Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

Pearce

Reaction score
I have that tire valve tool. Think it probably works better in a thin steel wheel than a thicker aluminum. I got it to work in 1 out of 4, lol. It was supposed to be a short cut in replacing dry rotted valve stems but that was just a silly plan to begin with.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Curious to know what has kept you from installing some sidestep bars or rock sliders.

None available for a regular cab long that I have been able to locate. Recently I spoke with White Knuckle Off Road and I may stop out this winter to have custom ones built for my application. Another company I have considered in Maple Off-Road although I am not planning to explore Canada for at least 3-5 years. If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them. Which ones are you considering for your build?

Have you seen the Torklift Smartstep? I think something like that might work well for you.

That's an interesting solution but might not be ideal for my application since I still require a step when I secure the four roof latches up front on my Four Wheel Camper. Another negative for me is that Smartstep has many moving parts - my goal is to keep things as simple as possible. Thanks though and it looks like a great solution for many folks.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Today I took time to consider just how critical a step stand is to my every day activities and safety. When I arrive at a campsite the first tool I remove from my camper is the step stand since the six roof latches on my Four Wheel Camper are eight feet above the ground. Their next role is being positioned behind the camper while being used to step up into, and step down out of, the camper - dozens of times each day. And when I am ready to pack up and go, the same step stand is used to secure my roof latches.

According to the CDC, falls are the leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injuries for older adults. With that valuable information, and considering how often I am climbing in and out of my camper at all times of the day and night, in all sorts of conditions, in unfamiliar areas, I thought maybe my health and well being was worth a few more dollars. It's like I have been living on borrowed time using a $49 piece of plastic.

Introducing my new aluminum step stand ordered today from Uline. At first I balked at the $300 dollar price tag but when I considered how I would be using it daily and how it would improve safety for me by reducing my chance of falling, it was an easy sell. It has two steps with the top step being 20" above the ground. It has serrated steps for a better grip, welded construction, corrosion resistant, has slip resistant rubber feet, and is designed for indoor and outdoor use.

Prior to placing my order I considered the 20" height, 27" width, and 22" depth. Since the entry door on the rear of my camper is 24" wide it will be necessary to rotate the step stand ninety degrees while inserting it prior to departing. This should not be much of an issue although I will update if it is. One of the only concerns I have relates to the rubber feet on the bottom of each leg. Since I routinely find myself in soft dirt, sand, etc., it may be necessary to pick up some type of plate that will slip on and increase the footprint. Or maybe just a piece of 2" flat stock connecting the four feet. We shall see.

Finally, based upon my research, it appears that this step stand may be manufactured by Cotterman, a company who has been manufacturing quality ladders in these United States since 1925. Their step stands meet all OSHA and ANSI standards
cotternam stand pic.jpg

Receipt for reference.
cotternam stand.jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
"Falls are the leading cause of fatal and nonfatal injuries for older Americans," is something many of us have heard before. I wanted to step back and examine the safety of my entire adventure process. I then identified the events with the highest risk and probability of occurring that could be solved for the least amount of money. When you consider that I climb up into, and out of, my Four Wheel Camper a few dozen times each day, during the daytime and nighttime, in mostly remote and unfamiliar locations, alone - upgrading to a high quality step stand caught my attention.

This aluminum unit is 20" high, 27" wide, 22" deep. My previous high risk event has now been minimized and stepping on this solid non-slip surface confirms that.

Here are the aluminum step stand ordered yesterday from Uline - even though I selected standard ground shipping, it was shipped hours after I ordered, and it arrived today. That's great service. As you can see, the 22" deep stand easily clears the 24" door opening. And the aluminum is so very light - I am glad I selected this one over the steel.
image000000(70).jpg

Here is the smaller plastic Worx step stool that has served well for the past nearly two years. After thinking more about the unit, if all I was doing was stepping up onto it I believe it may have lasted longer. But when I step down off the rear bumper I always aim to place my foot into the center to reduce the chances of missing and falling. I am not certain it was designed with that type of use in mind.
image000000(71).jpg

This picture appears to show a significant difference but let me assure you, in person the difference between the aforementioned Worx, and this Uline are night and day. I am really happy with this and my feet feel so solidly planted I am disappointed I did not initially select this type of step stand. If you sense excitement in my voice regarding this new piece of gear, you are correct. It just feels so darn firm with zero chance of slipping when I use it.
image000000(72).jpg

One final consideration is the comparison of the rise of both Units. Normal steps are approximately 7" high so using the table below we see that using the Worx is like ascending stairs using two steps each time. It's not that big of a deal since we are only going up three stairs to climb 43" - kinda tough, but short. The Uline spreads this out by providing four stairs to climb with the first three steps being much closer together and being near that ideal 7" rise. It's that final step from the bumper up into the camper that hurts both.

