Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 3500 Aisin vs 68rfe...

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
Hello guys. I’m looking to trade in my ‘17 3500 68rfe Ram for a new 2020. Not sure which tranny I should go with. I tow pretty light utility trailers every day I’d say at the heaviest maybe 5000lb. Tow a 7000 pound jet boat pretty regularly.
My big tows/hauls happen probably 8-10 times a year. Towing the boat and hauling an Arctic Fox 990 truck camper. I figure 4500 pounds or so. A few of those trips are kinda nasty down into Hells Canyon on a real steep dirt road.
The 68rfe has not given me any problems and has always performed well. Truck now sits at 44500 miles.
Looking for input on the Aisin. Do you guys think I should be looking at that tranny or stick with the 68rfe? Thanks for any input you may have.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
2500 with 68RFE fits your plans. Ultimate weekend warrior. Great ride/driveability/can still haul crazy heavy stuff.

3500 with 68RFE if you plan to start pulling heavy 5ers but still want that daily driver feel.

3500 with Aisin if you think your plans will lead you to 15,000+ trailers/super 5ers/hot shot work down the road.

My .02c

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
Understood guys and thanks for the feedback. As I said my current 3500 is 68rfe equipped. I’ve never felt like it would fail me even on my most challenging tows/hauls.
My one gripe with my pick up is this: the second I hitch to anything, even really light loads, my MPG goes to hell. I can easily get 19-21 mpg unladen. Even my lightest loads take that down to 11-14 immediately. As I said I’m constantly towing something. Most those loads you’d consider light. Do you guys thing the HO/AISIN combo with 3.73 would help boost that MPG some?
Thanks again.

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
Oh also I guess I should add that the 3500 is a must do to the heavy cab over camper.

Jsrunnlus

Reaction score
My HO/AISIN averaged 21.3 mpg over nearly 3,000 miles when new and drank DEF like it was hooked to a factory supply. Usually see more along the lines of 18 mpg in the local driving here in the mountains. I have not really towed much light weight stuff. The small trailer and tractor is about 4800 pounds and have not seen a noticeable change in local mileage. Towing the CTL on its trailer with a weight of 15600# typically yields 14.5-15 mpg.

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
My HO/AISIN averaged 21.3 mpg over nearly 3,000 miles when new and drank DEF like it was hooked to a factory supply. Usually see more along the lines of 18 mpg in the local driving here in the mountains. I have not really towed much light weight stuff. The small trailer and tractor is about 4800 pounds and have not seen a noticeable change in local mileage. Towing the CTL on its trailer with a weight of 15600# typically yields 14.5-15 mpg.
I see thanks for that. Do you have the 3.73 rear end?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
2500 with 68RFE fits your plans. Ultimate weekend warrior. Great ride/driveability/can still haul crazy heavy stuff.

3500 with 68RFE if you plan to start pulling heavy 5ers but still want that daily driver feel.

3500 with Aisin if you think your plans will lead you to 15,000+ trailers/super 5ers/hot shot work down the road.

My .02c

The HO will get worse mileage across the board. That extra torque comes at a price. They have bigger injectors and more boost.

My results may not be typical to others posting in this thread - I live at ~6000 feet, about 1000 higher than the highest road in TN, and it only goes up from here.

aman

Reaction score
What gears do you have my 2020 ho with aisin has 4.10 and only gets 16 at 70 mph

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
Just test drove 2020 HO/Aisin 3.73 .Srw Tradesman. Wow what a funky shift that combos got! Lots of lag seemingly. Tow/Haul mode seemed to tighten the shift up a bit. For what it’s worth the little trip I took yielded a 16.2 fuel burn average. I was on the throttle hard most the time.
I learned that the factory air bags are only good up to 4000lb payload. After that they refuse to level according to the sales guy. That won’t work for me so that truck will get no consideration.
Driving another Aisin/HO combo tomorrow we’ll see how it goes.

carlrx7

Reaction score
I learned that the factory air bags are only good up to 4000lb payload.
ummm,, What? I'm going to say your sales person is full o sheet. The Air Suspension Payload Protection will kick in eventually, but i seriously doubt at 2k below max payload of a lightly equipped 3500 cummins.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I learned that the factory air bags are only good up to 4000lb payload. After that they refuse to level according to the sales guy. That won’t work for me so that truck will get no consideration.

Wait, what?

ummm,, What? I'm going to say your sales person is full o sheet. The Air Suspension Payload Protection will kick in eventually, but i seriously doubt at 2k below max payload of a lightly equipped 3500 cummins.

Agree.

I believe that it's UP TO a supplemental 4K depending on the actual RAWR/GVWR of the truck. The protection mode just lights up a an EVIC warning indicator and stops the compressor from adding more air to try to level an overloaded truck. I think it even cycles for a few seconds a few times then gives up and lights the warning. It's been suggested there's also a 500-600 lb variance allowed before anything weird happens.

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
I see thanks for that. It was the first thing the salesman guy told me when I got back from my test drive. Our camper is just over 3,500lb dry by the time you account for propane, water, and all the stuff my wife insists on loading in it I figured I’m over 4,000.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're going to drive it primarily with a truck camper installed, I would forego the factory air and get aftermarket air anyway which will also let you adjust side-side. That extra leaf in the non-air spring pack won't affect your ride, the truck suspension is designed to ride best when loaded.

Gemstatejake

Reaction score
If you're going to drive it primarily with a truck camper installed, I would forego the factory air and get aftermarket air anyway which will also let you adjust side-side. That extra leaf in the non-air spring pack won't affect your ride, the truck suspension is designed to ride best when loaded.
Understood thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread