOT 08.jpg

Sometimes I enjoy traveling during the night since everything appears different. This desolate road wound through small hills along the river which also included a few shallow water crossings. It was fun and a perfect way to close out a beautiful day wandering the back roads. After spending so much time living and exploring in my adventure vehicle it's difficult to remember what it was like living in a house, in one location, and repeating the same story day after day. I'm not sure I'll ever go back...
FTOT 09.jpg

When I was young I can remember watching a post-apocalyptic show titled Logan's Run. I always cheered for Logan, the sandman turned runner, who broke the rules with Jessica. They escaped the sealed city where everyone was programmed to die when they turned thirty. Logan, Jessica, and many who have embraced this nomadic lifestyle, have successfully escaped, and realized they were living in a world controlled by thieves and liars. Logan returned to tell everyone to disregard all the lies and that true life existed outside the walls of the city. Logan discovered the truth and so have I.

Jessica: [seeing the sun for the first time] What is it?

Logan: I don't know. Whatever it is, it's warm.

To the game you stay a slave...
FTOT 10.jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Part 2 of 2

This is a continuation of my travel along the 1,358 mile Five Tribes Overland Trail that stretches from the mountains of the Lincoln National Forest in New Mexico to the gulf shores in Freeport Beach, Texas.

Question: what should you do when you experience a flat tire in the middle of Texas and the nearest small town is twenty miles away...and you have no spare?

Answer: find a quiet place to go fishing and don't worry about it!

Lucky for me, Millers Creek Reservoir was maybe a mile or so away so I limped my AEV Prospector down to the water and set up camp. At night I listened to two packs of coyotes yipping, howling, and barking at each other. It was fun to sit under a blanket of stars and listen to the packs move around the nearby area just talking away. My puncture occurred on a recently graded county road that had some sharp rocks. The damage sounded like a balloon being popped, left a large hole, and deflated within 10-15 seconds.

My travel along the trail had been significantly interrupted. The damage to my tire is much worse than originally suspected and now it has been four days since I have been able to drive my truck. My initial tire patch only lasted a few miles, more on that later, so here I am spending yet another day camping at Millers Creek Reservoir. It's a beautiful sunset and I believe the flat BF Goodrich KO2 adds a bit of imbalance to the shot.
FTOT 11.jpg

This also seemed like a perfect time to relocate my air compressor. The move required new primary wire so I broke out my Anchor marine grade 6 AWG wire, heavy-duty annealed tinned copper lugs, adhesive lined heat shrink tubing, wire cutter, and lug crimper tools. Since I was moving my air compressor, this would require a new air hose. I was twenty miles away from the nearest town so I decided to hitch-hike down a dirt country road. I caught a ride about an hour into my walk with the first farm truck that passed by. After a long ride I was dropped off at Vita Auto Parts on Main Street in Seymour where I purchased a 3/8" x 25' premium rubber air hose by K-T Industries.

Now returning to camp was even more fun. It was late afternoon and it would take me ten hours to walk back. Enter Todd from Go Native Overland who I recently met, and was still in Arizona, and has a friend in Wichita Falls, who knows a girl in Seymour. A connection was made and literally five minutes after walking out of Vita Auto Parts, a nurse named Sunni pulls over, smiles and says hello, and off we go!

Why do things like this happen? It's because in life you need to reach out to others and share your plans, then take chances and pursue your goals aggressively. Think about something for a moment, consider options, and then proceed with one that seems most appropriate. Never. Ever. Quit.
FTOT 12.jpg

The sun rose and I was committed to plugging the tire correctly this time. I removed the tire and then the initial plugs. I took my time to reread the supplied instructions and followed them precisely. Five plugs were stuffed into the same hole, and after an hour of cure time, I performed a leak-down test and the new plugging attempt seemed to be holding air just fine.