1st step​
2nd step​
bumper​
camper​
Worx​
13"​
16"​
14"​
Uline​
10"​
10"​
9"​
14"​

And stepping out is so much easier since I have this large, brightly colored target, with serrated steps. I wish I would have also taken a picture of the Worx although a National Park worker passed by a few minutes ago and I asked if they would be able to kindly dispose of the previous unit. The Worx was much smaller, it was colored black, and the top was plastic with flat ridges in it that are absolutely no comparison to the many rows of serrations used on the Uline.
image000000(73).jpg

In closing, here is a close-up of the leg-eating serrations for all to see. No, I will not be stepping on these with bare feet.
image000000(74).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
In consideration of the fact that I sleep in random places each night, I purchased a simple lock and cable to help secure my new aluminum step stand to my trucks hitch assembly during the night.
image000000(75).jpg

Receipt for reference.
image000000(76).jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
It feels great to be back on the road, exploring overland trails, and slowly making my way down south and then eventually out west.

My most recent adventure was the Georgia Adventure Trail which is a 580+ mile long overland trail running from the northern border with North Carolina, to the southern border with Florida. If I were to summarize the trail I would break it into three distinct 200 mile sections: north which is mountainous with mostly dirt and gravel, central which is occasionally hilly with dirt and clay, and south which is flat and sandy. One recommendation - run the trail beginning in the south and head north so the sun is always on your back.

Many thanks to Tony (Vman1313 Adventures) for all of the time and effort in creating this and many other adventure trails in Georgia and Alabama. You can find his website here with over a dozen separate overland trails.
GAT.jpg

My adventure began on the North Carolina/Georgia border which is right in the middle of the Nantahala and Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests. My recommendation is to always top-off fuel tanks as close to the beginning of the trail as possible. Once I am below one-half tank I begin to check my maps for stations not far off the trail. Once I hit one-quarter of a tank, my primary mission becomes refueling. In the first miles I crossed paths with a group of dual-sport riders and also enjoyed a few water crossings. Total water crossing for this trail were around a dozen with few being 6-12" deep whereas most were just a few inches.
image000000(101).jpg

This was a beautiful time of the year for this area. Here is a picture of the huge boulders and trees along the Tallulah River. I spend much time in the mountains and it is unusual to come across many boulders the size of a large truck or small house - they were amazing.
image000000(102).jpg

Despite being in the mountains, there were small farms and fields scattered throughout the area. The soil was rich and the vegetation lush. Sections of the trail were slightly overgrown but these were soft plants so no worries regarding scratches.
image000000(103).jpg

Here is a fine example of one of the many trails I explored along the northern section of the route. The trail was fairly smooth in most sections and at time you could cruise along at 25-35 mph if necessary. I battled between making time to complete the trail in three days and taking time to slow down and enjoy.
image000000(104).jpg

Near the end of day one I noticed I was not covering as many miles as I needed to so after enjoying a wonderful steak and asparagus dinner cooked in the forest - I decided to exercise my recent lighting upgrades and perform some night driving. The picture below does not accurately represent the obscene amount of light being displayed by my Diode Dynamics 30" light bar and SS3 ditch lights. It is nice to be able to see in the dark again on the trail. Another older adventure vehicle of mine, a 2002 Jeep TJ with a James Baroud rooftop tent, has always had IPF headlight upgrades with rally lights.
image000000(105).jpg

This is another beautiful section of the trial inside Scull Shoals Experimental Forest near Athens, Georgia.
image000000(106).jpg

Just east of Macon, Georgia, there are sections of the trail that are clearly marked as challenging. If you remember earlier I mentioned the central section of the adventure trail is somewhat hilly with that famous red Georgia clay. When the clay is wet you might as well be on wet ice - it is really slick. What makes it even worse is once you slide off the side of the road and are stuck, your tires begin digging into this slick heavy clay and you will make a something bad even worse. Although I was alone, it was dry so I decided to give it a try.
image000000(107).jpg

For those visiting from other parts of the country, there are a few types of venomous snakes in Georgia such as the Cottonmouth, Copperhead, and Diamondback and Timber rattlesnakes. There is no need to be afraid of these snakes but you must be respectful of them. Most snakes will provide many clues related to how afraid they are of you and if you continue to scare them, they may strike at you. If you are bit by a venomous snake and are able to seek medical assistance within a few hours, you should live.

While in the military, I attended a variety of survival schools where snakes and such were discussed. In one tropical survival school the civilian snake expert that was part of the curriculum, informed us that 99% of the snake bites he knows of originated from one particular demographic group: young men partying out in the forest. He reasoned that when young men are drunk and in large groups, stupid things happen like, "hey, watch me catch this snake!" This Timber was fine just fine with me as I came across him on the road - I respected him and he was in no fear. If he coiled up, began rattling his tail, and hissed, he is just telling me that he is scared and it's time for me to back away.
image000000(108).jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
If you recall, recently I removed my OEM backup camera from the tailgate that has been in storage and installed it on the back door of my Four Wheel Camper. I forgot how nice it was to see what was in back of you while backing up in the forest with a camper on the rear of your vehicle!
image000000(109).jpg

