Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Aisin beginning to FAIL at 55,000 miles! ** HOT 150HP TUNE **

Reaction score
Yup, I wanna say it isn't so, but just this past week while hauling a fairly light boat of 8500#, my Aisin trans in my 2021 Ram 3500 MC DRW Limited is flaring hard on 3rd gear shifts and again on 4th gear shifts. Has anyone else had this issue on a <100Kmile truck? I am going to add a deeper pan and new filter/fluid tomorrow to see if it stops the issue, but it looks like I will need a rebuild soon!! Has anyone come close to cracking the programming for these yet? Sad fact is that I went >100K miles on five other 68RFE trucks without ever having one transmission issue... I finally buy a truck I thought was a "keeper" and it's "Slip Sliding Away..."

Reaction score
A failing transmission post after your other posts about being tuned sounds pretty predictable….
Quite possibly right but I have to say the money spent on this truck for the Aisin isn't worth it if it's going to fail with just a 150hp tune towing less than 15k on the hwy with 4.10 gears. My 2017 Laramie 2500 went 420k miles on the original 68RFE and a stage 3 BullyDog tune with zero issues towing the same weight with 3.73 gears and 20" wheels.

So where's the meat behind the hype for the ****ty-shifting, no one knows how to tune Aisin transmission now? I'm guessing ATS will be the answer and going Allison.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Quite possibly right but I have to say the money spent on this truck for the Aisin isn't worth it if it's going to fail with just a 150hp tune towing less than 15k on the hwy with 4.10 gears. My 2017 Laramie 2500 went 420k miles on the original 68RFE and a stage 3 BullyDog tune with zero issues towing the same weight with 3.73 gears and 20" wheels.

So where's the meat behind the hype for the ****ty-shifting, no one knows how to tune Aisin transmission now? I'm guessing ATS will be the answer and going Allison.

Typo? If not, you can't possibly be serious. "Just a 150HP tune"?

The Aisin is known for not taking high power tunes over time, particularly with the lack of programming. Sounds more like an issue with the tune.

Did you change the fluid at recommended intervals?

jetrinka

Reaction score
Flaring shifts automatically means complete rebuild? Weird. Couldn’t be a failing solenoid or other easily remedied issue. Unless you’ve done some good diag it sounds like jumping to conclusions

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Flaring shifts automatically means complete rebuild? Weird. Couldn’t be a failing solenoid or other easily remedied issue. Unless you’ve done some good diag it sounds like jumping to conclusions

If it's a solenoid, it's a new valve body, they don't offer replacement.

jetrinka

Reaction score
If it's a solenoid, it's a new valve body, they don't offer replacement.

Seems like a terrible design

Edit: And likely easier than a full rebuild (if found to be the issue)

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Towing 15k with a 150HP tune thats a recipe for disaster with a trans that requires a defueled shift….

And you must have had a horseshoe someplace special if you went that far on the 17 68rfe and if i remember right their stage 3 tune was only 80hp

When you add power you need to add supporting upgrades thats how it has always been

Reaction score
Well whatever it is... I have never liked this Aisin transmission. From the first day it would make the "Squeak" noise when shifting into 4th gear, so I have always "babied" my shifts by lifting my foot to anticipate the shift and let it hit easy. Never "Hot-Rodded" the truck, ever... as this is a tool for work.

As for the 2017 2500... yeah its called, just taking it easy and throttle lifting between shifts. It also began a slight flare right before I traded it in, but at least I can say with that truck, it went some serious distance first... not 55,000 miles.

Brutal: I have always changed fluids ahead of the recommended intervals... I am an Amsoil Dealer, changing the Engine Oil and trans fluid more than necessary. I just got my deep aluminum pan for the Aisin, so it will get a fresh change today and we'll see how it does this week.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Well whatever it is... I have never liked this Aisin transmission. From the first day it would make the "Squeak" noise when shifting into 4th gear, so I have always "babied" my shifts by lifting my foot to anticipate the shift and let it hit easy. Never "Hot-Rodded" the truck, ever... as this is a tool for work.

As for the 2017 2500... yeah its called, just taking it easy and throttle lifting between shifts. It also began a slight flare right before I traded it in, but at least I can say with that truck, it went some serious distance first... not 55,000 miles.