My mistake regarding my initial plugging attempt was that I had read the instructions when I originally purchased the ARB Speedy Seal 2 repair kit a few year ago, and even watched a few used videos on the same product. I remember watching a video where one user stated the paste contained with the kit dried out in his case and was unusable. Based upon my memory, the paste was a rubber cement compound. In truth, it was a lubricant. I was happy to discover that my paste was in perfect condition and believing it was a bonding agent, applied it to the plugs. What I was applying was a lubricant that should have been applied sparingly.

It is my belief that this is a large part of the reason when my initial attempt at plugging failed so quickly. Next time I need to practice what I preach - slow the process down, read instructions again, and proceed cautiously.
FTOT 13.jpg

Now that she was holding pressure, should I drive twenty miles over the same rough road to Seymour or one hundred miles on paved roads to Abilene? I consulted with two respected technical experts who were friends and they both felt the longer run on pavement had a higher probability of success. I decided to increase my odds of success by driving 25 mph with my flashers on the entire way.

Since I rolled the dice and had a four hour drive at 25 mph to Abilene, I called ahead to National Tire and explained this was an AEV Prospector and the stock tires were BFG 37x12.5s loadrange D. The assistant manager Brandyn took care of me and scheduled my appointment for an hour after the tires were scheduled to arrive a few days later.

The delays I experienced were a direct result of my failure to properly equip my vehicle for extended solo overland travel. Occasionally, I step over the edge just so I know where it is. I smiled and though of this quote by Thomas Jefferson, "With great risk comes great reward."
Here is a shot of my four new tires following installation.
FTOT 14.jpg

It's looking like I have around 400 miles remaining on my journey and as I travel east the county roads are becoming smoother, small towns are passed through more frequently, and cactus and bushes are becoming trees. If you are driving across Texas in a 4x4 or AWD vehicle I would encourage you to slow the process down and enjoy the ride. Two key points for this trip - out west you must really focus on fuel management while here in the east finding a spot to camp is a high priority.

This was a county road that possibly turned into a private one which dead ended at a pasture. I scanned my map and located a go around which was just a half-mile back. Part of the fun of overland travel is dealing with a closed trail or washed out bridge.
FTOT 15.jpg

I stopped into the saloon at Fort Griffin for some Texas Ranch Water but instead opted for a Cowboy Punch. The fort has an assortment of historic buildings and is also home to the Official State of Texas Longhorn Herd. I didn't take any pictures of the longhorn since they were some of the most amazing and beautiful animals I have ever seen. You must see them in person yourself.
FTOT 16.jpg

This water crossing was the result of coming across an old trestle bridge that was closed. The locals found a suitable spot a few hundred yards downstream and now the road was reopened. I can appreciate and have respect for the "get it done" attitude here in Texas.

Looking back on my tire situation, I really pushed my BF Goodrich KO2s hard. Keep in mind I logged well over 60,000 miles on a tire that was warrantied for 50,000 and I still had 5/32s of tread in all four corners. These tires have seen some really hard use also since I spend an inordinate amount of time on 4x4 trails throughout these United States.
FTOT 17.jpg

One of my favorite things to do while passing through cities or towns near a trail I am on is to stop in and sample the local cuisine. In this case, it was challenging to converse with the owner so I ordered three tacos, all different, but I really had no idea what they were. They were so good that for the same meal, I ordered three more different ones once again.
FTOT 18.jpg

While driving down a dirt road with only a few hundred miles remaining, I came upon a large pipe being installed. My hope is that this is a sign that soon we will be taking advantage of our own national energy resources and reducing associated costs.
FTOT 19.jpg

My successful adventure along the 1,358 Five Tribes Overland Trail has come to a close. It began in the southern Rockies and ended on the Gulf shores. It took eleven days with three of those days being spent broken down twenty miles from the nearest small town. I then temporarily repaired my vehicle and limped 100 miles into the nearest city for a proper repair.

Although this trip appeared to be mild compared to previous overland trails I have completed, the remoteness provided a unique challenge. Fuel, repair parts and services were often dozens, sometimes one hundred or more, miles away. In the end, it was worth it and if your journey includes crossing the great state of Texas, I would recommend this route.