This was an interesting section of the trail which cut trough a working forest where Southern Yellow Pine was being harvested and replanted. It was lunch time and there was a helicopter performing aerial spraying so I took time to eat and enjoy the aerial ballet. Not too far from here was a washed out bridge that had a really rough go around that I considered attempting. Since I was short on time and not interested in complicating things - I checked my map and found a proper go-around that only delayed me ten minutes. With the initial go around, the risk was moderate, the payoff was mild. I set my pride aside and made the correct choice, I opted for the proper go-around and continued on with only a ten minute delay and no damage.
image000000(110).jpg

Oh how I wish this picture was able to accurately capture this beautiful morning. When I awoke it appeared that each blade of grass was frozen into a crystal but when I realized it was above fifty degrees Fahrenheit, I smiled since it was just a heavy dew. It was a quiet field of wet grass shimmering in the morning sun. A new day had begun and I was nearing the end. I was in the southern section now which is mostly flat farmlands and sandy farm roads. The small farm towns reminded me of my travels throughout the flyover states in the mid-west.
image000000(111).jpg

One danger during high-noon on sandy backroads like this is being unable to identify washed out sections of the road. There were a few times that I would be moving along at 35 mph and unexpectedly come upon a washed out section hidden in the shadows. And again, traveling in a southerly direction made this even more difficult. One of the advantages of traveling at night with powerful lighting up front is being able to clearly identify the texture of the road ahead.
image000000(113).jpg

Down south cotton fields are common. And so are fire ants! Since I was driving into the sun most of the time I stopped occasionally to clean my windows. While finishing up my passenger window I noticed my feel were beginning to feel funny and sting. After a few more seconds I looked down and noticed I was standing atop a fire ant mound in sandals. It was not as funny at the time but looking back, what was I thinking!

Just in case you didn't know, cotton is a heliotropic plant which displays a solar tracking ability. God created an amazing world for us to enjoy - sometimes we just need to slow our lives down to enjoy the beauty He created.
image000000(112).jpg

The Georgia Adventure Trail was completed in three long days where I was able to cover 678 miles in over 22 hours of actual drive time with an average speed of 30 mph. That was too fast compared to my normal pace but I had a hard deadline to meet since I was supporting my son racing at Daytona International Speedway.

It was an even bigger day for him though since he was planning to propose to his girlfriend, Kelsie. My son, Chet III, is a strong young man who enjoys loading himself up with heavy lifts, struggling, and then enjoying the success. Like I have always told him, "the good would not feel so good unless that bad hurt so bad." He along decided to schedule his proposal on the same weekend as his championship race. He coordinated with Daytona and AMA/ASRA to make this all happen. Bravy Zulu son and thank God that Kelsie said yes!
image000000(101).jpg

My son took one first and two second places this race weekend but he won big in many other ways. His long term committment and self-discipline resulted in him winning four regional champoinships and taking second overall in two others. The list is long but I can summerize it by saying that he competed in Supersport and Superbike events in multiple classes across several regions.

His biggest win is Kelsie though - the girl is an absolute angel and I am not quite sure how she is able to put up with him, lol.
image000000(102).jpg

Far too may people never actually live life - we just follow a path others have designated, we play by their rules, and expect some glorious retirement where we will be rewarded for all of our pain and suffering along the way. The sad thing is, some of us never make it that far, and many that do, are unable to enjoy retirenemt as we had planned. I jumped our of helicopters without a parachute, I roadraced motorcycles, I quite the highest paying job I ever had and began driving around the country on dirt roads and disappearing into the mountains. I can truly say I have lived life and it appears my son has chosen the same path.

“There’s a lie that all drivers tell themselves. Death is something that happens to other people, and that’s how you find the courage to get in the car in the first place. The closer you are to death the more alive you feel. But more powerful than fear itself, is the will to win.” ~ James Hunt
image000000(103).jpg

A short video capturing this most beautiful moment - I wish you both a happy and wonderful life!

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
This morning when I began to set up my Renogy 200-watt Solar Suitcase, the charge controller was showing fault code "bo1" which stands for "battery disconnected." Within a few minutes I located this failed ground and nearly failed positive connection on the controller. This particular connection sees the most stress when I move the panels to chase the sun even though I grab the cable and keep a strain off of it. Honestly, I am not sure that this kit was designed to be used full time so I take the failure with a grain of salt.
image000000(114).jpg

Lucky me - I had tools and supplies with me to fix the problem immediately. The tools I used were my Klein heavy duty wire cutters, Ancor single crimp ratchet, and Bosch heavy duty heat gun. The supplies used were Ancor 16-14 gauge #10 heat shrink ring terminals. All of my wiring upgrades and repairs use premium marine grade wire and components. I am spending today at Wilderness Landing Park in Blackwater River State Forest in western Florida. This campground is free, has flush toilets, hot showers, and a 110 Vac power receptacle in the restroom. For a full time adventurer, this is like hitting the lottery!
image000000(115).jpg

You may wonder why I have all of these specialized tools with me - it's because I plan to perform other upgrades and installations while on the road exploring. I love my home in Virginia but after a few weeks it was time to hit the road. Here are the repaired connections on the right side.
image000000(116).jpg

Here is another friendly snake that I encountered in the forest - this is a Cottonmouth, a.k.a., Water Moccasin. This is another venomous viper that is mostly found near water swimming, hanging in tree limbs, or basking in the sun on rocks. It takes quite a bit to provoke a Cottonmouth so there is no need to worry. If it coils up and opens its mouth you will see the white interior and also know it is time to back away. The more you educate yourself on any particular subject, like snakes, the less afraid you will be.
image000000(111).jpg

Here are my BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires after 50,000 miles. The wear has been even and they have been rotated every 5-10k miles. It looks like they still have approximately 5/32nds remaining so I suspect they will be fine for another 10k or so miles - original tread depth was 15/32nds when new. I am really holding out for the new KO3s and expect them to be released at SEMA. If you have been looking for premium 40" AT tires...a little bird told me...

