Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Fuel Economy, am I lower than expected?

GeneralClortho

Reaction score
It has been my experience that these trucks like open road at steady rpm's. Stop and go, short trips will tank the MPG. but this is nothing anyone here didn't already know. Anyone have a pedal commander set to economy, and how that effects MPG? just curious.
I have one on my Wrangler, which vastly improved its drivability, but made no difference on fuel economy.

I have found my wagon does better when I accelerate a little more quickly and level out the speed than if I slowly accelerate to the speed.

Reaction score
I have one on my Wrangler, which vastly improved its drivability, but made no difference on fuel economy.

I have found my wagon does better when I accelerate a little more quickly and level out the speed than if I slowly accelerate to the speed.

I don’t have a Power Wagon or a 2500. I have a Hemi 1500 and have experienced the same where getting to speed faster and leveling it out gives better MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
If this is true, I should be averaging 30 mpg!

Lol. I am not talking about flooring it just getting to speed and then feathering the pedal until you can maintain speed. By doing this on my 1500 I average 16-17 local and 21plus highway.

I expect this to drop since I just went to almost 35/11.5 from the stock 33/11’s on my oem 20” wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@JC

Reaction score
Almost 1100 miles in 2 days, pulled an empty open trailer (about 900 empty) 1 way and loaded the other way (1700 loaded). Wind was mostly from the side with a 50/50 mix of 78 on the Interstate and 68 on the regular highways. Net hand calculated average over the whole round trip was 12.4mpg. I was actually pleasantly surprised it was so high.

gerald

Reaction score
I get an average of around 15mpg if I'm not pulling anything and I drive at the speed limit. I get better if I set the cruise between 45 and 55 it will stay in eco mode most of the time.

CJTEX

Just came here to flex
Reaction score
Buy a tank for your truck bed and pull another 50 gal?

Loosebolts

Reaction score
City driving will plummet MPG! My truck takes a big hit driving in city traffic. Also, high speeds on the highway (75 MPH+) as the front of these trucks are as aerodynamic as a barn door.

That being said, I regularly see 16s on the dash. I’ve had a hand calculated best of 16.9… this is all on 37s.

View attachment 19076
Wait this is actually good!

gerald

Reaction score
Recently started using no ethanol gas and my mpg went up over 1 mpg sometimes averaging over 17

JE_75PW

Reaction score
Bought the truck and immediately drove it 1200 miles ( with MSD off, going for a proper break in here...I want oil to get in my new lifters for the first 1000 at least ) averaged 14. Around the city, getting 11 on stock tires.

Put 35s on and it dropped to 8 in the city. ( haven't done a road trip with the 35s yet) i know I didnt buy it for the fuel economy but did expect better. This is 1970's 454 camper special mpg. In 2021, I expect a little better.

Here's my thoughts

The programming is all wrong! ( hear me out)

The transmission is always looking for the truck to be at the lowest RPM's possible. Problem is, low RPMs does not equal low fuel economy, especially in real driving situations.
The other huge factor thats killing any chance of increasing the fuel mileage is the variable cam timing. the engine can make a ton of power at really low RPMs BUT, it still needs more fuel to do it.
so when the two ( variable valve timing and the transmission programming ) start working together, it creates a condition were the engine requires more fuel to make the power to needed to satisfy the lower RPM programming. This programming is putting the engine in this condition mostly during light driving conditions. this is typically where most of the driving takes place, so all opportunity for fuel economy is lost. I think this is why some people comment that they do better when they just accelerate to speed and coast rather than just taking it easy on it. that style of driving defeats the programming and gives you the truck back essentially.

This becomes noticeable when traveling up a hill, it feels like the truck holds the gear longer than i think it should, but at the same time it does have the power to do it. Even when you give it a little more gas, it doesnt want to change. it reminds me of going up a hill in a manual in 5th, you can do it, just by giving it more throttle, but its working harder than if you drop back to 4th.
also noticeable when first pull out from an intersection and began to accelerate, if you decide to increase your rate of acceleration, the truck will hold the gear much longer than i want it to and it seems that when you exit the programming limits, it wakes up and will drop 2 gears and RPMs jump to 4500. Its as if I asked the computer for more power and it says " how this? how about this? and this?" then gets mad "oh so thats not enough is it! you want more do ya!! ok well how about all 410hp!!!! hows that sound!! do ya like that?!?!...WELL do YA". Back to reality... of course i like it! and I roll with it, I put my foot into it and let her rip! im having a blast! until i notice the spidy senses tingling... first I check rear view for the red and blue...nothing...look down at the gauges...nope...then notice the passenger who happens to be my beautiful wife, giving me a look that needs no words to express her thoughts...and yet somehow I still say it , "what?" ( its amazing how well she can communicate without saying a word) .
Long winded but i thought id share my observations with a group of fellow PW owners.