My arrival at Freeport Beach in Texas was largely unceremonious - I drove onto the beach, shut down the 6.4L Hemi, and stepped out to enjoy the sound of the waves crashing and the birds squawking. I called my brother to catch up and he was surprised at where I was. He too had spent time on this very beach years ago and had even taken our father to a nearby aviation museum. Life is funny and my adventure continues...
FTOT 20.jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
On 24 March 2024 at 0700 CST, a 110 minute launch window opened for the third integrated flight test (IFT-3) of Starship. I have been fortunate enough to attend the first two launches and stood in awe watching the most powerful rockets ever created ascend into the heavens and explode. My hope is that ship 28 and super heavy booster 10 finally make it into orbit.

Years ago when I worked at NASA Langley Research Center I was invited to attend the final two Space Shuttle launches. Although those and other launches I have witnessed over the years were impressive - none of them come close to Starship - the largest and most powerful rocket every launched.

Your eyes and ears experience a disconnect as you see the engines ignite and the world around the rocket begins to explode...but all you hear are soft rolling waves hitting the shoreline and birds singing as they fly by. A few seconds later, a frequency so low you are unable to hear it, begins to thunder against your chest, your ears, and all your internal organs. Then the roar of the thirty-three Raptor engines becomes audible and it sounds as if the hands of God have begun to tear the atmosphere open. This is when I smile and my eyes become glassy - I don't dare look through a camera, I must see this with my own eyes.

This is an unnatural experience and out of fear, your body releases adrenaline. Your brain is now processing everything so quickly time begins to become distorted. It seems like forever but then the largest ship ever built begins to ascend...slowly at first and then much too fast. The crowd screams, some weep, and I stare into the five hundred foot flame propelling the ship and marvel at the perfectly linear distribution of Mach diamonds. This is big, so big, bigger than most can even imagine.
IFT3 01.jpg

Here is a short video detailing the preparation for IFT-3.

This is a scene from an after launch party on Boca Chica Beach with an empty Orbital Launch Mount in the background. There were several dozen space fans and a nice fire that burned late into the night. It was foggy with a steady wind blowing in from the Gulf. The sound of the crashing waves was always present. It has always struck me as sort of strange that we humans huddle around a campfire on the beach like men have done for millennia - while being just walking distance from the most advanced technology designed to spread our species throughout the galaxy and then the universe.
IFT3 02.jpg

When my new BF Goodrich KO2s were mounted recently at Discount Tire in Abilene, Texas, I was informed that one of the tires was difficult to balance and "to drive it for a few hundred miles and let us know what you think." Well, my Prospector definitely felt different and the low frequency longitudinal force was most present from maybe 38-44 mph. This imbalance reminded me of a mechanical shuffle of sorts I had felt many times before.

Back when I was a young man I lived a life of danger, flying in, and occasionally jumping out of, military helicopters. Sometimes we would take an aircraft on a Functional Check Flight following major work on the rotor head or blades and we would experience a lateral force referred to as a "one per." In short, we would experience a lateral force once per revolution of the rotor. And after all this time I still remember that main rotor is 203 rpm at 100% NR - the military is really good at drilling things into your head, forever.
IFT3 03.jpg

If you have an AEV Heavy Duty Differential Cover check the torque on the socket head cap bolts - they may be loose. My front and rear covers had loose bolts and the front differential was contaminated with water. When I drained the fluid it appeared to have a high metallic content. When these covers were installed the instructions were followed to the letter. The torque wrench used was high quality and had a valid calibration certificate from a metrology laboratory. The AEV Prospector differential covers are premium components although their attachment method appears to be flawed.
IFT3 04.jpg

My AAM 9.25" front differential opened up and undergoing cleaning and inspection. It takes hours to clean a contaminated differential since fluid continues to weep from the pinion area. My concern is that the new fluid will soon be contaminated from any that possibly remains.