Tire one
image000000(110).jpg

Tire two
image000000(109).jpg

Tire three
image000000(108).jpg

Tire four
image000000(107).jpg

Here is a picture from the inside of Florida Caverns State Park. This is in western Florida in the central time zone. The tour is around one hour long and all I can say is watch your head. I have spend much time in caves and caverns but this tour is different since it has you stooping and walking under overhangs frequently. In one section, the ceiling is four feet and you are required to walk forward around fifteen feet. It's not that difficult bit for some it may not be easy.
image000000(113).jpg

Here is just one of the interesting areas cleared by hand by the men of the Civilian Conservation Corps back between 1933 and 1942. So many places I travel in the forest are a direct result of the work of these strong American men. Well done men.
image000000(112).jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Part 1 of 2

It's time to begin heading west for the winter months. This adventure is known as the Panhandle Adventure Trail, or PHAT, which is another 500+ mile long overland trail running from east to west across northern Florida. Spoiler alert - it ended up being much longer! The trail begins on Amelia Island and ends near Mobile, Alabama, in the central time zone. If I were to summarize the trail I would break it into three separate 200 mile sections:
  • east
  • central
    • begins east of Tallahassee and ends around Marianna
    • if you can only complete one section this is the one to shoot for
    • trail turns south and drives down to the gulf coast
    • much time spent in Aucilla WMA, Bradwell Bay Wilderness, Tate's Hell WMA and State Forest, and Apalachicola National Forest
    • approximately 1,000,000 acres of wilderness for away from cities
    • sandy, swampy, wet, and overgrown trails
  • west
    • Mariana to near Mobile, Alabama
    • central time zone
    • flat and sandy with some occasional clay
    • passes through Blackwater River State Forest
    • many water activities and sandy trails just north of Milton and near Pensacola

Many thanks to Tony (Vman1313 Adventures) for all of the time and effort in creating this and many other adventure trails in Georgia and Alabama. You can find his website here with over a dozen separate overland trails.

PHAT 01.jpg

Here I am the night before my next adventure begins - my ship is full of supplies and fuel, my pre-adventure checklist has been completed, and I am ready to begin chasing the sun. What you see in this picture and what is reality are sometimes two very different things. What you do not see is the pile of garbage behind me in a small grove of trees left by what I suspect, were homeless people. Clothes, food wrappers, filthy blankets, etc.

My main point is that even though I explore the most beautiful locations in these United States, not everything is perfect. We all struggle and life would not be complete without the highs and lows. I guess another way to put it is, the good would not feel so good unless the bad hurt so bad.
PHAT 02.jpg

On the shore of the mighty Atlantic Ocean; more specifically, Fernandina Beach, on Amelia Island. Let another adventure begin!
PHAT 03.jpg

Early on I wound through a maze of backroads with nice balance between pavement and sand. Some of the sandy roads showed signs of frequent travel while others say limited use. Our speed varied from 25-35 mph and it was fun to just enjoy a relaxing ride through the forest, pop out into a remote rural setting, and drop back into the trees.
PHAT 04.jpg

Throughout my travels in the forests it is not unusual to happen upon sections of the working forest that are being harvested. If you begin to see signs posted along the trail saying "beware of logging trucks" you can be assured you are in an active area. I have never had any problems whatsoever and even if the road is temporarily blocked, the men have no problems suspending operations for a moment as I squeeze through. It is fun watching the different equipment cut and handle the trees.
PHAT 05.jpg

Yikes, here was a tough decision to make - I was in the middle of the forest, alone, and was just below one-half tank of gasoline, and the road ahead was rough-graded. It was sandy and soft with 1:1 water filled ditches on either side, and I didn't know if things improved a mile down, or if they became much worse. Even though I had my Warn 16.5ti heavyweight winch and AEV Full-Size Trail Recovery Gear Kit, I still had no desire to become stuck in the middle of a 750,000 acre forest with no cellular service. With that in mind, I tested the situation and proceeded forward in two-wheel drive, all seemed fine as long as I continued forward at 5-10 mph. For close to ten miles I was concerned that at any moment I could become stuck since some of the areas felt very soft and mushy with water just below the surface.
PHAT 06.jpg