stay tuned, I'll be posting a couple reviews on a few different other topics, steering ( video game like), safety group ( waste of money), 12" screen ( changing settings... before you drive)

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
I finally got 16 MPG on the highway. But was doing a lot of slow driving due to traffic.
Just did 400 mile road trip with a lot of 75 MPH and hit 14 MPG.
Did 500 mile road trip into Baja loaded and pulling a 5K lb trailer and got 11 MPG.
Got 6K miles on the truck now.

jetlag

Reaction score
I have a '21 Laramie 3500 Cummins powered SRW, non HO, long bed, 50 Gal. fuel tank, with 5900miles. My wife was commenting yesterday on the EVIC reading as we drove home from a family thanksgiving dinner. It was showing 20.5MPG, best so far since bringing it home. I drive a combination of city and country as we live 15 miles out of town. If I do a lot of driving in town it will drop down to 17-18MPG. Pulling out 16.5K 5th wheel I have routinely seen 11.3 MPG in flat country.

akguy09

Reaction score
Bought the truck and immediately drove it 1200 miles ( with MSD off, going for a proper break in here...I want oil to get in my new lifters for the first 1000 at least ) averaged 14. Around the city, getting 11 on stock tires.

Put 35s on and it dropped to 8 in the city. ( haven't done a road trip with the 35s yet) i know I didnt buy it for the fuel economy but did expect better. This is 1970's 454 camper special mpg. In 2021, I expect a little better.

Here's my thoughts

The programming is all wrong! ( hear me out)

The transmission is always looking for the truck to be at the lowest RPM's possible. Problem is, low RPMs does not equal low fuel economy, especially in real driving situations.
The other huge factor thats killing any chance of increasing the fuel mileage is the variable cam timing. the engine can make a ton of power at really low RPMs BUT, it still needs more fuel to do it.
so when the two ( variable valve timing and the transmission programming ) start working together, it creates a condition were the engine requires more fuel to make the power to needed to satisfy the lower RPM programming. This programming is putting the engine in this condition mostly during light driving conditions. this is typically where most of the driving takes place, so all opportunity for fuel economy is lost. I think this is why some people comment that they do better when they just accelerate to speed and coast rather than just taking it easy on it. that style of driving defeats the programming and gives you the truck back essentially.

This becomes noticeable when traveling up a hill, it feels like the truck holds the gear longer than i think it should, but at the same time it does have the power to do it. Even when you give it a little more gas, it doesnt want to change. it reminds me of going up a hill in a manual in 5th, you can do it, just by giving it more throttle, but its working harder than if you drop back to 4th.
also noticeable when first pull out from an intersection and began to accelerate, if you decide to increase your rate of acceleration, the truck will hold the gear much longer than i want it to and it seems that when you exit the programming limits, it wakes up and will drop 2 gears and RPMs jump to 4500. Its as if I asked the computer for more power and it says " how this? how about this? and this?" then gets mad "oh so thats not enough is it! you want more do ya!! ok well how about all 410hp!!!! hows that sound!! do ya like that?!?!...WELL do YA". Back to reality... of course i like it! and I roll with it, I put my foot into it and let her rip! im having a blast! until i notice the spidy senses tingling... first I check rear view for the red and blue...nothing...look down at the gauges...nope...then notice the passenger who happens to be my beautiful wife, giving me a look that needs no words to express her thoughts...and yet somehow I still say it , "what?" ( its amazing how well she can communicate without saying a word) .
Long winded but i thought id share my observations with a group of fellow PW owners.

stay tuned, I'll be posting a couple reviews on a few different other topics, steering ( video game like), safety group ( waste of money), 12" screen ( changing settings... before you drive)

Drive with TOW/HAUL on that will keep it in a a lower gear.

And I never let mine go to ECO mode as I always set my gear to 8 and it keeps it out of ECO. My avg MPG is about 14.9-15.1

akguy09

Reaction score
I have a '21 Laramie 3500 Cummins powered SRW, non HO, long bed, 50 Gal. fuel tank, with 5900miles. My wife was commenting yesterday on the EVIC reading as we drove home from a family thanksgiving dinner. It was showing 20.5MPG, best so far since bringing it home. I drive a combination of city and country as we live 15 miles out of town. If I do a lot of driving in town it will drop down to 17-18MPG. Pulling out 16.5K 5th wheel I have routinely seen 11.3 MPG in flat country.

Great....you know you're in the Powerwagon section? so comparing your Cummins to a 6.4 Hemi adds to the discussion how?

JE_75PW

Reaction score
Well, I hit 7.5 MPG.
- Running 87 octane
- 35 Toyo's
- city driving ( small city - 6-8 traffic light on commute to work, approx. 12-15 miles)
- truck only - not towing - empty box

Users who are viewing this thread