Brutal: I have always changed fluids ahead of the recommended intervals... I am an Amsoil Dealer, changing the Engine Oil and trans fluid more than necessary. I just got my deep aluminum pan for the Aisin, so it will get a fresh change today and we'll see how it does this week.
What oil did you put in the trans because amsoil does not make a specific oil for the Aisin trans only a multi vehicle oil, put the mobil oil it calls for in there…..

Reaction score
What oil did you put in the trans because amsoil does not make a specific oil for the Aisin trans only a multi vehicle oil, put the mobil oil it calls for in there…..

According to their website, it is specified for the Aisin transmission and I will call them to see if there is any gain or difference than the Toyota fluid Mobil1 offers.

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 9.57.13 AM.png

Lift89

Reaction score
Yea I’d have to agree a 150hp tune, while towing on a tranny that for the most part, can’t be tuned or built up is def a Recipe for disaster. The 68rfe can be tuned pretty well to handle power up to 100hp over stock and be somewhat reliable. Plus the 68rfe has endless mods you can do to it to make it really stout and reliable.

It def could be a tuning issue though, who did your tunes if you don’t mind saying. There’s about 2 people I’d trust tuning a Cummins with an Aisin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yea I’d have to agree a 150hp tune, while towing on a tranny that for the most part, can’t be tuned or built up is def a Recipe for disaster. The 68rfe can be tuned pretty well to handle power up to 100hp over stock and be somewhat reliable. Plus the 68rfe has endless mods you can do to it to make it really stout and reliable.

It def could be a tuning issue though, who did your tunes if you don’t mind saying. There’s about 2 people I’d trust tuning a Cummins with an Aisin.
My tune has been SPOT ON. No issues with the engine, much better fuel economy and coming from a background of tuning cars for 30+ years, I have to say, it is seamless for driveability without any ability to tune the transmission. After spending a year with this truck, I would happily welcome a built 68RFE over this slushbox Aisin that has no clue what is going on.

Understand... whether I use a 50hp or 150hp tune, I am never letting the truck shift while under load... I simply anticipate the shift, lift throttle and let it engage before rolling the throttle every time. Once the gear is engaged, the stronger parts of the Aisin SHOULD be able to handle a measly 150hp tune, if in fact it is actually making that much over stock. The torque demand vs Actual can be logged... as well as the defueling. I will run a few logs and see what the tuner has to say.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Regardless of your issue with the Aisin, posts that involve issues with that transmission are very rare. I have complete faith in my Aisin, but then the truck is stock.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Just curious, what is a 150hp tune even needed for? Doesn’t the truck have plenty of power to handle 15k load at stock?

I was gonna ask the same thing. My Aisin truck (all stock) yanks around our 14k 5er loaded with toys just fine... more than fine. I have to lift off the throttle to maintain 65mph up the grades.

Lift89

Reaction score
My tune has been SPOT ON. No issues with the engine, much better fuel economy and coming from a background of tuning cars for 30+ years, I have to say, it is seamless for driveability without any ability to tune the transmission. After spending a year with this truck, I would happily welcome a built 68RFE over this slushbox Aisin that has no clue what is going on.

Understand... whether I use a 50hp or 150hp tune, I am never letting the truck shift while under load... I simply anticipate the shift, lift throttle and let it engage before rolling the throttle every time. Once the gear is engaged, the stronger parts of the Aisin SHOULD be able to handle a measly 150hp tune, if in fact it is actually making that much over stock. The torque demand vs Actual can be logged... as well as the defueling. I will run a few logs and see what the tuner has to say.

Well then maybe you got a little lemon. But I do know a few people with the Aisin who said they can’t really go over 50hp tune while towing because it does get real sloppy and doesn’t know what to do.

I get your conscience about the shifting under load, but you shouldn’t have to be. Unless you 100% throttle while towing.

I tow my 5th wheel which is 12,200 dry on the tow tune, (30-50hp) and I’ll let my 68rfe shift as it feels. That was stock. Now I have a deep pan with revmax billet valve body and the upper line pressure. But the shifts are quick and crisp with the 68rfe and the tunes I have.

People hype so much about the Aisin! Stock, yes, the Aisin is better. Any power added and it’s sloppy as ****. I’ll take a 68rfe allllll day over an Aisin. Put a couple thousand into it and it’ll handle power no problem, within reason.

Lift89

Reaction score

Either way, let us know what you find out. Maybe try reloading the tune and driving easy again. And let it relearn it’s shift points and clearances.

Users who are viewing this thread