In the middle of the forest I came upon a huge dragline excavator mining phosphate use to produce fertilizer for farmers. In order to properly reference the size you must consider that this machine was off to the right, and slightly behind the pickup truck in the lower left hand corner. Note there are no tracks on this machine since it is so large - it uses pads to "walk" since it only occasionally moves. From what I was able to gather, the phosphate vein in this area has been mined since the late 1960s and there is enough material for the next few thousand years. The operation involves clearing off the top ten feet of soil and then removing the vein which itself is around ten feet thick.
PHAT 07.jpg

My gosh, another even more interesting road in the middle of the forest. This one felt like wet bread so without much argument, I took time to study my map and locate a safe go-around. If you have been following my travels you are beginning to recognize that finding washed out bridges, impassable roads, etc. happen occasionally. This is part of the adventure and adds some excitement to the mix. If everything were perfect as expected, life would be boring.
PHAT 08.jpg

The sun has begin to set on another night in the forest. I never worry about finding a place to camp for the night since there is normally not another soul within a dozen or more miles of me. There are days where I will drive for most of the day and never come across another person. Sometimes I pass a hunter or another local taking a shortcut but much of my time is peaceful and alone. If you have not camped alone deep in the forest I would encourage you to do so. It's unusual these days but it feels so good so give it a shot and share your experience with others.
PHAT 09.jpg

Trails in Florida would not be complete without the occasional 'Sippie Hole to cross. Most are around one foot deep but you always must remain cautious. In 2001, just months after my newest Jeep arrived, a brand new 2002 Solar Yellow Wrangler TJ with 4.0L inline six and 5-speed manual, I was playing in a local area of Florida where the big boys played with their full sized rigs running 44s behind built V8s. If you can, visualize me dropping into a deep hole with huge ruts and becoming high centered. My Jeep slowly leaned over to the right and I watched my hood sink below the water line. I was smart enough to shut off the engine since I realized I would be sucking in water in about one-half a heartbeat. Water entered the engine but there was no damage - I was pulled out and after some time we had her back running again. I changed the oil, transmission, transfer case, and differential fluids several times over the next week until all began to look like oil, and not chocolate milk. Be careful and make sure you check - grab a stick and poke around, or take off your shoes and trousers and walk in.
PHAT 10.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Part 2 of 2

The first half of my Panhandle Adventure Trail adventure can be found here.

The trails in Florida are quite different compared to those in most other areas since they are mostly sand with occasional mud or clay. Of course, the trees and other plants are very different also and despite this being a very long trail, I was enjoying every single mile in the forest. There were times I would travel for a half-day or more without seeing another person.
PHAT 11.jpg

You may not be familiar with the panhandle of Florida but long ago I worked for and represented Tampa Bay Engineering throughout the 11,000 square mile we referred to as LA, or lower Alabama. Here is an example of what we called a "gun and knife club" back in the day. As you may have guessed, this is where young men met to drink and engage in all sorts of manly competition. We called them gun and knife clubs because you were checked at the door to see if you were carrying a weapon. If you were not carrying, you were not permitted to enter, although sometimes they had a house collection of guns of knives you could borrow if you bought a drink for everyone.
PHAT 12.jpg

This was pushing into that beautiful hour in the forest as the sun was falling asleep and the moon was beginning to wake. This picture was taken with the factory projection LED low beams on and nothing else. I enjoy travel at night through the forest since it provides a very different type of appearance compared to daytime travel. If you are on a multi-day adventure I would encourage you to engage in some night time travel. Auxiliary lighting is not mandatory but is nice to have in some situations. Since our speeds are normally limited to a maximum of 25 mph or so and our eyes do a great job of adjusting, OEM lights are fine for most situations.
PHAT 13.jpg

This is the third time in as many years that I have enjoyed camping at Wilderness Landing Park in Blackwater Creek State Forest, Florida. A dozen grassy, flat campsites, flush toilets, warm showers, moderate weather, and free! Finding a gem like this is akin to hitting the lottery. I decided to hang around for three days and two nights to just slow my exploration down and conserve some funds for the long trip to the west. As always, you meet cool people at a campground and there is always some entertainment regarding campground drama.
PHAT 14.jpg

This is what early German settlers in Texas referred to as Panzerschwein, or armored pig. We call them armadillo, or more specifically, nine-banded armadillo. They are edible, I ate one during survival training on Eglin Air Force Base back in the 1980s. I don't remember is being all that bad but it was not as rubbery as the snake I ate a few days later. Anyway, I was chasing this armadillo and attempting to convince it to jump straight up since they can jump around three or more feet into the air. This one would simply bolt forward and go back to hunting for food. Playing in nature and having fun is what you do when you camp for extended periods without cellular service. Try it, you might like it!
PHAT 15.jpg

This is another example of some of the cool people you meet camping in the forest. This is Dan, a retired architect, who now spends his time camping, hiking and looking for interesting pieces of wood, and them crafting them into all sorts of interesting usable type of art - in the back of his camper.
PHAT 16.jpg

Dan has what most would call a toy-hauler. His toys are different though since he has a wood shop in the back of his rig. He currently runs off two 100 Ah lithium batteries and 480 watts of solar although his goal is to effectively double his energy system. Here are a few more of the pieces he has recently created. From what I gathered, he creates these pieces and gives them away to people he meets. Dan is a really nice guy and I do hope to cross paths with him again.
PHAT 17.jpg