Going forward, I will begin inspecting all bolts on the front and rear diffs on a weekly basis and especially prior to a water crossing. In closing, an overland vehicle should not suffer from a possible flaw such as this. An occasional inspection or walk around is one thing but checking torque values on diff covers should not be mandatory.
IFT3 05.jpg

The past three days have been spent camping on the Padre Island National Seashore in Texas and reviewing the mishap with my front differential. This barrier island is sixty miles long and is very remote. With no cellular service I had much time to perform a simplified mishap investigation while reviewing my notes, memories, and the published instructions. On that note, let's talk about the elephant in the room...

I was 100% responsible for what happened. Full stop.

This event brought to mind a Thomas Sowell quote, "We seem to be moving steadily in the direction of a society where no one is responsible for what he himself did, but we are all responsible for what somebody else did, either in the present or in the past."

As men, it seems paradoxical that it is best for us to admit failure, but this is true for several reasons:

One - when we take responsibility for something we also are rewarded with the ability to control the end result. We naturally have a desire to improve a given situation, yes? If we blame the event on others we have no control of the process and are therefore unable to improve.

Two - as men, we must accept and carry heavy burdens for ourselves, and others. If we do not we are left with a feeling of uselessness as we fade into obscurity. Do you understand why society respects and celebrates those who have won races, survived mortal combat, or stood for the absolute truth when all others turned against them? It's because they alone decided to lift the heavy load and carry it. It may have been dirty, dangerous, or deadly, but they did it. Like Jesus did for us.

Three - western civilization needs men right now. And don't confuse this with guys who can be bought off for a price. I'm talking about men whose price is their life. In "Live Not by Lies," by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, the author states that on one hand you can lie, and live; while on the other hand, you can follow your conscience, and die.

Each of us must ask ourselves, what is our price?
IFT3 06.jpg

You might imagine that driving down a fifty-five mile stretch of beach is not that big of a deal - it's tougher than you think. This poor fellow lost a tire when he impacted a part of a washed up tree and drove for a dozen miles over the sand before he reached me. Due to the flow of the gulf waters and predominant winds blowing in from the east, much debris washes up along this massive barrier island and it is very common to see sections of the beach dotted with 15-30' long tree trunks mixed with an endless supply of smaller branches.
IFT3 07.jpg

This past week or so has been a fun ride filled with all the normal ups and downs of life. The most important thing to remember is that everyone's lives are a series of peaks and valleys, this is normal. Some are knocked off balance by unexpected challenges while others embrace them.

I don't want to become too philosophical here but your chosen frame of mind is key to successfully conquering daily challenges. If you believe that God has a purpose and a plan for each and every one of us and that we all have unique gifts and talents, it is easy to embrace the worst in life. Hey, you may not be happy with a particular challenge, or feel you deserve it, etc., but guess what - it's a part of His plan. A plan bigger, bolder, and better than anything we could ever imagine.

When you begin to think you have been dealt a bad hand in life, that is a signal for you to immediately change your mental perspective. Embrace the challenge and thank God for providing you with this opportunity. Begin searching for the good in what you are experiencing knowing someday in the future you will look back and consider this challenge a gift.

Life is tough sometimes for everyone. Life is good sometimes for everyone. Strap yourself in and enjoy the ride!
IFT3 08.jpg

El Cristo de los Pescadores memorial, which translates to "Christ of the Fishermen," is located on South Padre Island at Isla Blanca Park. I took this picture an hour or so before the launch of Starship. The fishermen heading out to sea say a prayer as they pass by and venture out into open water.

It's an overcast day today with rough surf, gusting winds, and the occasional sprinkle. I woke up and walked out into the surf. I stood in the warm water with the sand swirling around my bare feet, waves crashing into my lower torso, and wind blowing through my tangled and dirty hair. Some say I am a blessed man, I know I am.

"And the angel answering, said to the women: Fear not you; for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here, for he is risen, as he said. Come, and see the place where the Lord was laid." ~ Matthew 28:5-6
IFT3 09.jpg

flan

Reaction score
What was the error with diff cover install? Seems foolproof, water in usually=oil out. Hopefully the bearings aren’t trash, but high metal content says otherwise..

Users who are viewing this thread