Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Fuel Economy, am I lower than expected?

Firebird

Reaction score
Well, I hit 7.5 MPG.
- Running 87 octane
- 35 Toyo's
- city driving ( small city - 6-8 traffic light on commute to work, approx. 12-15 miles)
- truck only - not towing - empty box
Ouch!!!!!

Huntet02

Reaction score
Almost 1100 miles in 2 days, pulled an empty open trailer (about 900 empty) 1 way and loaded the other way (1700 loaded). Wind was mostly from the side with a 50/50 mix of 78 on the Interstate and 68 on the regular highways. Net hand calculated average over the whole round trip was 12.4mpg. I was actually pleasantly surprised it was so high.
Hmmmm …. Just got our 2020 2500 Hemi and pulling nothing on long highway stretches to/from our land we’re getting a sorry 8-10 mpg. Gotta educate ourselves quickly on what we need to improve ….. find myself driving my old 03 gas Silverado beader’

Huntet02

Reaction score
I get an average of around 15mpg if I'm not pulling anything and I drive at the speed limit. I get better if I set the cruise between 45 and 55 it will stay in eco mode most of the time.
What kind of engine ?

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Well, I hit 7.5 MPG.
- Running 87 octane
- 35 Toyo's
- city driving ( small city - 6-8 traffic light on commute to work, approx. 12-15 miles)
- truck only - not towing - empty box

People dont realize the penalty of larger (heavier) tires and running gear. 7.5 seems oddly low, but there is definitely a price to pay for a nice set of shoes.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Ouch. I totally missed the 87 octane part.

nope.. not in my vehicles lol!!

JE_75PW

Reaction score
People dont realize the penalty of larger (heavier) tires and running gear. 7.5 seems oddly low, but there is definitely a price to pay for a nice set of shoes.
100% on that one.
I did not realize the penalty would be this high. I knew the 35's were around 22lbs heavier, I really thought it wouldn't be noticeable. I never consider rotating mass at all.

If this is the price to pay for tires than, it is what it is. I'll take it.

I'll switch to 89 for a couple tanks and monitor. i'll also track the actual number just to verify the truck calculation ( but im sure it good)

Its interesting, 89 is recommended for the 5.7, however 87 is recommended for the 6.4

I appreciate the feedback on this one

Iowagon

Reaction score
Wow. I get 87 all the time. Most places it a choice between 87 or 93 and I'm not ponying up to pay for 93.

jadmt

Reaction score
my 202 owners manual says 87....
FUEL REQUIREMENTS — GAS ENGINE
6.4L ENGINE
Do not use E-85 flex fuel or ethanol blends greater
than 15% in this engine.
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality
unleaded gasoline having a posted octane number range of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method.
While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

I run it and get great mpg with 35's..
7CAAEC7B-3FE3-4557-AAC0-0BC45BAB231E.jpeg

gimmie11s

Reaction score
While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern.

Cant believe they put that in the owners manual... What in the............. lol

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
my 202 owners manual says 87....
FUEL REQUIREMENTS — GAS ENGINE
6.4L ENGINE
Do not use E-85 flex fuel or ethanol blends greater
than 15% in this engine.
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality
unleaded gasoline having a posted octane number range of 87 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method.
While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

I run it and get great mpg with 35's..
View attachment 26899

Cant believe they put that in the owners manual... What in the............. lol
Haha.

Where are all those Hemi tick or noisy Hemi complainers at? Tell them “it’s not a cause for concern” lol

liquid.ace

Reaction score
2022 manual says 87 as well.
just finished a 1300mi trip, averaged 12.5mpg on the gauges, no towing and about 500lb in payload
i ran 87-89 octane, i was never really trying for the best fuel economy but wasn't racing it either, just driving
a lot of elevation changes on the trip where i saw the mpg take some large hits but overall it is right where i expected it to be.
If i cruise around at 45-55 i get about 15-16mpg with eco on

@JC

Reaction score
I always run 91 but that's because that's the only way to get non-ethanol around here. I refuse to put corn byproduct in any of my vehicles or small engines.

Users who are viewing this thread