This is not the greatest picture but it is an example of the private beaches you find along the Blackwater River deep in the forest. The sand is white and the water is tea colored. The water is crystal clear but has a tea colored tint due to the tannic acid seeping in from nearby trees. It's not harmful and actually quite refreshing on a warm day since this water is cool and only a foot or two deep in most areas with a sandy bottom.
PHAT 18.jpg

Previously, we covered venomous snakes which are a minor concern. Alligators take concern up to the next level. I have swam in many inland locations in Florida but when there is a sign posted, I will respect it and consider another. A friend called a few weeks ago and shared with me that there were two alligator attacks in a spring in the Ocala National Forest where we cooled off and swam back in February. We both agreed that we will swim there again, but Paul asked me to jump in first.
PHAT 19.jpg

And after a 915-mile adventure through northern Florida with approximately 70% of the travel being on sand, dirt, or gravel, through the forests and swamps I can say I have completed the Panhandle Adventure Trail with twenty-nine hours of drive time spread over seven days. The route is advertised as 500+ plus miles although I do not believe that is entirely accurate. Some of the additional miles were a result of visiting nearby towns for supplies which is normal on longer excursions. Many other miles were racked up when I would come upon a road closure or locked gate sometimes deep in the forest.

Identifying different routes is normal and part of the fun although west of Milton, Florida, was a nightmare. There were multiple locked gates when I believe were public easements running through private land. Since this was in a rural and undeveloped section of the state the rerouting were long and there were two times I came upon another road closure and locked gate during rerouting. My suggestion is unless you wish to explore the entire northern section of Florida, focus on the central section down south including Tate's Hell State Forest and Apalachicola National Forest. Happy trails!
PHAT 20.jpg

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
Chet, on the topic of sliders, if you're looking for something a little less hardcore than frame mounted sliders, there is the Randy Ellis Design rock slider (link). I don't see an option for your cab/bed length, so it may be custom order and enough price increase to make it not worth it, but that is what I just pilled the trigger on after some recent damage to my cab. Luckily I've got a crew cab standard bed, so it's easy. Although, if I had a regular cab I probably wouldn't have gotten into the trouble to need sliders… Anyway, just another option. I wanted to try and keep my amp steps since I'm only an occasional "wheeler" and it's my daily, figured it may help offer another path.

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip and since I am spending the winter in Arizona and New Mexico I will stop by their shop in Phoenix.

I am a big proponent of body mounted sliders since I have used them on all of my Jeeps although I am not sure I have ever seen them for a regular cab long bed application. We have movement between the cab and bed to be concerned with and also the lower section of the bed does not have the same support as the same area of the cab.

The frame mounted rails may not be the best option for me either although they do resolve the to previously mentioned issues. The FCA Commercial Vehicle Team Design Recommendations PDF attached below discusses u-bolt use on certain areas of the frame. I suspect they are referring to u-bolt used in a vertical orientation to secure a load above the frame and not a horizontal application. My concern is that some of the frame mounted sliders may utilize these areas.

upfit.jpg

Attachments

• Ram_CC-HD_Design Recommendations_MY19+.pdf
    937.7 KB · Views: 4

UglyViking

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip and since I am spending the winter in Arizona and New Mexico I will stop by their shop in Phoenix.

I am a big proponent of body mounted sliders since I have used them on all of my Jeeps although I am not sure I have ever seen them for a regular cab long bed application. We have movement between the cab and bed to be concerned with and also the lower section of the bed does not have the same support as the same area of the cab.

The frame mounted rails may not be the best option for me either although they do resolve the to previously mentioned issues. The FCA Commercial Vehicle Team Design Recommendations PDF attached below discusses u-bolt use on certain areas of the frame. I suspect they are referring to u-bolt used in a vertical orientation to secure a load above the frame and not a horizontal application. My concern is that some of the frame mounted sliders may utilize these areas.

View attachment 64910
My assumption from reading that is the concern being vertical loads since the frame isn't even in those places as you said. Even if they use said areas, the primary force is a horizontal clamping force, so I'd think that to be a non issue. Even if it is in theory, the number of power wagons with frame mounted sliders, not to mention other rigs, having absolutely no damage seems to indicate it's a non issue.

Honestly, frame mounted would be my preference all things being equal, but I love my stupid amp steps too much, so I'm gonna at least try and see if I can make this body mounted one work. I do agree that the "floating end" where the bed mounts is def a little bit of a concern, but time will tell. I figure if I do somehow end up with bed damage due to them, it may just force my hand to chop them shorter and replace the bed, then install frame mounted sliders. Even worse, it may force my hand to buying a flatbed with canopy! Oh no…

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Hello again Texas! On my way to spend the winter in the south west I decided to have some fun and combine two trails into one larger one. The first is known as South Cotton Lake Road to SHNF (120 mi) while the other is the infamous Cheeseburger Loop (170 mi). This should have provided me with 290+ miles of fun in east Texas along with some quality time in Sam Houston National Forest. If you suspect things did not go quite as expected, you are correct. I am simply happy I did not end up being shot or thrown in jail. My lesson learned is that I must perform more research before downloading a GPX file and hitting the trail.

The southern half of South Cotton Lake Road to SHNF from Beach City to Cleveland, Texas, was mostly paved roads, contained a few errors, and locked me into an uncomfortable situation. Just north of Cleveland you will immediately jump into the Sam Houston National Forest so I would recommend adding that to the Cheeseburger Loop if you are coming up from Houston.

Dark blue is South Cotton Lake Road to SHNF whereas medium blue is Cheeseburger Loop.
CBL 00.jpg

This is northbound on Texaco Road where it breaks off FM686. Of course, I always enjoy traveling at night in unfamiliar places, and to add a bit of excitement, I passed through a gate with a dozen locks and about as many "NO TRESPASSING" and "PRIVATE PROPERTY" signs hanging on it. Most of the property in Texas is privately owned although many of these same properties have public easements or roads which pass through which are perfectly legal to drive on.
CBL 01.jpg

It is possible that either I am wrong or some of the land owners feel differently since occasionally you come across a locked gate which technically is prohibiting use of a public road. I need to perform more research on this subject so I keep myself out of trouble but this evening went from bad to really bad in within thirty minutes. In short, I passed through an unlocked gate, drove two miles north, then drove another two miles to the east and came upon a locked gate. I then decided the best thing to do would be to drive back out and find a go around. Unfortunately, when I returned to the gate that was previously unlocked, it was not locked. It was around 2100 local, I was locked inside an area with mostly grassy roads and the occasional dirt one.

I stopped my vehicle and though about what I was doing and began trying to come up with a plan to get back to a main road. It was confusing that the gate that was unlocked maybe thirty minutes earlier was not locked and I was not sure if someone working had left or if someone was aware that I was on the property and was planning to confront me, or was calling local law enforcement. I was sure this was a public road but then again, I was locked in. Here is an example of a gate that I found on the north end of Texaco Road where it crosses a canal and then turns west. It was unlocked although the map showed this road being a dead end.
CBL 02.jpg

Here are some of the "roads" I began to explore while attempting to escape. I wish I had taken other pictures but I it was getting late and my primary mission was to get back onto a paved public road. While exploring I came upon what appeared to be an abandon grain storage facility (30.10116881152415, -94.96113447759215) that was dilapidated and surrounded with old tractors that themselves were overgrown with weeds. It looked pretty bad since every road I explored ended up with a locked gate or it was impassible.

Fortunately, I happened upon a place where I reclusive man lived - I turned off my bright lights, honked the horn, and when he came out I immediately said I am trying to get back to the main road and all the gates were locked. I felt bad when he said he could see the bright lights roaming that fields and he was scared because he was not sure what was going on. This man was kind and understanding and after I explained my predicament he shared with me a way to sneak out where there was no gate. In the end I drove east across a large field towards a farm and did not feel too comfortable doing what I was doing, but I saw the pavement ahead and got out of Dodge!
CBL 03.jpg

This is the beautiful Shell Road Hunter Camp just north of Cleveland, Texas. A few local trucks circled through early in the morning and then local law enforcement did also but no one gave me any problems. It is a large flat area with enough room for at least a dozen vehicles to park. It felt good to know I was in a National Forest at a legitimate camp. The entire scenario which had me locked in was still confusing and my lesson learned was to try to stick to more commonly explored trails while performing additional research.
CBL 04.jpg

This is an example of me coming upon an accident out in a rural area which took place just as I was driving up. As soon as I realized what happened I slowed down, kicked on my four-ways, and began to slowly approach the scene. As I was pulling up a few other trucks appeared from two other directions and by the time I parked and got out, they were already hooking up a strap and ready to pull the car out of the ditch. The girl was out and walking around and even though air bags were deployed she said she was fine and did not require any medical attention. Within a minute or two the car was pulled out and phone calls were being made. It all happened a bit too fast for my liking but I was not in charge.

A lesson learned long ago it that when something bad happens it is common for folks to set their own safety aside and rush in only to make matters worse. This is why I purposely slow down the process and make many observations before entering an accident scene. A good thing is that I had a winch, full recovery kit, and fire extinguisher available. I failed through since I do not have a basic medical kit on board with me. I must perform some research and pack one in my cab just in case.
CBL 05.jpg

Here is a shot from the eastern section of the Cheeseburger Loop while traveling through the Sam Houston National Forest. This was a really nice area and perfect time of the year.
CBL 06.jpg

Another well maintained road that was part of the Cheeseburger Loop. I am not sure who at Adventure Riders was responsible for this loop but it is a nice one. If you download the GPX file make sure to select the most currently on that can be found here.
CBL 07.jpg

The western half of the loop is mostly farm country - still some beautiful riding. I like how the east half is in the forest with trees while the west half open up to farm country and that big Texas sky. There are also approximately four fuel stops equally spaced around the loop.
CBL 08.jpg

Here is why the trail is named Cheeseburger Loop - it's because of Yankee's Tavern and more specifically, their famous 1/2 pound Wide Glide burger which is "served on our signature jalapeno bun topped with crispy bacon, three different types of cheese, and finished off with grilled jalapenos, mushrooms, and onions. Perfectly paired with an order of our tavern chips." It does not get any better than this men and the sisters behind the bar were collared and dressed to kill. The funny thing is, that is not how they normally dress, it was Halloween and I had no idea. The burger and service were great though and so was the trail.

For me, the entire trip was 305 miles long and took 10.25 hours for an average speed of 30 mph. If you are in the Houston area or just passing through on Interstate 10, head up to Cleveland, jump on the last half of South Cotton Lake Road to SHNF and knock out the Cheeseburger Loop. Do not attempt this at night and make sure to think twice before passing through a gate with locks that is covered with signs.
CBL 09.jpg

ramblinChet

Drinks Alone
Reaction score
Today is the day that I will report my failure and lessons learned during my recent attempt of the Organs Loop trail just outside of Las Cruces, New Mexico. Here is a view of the 97-mile trail as found on Gravelmap.

The trail did not appear to be anything out of the ordinary so I performed just a bit of research. The only information I was able to locate appeared to be notes from motorcyclists which included, "that's a lot of climbing, I wanna there" and "I did the southern segment of this loop last week. I highly suggest >= 45 or 2 inch+ tires. I poorly routed my loop and ended up hiking through the desert for hours. Cat 1-3 gravel, sand, and clay-dirt. Stunning and vast views."
OL 01.jpg

Let's first back up and set the stage. Following my recent completion of the Cheeseburger Loop in Texas, Panhandle Adventure Trail in Florida, and Georgia Adventure Trail in Georgia - it felt as if I were back in the groove and looking forward to much fun in New Mexico and Arizona. All was going well - my AEV Prospector was serviced and although I had not completed a few additional modifications I was carrying the parts and tools and planned to complete these non-critical upgrades in the desert.
OL 02.jpg

When I rolled into Las Cruces, New Mexico, I was smiling so hard mt cheeks hurt. I found some great local food, gassed up my rig with at a TOP TIER Fuel Station, as I always do, and was ready for adventure. I noticed the Prehistoric Trackways National Monument was just outside of town so I decided to go spend the afternoon out there exploring some of the trails, searching for fossils, and just relaxing in the warm sun.
OL 03.jpg

The trail were lightly used and a bit on the rough side compared to those back east which were mostly dirt, clay, or small gravel. I was still at my 45 psi street pressure and just took my time - the ride was not that bad although I would have benefited from airing down. This was a short trail though and I was spending more time relaxing compared to exploring.
OL 04.jpg

Late in the afternoon I figured it would be a great time to shower up and change into some fresh clothes. I was just under a mile-high and there was no one else around so I stripped down, showered up, and dried off in the warm sun. Later, I fixed some dinner and decided to exit the area and head over to Organs Loop which was just a few miles to the west.
OL 05.jpg

Arriving at the trail I proceeded in a clockwise direction not realizing I had already made a few fatal mistakes. It was dark and I would be attempting a trail I was unfamiliar with. Add to that the fact that many of my recent adventures had been back east so my expectations regarding potential difficulty were somewhat skewed. I was also running street pressure and during the first few miles in on paved roads...I asked myself, when will the fun begin. Be careful what you ask for.

The trail became very rough only moments later with a wide assortment of fist and cantaloupe sized rocks, everywhere. Sure, some were smaller, but others were larger with some being like a soccer ball or small watermelon. I attempted to convince myself that the trail could only be like this for a short amount of time.
OL 06.jpg

Three miles in things became even worse as I began to drop in and climb out of steep gullies. This was not what I had been expecting. I began one climb in two-wheel drive and experienced much tire slip so I shifted into four-wheel drive. As I began the climb again in the loose fist-sized rock my progress halted and the front end began to pull over to one side. Gravity was not going to give me a break tonight and not I had myself in an interesting predicament. I was all alone, without cellular service, it was dark, I was not able to move forward, and did I mention I had earlier identified signs of illegal aliens passing along the trail?

I stopped to consider where I was and what I had done. It was time for me to set my pride aside and scrub this mission. As I backed down and backed up things went from bad to worse. I was climbing a narrow shelf-road and although I had my rear camera, even it was not enough in these conditions. During this process I scraped the harmonic balancer on my rear driveshaft on one of the larger rocks and now it was free. I walked the trail to locate the strip of rubber that is part of the assembly and then tied the ring back on the nose of the differential using zip ties. Time to tuck my tail and limp off the trail. This may note have been a significant failure but it was a clear sign that things were moving in the wrong direction and I better slow down and move away from this area.
OL 07.jpg

After scrubbing the mission I performed additional review and decided to cancel it entirely. Maybe someday I would reattempt but for now I would roll into Silver City, New Mexico, and relax for the day. This was a fin little town and I am looking forward to visiting again and staying even longer.
OL 08.jpg

Here is some colorful art painted on a wall downtown that I enjoyed while eating ice-cream after lunch.
OL 09.jpg

I am back on the road and heading in the direction of Sedona to meet friends and knock down some beautiful trails in the area.
OL 10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread